PDA

View Full Version : Ever get surprised by your length?

Kaelee
February 12th, 2012, 05:47 PM
I've been wearing my hair up all of the time this past week (because I got a new tattoo and wanted to keep my hair well away from it).

I saw it in the mirror when it was down and I was surprised with how long it had gotten! :D

Long_hair_bear
February 12th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Benign neglect ftw! But ya, my hair grew an inch this month with mn. I thought it looked longer, but I dared not get my hopes up. :)

Diamond.Eyes
February 12th, 2012, 06:06 PM
I have been wearing my hair up for a few days non-stop now When I let it down this weekend to go out to dinner, me and my DF were both pretty surprised at how much longer it seemed. But maybe it was just because I hadn't seen down for a while. :p

Amber_Maiden
February 12th, 2012, 06:32 PM
I had it down the other day, and was brushing it at my vanity- so I could see it in the mirror. I usually don't look at myself in the mirror unless I'm putting on makeup. I WAS surprised at how long it seemed! :)

Vanille_
February 12th, 2012, 06:35 PM
I watch a lot of hair tutorials on youtube. After making my first one, I realized my hair is pretty long compared to a lot of other youtubers. I never think of my hair as long, but seeing me brush it and play with it from behind, it looked kinda long!

annamoonfairy
February 12th, 2012, 06:44 PM
I am always surprised when I see pictures of the back of my hair : )

turtlelover
February 12th, 2012, 06:58 PM
I felt mine tickle my back through a thin shirt, and since it has been awhile since I've had long hair, I had forgotten what that felt like. I was definitely surprised!

MoonlightShadow
February 12th, 2012, 07:14 PM
I felt mine tickle my back through a thin shirt, and since it has been awhile since I've had long hair, I had forgotten what that felt like. I was definitely surprised!

The color of your hair...... It's amazing.. It looks so majestic and beautiful! :)

MoonlightShadow
February 12th, 2012, 07:16 PM
I get very surprised o.o....I hope to be surprised soon again the next time I take it down. And congratulations on your growth :)

shikara
February 12th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Oh yeah, especially lately for some reason. Its just now resting on my thighs when I sit down, just enough to curl a little!!

Mai Gloeckchen
February 13th, 2012, 12:41 AM
I was surprised twice last week.
First, it was the first time I caught my ends in my waistband.
Second, I was driving my car with my hair down, because the hairstick slipped out all the time and it was really difficult! I had to fight with the seatbelt and be carefull, that I wont catch my ends in the door or that thing where the seatbelt is comeing out. It was hard to turn around to see what is behind me (parking), because I was bound to my seat, leaning against my hair on my back.
It was both: funny surprising and a bit anoying.
Next time I drive, my hair will be in a safer updo.

miissmonmon
February 13th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Happened to me when I pulled one of my tight curls down, and was shocked to see it was an inch or 2 above waist when my hair straight has never been past BSL :cheese:

bubblyredhead
February 13th, 2012, 01:59 AM
I have not been letting myself check the length until lately when my mom said something about my length she pointed out that my hair was at my waist and it shocked me.

savannahlove
February 13th, 2012, 04:00 AM
Definitely. I came out of the shower and realized my hair was completely past waist length, which was a huge surprise. Now to get it there while it's dry!

Avital88
February 13th, 2012, 04:36 AM
oh yea i love those days, i cant wait until the day im gonna straighten it again( i havent done that since july)because it always looks 3 inches longer then, but i will keep that for later this year when i have a sinful day :D

jen023
February 13th, 2012, 06:25 AM
I wear my hair up for 12 day and in a weekend wear it down and I feel a littler longer it touch my neck curly.

hanne jensen
February 13th, 2012, 06:26 AM
I get surprised every time I look in the mirror. Not that it's growing, I've just never had hair this long in my life.

jacqueline101
February 13th, 2012, 06:58 AM
My hair surprises me too I think it barely grows and find out it grew a lot. My fringe really does that to me.

woolyleprechaun
February 13th, 2012, 08:07 AM
I wear my hair up *all* the time to protect it, and sometimes a damp braid on washday will stay in that braid for 3-4 days. So when I DO take it down....wow what a supprise!

Grillz
February 13th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Yes and I love when that happens. I just recently put a pic up on facebook and everyone's comments were about how long my hair has gotten (Granted, I don't regularly post pics of myself so it's been months). That had me looking at it and for the first time really thinking that my hair is starting to look long. I'm at the bottom of BSL, which always looks long on everyone else but I didn't think it did on me (thanks, LHC.. that's your fault!) :)

Ligeia_13
February 13th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Yes but never positively :D Usually I look in the mirror and think wow, is it really that short? I thought it had grown past that.

So no good surprises here.

Silver Swan
February 13th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Yes, in a roundabout way. . .

My sister came to visit and when she had her hair down and I was surprised at how long it looked. So I explained about the LHC measuring method and we measured her hair.

It was only one cm longer than mine! Our hair and body shapes are very similar, so now I have a somewhat objective view of what my hair looks like from the back :)

NativeGirl
February 13th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Yes. I've been making sure to avoid mirrors when my hair is down and to keep it up. After avoiding any measuring or looking at the length in the mirror...I caved in last night. I finally met my mini-goal - I'm at hip length! :D

BritHair
February 13th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Yes, actually this afternoon after I woke up from working my midnite shift, I walked into the bathroom and upon leaving I took a second look. Man, my hair looked long and really nice :D

Usually I wear my hair up all the time so it's nice to see it down every now and then.

CurlyCap
February 13th, 2012, 07:47 PM
The color of your hair...... It's amazing.. It looks so majestic and beautiful! :)

Seconding this. That's exactly how I want my hair to change colors.

JesusFreak88
February 14th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Last night I was telling my roommate that one of the reasons I was still growing my hair out was because I wanted to be able to do a crown braid without having to dutch braid it around my head. My hair was in two braided pigtails for the night and I decided to show her how I wanted it to be. I wrapped the two braids around my head and it was at the right length. I was so excited. I was trying to think when it got that long.

MissHair
February 14th, 2012, 02:57 PM
I was a little surprised yesterday. Ever since last summer my hair has felt short, for the first time in years my hair has begun to feel long at the back of my neck and back. It's beginning to feel more heavy. I LOVE the feeling!

Shermie Girl
February 14th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Yes. The other day I took my hair down and brushed it before I took a shower and for the first time since I started growing it after my henna removal disaster and chop, I felt it cover my entire back to my waist. It was quite a feeling. One I am still enjoying. :D

truepeacenik
February 14th, 2012, 03:41 PM
I have a friend whom I see every couple of months. We go hot tubbing, so my hair gets taken down. friend is usually surprised at length differences.

My partner likes my hair down, and I indulge him from time to time. After I have been wearing it up or braided, then shower and let it dry straight, he's amazed.

I get amazed by new ways to get it caught in things!
:-)

Euphoria.Dame
February 14th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Oh yes! Definitely my favorite thing about wearing my hair up all the time. Seeing actual progress is very encouraging :D

supbanana
February 14th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Yep, this happened to me last night! I had my hair in a french braid so I wouldn't play with it while I was studying. I was studying on my bed and happened to look at my cheesy mirrored headboard, my braid was curled down my back and was still long enough to touch my hips! If only my grade correlated with my hair interest, heh.

MissAlyssa
February 14th, 2012, 05:32 PM
My hair was being really straight today so i checked it in my handheld mirror in the bathroom, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that I'm even closer to BSL than I thought :)

countryhopper
February 14th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I remember when I used to visit the site several times a day and check my length even more frequently!

Now my hair has reached my goal of waist and has even had to be trimmed back a couple of times!

I still can't believe my hair is THIS long! :D

chai-blue
February 22nd, 2012, 07:53 PM
in real life i think it hasn't grown, but when i take pictures of it, i'm gladly surprised! ;)

PixxieStix
February 22nd, 2012, 07:56 PM
I'm in the same boat as Legeia, I do get surprised by my length but in the "wow, it's still that short?!" way. I still envision myself as the girl with the BSL-WL hair, and until I get there again think that's how my "surprised by my length" experience will be.

cocoahair
February 22nd, 2012, 07:57 PM
I will get comments like "wow, your hair has gotten long," and then I look and I think wow your right! It is always a nice surprise.

Of the Fae
April 7th, 2012, 05:09 PM
The strange thing is, that sometimes I am surprised at how long it has gotten, and other times it seems so much shorter. Maybe it has something to do with humidity or such.

Littlewing13
April 7th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Yeah I keep my hair up mostly but every now & then I wear it down & I swear it looks longer each time. & sometimes I forget how long it is & feel a tickle on my back & freak out thinking there is a spider on me, then realise its my hair & it makes me happy :D

Mountaingrrl
April 7th, 2012, 05:57 PM
When my hair is wet and stretched, I'm amazed by the length. Then it dries and shrinks up to its natural curly state.

blondie9912
April 9th, 2012, 08:06 AM
I'm going to be extra strict with myself to not check for length until my monthly shots, I'd LOVE to be surprised!

barely.there
April 9th, 2012, 09:26 AM
This past month I can actually feel my hair resting on my back. something I havn't felt since I was.....16?

PixieKitten
April 9th, 2012, 11:01 AM
yeah, I'm 9 days into the 'wear hair up for a month' challenge, and when I took it down to re-braid it this morning, it looked so much longer! I'm not sure if I'm having a spring growth spurt or if it just appears longer because I'm getting used to not seeing it down! xD

cfreya
April 9th, 2012, 11:17 AM
I'm going to be extra strict with myself to not check for length until my monthly shots, I'd LOVE to be surprised!
I second this you guys have inspired me for some benign neglect :)

Pinkster8
April 9th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Yes, the other day! I was driving with my sunroof open and I shut it when I got on the interstate and a few minutes later, I reached down for something and YANK! The sunroof had caught my hair! :p

millyaulait
April 10th, 2012, 04:02 AM
I've been wearing protective buns for a while now, and on rare special occasions I wear ponytails (because it shows my length but allows me to keep my hair up)...

& For the first time in a very, very long time I can feel the end of my hair (the tail part!) brushing my neck! Eeeee! :)

Quahatundightu
April 10th, 2012, 04:39 AM
I am now in a constant state of surprise, my hair has finally reached my main goal! I just can't believe it and feel shocked everytime my hair falls below my tshirt and tickles my lower back! I thought it was a spider the other day!!!

Springpaw
April 10th, 2012, 06:40 AM
I keep getting surprised by having to remove my hair from my collar :p It feels so nice :D

shutterpillar
April 10th, 2012, 06:47 AM
I took my very first hair picture yesterday (which I posted in the LHC Collection thread in the Projects/Polls section) and I was a bit surprised by the length. I obviously don't see the back of my head too often and thought it was just barely past APL... its coming up on reaching the top of my bra strap... about 1 inch to go. I guess it was the layers that were throwing me off, but I was pleasantly surprised!

Vallena
April 10th, 2012, 07:43 AM
It has happened to me in the past, but not since I chopped it off. I used to get stuck on my hair in my sleep, I would be laying on it, and try to turn over, but pulled my own hair because I was laying on it! Needless to say, I hadn't heard of LHC and didn't put my hair up before going to bed!

Maiken
April 10th, 2012, 09:29 AM
For the last year or so i have just been ignoring my hair. Of course i've been keeping it clean and healthy, but i haven't been wearing i down very often, just put it in some kind of messy bun.
Until a few weeks ago i was thinking of my hair like shoulderlong. But then one evening i took a closer look at it, and discoverde that i am only an inch or two away from APL. That was quite a nice surprise, sinths i'm really missing the long hair i used to have.

AngryVikingGirl
April 10th, 2012, 09:54 AM
I usually don't have good mirrors to take photos. Either they're in a dark place or in the wrong position. One day I went to my Granny's and found no one at home, so I quickly took a pic using the big mirror in the light dining room. When I opened it on my computer I thought 'WOW, is that MY hair?' It had grown a lot and it looked V-shaped which I am considering to get now and then. It looked so cool.

Covet
April 10th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Yes definitely! I've worn my hair up for 26 days now and when I take it down to wash it I really do think it's longer, even though with curls it takes forever to see length. Perhaps it's just the surprise from seeing it down though :p maybe I'd kind of 'forgotten' how long it was.

Viva benign neglect! I love it!

Alvrodul
April 10th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Past tailbone and heading for classic, my hair is now the longest it has ever been. And when I see my hair down, I admit that, yes, it is long. But seeing my hair in its full glory still doesn't give me that "long-haired" feeling.
Feeling my ends swish around my hips and tickling my bum as I get ready for a shower does, though. :D

Laylah
April 10th, 2012, 06:49 PM
I think I get surprised by being not surprised at my hair... what I mean is this: If I ever saw someone with tailbone length, or even waist length hair I would be really surprised and think it's so long, but my hair always feels average or even a little short on me even though its tbl.

spidermom
April 10th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Yes, today.
I was so surprised I posted about it all over the place.

Sunny_side_up
April 14th, 2012, 02:57 PM
walking past some shop windows today, my braid waves worn down, couldnt help but look at it thinking its getting longer! and its looking nice and even with the mini trims... thought pass on the layers i was considering a couple weeks ago.:)

Knotted
April 14th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I put on a t-shirt the other day and was pleasantly surprised when I moved my head around and could feel hair brushing my arms. It grew! :D

Carrie Ingalls
April 14th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Oh yeah, all the time....and by all the time I really mean from time to time, but it is not uncommon for me. For example every once in a while when is about time for another trim I might step on it by accident while combing it out. It is usually also about that time that I will ask my mom or sister to "touch where it ends" so I can turn my head around and see how long it is.

For some reason I don't ever mentally feel like my hair is as crazy long as it is, or that this length is that unusual. I sorta feel like I mentally froze at fingertip length (which I hit when I was around 12-13).

Dragon Faery
April 14th, 2012, 09:53 PM
The strange thing is, that sometimes I am surprised at how long it has gotten, and other times it seems so much shorter. Maybe it has something to do with humidity or such.

This happens to me, too.

It was feeling decently long until this week when I saw an old friend, who's gone from between SL & APL to nearly waist since last sw her. And somehow her hair is so much longer than mine that I feel incredibly shorthaired now. :( This will probably linger until I'm at waist, which ought to be july-ish.

One interesting thing I get surprised at now is thickness. My hair has never been this thick before, and it still surprises me to see and feel. It's also weird that I can't do the updos I relied on just a few months ago, before the thickness reached my shoulders.

savannahlove
April 14th, 2012, 10:41 PM
I definitely have my days. Some days, I couldn't be happier with the length, but at other times, it feels so incredibly short. :( I still don't have that "long hair" feeling, but I think I'm getting there.

AnqeIicDemise
April 14th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Yeah.. I do. I've been stuck at the Waistlands for quite a while and kept thinking my hair wasn't growing.

I took it down from a bun earlier after my shower and I felt it grazing an inch PAST my waist. I was excited.