PDA

View Full Version : When do you deep oil?

LissaJane
February 13th, 2012, 08:13 AM
For some reason, every time I attempt to search, my browser just can't take it so I apologise if this is very obvious in other threads.

When do you put deep oil treatments in your hair? Does it even make a difference when you do it?

Because I like to stretch my washes I don't wanna be oiling my hair up too soon after I wash my hair, but then I also don't want my hair to get so naturally oily that I don't absorb any of the other oil I'm applying :p

I've been going somewhere in the middle since I've been doing it.

When do you like to give your hair a good oiling? Do you have a specific timeline you follow?

Shaaaaare! :D

Amber_Maiden
February 13th, 2012, 08:32 AM
I always use a lot of oil in my hair- because of how thick it is. I use oil every day. It would probably be a deep oiling for anyone else who didn't have my hair type. I use a ton of oil, or do treatments, on the my wash day.

curlsgalore
February 13th, 2012, 08:45 AM
About once a week on a day I know I will be washing. I use coconut oil as a leave-in as well.

ravenheather
February 13th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Do you all use the same oil everyday as a deep treatment and just vary the amount or do you use different oils?

curlsgalore
February 13th, 2012, 08:51 AM
I use a mix of oils for a deep treatment..EVOO, coconut oil, camellia oil, rosemary and lavender essential oils. I use an oil shampoo (shampoo/coconut oil) every other day and some coconut oil (or my blend) as a leave-in. This works wonderfully for me :). I want to try babassu oil as well.

ETA:As far as amounts, my hair is very curly and requires a lot of oil for a deep treatment. I just keep adding oil to my hair until it looks and feels completely coated, leave on for at least an hour and then wash. Sometimes I just use the coconut oil and sometimes my mix.

CastaDiva
February 13th, 2012, 09:49 AM
I soak my hair in evoo the day before washing. I have tried other oils as well, but I have found that evoo is the right oil for my hair. I have been oiling for about 6 months, and it has done wonders for the quality of my hair! It is really amazing how well it works.

woolyleprechaun
February 13th, 2012, 09:53 AM
I use a tiny smear of coconut oil daily, starting the day after wash day. I give it a good heavy oiling the day before washday (I like to give it at least 24hrs, but thats because I figure if Im wearing a hat for greasy roots, I may aswel oil the living daylights out of it at the same time ;))

Madora
February 13th, 2012, 09:57 AM
After my hair has been shampooed and dried overnight, I give it an EVOO treatment..but go easy on the oil (less than half a cup).

It stays on all day and overnight, then is shampooed out the next day, followed by diluted conditioner.

EVOO leaves my hair feeling fantastic and is a terrific aid when braiding my hair.

ps Only EVOO once a month.

Silver Swan
February 13th, 2012, 11:50 AM
I try not to wash my hair more than once a week, so only oil on the day before or day of wash day. I've been putting castor oil on the roots and EVOO through the rest of the length. I haven't been doing this for long, so I don't have a specific time frame yet (how long I leave it in for and time of day that I do it has been a bit random).

spidermom
February 13th, 2012, 11:57 AM
When my scalp area gets oily, I oil the rest. Then I wash it (usually the next morning).

I don't like oil in clean hair; it attracts dust and lint.

smartblonde21
February 13th, 2012, 07:42 PM
I deep oil once a week, the night before a wash. That way it can soak in all night. I do a light oiling everyday with coconut oil to tame flyaways and to add softness.

LissaJane
February 14th, 2012, 02:47 AM
lotsa insight :)

I generally use a tiny amount of coconut oil everdya and do an oil treatment once a week with a mix of oils, sometimes with honey and sometimes with cinnamon. I'm currently trying out the garlic thing someone made a thread about a while ago. I think I'll try just about anything for a bit of extra thickness haha.

Thanks for all the replies!

Siiri
February 14th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Deep oilings didn't really do anything for my hair, except left my hair oily, so I don't use them anymore. I prefer SMT's or other non-oily moisturizing deep treatments, which I do once a week. I use a small amount of mineral oil as a leave-in after every wash.

MegaMystery
February 14th, 2012, 02:55 AM
I don't do a deep oil treatment regularly (though i wanted to do one once every week this year, it didn't happen, i'm lazy :rolleyes:), but when i do one i usually do one the night before i wash in the morning, or when i have a day off i do one in the morning and wash sometime later that day. I'm really experimenting with oils right now, because i ordered a lot of them so i make myself use them all :o.
It so happens that i have one in my hair right now, i mixed coconut oil, shea butter and castor oil and just soaked my hair with it... now it's under a plastic bag and a tshirt to keep it warm :D When i finish my homework, i'll wash it out.

B-L
February 14th, 2012, 02:58 AM
I do oil treatments day before or the on the wash day. I use a castor oil mix on my scalp and evoo or coconut oil on the lengths. I don't soak my hair but I do have a lot so it looks oily but it's not hard to wash out.
After the wash, I use mineral oil on the ends only. I take a itty bitty tiny amount of coconut oil daily when I wan't to put my hair up.

Avital88
February 14th, 2012, 03:47 AM
after i washed it a few drops on whatever oil i see on my ends, then i usually start deep oiling after 2 days, between that i sometimes use a serum to get my brush easier through

chai-blue
February 22nd, 2012, 07:56 PM
i oil when i feel my hair getting dry, before a special occasion, and before i use clarifying shampoo. :)

maborosi
February 22nd, 2012, 07:59 PM
I oil daily. I do use quite a bit of oil, but I just kinda let it soak in. Deep oilings are really not very frequent for me since I've usually got some in my hair already, lol. Usually, in the morning and at night before bedtime, I oil. Bedtime is when I -usually- oil my scalp, unless I don't feel like I want to have to get up early and wash it out in the morning.

Interestingly enough, I have found that regularly oiling my hair has made it easier for me to stretch washes! :D

~maborosi~

Sillage
February 22nd, 2012, 08:14 PM
I don't deep oil very much but I do use oil every time I wash my hair. My normal routine is to shampoo and condition and then to oil my hair while it's still damp. Generally I use either rosehip seed oil or shea butter. Sometimes I mix them with a leave-in. About the only time I deep oil is right after I dye my hair.

WaterMusic
February 22nd, 2012, 08:30 PM
I use Panacea every day, or every other day. It's kind of on an as needed basis. The night before wash day I put the Panacea in as usual, and then coat my scalp with another Nightblooming product, Triple Moon Anointing Oil. Sometimes I will put a much greater amount of Panacea on my length, but not always.

I don't like to use oil on my length, it doesn't absorb well for me.

BrownEyedBeauty
July 22nd, 2012, 08:02 AM
I use EVOO either the day before I wash it or the day of as long as I have several hours before washing the oil out. I don't mix the EVOO with any other oils. I am very pleased with this one on its own.