PDA

View Full Version : Baby Oil Creating Static

NowsTheTime
February 13th, 2012, 12:00 PM
I put two drops of baby oil on my palms, and then ran my hair between my hands to apply it. It instantly created static on about the last 4 or 5 inches. It was actually kind of funny to see my hair standing straight out.

But, I thought I read that mineral oil would help prevent static so of course I'm a bit confused. Aren't baby oil and mineral oil the same thing?

lapushka
February 13th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Can't say the static was instant, but ever since we started with the MO, static has appeared for some reason, curiously enough only on one side of my head, though. I'm not entirely sure it's the MO or if it's just coincidence.

ktani
February 13th, 2012, 12:40 PM
I put two drops of baby oil on my palms, and then ran my hair between my hands to apply it. It instantly created static on about the last 4 or 5 inches. It was actually kind of funny to see my hair standing straight out.

But, I thought I read that mineral oil would help prevent static so of course I'm a bit confused. Aren't baby oil and mineral oil the same thing?

Not all baby oils are mineral oil. It should have helped prevent static if it is mineral oil. It has for me on both damp and dry hair.

However, its effects are also affected by what is on the hair as in build-up or a lot of product. I have had straight conditioner create static on my hair, in the past.

NowsTheTime
February 13th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Do you put it when your hair is damp or dry? Mine was dry and I'm guessing I should have put it on when damp.

ktani
February 13th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Do you put it when your hair is damp or dry? Mine was dry and I'm guessing I should have put it on when damp.

That depends on the state of your hair. Mine is not dry as in lacking moisture. I tested the mineral oil/baby oil twice on damp hair and it worked great. This last time I used it on dry hair and the results were/are also great.

There is no build-up or product on my hair though, for the last 2 tests. For the first test, I used it over catnip as a treatment and rinsed out. ETA: Catnip does not build-up for me as enough of it is removed with shampoo, each time I wash my hair with shampoo - which is every time I wash it.

ktani
February 13th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Can't say the static was instant, but ever since we started with the MO, static has appeared for some reason, curiously enough only on one side of my head, though. I'm not entirely sure it's the MO or if it's just coincidence.

Ringing a bell - did you test something on one side of your hair or was that someone else?

Did you condition more on one side? Odd.

Catnip coats my hair somewhat. But if I miss spots during my treatment - I get static on those spots. I am careful to use it evenly and when I do - no static. I applied the same rule with the baby oil - very little used - but evenly distributed throughout my hair - and 0 static.

NowsTheTime
February 13th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I can't check to see what exactly what it is because the label has come off the bottle from being in the shower so long. It is the end of this bottle and I actually pulled it out of the trash to get those two drops, lol.

When I purchase again, should I just get mineral oil? Does some baby oil have other things in them that might not be good? I made a diffuser (air freshener) last week and read that mineral oil by itself is cheaper than baby oil so just wondering if I can't find it at the first store, should I just keep looking.

NowsTheTime
February 13th, 2012, 01:08 PM
I lack moisture but I still have some iron buildup to get rid of also. My plan of attack right now is to clarify with baking soda the next 2 washes, remove the iron on the second and a deep conditioning. I'll try the mineral oil again then to see what happens.

NowsTheTime
February 13th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Can't say the static was instant,
As I pulled my hands away my hair came with it like a fan, lol, was somewhat amusing and I did it a couple of times just so I could giggle!

ktani
February 13th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I can't check to see what exactly what it is because the label has come off the bottle from being in the shower so long. It is the end of this bottle and I actually pulled it out of the trash to get those two drops, lol.

When I purchase again, should I just get mineral oil? Does some baby oil have other things in them that might not be good? I made a diffuser (air freshener) last week and read that mineral oil by itself is cheaper than baby oil so just wondering if I can't find it at the first store, should I just keep looking.

Baby oil can be cheaper actually. The brand is not important. I used Johnson's. It should have just 2 ingredients - paraffinum liquidum (mineral oil) and fragrance. Extras can be problematic in terms of making hair greasy or tangle. For plain USP/BP mineral oil, just make sure it does not say heavy or extra heavy on the bottle.

ETA: If Vitamin E is an ingredient listed that is fine too - it is there to stabilize the mineral oil not as an oil.

ktani
February 13th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I lack moisture but I still have some iron buildup to get rid of also. My plan of attack right now is to clarify with baking soda the next 2 washes, remove the iron on the second and a deep conditioning. I'll try the mineral oil again then to see what happens.

You may be able to do both at once - clarify with baking soda and follow that with a well diluted lemon juice rinse you leave on the hair for a minute or two before rinsing.

You can then deep condition but not heavily - too much product - and when the hair is still damp - the drops of mineral oil.

NowsTheTime
February 13th, 2012, 01:31 PM
You may be able to do both at once - clarify with baking soda and follow that with a well diluted lemon juice rinse you leave on the hair for a minute or two before rinsing.

That reminds me of a question I had for you. I read on your blog about rinsing with an acid, that it removes calcium and magnesium, I think, but you didn't mention iron. I have some Malibu 2000 Iron Away that I was going to use. It seems like I remember that I had to add this to remove the iron in additional to the other minerals. Am I confused or will the acid rinse remove the iron in addition to the others?

ktani
February 13th, 2012, 01:38 PM
That reminds me of a question I had for you. I read on your blog about rinsing with an acid, that it removes calcium and magnesium, I think, but you didn't mention iron. I have some Malibu 2000 Iron Away that I was going to use. It seems like I remember that I had to add this to remove the iron in additional to the other minerals. Am I confused or will the acid rinse remove the iron in addition to the others?

The vinegar and club soda can remove calcium and magnesium and minerals in general and club soda neutralizes chlorine as well - almost any acid can help do that - club soda is more hair friendly though at pH 5.

The lemon juice citric acid and ascorbic acid chelates copper and iron.
http://www.apacchemical.com/CitricAcid.htm
"Citric acid is added to the well to chelate the iron thus preventing the gel formation."

NowsTheTime
February 13th, 2012, 01:49 PM
The lemon juice citric acid and ascorbic acid chelates copper and iron.
http://www.apacchemical.com/CitricAcid.htm
"Citric acid is added to the well to chelate the iron thus preventing the gel formation."

Thank you sooo much for that! I always thought the vinegar would work on the iron.

I wondered if citric acid is added to the salt pellets we use in our softener so I checked the label, "Iron remover additive" is what it says, so now I'm off to see if I can find out what that means.

ktani
February 13th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Thank you sooo much for that! I always thought the vinegar would work on the iron.

I wondered if citric acid is added to the salt pellets we use in our softener so I checked the label, "Iron remover additive" is what it says, so now I'm off to see if I can find out what that means.

You are very welcome.

Probably chelator.

NowsTheTime
February 13th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Citric Acid, yes! less than .5%, but improves iron removal 15% over the plain pellets. That must be the level that prevents bleaching of clothes...??? I dunno, I'll def be looking into that more.

Do you know of a way / website where I might be able to figure out how much citric acid might be available if I powder citrus peels? I wondering if I could put it in a conditioner as a regular maintenance type thing? Would it work or would the ingredients in the conditioner get in the way?

ktani
February 13th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Citric Acid, yes! less than .5%, but improves iron removal 15% over the plain pellets. That must be the level that prevents bleaching of clothes...??? I dunno, I'll def be looking into that more.

Do you know of a way / website where I might be able to figure out how much citric acid might be available if I powder citrus peels? I wondering if I could put it in a conditioner as a regular maintenance type thing? Would it work or would the ingredients in the conditioner get in the way?

You can buy citric acid powder. There are recipes here,
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=82681

lapushka
February 13th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Ringing a bell - did you test something on one side of your hair or was that someone else?

Did you condition more on one side? Odd.

Catnip coats my hair somewhat. But if I miss spots during my treatment - I get static on those spots. I am careful to use it evenly and when I do - no static. I applied the same rule with the baby oil - very little used - but evenly distributed throughout my hair - and 0 static.

My hair's divided in half and product is applied quite uniformly.

The second try with the MO was better, less static, also it was applied to the hair better, more uniformly. The static is quite high and on the right side of my head (at ear to jaw level), but it is in a spot where there's barely (or no) MO touching it. So it actually can't be the MO, can it? Hmm... so odd, and quite puzzling. And there's been no change in my regular routine either (WCC, leave-in, gel, serum or MO), nor in the products.

ktani
February 13th, 2012, 02:41 PM
My hair's divided in half and product is applied quite uniformly.

The second try with the MO was better, less static, also it was applied to the hair better, more uniformly. The static is quite high and on the right side of my head (at ear to jaw level), but it is in a spot where there's barely (or no) MO touching it. So it actually can't be the MO, can it? Hmm... so odd, and quite puzzling. And there's been no change in my regular routine either (WCC, leave-in, gel, serum or MO), nor in the products.

Well, if it is in a spot minus MO, then it is not the MO causing the problem.

You need less products with MO. So you may be able to cut down/eliminate certain things to get better results.

artiste
February 13th, 2012, 03:29 PM
I've noticed a dramatic increase in static the last few times I have experimented with mineral oil. I was actually just going to make a post about that, so thanks for the thread. lol

I think that mine may be caused by a few things. I have tried it without any conditioner, and I live in central Canada (where there is basically no humidity, especially in the winter). Could it be that my hair needs the conditioner underneath the MO in order to retain enough moisture to prevent the static? Other than the static it seems to be working nicely

I used it on clarified, damp hair, just in case that makes a difference. Also, my hair is rather fine.

lapushka
February 13th, 2012, 04:57 PM
You need less products with MO. So you may be able to cut down/eliminate certain things to get better results.

Trying that next time, thanks! :)

ktani
February 13th, 2012, 05:25 PM
I've noticed a dramatic increase in static the last few times I have experimented with mineral oil. I was actually just going to make a post about that, so thanks for the thread. lol

I think that mine may be caused by a few things. I have tried it without any conditioner, and I live in central Canada (where there is basically no humidity, especially in the winter). Could it be that my hair needs the conditioner underneath the MO in order to retain enough moisture to prevent the static? Other than the static it seems to be working nicely

I used it on clarified, damp hair, just in case that makes a difference. Also, my hair is rather fine.

Perhaps. Lightly conditioning can help if needed but as I said, you can get static with conditioner use too. ETA: It may be that you did not use enough mineral oil or it was not distributed evenly. I have found that to be true for catnip and static. ETA:2 It is not about giving up conditioner either. It never has been. That is an option for some who find they do not need it.

Trying that next time, thanks! :)

You are very welcome.

artiste
February 14th, 2012, 02:12 PM
[quote=ktani;1995531]Perhaps. Lightly conditioning can help if needed but as I said, you can get static with conditioner use too. ETA: It may be that you did not use enough mineral oil or it was not distributed evenly. I have found that to be true for catnip and static. ETA:2 It is not about giving up conditioner either. It never has been. That is an option for some who find they do not need it.

Thank Ktani. I tried with one more drop of MO, in combination with the conditioner. While it was still slightly staticy, it was nothing like it had been. I was suprised that the more worked better, rather than making it "oily".
I definitely knew that it wasn't about getting rid of conditioner. I was just trying it without to start experimenting it with the minimal amount of product, adding in as needed, ya know. I think that one more drop is close to being the perfect amount for me, even if it is more than I expected it would be.