PDA

View Full Version : Why does dye refuse to stick to my hair?

lmfbs
February 12th, 2012, 11:58 PM
I got my hair professionally dyed at a salon about 18 months ago. My hair then was pretty much all virgin, undyed hair. It was dyed close to my natural colour (med brown) with blonde highlights and very rich, chocolate brown lowlights.

Since then, I dyed at home with a couple of shades darker than my natural hair (permanent dye) which washed out after about 2 months (back to total bleached blonde highlights). This was about 6 months after the initial dye.

About 6 months after that, the regrowth was getting unbearable, so I got it professionally dyed slightly lighter than my darkest lowlights, but still darker than the highlights and bleached bits. That washed out after about a month. I went back to the salon who were baffled.

I tried dying at home again, which washed out quickly. Since then, I've started a modified CG method, and have started caring for my hair a lot better, but I REALLY want to get rid of these stupid blonde bits that are now sitting just above my shoulder.

About 4 weeks ago, I dyed with henna, after at least 6 months of no dying. I've had about 7-8 inches of growth since the last time I dyed.

The henna was in for 5 hours and included EVOO in the henna, then I followed with a DT. I've washed maybe 8-10 times since then, and each time, more of the henna has washed out. The blonde highlights are back to being really noticeable (albeit darker and red tinged), and generally, my hair is looking closer to natural each time I wash.

The henna isn't even sticking to my roots, which are dye free. Any ideas why dye isn't sticking to my hair? Should I give up dying and just suck up the blonde highlights until they grow out?

Seeshami
February 13th, 2012, 12:09 AM
Growing out is what I am trying to do with henna. But Next month I am loading up the indigo and katam to try and tone down the red again right before my wedding. Honestly patience has gotten me farther then trying to fix it has.

elthia
February 13th, 2012, 04:49 AM
How long did you let the henna sit...or was the henna demised?

What kind of henna did you use, and what was the percentage of lawsone??

What did you mix your henna with? I know a lot of people say to use something acid, but I get much better dye results if I just use warm water versus lemon juice, or vinegar. Besides the lemon really fries my hair.

Avital88
February 13th, 2012, 05:09 AM
ive experienced the same with blonde highlights, they just never cover up!!
Doesnt matter what i do, i still have lighter bits in my hair of highlights that i had proffesionally done at a salon almost 3 years ago.
I think its just damage and we have to grow it out completely.

Milui Elenath
February 13th, 2012, 05:42 AM
I've definitely experienced complete wash out with chemical dyes (and perms) (and usually by the second wash!) but not with Henna although it does fade a little bit over time and washes on me. How many times have you used Henna because I believe I've read that it can hold better after a few uses as the henna keeps holding to itself. One of the Henna gurus probably know the specifics :)

flowylocks25
February 13th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Hi there,i dont no anything about henna but i have blonde highlights and have gone dyed my hair brown a few times,but to get brown dye to take over blonde you have to go red first i go brown with a lot of red and that sticks and then after letting the hair recover can dye it brown

Long_hair_bear
February 13th, 2012, 07:26 AM
I have the opposite problem. Dye sticks too well to my hair. A certain brand of purple didn't want to come out, even after dying dark brown on top if it! What gives? I think my hair is very porous.

StPaulaGirl
February 13th, 2012, 07:45 AM
I have the same problem and considered posting this very question after trying to dye my hair with semi-permanent dye that didn't seem to stick at all. So I'm curious to see everyone's answers. What would make hair less porous than normal?

Amber_Maiden
February 13th, 2012, 08:13 AM
I have the same problem and considered posting this very question after trying to dye my hair with semi-permanent dye that didn't seem to stick at all. So I'm curious to see everyone's answers. What would make hair less porous than normal?

I think it has to do with the hair structure, and sometimes it has to do with damage. People talk about how henna or dye gets darker and deeper where their is damage- like at the ends of your hair.

lmfbs
February 13th, 2012, 01:01 PM
How long did you let the henna sit...or was the henna demised?

What kind of henna did you use, and what was the percentage of lawsone??

What did you mix your henna with? I know a lot of people say to use something acid, but I get much better dye results if I just use warm water versus lemon juice, or vinegar. Besides the lemon really fries my hair.

I used Lush coco rouge, which I mixed in the same way as I did last time I henna'd (with coffee) and let the colour develop while I got everything else ready. The lush stuff has all the acids etc mixed in, but I also added a couple of tbs of almond oil, but almond oil is what I usually use on my hair. I'm so baffled.

I've definitely experienced complete wash out with chemical dyes (and perms) (and usually by the second wash!) but not with Henna although it does fade a little bit over time and washes on me. How many times have you used Henna because I believe I've read that it can hold better after a few uses as the henna keeps holding to itself. One of the Henna gurus probably know the specifics :)

I'm glad it's not just me, I can't figure this out! This is the first time I've used henna in years, and any previous stuff has long grown out. Maybe I need to re-do it. Although, now I'm thinking I should just grow it all out and get over it. *sigh*

I thought my hair was quite porous; it soaks water and conditioner and oil forever, and takes hours to dry (like....8+). Maybe it's not - how can I tell?

I think it has to do with the hair structure, and sometimes it has to do with damage. People talk about how henna or dye gets darker and deeper where their is damage- like at the ends of your hair.

Hmm, it wasn't darker at the ends, I was actually really impressed with how even it was. My hair is dry (curly) and there are a few splits, but a trim and S&D has mostly taken care of that. All in all, my hair is in pretty good condition despite all the dyeing, but I assume that's because it hasn't penetrated the hair shaft?

elthia
February 13th, 2012, 07:59 PM
I know a lot of people say that Lush henna fades after a month or two because it is mostly cocoa butter.

I would try to henna again with BAQ henna from henna sooq or from henna for hair and mix it yourself.