PDA

View Full Version : Ladies who don't have perfect hairlines, what do you do with the flyaway & baby hair?

aquadreamer
February 13th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Thank you to all you ladies here at the long hair community, I finally managed to find some bun hairstyles that actually stays up the whole day for my hip length hair. Now, I love putting my hair up, because it's so comfy, and I had less breakage since doing this.

However, I have a problem with my hairline when I put my hair up: the unruly baby hairs. Actually, I'm not even sure if you can call it "baby hair", but those are hairs that have a very short terminal length. I have a whole bunch of hairs that are will only grow to 2 to 4 inches long around my hairline. They make me look really unkempt (also, friends and family say I look better when I wet my hair and slick it back).

Do you have any suggestions on how to keep the hair back? I'm a complete idiot about hairstyling. Should I use hairspray or hair wax? Would it be too damaging to use on a daily basis?

Thank you so much for your advice!

rock007junkie
February 13th, 2012, 10:41 AM
I hate sticky, hard gels and I cannot stand sprays. I have found though the best product the smooth those pesky hairs. It's called "As I am Smoothing gel". This one gives your hair shine and it doesn't leave your hair hard at all. I don't know what magic potion is in it but it manages to slick back your hair with ease and it doesn't leave your hair hard at the same time. You edn up with soft, shiny, slicked back hair.

Madora
February 13th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Thank you to all you ladies here at the long hair community, I finally managed to find some bun hairstyles that actually stays up the whole day for my hip length hair. Now, I love putting my hair up, because it's so comfy, and I had less breakage since doing this.

However, I have a problem with my hairline when I put my hair up: the unruly baby hairs. Actually, I'm not even sure if you can call it "baby hair", but those are hairs that have a very short terminal length. I have a whole bunch of hairs that are will only grow to 2 to 4 inches long around my hairline. They make me look really unkempt (also, friends and family say I look better when I wet my hair and slick it back).

Do you have any suggestions on how to keep the hair back? I'm a complete idiot about hairstyling. Should I use hairspray or hair wax? Would it be too damaging to use on a daily basis?

Thank you so much for your advice!

I have those also, aquadreamer. Most of them lie flat but at times they can get a little squirrely and it's then that I reach for a small bit of coconut oil, apply it to my hands, then run my hands through the unruly shorties.

Hairspray is not good for your hair. If you need to use it, do so sparingly (preferably not at all).

teal
February 13th, 2012, 10:43 AM
What do I do? Leave them. They go nuts, and when it rains (which is often) I end up with riotous corkscrews. I've tried containing them before with little success. Spray was the the best of the products but didn't stay around long when it got wet. The only thing that was even half acceptable was to pin the longer ones down with barrettes.

spidermom
February 13th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Rub a small amount of gel between wet palms. It makes a HUGE difference.

That's usually how I control all those fly-away shorter hairs. If I really want a smooth look, I break out the heavy-duty control: pomade, wax, or styling putty. A little goes a very long way, and nothing works better.

aquadreamer
February 13th, 2012, 10:45 AM
I hate sticky, hard gels and I cannot stand sprays. I have found though the best product the smooth those pesky hairs. It's called "As I am Smoothing gel". This one gives your hair shine and it doesn't leave your hair hard at all. I don't know what magic potion is in it but it manages to slick back your hair with ease and it doesn't leave your hair hard at the same time. You edn up with soft, shiny, slicked back hair.

Thank you for the recommendation! I will check this out! :)

FrozenBritannia
February 13th, 2012, 10:46 AM
I pretend they don't exist... :)

aquadreamer
February 13th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I have those also, aquadreamer. Most of them lie flat but at times they can get a little squirrely and it's then that I reach for a small bit of coconut oil, apply it to my hands, then run my hands through the unruly shorties.

Hairspray is not good for your hair. If you need to use it, do so sparingly (preferably not at all).

coconut oil sounds interesting (and undamaging). I'll try it out! Thank you! :)

ouseljay
February 13th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Some leave-in conditioners can help with these. I have a shea butter based one that is too thick for normal use, but works just right to tamp down the exuberant hairs. I usually just leave them be, though, I tell myself they provide character. ;)

Alaia
February 13th, 2012, 10:51 AM
I leave them. I find everything slicked back makes me look too severe, and having my cowlicks (I have one on my left temple that the hair never grows more than 1.5" long) softens the updo around my face.

Whenever I really need it perfect I use a natural hairspray (Tresemme naturals) which isn't sticky for me. Tried the coconut oil before and it didn't work.

hisprincess
February 13th, 2012, 11:03 AM
I take a few little fuzzy pieces along my hairline, wet them and put conditioner on them, and twist them around my finger until they form little spirals. They're nice accessories when the rest of my hair is slicked back.

torrilin
February 13th, 2012, 11:55 AM
If I want super sleek, aloe vera gel, leave in conditioner or a bit of coconut oil will do the job. For oil, it should be just enough to get my palms looking slightly shiny. With my usual leave in conditioner, a pea sized drop is plenty. For aloe vera gel, maybe a smidge more.

My hair and face are not well suited to the sleekest possible look tho. I have really fine hair, and it tends to float in a halo around me. If I want to enhance the visual impact of my halo, using proper hair gel encourages clumping so it looks like proper curly wisps. My leave in conditioner is not as good at encouraging clumping, but it helps some... gotta use more and style my hair a bit differently tho. And the curl clumps seem to help protect my fine hair, so it's worth encouraging.

morrigan*
February 13th, 2012, 12:05 PM
I use aloe vera gel, i rub some between wet palms and then smoth my hair. But i rarely want very slek look so i don't use it often.

Carolyn
February 13th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I like my little baby hairs so I don't often try to slick them back. When I do I use hair spray or some kind of a gel type styling product. Aloe vera gel does nothing for me.

cooklaezo13
February 13th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I find that aloe vera juice or a thin, watery aloe vera gel is perfect for slicking back the baby hairs.

Seeshami
February 13th, 2012, 05:54 PM
I ignore them. It's the only way I won't just pull them out and start the vicious cycle all over again.:cheese:

freecelt
February 16th, 2012, 12:03 PM
I take a few little fuzzy pieces along my hairline, wet them and put conditioner on them, and twist them around my finger until they form little spirals. They're nice accessories when the rest of my hair is slicked back. I've been doing this too and liking it.

Other tricks are bobby pin them on the sides. Hair spray (*gasp I know this is in desperation). Part hair far to one side fresh out of the shower goop up with aloe and sometimes a touch of oil. At some point in the cycle let them go wild for a bit them wet them and tuck behind ears :) HTH!

white.chocolate
February 16th, 2012, 12:11 PM
You might not like what I did. I had a cowlick and lots of flyaways coming down on my forehead, and that was disturbing me because I would look really messy after a while, as if a great wind had just blown on my face. I chose to give myself bangs, and I still have them now. They helped a lot with concealing the cowlick and flyways. I have never tried smoothing them down with products like oil and gel, so I can't comment on those. I hope you do resolve this problem.

terpentyna
February 16th, 2012, 12:25 PM
I pretend they don't exist... :)

Me too. I leave them be.

jacqueline101
February 16th, 2012, 12:26 PM
I have those too. I try to use bobby pins to hold them.

tigereye
February 16th, 2012, 12:58 PM
If they're bothering me, I use a tiny blob of aloe vera gel rubbed on my palms then smoothed over the annoying hairs in the finished hairstyle. It works well for my fine hair, and isn't sticky, as long as you don't use too much. I heard people have success with coconut oil, but it can be a bit heavy for me.

pink.sara
February 16th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I do absolutely nothing.
Apart from redoing my hair at least once an hour, if it's up, to try and contain the little flyaway buggers!

freecelt
February 16th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Ah, forgot, sometimes I use aloe and do a perimeter lace braid from an of center part. They usually stay contained in that :)

cfreya
February 16th, 2012, 02:47 PM
If they're bothering me, I use a tiny blob of aloe vera gel rubbed on my palms then smoothed over the annoying hairs in the finished hairstyle. It works well for my fine hair, and isn't sticky, as long as you don't use too much. I heard people have success with coconut oil, but it can be a bit heavy for me.

I second the aloe gel suggestion :)

HylianGirl
February 16th, 2012, 03:05 PM
I have the same problem, great tips guys! I'll try the aloe vera gel and the coconut oil ^-^ A couple of years ago, I got so uset about thos short hair I cut them off but it looked even weirder 'cause it kinda gave me the "man going bald" hair line on my foreheard =P So nowadays I just try to ignore them or use bobby pins, but as I said, I'll try the coconut oil ^-^

cremenoir
February 16th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I use a light mist wax/pomade to keep my baby hairs in line. Hairspray is too drying and doesn't hold as well, plus it looks and feels crunchy. With wax, if a hair comes out of place, you can easily slick it back down. A little goes a long way though, you definitely don't want to use too much. I like mist waxes because they allow you to get a nice light, even coat.

gossamer
February 16th, 2012, 05:14 PM
It just hangs out around my face, doing its thing. :p And if it's not sticking out, then it's a good indication I probably need to wash my hair again soon!

LittleOrca
February 16th, 2012, 07:15 PM
I use bobby pins, since most my fly aways can be controlled by them. I also use a product from LUSH called R&B. It controls my baby hairs very well. Im so glad I found it.

blondie9912
February 16th, 2012, 09:06 PM
I apply coconut oil to my palms, rub it over the hairs in a smoothing motion (towards the back of my head) and smooth the hairs further with a BBB

sfgirl
February 17th, 2012, 12:05 AM
I'm looking forward to when my bangs grow out and I can participate in this thread! I know I have baby hairs but they don't come out right now