View Full Version : DH took kitchen shears to my hair...

teal
February 13th, 2012, 07:10 PM
...because my youngest son managed to get a matchbox car stuck like glue to the hair at the base of my neck. I couldn't even get the car into my field of vision with any combination of mirrors to see if it could somehow be unwound. DH got most of the hair out but he said he had to cut "about 5 hairs".

Who gets dinky cars stuck in their hair??? Apparently me, haha. :p I have to laugh - what else can I do? I can't remember the last time I had to cut something out of my hair. Probably candy or something like that when I was little.

:scissors:

What have you had stuck in your hair that ended up being removed with scissors?

PF Graham
February 13th, 2012, 07:15 PM
...because my youngest son managed to get a matchbox car stuck like glue to the hair at the base of my neck. I couldn't even get the car into my field of vision with any combination of mirrors to see if it could somehow be unwound. DH got most of the hair out but he said he had to cut "about 5 hairs".

Who gets dinky cars stuck in their hair??? Apparently me, haha. :p I have to laugh - what else can I do? I can't remember the last time I had to cut something out of my hair. Probably candy or something like that when I was little.

That'll teach you to use the back of your head as a race track!

jeanniet
February 13th, 2012, 07:17 PM
I'm sorry you lost those few hairs, but that's really pretty funny. What on earth was your son doing with his car to get it stuck like that? Was he using you as a hill? :p

I'm afraid I haven't gotten anything that exciting stuck in my hair, so no great story from me.

Amber_Maiden
February 13th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Earrings... that happens a lot. And once we I got my hair hooked and knotted around door hinges..

Tia2010
February 13th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Ahh, one of the many the joys of parenthood..having weird things put in our hair :D I have had many "how the heck did that get in my hair!?" moments when my boys were young. lol

I've had sugar-daddy candies, lollipops, gum and yes,a matchbox car or two stuck in my hair when my boys were little. :) Thankfully they were never really stuck to bad and I was able to get it out without losing to much hair..

The worst was a curling brush (one of those curling irons that look like a round brush--it was the 80's).. It was stuck in there good! I still have no idea how I managed to do it..In a rush getting ready for a date I guess :p .. I had to twist, turn, tug and finally cut it out of my hair. I didn't loose too much but you could definitely tell it had been cut.

smartblonde21
February 13th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Haha! When I read the title to this thread I was so scared that he just chopped off all of your hair! It was a relief to see that it was only a few hairs. Hopefully that doesn't happen again!

Aliped
February 13th, 2012, 07:47 PM

My worst was a hairdryer, when a load of hair got sucked into the motor - it was years ago, but I lost a good chunk of hair!

hairyfan21
February 13th, 2012, 08:01 PM
LOL. That actually sounds like a funny story. Not gonna lie, I did laugh a little to myself when I first read it OP. I'm sorry this happened. But, your youngest son sounds like a little troublemaker ahaha :).

Kyla
February 13th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Silly putty, when I was little. I shudder at the memory. Most of it was removed with peanut butter and combing though :p

gracenotes
February 13th, 2012, 08:31 PM
teal, the story about the toy car is so funny!

When I was a LOT younger and more foolish (I guess I was about eight at the time), I decided it would be a great idea to wind my hair around one of those fine toothed plastic combs. What possessed me to do that, I may never know. My mom ended up having to cut it out; it was very securely attached to my hair. Luckily, I had much shorter hair at the time, so I don't think it had to be cut *too* much. :rolleyes:

mz_butterfly
February 13th, 2012, 08:34 PM
I got a comb stuck in my hair and I didn't have to cut it out but I had to pull quite a few hairs out. I am now very careful when I use brushes or combs.

melusine963
February 13th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Some swine put chewing gum in my hair at school when I was a kid, but luckily my friends got it out without too much damage. Your story reminds me of (voluntarily) sitting on the toilet lid when I was little while my mum cut my hair with her kitchen scissors. She used those scissors for everything, so goodness knows how blunt they were. Still, I kept my hair short enough back then that split ends were never an issue. It does make me cringe a little now!

HintOfMint
February 13th, 2012, 08:52 PM
You nearly gave me a heart attack with the title of this thread! I half expected some horror domestic violence story with an argument and... aaaaaah!

Shows how morbid I am :p

That's too funny about the car and your son though!

jacqueline101
February 13th, 2012, 09:09 PM
I'm sorry for your hair loss but its sort of funny.

akurah
February 13th, 2012, 09:21 PM
teal, the story about the toy car is so funny!

When I was a LOT younger and more foolish (I guess I was about eight at the time), I decided it would be a great idea to wind my hair around one of those fine toothed plastic combs. What possessed me to do that, I may never know. My mom ended up having to cut it out; it was very securely attached to my hair. Luckily, I had much shorter hair at the time, so I don't think it had to be cut *too* much. :rolleyes:

I've done that too. :doh:

Blackfire
February 13th, 2012, 09:38 PM
I got a walmart greater stuck in my hair back when it was waist length. :D she was wearing to many tacky rings and had the notion to pet me lol

Carrie Ingalls
February 13th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Silly putty, when I was little. I shudder at the memory. Most of it was removed with peanut butter and combing though :p

I'm glad I'm not the only one to have gotten silly putty in my hair! I also was little at the time, I think I must have been playing with it before bed and meant to place it on the night stand (I don't really remember)....but evidently I fell asleep before I put it away...needless to say it was stuck in my hair by the time I woke up. If my memory serves me right this happened on a Saturday night and we had Church the next morning...I think I went to Church with some (I think we pulled as much of the big chunks out as we could but didn't have time to fully deal with the situation until we got home) of the silly putty still in my hair (it was slime green). I don't remember exactly what we did to get it out, and mom didn't remember either. I don't think we cut it though.

A couple years before there was the time that I got a bunch of gum stuck in my hair (my older brother and older cousin had given it to me without asking my mother). All I remember was sitting on a log by the campfire (during the day) "FOREVER" while my aunt carefully combed all the gum out of my hair with peanut butter (and all the other kids were running around playing). I think I must have been between 4-6 years old at the time. Again, we didn't cut any of it out.

There was also an incident in which I got my hair caught in the Kitchen Aid stand mixer...mom stopped it really, really quickly, and she didn't have to cut me free but it had ripped out a fair sized chunk of my hair. Ouch. I still remember the sudden jerk and my head hitting the top part of the mixer.

Another time I accidentally got a chunk of hair ripped out as a result of running through a doorway to outside, my hair was down and the time and got caught on one of the little screw/bracket things holding the plexiglass or screen on the storm door. That was when I was a good bit older than the other incidents and I cared a lot more about the fact that so much hair had been ripped out.

Well, that is all the notable hair disasters I can think of off hand. To this day I am glad that my mom was never "quick to cut" my hair and if she ever cut something out of my hair it was only after exhausting all other options.

Elph
February 13th, 2012, 10:48 PM
The worst was when I was getting ready for my Deb Ball. I had a fantastic hairdo - think princess - braids back to where a crown would sit with ribbons through them and cascading spiral curls that made my tailbone length hair only reach my shoulders/bra strap.

Problem was my hair DOES NOT like curlers and the ones used were the velcro type and the knobbly type. After sitting in a chair for a good portion of the morning with my hair not wanting to dry/curl the decision was made to leave the curlers in untill just before the photos.
The hairdresser came to the house and after much pulling, yelling and screaming I think I had at least one curl cut, and the front tendrils were cut too.

In the end it looked bad though

morrigan*
February 13th, 2012, 11:00 PM
I got a comb stuck in my hair and I didn't have to cut it out but I had to pull quite a few hairs out. I am now very careful when I use brushes or combs.

This happend to me to, but at the end i had to cut it out and ended up with silly fringe

homesteader
February 13th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Back in grade school my grandma used one of the blow drying curling irons in my poodle like permed hair. After two hours of crying, she finally cut it out. Luckily, most was right at the back of the neck and hidden while it grew out.

Most recently, my daughter drove one of the motorized hamsters through my hair. I thought we had already learned about keeping them from hair after spending a good hour getting one out of her own. My hair was not so lucky and I ended up having to add a few layers to my hair to even out the cut.

sfgirl
February 13th, 2012, 11:46 PM
When I started stretching my ears I had these adorable fifty dollar gauges. They were intricate and curved and hand carved. They got stuck in my ultra fine hair and it was either break the gauges or break the hair. So I brOke the gauges

BlazingHeart
February 14th, 2012, 12:23 AM
My nephew came very close to doing that to me this summer! He likes to drive the cars over everyone, and I'm the only real longhair in the family (my sister, last I saw, might have been at APL, but I doubt she'll keep it long)

~Blaze

Toadstool
February 14th, 2012, 02:23 AM
I've done that too. :doh:

...And me!

Bagginslover
February 14th, 2012, 04:34 AM
I had a whole mini-bus full of girls spit their gum into my hair when I was younger. I was bullied really badly at school, and this was just another incident. Most of the gum came out fine, but a few pieces had to be cut out. Luckily I had a spiral perm, with layers at the time, and so the cuts didn't show. I think the mousse and hairspray actually saved me from the majority of the gum, coating my hair and keeping the gum from sticking properly

Alaia
February 14th, 2012, 05:47 AM
... and that so wasn't what I was imagining when I read the thread title!

I got gum in my hair that got cut out, but that's pretty much it.

HylianGirl
February 14th, 2012, 05:55 AM
I'm glad it didn't take too much of your hair away!

A couple of years ago, I was travelling and I took with me one of thos small fans, the ones that spin and use small batteries kinda like this one http://www.infinitobrindes.com/content/interfaces/cms/images/produtos/1417468136.jpg and I the tip of my hais got stuck in it x.x I tried taking it off gently, but it had to be cut so for a long time I had a strand of hair on the right side of my head that was shorter than the rest, but it wasn't really noticible, the strand wasn't that big and I managed to hide it.

But the WORST thing that has ever happened to my hair was when I was in the sixth grade I think... my hair was APL at that time and I was at a party during june (it's afestival we have here in Brazil, called "festa junina") and there were some boys that had those really small... I woundn't call fireworks, they are this really small things that you set on fire and they do a small pop, but they are really small, and I don't know the name in english. Anyways, I was talking with my friends in that festival and some boys nearby lit up one of those and it flew onto my hair =O Thankfully I didn't get burn but it did burn a part of my hair, at least it was only the ends, if I didn't have long hair or if I had it put up that thing would have gone to my face x.x I was really scared and managed to put it out, after that I was kinda in shock and left the place, it was really scary. I washed my hair but it was burned and couldn't be saved =/ but I'm still glad it didn't burn me, needless to say I never stay near those fire thingies again x.x

HylianGirl
February 14th, 2012, 05:55 AM
oops, didn't know that image was so big, sorry ^-^'

teal
February 14th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Wow, these are some great stories!! I'd never heard of getting a Walmart Greeter stuck in hair but hey I guess there's a first time for everything! The image I get in my head cracks me up. I would have been tempted to drag her along for the shopping trip... :)

I'm sorry you lost those few hairs, but that's really pretty funny. What on earth was your son doing with his car to get it stuck like that? Was he using you as a hill? :p

No, he's only 11 months old... I went to pick him up and he clung to my neck and bam, the car was stuck! It happened so fast, he was like a ninja. I don't let the kids drive things near my head, generally, mostly because I don't want them doing it to someone else when I'm not around.

The worst was a curling brush (one of those curling irons that look like a round brush--it was the 80's).. It was stuck in there good! I still have no idea how I managed to do it..In a rush getting ready for a date I guess :p .. I had to twist, turn, tug and finally cut it out of my hair. I didn't loose too much but you could definitely tell it had been cut.

Oh no! Now that you mention it, I got one of these stuck in my hair too when I was about 10 or so. It belonged to the girl living next door... her mom spent at least 30-40 minutes getting that thing out, and I haven't put one near my head since. I don't remember much of that, just that it happened.

LOL. That actually sounds like a funny story. Not gonna lie, I did laugh a little to myself when I first read it OP. I'm sorry this happened. But, your youngest son sounds like a little troublemaker ahaha :).

Laugh all you like - I am too, and I hope other people are as well! No real harm done and it's funny! Everyone's got to have a chuckle at their own expense from time to time. :D

But the WORST thing that has ever happened to my hair was when I was in the sixth grade I think... my hair was APL at that time and I was at a party during june (it's afestival we have here in Brazil, called "festa junina") and there were some boys that had those really small... I woundn't call fireworks, they are this really small things that you set on fire and they do a small pop, but they are really small, and I don't know the name in english. Anyways, I was talking with my friends in that festival and some boys nearby lit up one of those and it flew onto my hair =O Thankfully I didn't get burn but it did burn a part of my hair, at least it was only the ends, if I didn't have long hair or if I had it put up that thing would have gone to my face x.x I was really scared and managed to put it out, after that I was kinda in shock and left the place, it was really scary. I washed my hair but it was burned and couldn't be saved =/ but I'm still glad it didn't burn me, needless to say I never stay near those fire thingies again x.x

If they look a bit like miniature candles, we call those firecrackers, and wow that sounds terrifying! :eek: I have burned my hair from time to time, fortunately just a bit of the ends and nothing serious. It stinks (literally and figuratively). I'm glad you suffered no lasting injury... firecrackers are dangerous to play with!! Every Halloween we hear reports of kids that have injured themselves by doing something dumb like lighting a firecracker while it's still in the hand and trying to throw it.

heidi w.
February 14th, 2012, 12:59 PM
All longhairs have stories of hair being stuck in some weirdo situation. Just last evening, my updo fell out a bit and slid down the back of my head, and I couldn't feel my hairstick. I am at a friend's house, so I had to get his attention to come over and place my hand on the stick to unravel it out of my hair. Additionally I had on my ski jacket because I was also cold, so I was all bundled up. So I had to unravel the stick from my hair. Remove my jacket. Take my hair out of the bun formation that was lounding on the top of my back. Then I had to recoil my hair and put the hair stick back in.

It's just part of long hair life.

The worst I saw was a lady had to cut off some hair in the middle of the back of her hair cause one of her kids got a lollipop stuck in her hair. A fairly obvious chunk of hair was missing. I felt bad for her. She was the nicest lady and trying really hard to take care of her hair.

EtA: I think the zaniest hair stuck thing that happened to me was getting a chunk of hair rolled into my dog's leash. I was freaking out. Thankfully I didn't have to cut my hair. I was getting ready to think about unscrewing the outer box of the leash handle.

heidi w.

heidi w.
February 14th, 2012, 01:06 PM
I had a whole mini-bus full of girls spit their gum into my hair when I was younger. I was bullied really badly at school, and this was just another incident. Most of the gum came out fine, but a few pieces had to be cut out. Luckily I had a spiral perm, with layers at the time, and so the cuts didn't show. I think the mousse and hairspray actually saved me from the majority of the gum, coating my hair and keeping the gum from sticking properly

Armor!!

Sorry that hapenned to you.
heidi w.

HylianGirl
February 14th, 2012, 09:05 PM
If they look a bit like miniature candles, we call those firecrackers, and wow that sounds terrifying! :eek: I have burned my hair from time to time, fortunately just a bit of the ends and nothing serious. It stinks (literally and figuratively). I'm glad you suffered no lasting injury... firecrackers are dangerous to play with!! Every Halloween we hear reports of kids that have injured themselves by doing something dumb like lighting a firecracker while it's still in the hand and trying to throw it.

It was one of those firecracekers then x.x I still think I got lucky that it didn't burn my skin, if it were today I would totally go after the parents of those kids :mad: and I still don't get anywhere near things ever again, you can't be sure which way they'll go once they are lit up!

I missed your post first time reading this thread, I'm so sorry to hear that, it must have been awful!

BlondieHepburn
February 15th, 2012, 06:03 AM

I just have to say that this made me laugh quite a bit. You have all my sympathy for those few dear hairs... but a matchbox car? That's just cool. :laugh:

MandyBeth
February 15th, 2012, 11:22 AM
DH when his hair was loose last year got one of the dog's pinch collar tangled in his hair. That's the worst here so far.

PinkyCat
February 15th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Yikes. Lets see:

Gum.
Round vent brush.
Bolt on a swingset (I was stuck to IT).
This hellish Barbie auto-braid twirly thing from the 80s.
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5280/5866422091_a470372265_z.jpg
One of mom's little plastic curlers.

I think that's it.

berr
February 15th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Yikes. Lets see:

Gum.
Round vent brush.
Bolt on a swingset (I was stuck to IT).
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5280/5866422091_a470372265_z.jpg
One of mom's little plastic curlers.

I think that's it.

My daughter had something like that that barbie contraption back in the late 80's or early 90's. It was for very speedy rope braids if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure what she had was one of those hairstyling gizmos they often put on infomercials. She had it wound up in my hair. It wasn't as hard to extract as something that was in her hair once, though. My son had one of those forward and reverse battery powered jeep looking things. The wheel base was probably half a palm width. He decided to use my daughters head as 'all-terrain' as she napped on the couch. He went forward... saw that he had her hair trapped in the wheels.. so he reversed it... all the way to the scalp. Yes, I had to cut the damn thing out of her hair.

Hollyfire3
February 15th, 2012, 02:46 PM
I have gotten a Holly bush stuck in my hair...i was crawling after one of my little cousins because i had to catch them and my hair decided to wrap its stupid self around the bush....my cousin had to come back and untangle it...not fun!

mleung
February 15th, 2012, 09:32 PM
when i was much younger (maybe 4?), my brother decided to be nice, & made me a bubblegum necklace. next thing we knew it was stuck to my hair & i remember leaning over the bathroom sink while my mother tried to comb the sticky mess out. don't remember if she had to eventually cut it out, though.

we got into a lot of trouble when we were younger, though i maintain my brother was usually the instigator. ^_^

<3OnHerSleeve
February 15th, 2012, 10:00 PM
My mother was 5 when her sister was born and she went to stay at her godparents' house. She used to chew "Charlie" bubblegum and was told not to take it to bed... well she did and woke up with her already freshly cut short hair full with a load of gum in her hair. It had to be completely cut out and my mother ever since hates having her hair short.

Kaelee
February 15th, 2012, 10:20 PM
One of those awful round brushes. *lol* My mom promptly made me give the round brush away. I never had the desire for another round brush, ever.

Why do they even make those things anyway?

ylime
February 16th, 2012, 12:21 AM
funnily enough, mine was a comb.
when i was younger i tried to "curl" it and it got stuck :P

teal
February 16th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Reading through again and I'm startled at the amount of people who had to cut combs and brushes out of their hair. It's cracking me up that things that are *supposed* to be in hair are the ones getting caught up in it! lol

Isa Ferrara
April 17th, 2012, 02:02 AM
This thread is making me cringe!

With two older brothers and tbl hair growing up - well, you can imagine. June bugs, round brushes, clips, gum necklaces, necklaces in general...

My best story was when I was 4 or so. I was hiding/playing under my bed and my hair got wound in that metal fence-y thing that the mattress sits on. Everyone else was downstairs and I couldn't yell loud enough and finally just cried and cried. By the time my mom found me, she said it had been over 3 hours since she'd seen me and wondered why it was so quiet upstairs. She also said the carpet was soaked under me from crying. She had to somehow cut me out from under there. It's still a vivid memory for me but I can giggle about it now. I remember being terrified beyond imagination.

PrincessIdril
April 17th, 2012, 10:01 AM

Oh I know that thing!!! My aunt had that doll when she was a kid and I used to play with it all the time when I was little. Thankfully I had a serious head of curls as a kid so I didn't feel tempted to try it on myself!!!

joflakes
April 17th, 2012, 12:18 PM
This thread is making me cringe!

With two older brothers and tbl hair growing up - well, you can imagine. June bugs, round brushes, clips, gum necklaces, necklaces in general...

My best story was when I was 4 or so. I was hiding/playing under my bed and my hair got wound in that metal fence-y thing that the mattress sits on. Everyone else was downstairs and I couldn't yell loud enough and finally just cried and cried. By the time my mom found me, she said it had been over 3 hours since she'd seen me and wondered why it was so quiet upstairs. She also said the carpet was soaked under me from crying. She had to somehow cut me out from under there. It's still a vivid memory for me but I can giggle about it now. I remember being terrified beyond imagination.

Aww! That makes me sad to think of! Poor thing. I'm not surprised you were terrified. Horrid!

I don't think I got anything that bad stuck in my hair. I had accidental hair cuts...just not from stuck items!