PDA

View Full Version : What do you think would give a thicker hemline?

Fairlight63
February 13th, 2012, 03:00 PM
I was wondering what do you think would give you a thicker hemline, to cut your hair every 6 mon. say 3" off. Or to cut it monthly 1/2"?
Or do you think that it doesn't matter?
I am trying to thicken up my hemline & have been trimming off a little every month.

So what works better for you?

Kristin
February 13th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Monthly microtrims.

khrystyne572
February 13th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I'm thinking that it has less to do with how often you cut, and more with how you cut it. By this I mean can you get a dusted trim that is blunt?
Or what about a "stack" ? I'm not sure if ends can be stacked to look more blunt, but when people get short bob haircuts the stylist stacks it a bit so it looks really thick.

Madora
February 13th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Depends on how long you want to wait.

You can just trim 1/2 an inch a month or do it in one fell swoop with a blunt cut straight across the ends.

The blunt cut does give the illusion of thicker hair.

torrilin
February 13th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Neither.

If I trim 1/2" per month, I'm getting 1/4"-1/2" of growth per month. This is pretty substantial. I will (eventually) show taper even at that trim rate.

If I trim 3" every 6 months, again, still pretty substantial growth left. I'd gain something on the order of 1.5-3" with every trim.

If I want the thickest possible ends, I need to maintain at a given length for a decent length of time. I'd guess something on the order of 2+ years at lengths past waist. On my head, I need to trim off 1-2" every 6-8 weeks to maintain a length past shoulder but before waist. I'm not sure what level of trimming it would take to maintain past waist, but I'd guess somewhere in the same range since my growth didn't slow noticeably past BSL.

Amber_Maiden
February 13th, 2012, 04:27 PM
I think monthly micro trims would be what I would go with.

lapushka
February 13th, 2012, 05:17 PM
I don't know if it really makes a difference, to cut a little every month or so or to cut a bigger chunk off every 6 months. I usually trim 1 to 4 times a year, when needed. Right now I'm in the no trimming challenge.

blondie9912
February 13th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Hmm, that's an interesting question. I think I would probably go with a big chop to get most of the thin-ness off, so let's say 2-3 inches, and then trim about half an inch every 2 months to get to my desired thickness. After you reach your desired thickness, then I would probably go back to trimming half an inch every 4 months or so, allowing me to gain some length.

blondie9912
February 13th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Of course, it depends entirely on the person. Some people can go without trimming for two years (mind boggling to me) while others stick to monthly microtrims.

melusine963
February 13th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Neither.

If I trim 1/2" per month, I'm getting 1/4"-1/2" of growth per month. This is pretty substantial. I will (eventually) show taper even at that trim rate.

If I trim 3" every 6 months, again, still pretty substantial growth left. I'd gain something on the order of 1.5-3" with every trim.

If I want the thickest possible ends, I need to maintain at a given length for a decent length of time. I'd guess something on the order of 2+ years at lengths past waist. On my head, I need to trim off 1-2" every 6-8 weeks to maintain a length past shoulder but before waist. I'm not sure what level of trimming it would take to maintain past waist, but I'd guess somewhere in the same range since my growth didn't slow noticeably past BSL.

This is interesting. While I'm very curious to see what my terminal length would be, it might be better to be satisfied once I hit my preliminary tailbone length target, and maintain it there until the ends thicken up. At the moment I have a pretty dramatic taper from waist to hip, and I'm a little embarrassed to let it down. Unfortunately, this could well mean waiting two years before I can try gaining proper length again.

julliams
February 14th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Monthly will help to deal with splits ( if this is a problem for you) so I'm imagining that you would be more likely to have a thicker look to your hair for most of the time as opposed to only right after the 6 monthly cut. I personally find my hair grows into a V naturally so monthly trims would help to deal with this and keep it looking more uniform.

Avital88
February 14th, 2012, 12:35 AM
microtrimming! but make one of those microtrims an inch trim and i think you are fine,also when you notice your hair getting thicker i would only microtrim every 2 months instead of every month, i like to see growth too..:D

Anje
February 14th, 2012, 09:02 AM
I've been doing the "whack a few inches off every couple months" method for about the last 3 years and it's definitely working to thicken up my ends. (My braid is now a pretty even width down to my waist. Take that, taper!) I'm not particularly split-prone, so that seems to work for me and my lazy hair care methods.

StPaulaGirl
February 14th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Silly question: Does this mean that what you're aiming for is a straight-across hemline (as opposed to U or V-shaped)? I'm guessing U-shaped wouldn't look as thick since you still have hairs along the sides that are shorter in length, yes?