PDA

View Full Version : I think long hair isn't for me.

hairyfan21
February 12th, 2012, 12:38 PM
I know I'm still the new guy and all, but I think maybe long hair isn't for me. All you ladies have the advantage of being female so long hair is acceptable for you. Its not like that for guys.

And I don't know if I can get into using oils or any conditioner and all these kinds of hair potions and stuff. I've never had long hair before in my life, so I don't know. Do you really need all of this stuff to take care of long hair?

lunalocks
February 12th, 2012, 12:40 PM
It depends on you type of hair. The straighter it is, the simpler it is. I can get by on CWC and finger comb and air dry.

hairyfan21
February 12th, 2012, 12:41 PM
What is CWC? :confused:

WyrdWay
February 12th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I don't think you need potions, and you don't really need oils.
But my Husband loves conditioner :D he used it once and was hooked. His hair is collar bone length now and hasn't gotten any gruff about it. Mostly positive attention from females about it.

islandboo
February 12th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Some people don't use anything but standard shampoo and conditioner. If your hair isn't dry on the ends or splitting really badly, it may not be an issue. Also, those things tend not to be necessary until the hair gets pretty long (and therefore is older and more prone to damage). I would recommend conditioner to help keep tangles minimized and help keep the hair moisturized, but that is just one extra bottle in the shower - not a big deal. There are a fair number of guys on the forum with amazing long hair. If they can do it, you can too! But if you decide it is too much hassle and you want to keep it short, that's fine too. The important thing is for you to be happy with your hair.

t_ballet26
February 12th, 2012, 12:44 PM
A lot of it depends on hair type and your goal hair length. If you are only trying to get to 18" you probably don't have to go overboard on the hair care. I got my hair to BSL and I only used shampoo and no conditioner ever. I shampooed everyday too.

islandboo
February 12th, 2012, 12:44 PM
CWC is condition - wash - condition. It uses an initial application of conditioner to protect the ends from the drying effects of shampoo.

lunalocks
February 12th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Sorry. CWC is condition first, then shampoo, then condition. For my hip length hair, I wet it, slather on the conditioner from my ears to the end, then wash my head with shampoo, rince so that the shampoo runs through the rest of the hair, then condition again and rinse. I gently blot with a towel, spray in some detangler (just on the bottom 3/4) and comb with a wide tooth comb. Then I let it air dry with finger combing occasionally. The detangler keeps it from getting really tangled, for days after it dries.

hairyfan21
Islandboo, I have dandruff so I use Head & Shoulders shampoo every day. Is conditioner something I should be using if I have dandruff? I know that too much conditioner can give you greasy hair, so I don't want that.

And conditioner is very slimy. I want my hair to feel clean. Is there any way to maybe not use any oil or conditioner, wash my hair with shampoo every day and have nice long hair?

Madora
I know I'm still the new guy and all, but I think maybe long hair isn't for me. All you ladies have the advantage of being female so long hair is acceptable for you. Its not like that for guys.

And I don't know if I can get into using oils or any conditioner and all these kinds of hair potions and stuff. I've never had long hair before in my life, so I don't know. Do you really need all of this stuff to take care of long hair?

hairyfan21, you don't need a lot of "stuff" to have beautiful hair.

CWC is Condition, Wash, Condition.

Some folks use this method to hold in moisture when shampooing.

For me, "less is more" works. Just a gentle shampoo and a good conditioner, a boar bristle brush, and being gentle when manipulating your hair.

Many men have long hair--some very long..i.e. Danny Cecati who has fantastic hair. It all depends on how comfortable you are having long hair. But whether your hair is long or short, it can look great if you are willing to use gentle methods and stay away from heat or bleaching.

jojo
February 12th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Hair grows perfectly well without all the oils, the quality of hair may not be better though. Theres long hair and theres nice long hair, ive had long hair 3/4 of my life, but now my hair is the best ifs ever been.

We have plenty of guys on here, why not start a thread "for men only" and swap tips with them, see how they get there lovely hair. Look up shadow walker, his hair is lush!

Long_hair_bear
February 12th, 2012, 12:55 PM
If you've never had long hair, nor do you want it, I wonder why you're here. Nah, I'm not trying to be rude, just wondering. Maybe you're just curious? If you've never had long hair, how do you know it's not for you? I'm not trying to talk you into growing it out; that's your descion. Do as you like with your hair is my opinion. Don't worry about peer pressure. :)

Bagginslover
February 12th, 2012, 12:59 PM
I have been using H&S for years fo my dandruff,but since swapping to condishoner only washing, I've had no dandruff at all, and as log as I rinse very thoroughly, my hair feels just as clean. I have always had a very greasy scalp too, the day after shampooing it look greasy, since I starterd on CO washes, my hair still looks good on day 3. I am stll very new to this,but I've had massive improvements in my hair in just this short time, it really is worth it.

Kelikea
February 12th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Islandboo, I have dandruff so I use Head & Shoulders shampoo every day. Is conditioner something I should be using if I have dandruff? I know that too much conditioner can give you greasy hair, so I don't want that.

And conditioner is very slimy. I want my hair to feel clean. Is there any way to maybe not use any oil or conditioner, wash my hair with shampoo every day and have nice long hair?

If you would like to get rid of your dandruff, the first step would be weaning yourself off of the H&S. You need to re-balance the pH of your scalp. Many soaps and shampoos have a more alkaline pH than your natural scalp pH, which is closer to 5.5. I had good luck clarifying with diluted baking soda, followed by a diluted vinegar rinse. Once my scalp pH was restored, conditioner only was working well. I don't consider using conditioner to be a lot of product to buy, especially when VO5 is less than $1. My husband uses the VO5 vanilla mint tea conditioner and I use the strawberry milk. Whenever flakes make an appearance, a diluted vinegar rinse clears them right up. Dandruff can be caused by fungus or yeast, which do not like acidic environments, which is why the vinegar is very helpful. And you can get clean hair that is not greasy by using conditioner only. Shampoo only will most likely strip your hair and cause your scalp to produce more oil to compensate.

hairyfan21
February 12th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Hair grows perfectly well without all the oils, the quality of hair may not be better though. Theres long hair and theres nice long hair, ive had long hair 3/4 of my life, but now my hair is the best ifs ever been.

We have plenty of guys on here, why not start a thread "for men only" and swap tips with them, see how they get there lovely hair. Look up shadow walker, his hair is lush!

Thank you jojo. So then oils are more of a optional thing? That is a relief since my hair is so greasy and I have dandruff. Extra oil would make me break out like a hormonal 14 year old!

I'm not gonna chat with any of the other guys here. Lol, i didn't even know there were other guys here, I thought I was the only one who joined. But, I am here because I'm curious about long hair. When I'm a grandpa I wanna share old photos with my grandkids and tell them their old grandpa was a fun, crazy kid with long hair to his shoulders back in the day.

hairyfan21
February 12th, 2012, 01:08 PM
If you've never had long hair, nor do you want it, I wonder why you're here. Nah, I'm not trying to be rude, just wondering. Maybe you're just curious? If you've never had long hair, how do you know it's not for you? I'm not trying to talk you into growing it out; that's your descion. Do as you like with your hair is my opinion. Don't worry about peer pressure. :)

No offense, but you sound a bit harsh.

hairyfan21
February 12th, 2012, 01:10 PM
I have been using H&S for years fo my dandruff,but since swapping to condishoner only washing, I've had no dandruff at all, and as log as I rinse very thoroughly, my hair feels just as clean. I have always had a very greasy scalp too, the day after shampooing it look greasy, since I starterd on CO washes, my hair still looks good on day 3. I am stll very new to this,but I've had massive improvements in my hair in just this short time, it really is worth it.

Thank you for your input. But I'm gonna stick to the Head & Shoulders shampoo, its the only thing besides Selsen Blue that has helped with my flakes. And I'm still not sold on conditioner really.

Amber_Maiden
February 12th, 2012, 01:10 PM
It really depends on your hair, if you take care of the ends or not etc. Most of the men I have dated, if not all, have had long hair. My husband, when I met him, had long hair, and had long hair until this fall when he cut it short- he couldn't take care of it properly anymore and it was very damaged. If you put in the effort with your hair, it shows.

Amber_Maiden
February 12th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Thank you for your input. But I'm gonna stick to the Head & Shoulders shampoo, its the only thing besides Selsen Blue that has helped with my flakes. And I'm still not sold on conditioner really.

One of the problems my husband has was that he didn't use enough conditioner. When you shampoo your hair it strips it of it's natural oils. If you don't condition your hair afterwards it can become damaged.

islandboo
February 12th, 2012, 01:12 PM
If your hair is still short, you may not need conditioner yet. And the oils are for the bottom part of your hair, not the scalp, so they don't really make your hair greasy. My hair is below my waist and I only use oil on the last few inches.

islandboo
February 12th, 2012, 01:16 PM
And if you don't like the feel of commercial conditioners and dont mind putting in a little effort, there is a gal on here who uses only catnip tea to condition her hair. I use catnip tea as well, but in addition to regular conditioners, not in place of them. But it does keep the hair feeling soft and definitely not slimy, LOL.

hairyfan21
February 12th, 2012, 01:18 PM
If your hair is still short, you may not need conditioner yet. And the oils are for the bottom part of your hair, not the scalp, so they don't really make your hair greasy. My hair is below my waist and I only use oil on the last few inches.

Okay thanks. My hair is still freshly buzzed, I just went to the barbershop last week. Its about half an inch long. So okay I don't need any conditioner right now. Good, I hope I can avoid having to use it until it really is necessary. And I'm happy that oil is optional and that a few of you don't use oil at all either.

MissHair
February 12th, 2012, 01:21 PM
All you ladies have the advantage of being female so long hair is acceptable for you. Its not like that for guys.

Wow. Why would you settle with the norm society has supposedly given you? Why are you listening to people who say it's acceptable for women and not men? And who says it's not acceptable for men? Follow your own dreams and your own path.

hairyfan21
February 12th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Wow. Why would you settle with the norm society has supposedly given you? Why are you listening to people who say it's acceptable for women and not men? And who says it's not acceptable for men? Follow your own dreams and your own path.

I do want to get a good job one day. I'm in college right now and not currently working. But once I get my degree and graduate, there is no way any recruiter will take me seriously if he sees me looking like a hippie who hasn't showered in a week.

spidermom
February 12th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Just put the conditioner on the length, keep it away from the scalp.

Or you could get a shampoo and conditioner combination.

Remember, it's your hair. Do as much or as little as you want to do. You may be happiest just using shampoo and perhaps a spray-on detangler if you need it. That's fine.

I don't like to do a lot of potions and treatments, either.

ETA: I just saw how short your hair is. Only washing it is fine. You don't need anything else unless your scalp feels tight and dry. Then you might want to massage it with a bit of oil and your fingertips before washing.

Long_hair_bear
February 12th, 2012, 01:34 PM

As I said, I'm not meaning to. I'm just honestly curious. Just don't give in to peer pressure is my advice. Also, you don't need oils, they just help.

ouseljay
February 12th, 2012, 01:36 PM
I do want to get a good job one day. I'm in college right now and not currently working. But once I get my degree and graduate, there is no way any recruiter will take me seriously if he sees me looking like a hippie who hasn't showered in a week.

There are plenty of men on this forum alone who have both long hair and good jobs in various fields. Long hair can, in fact, look kempt and nice on a man, it doesn't have to look disreputable. It doesn't have to give off an air of "unwashed hippie." Spend some time keeping an eye out for our male members.

How well your hair will react to minimal care depends on its own qualities. If I tried to go without conditioning I'd end up with straw growing out of my head, but there are members who use only shampoo and have nicer hair than I do. :shrug: Trial and error.

princessp
February 12th, 2012, 01:37 PM

I don't think Long_hair_bear was being harsh at all. I felt like her response was actually very kind. And she was making a valid point. If you don't think you want to grow your hair, why are you here? Are you simply looking for us to talk you into it? I'm sort of confused as well. :shrug: This is a very personal choice. Of course all of us are partial to long hair (or we wouldn't be here) so it is likely we will encourage you.

With that said, many men have long hair (including my partner who is in a very professional field) I don't think it is all that unconventional. The care of your hair will depend on the kind of hair you have. I think the dandruff suggestion that Kelikea gave was good, I suggest not brushing that off too quickly (no pun intended :p ). Anyway, if you do end up growing your hair you will learn a lot by sticking around here. But I would like to kindly suggest you read the sticky threads (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=32573) in the "new start here" section. It looks like you haven't been here too long so welcome. :flower:

spidermom
February 12th, 2012, 01:44 PM

It really depends on what you do and how good you are at it. We have a doctor at the hospital where I work who wears a long braid down to his butt. We have a couple of other doctors who have hair between shoulders and armpit length. One wears a big diamond earring.

jacqueline101
February 12th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I hope you don't give up on long hair maybe you need some inspiration. There are long hair men and they use very few products.

Renate
February 12th, 2012, 02:35 PM
http://fymenwithlonghair.tumblr.com/

Oh, you have no idea how attractive long haired men is for some women :)

Shebelina
February 12th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I grew my hair to hip using only shampoo and conditioner, in the traditional way. You don't have to use oils if you don't want to, I rarely use any. It entirely depends on what you want to do and how much time you want to invest in your hair. So if you're worried you can't grow your hair without all the oils and mixtures, it's not the case.

As for conditioner, I've never had an issue with it making my hair greasy. I believe Head and Shoulders is quite a harsh shampoo, although having never used it I don't know for sure. If that is the case, a conditioner would be a good idea.

Most of my male friends have long hair, and no one treats them any differently. My last BF had hair longer than mine also, I was very jealous of him :D Lots of women were attracted to him too.

Long_hair_bear
February 12th, 2012, 02:48 PM
I love men with long hair! Very lord of the ringsy! My hubby is growing his out to please me. :)

eicamawa
February 12th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Try to not brush it when it's wet, and don't use to much heat. Condition comes in good when your hair gets dry, and it makes it shiner (at least it does for mine). Use what you feel for, don't think you have to use all this and that or else it will not look good. Just don't do what you know is wrong :) And I love guys with long hair :)

PurplePenguin
February 12th, 2012, 03:15 PM

Hairyfan21, Hi :waving:
I just wanted to tell you about my husband's hair. Its a couple of inches past his shoulders and it is quite lovely, he gets complements on it all the time. I'm not sure what your hair type is but he has rather straight hair. Now, about his hair care - believe it or not but he doesn't really 'care' for his hair. He uses a 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner (the bottles that are both mixed together) and he only uses it because I begged him to start. So technically he doesn't really use a real conditioner. That is all he does to it.

You said you aren't sold on conditioner, why don't you try Head and Shoulder's 2 in 1? I know they have a couple of different 2 in 1's. I too have oily hair but I use a conditioner every time I shampoo and as long as I rinse it out really well it doesn't make my hair any more oily. Plus, a 2 in 1 should definitely not make your hair oily.

As for all of the concoctions and oils and such that many people use here on LHC - I don't really think they are necessary, hubby doesn't use any and his hair is very luxurious. I find that I just like experimenting and finding what my hair really loves. It can be quite fun mixing together a new hair recipe and then slathering it on my head (or maybe I'm just weird :shrug:). If you don't want to try the oils and recipes it is up to you, it IS your hair after all.

I think it is very cool that you wanted to try to grow out your hair, I know men are pressured by society to have short hair or they will otherwise be labeled as a hippy or dirty or the like. It really takes a lot of gumption to go against that. :hifive: Just remember, in the end it is your hair and no one else's so you control what you do with it.

MissHair
February 12th, 2012, 03:16 PM

My male boss always wore his hair in a bun. I never knew how long his hair was until he took it out one day. He looked really sophisticated in a tied bun so in no way did he look like a hippie who didn't shower for a week. You can wear your hair out in your free time but a bun is always good for work! :D

StellaKatherine
February 12th, 2012, 03:36 PM
hairyfan21, I actually see more and more men with a longer hair. Well.. our little city is famous for lots of heavy metal bands arise here. But still i feel long hair on men is getting more and more accepted. Personally i think men with a nice ponytail look very sexy :D

I haven't been doing anything extra to my hair, only washing it and using conditioner for many years. My hair is now few inches under my waist and only now i started to make more chages as i want it to go even longer than now.

If you have curiosity or a desire or anything for long hair, try it - it is always easy to cut if you don't like the hastle or the look <3

Good luck !

Zefyra
February 12th, 2012, 03:52 PM
I think long hair on men can look very professional and sophisticated. (Like Tseng from ffvii, or Zechs from Gundam.. :D) It is ultimately your choice what you do and dont do to your hair. And since your goal length is so short, even when you reach it you wont have to worry about some of the more labour intensive things many people do to their hair.
I would advise you to take the process very slowly, if you decide to revamp your routine, do it one thing at a time. The point of growing (or not) your hair longer is to enjoy the process and the result there of. If its not fun and enjoyable, and your not doing it to make yourself more happy and secure, whats the point of doing it? I hope that doesnt sound rude or anything, just my opinion...

akurah
February 12th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I wash my hair, condition, and dry my hair 99.9&#37; of the time. I very rarely do oils, and I very rarely do anything else. I do own jojoba oil and coconut oil, but I'm on the same bottle and tub I bought when I joined LHC, I use it so rarely. (in fact, I've only been recently using coconut oil to combat the dryness caused by my henna removal experiment, prior, I hadn't used it for almost a year)

My tools include a denman brush and a seamless comb.

My hair is almost always braided, and... yep. That's pretty much it. I ignore it most of the time.

If I did all the techniques and experiments everyone else here did, I'd probably shave my hair off from frustration. So I don't, I just do my own thing. Hair care doesn't need to be complicated.

Incidentally, long hair in the workplace isn't a big deal in many areas--for example, I live in the SF Bay Area. Most companies I work with and know of wouldn't bat an eyelash at long hair. Hell, at least one of my bosses had a mohawk.

alyaziaaah
February 12th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Honestly I wouldn't use head and shoulders, it looks like jiff and seems to be just as abrasive. You might want to try co-wash with a non silicon condish and find out that your hair gets shiney clean and no dandruff at all plus your hair is misturized and healthy. Most dandruff comes from drying out the scalp with sulphate shampoo.

DoubleCrowned
February 12th, 2012, 04:17 PM
If you want a hair care method without all the bottles of conditioners and potions, consider the water-only washing method. Many who use it started because of scalp problems, which cleared up thanks to this chemical-free way of cleaning the hair. You are at a huge advantage because your hair is very short, so you will not have trouble with the dry ends that some long-haired people battle during their transition from traditional washing methods to water-only.
Here is the link to the end of the thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1993425#post1993425

DaveDecker
February 12th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I'm not gonna chat with any of the other guys here. Lol, i didn't even know there were other guys here, I thought I was the only one who joined.

There are more than a few guys here, and if your wish is to not talk with any of them that is your prerogative - I assume none would be offended. Did you know that this is not a dating site?

Nedertane
February 12th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Just experiment where/whenever you can! And honestly, so WHAT if long hair isn't "normal" for guys? You don't have to be part of the norm. :) And if you look around anyhow, you'll see that many of the ladies on here have gotten crap from ignorant people about their hair. Relax, take care, and try to enjoy long hair. :cool:

humble_knight
February 12th, 2012, 04:50 PM

I admire the lhc menfolk who rock long lengths. Due to my chosen profession, I will not be able to have such long hair, but if I can get a bit past shoulders, or even mid-back, I would be more than satisfied. What careers would interest you after finishing your college studies?

jeanniet
February 12th, 2012, 05:10 PM
I think long hair can look great on men, but I have to agree with you that maybe it's not right for you. Anytime you do something that you perceive as going against the norm (whether true or not), you have to have the confidence and attitude to carry it off, and from some of the things you said I don't think you have that. Thinking recruiters will look at you as a "dirty hippie", for instance. There are many, many professional men with long hair who look well-groomed, but if you think other people are looking askance at you you're not going to have confidence in yourself. So maybe that's something to think about.

Head & Shoulders is pretty harsh shampoo, especially every day. I would consider that what's causing your "dandruff" and greasiness is actually the product and frequency of washing. Irritated or sensitive scalps often respond better to gentler and less frequent washing. ACV rinses may also help. The idea is to allow your scalp to settle into a more natural state instead of constantly barraging it with chemicals, detergents, etc. You might be pleasantly surprised to find that you don't have dandruff at all.

RitaPG
February 12th, 2012, 05:24 PM
If you truly believe that long hair is only acceptable for females, then you're right, you do not have the mindset to grow long hair.
On the other hand, if you think people will judge you because you are male and have long hair, than you are worried for all the wrong reasons. I understand that you're young and other people's opinion matters, whether you like it or not, it does. But you need to let go of that and decide wat you want for yourself. Because even though long hair on men is getting more common and accepted, someone will ALWAYS judge you on something, people always see something wrong in others. And if you really want to grow long hair, stop thinking and grow it!

And I don't know if I can get into using oils or any conditioner and all these kinds of hair potions and stuff. I've never had long hair before in my life, so I don't know. Do you really need all of this stuff to take care of long hair?Honestly, you don't have to use potions and stuff. I know several guys that use nothing but shampoo to wash and conditioner to comb after shower. Lather shampoo, rinse, put on conditioner and comb it, rinse. And that's usually all you need.
Oils and "potions" are things we use when we want to grow hair into longer, more extreme lengths, and keep it as healthy as possible.
I see your goal is 18 inches of hair. That does not require a lot of care, I have a friend with longer hair than that and all he uses is shampoo and conditioner. So there.

I think you are just a little overwhelmed by all the information you're finding here. Don't worry about products for now, at your length all you really need is shampoo :)

TheMechaGinger
February 12th, 2012, 05:31 PM
My boyfriend has long hair, and a lot of women find it really attractive so I wouldn't worry too much about what people think. Also, like I said my boyfriend has long hair and all he does is shampoo and condition it every couple of days and let it air dry. If you don't put conditioner on your scalp your hair won't get greasy either, just put it from the ears down and rinse it really well and it shouldn't be a problem. I think a lot of us take so much time with our hair because it's a hobby of ours and is just something we enjoy spending time on. But you definitely don't have to invest a lot of time and money to have nice hair

<3OnHerSleeve
February 12th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Everybody's idea of what is 'long' hair is different, especially with guys because men generally keep their hair shorter than others. I know that as a woman I am attracted to men who have hair that I can run my fingers through. My ex had collarbone length hair (I found that a bit too long because he didn't take good care of it, I prefered it at shoulder length). For straight haired men, I think long hair is very beautiful but only if it is kept nicely. You don't have to take your hair over-the-top seriously, but just as long as it's neat and tidy, it doesn't matter what length you have it.

I think you should just take hair growth as it comes and determine when your hair is longer if it is for you or not then.

And I agree with TheMechaGinger, it really has become a hobby with me but some people prefer to just stick to the basics and either way, beautiful hair can be maintained

FrozenBritannia
February 12th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Hairyfan, not sure if anyone has said this yet, I did skim through and didn't see it but it is possible I missed something, you said you use head and shoulders.
have you tried the Head and Shoulders mens care two in one? My hubby loves it.

BlazingHeart
February 12th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I've grown my hair to hip using a 2-in-1, it can definitely be done, and if you only want to go to shoulder or so, it should be absolutely no big deal for you. I really like Garnier Fructis's 2-in-1, and they do a dandruff one, which I found worked quite well for giving me nice shiny hair. In fact, the only reason I stopped using it is that I became mildly allergic to one of the ingredients. If it weren't for that, it would still be my go-to. My exfiance used to use a 2-in-1, and he maintained his hair a bit past shoulder.

By the way, a conditioner that suits your needs thoroughly rinsed out will make your hair softer and a bit silky, without leaving it 'slimy'. Yes, it takes a little bit of getting used to the way it feels on your hands when you're using it, but people you are dating will enjoy touching your hair more. Believe me, having someone play with your hair can be very, very enjoyable, but if it isn't nice to the touch, people won't want to so much.

As far as guys having long hair, we've got a bunch around here! Look for ericthegreat, trolleypup, EdG, and Gumball. They're great guys with quite long hair - Eric is I think around hip, Trolleypup and EdG are both at the longest it is possible for their hair to grow I believe (one above and the other below knee), and Gumball has absolutely gorgeous curls. Peter is also around, I can't remember his handle off the top of my head, but he seems like a nice guy. There are dozens more, these are just the guys who are coming to mind at first thought.

I'll admit I'm a little bit confused as to why you don't want to talk to the other guys - of all of us, they'd be the most able to understand what you'll go through as a guy who is growing his hair longer.

As far as discrimination, you really will get around a lot of it by keeping your hair neat. I would say that it matters where you go and what you want to do. In my job sector (legal), long haired guys are unusual and tend to be working for places like Community Legal Services. Legal and banking are really the two most conservative areas (appearance-wise), so if you're wanting to do something else, you may be fine. Also, you'll probably encounter fewer issues in less conservative areas - major cities and places like California that are, well, less conservative (sorry, can't think of another way to describe it right now).

Anyhow, I'm not telling you to grow your hair long. I'm telling you that the things you're worried about don't have to be reasons NOT to grow your hair long.

~Blaze

WaimeaWahine
February 12th, 2012, 06:45 PM
There are more than a few guys here, and if your wish is to not talk with any of them that is your prerogative - I assume none would be offended. Did you know that this is not a dating site?

Though a few have tried over the years. They start by complimenting and friending all the women they can think of right away. Silly rabbits.

EdG
February 12th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Welcome, hairyfan21! :waving:

Yes, there are men here. We tend to hide among the ladies. :cloud9:

If you want long hair, you have to stop going to the barbers. Barbers know only one hair length - short.

You probably don't need a complicated hair care routine. You also may not need to wash your hair every day. You'll need to experiment to find out what works best for you.

Hair grows an average of six inches per year. You should plan for at least three years of growing.
Ed

annamoonfairy
February 12th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Where there is a will there is a way : )

BlondieHepburn
February 12th, 2012, 07:53 PM

I'm not gonna chat with any of the other guys here. Lol, i didn't even know there were other guys here, I thought I was the only one who joined.

A few pointless points:

• I'm not sure why you'd come to such a conclusion after being a member here for only one week.

• Long hair is just as socially acceptable for men as it is for women in most countries. And who cares anyway? If you want to grow your hair, grow it!

• You needn't bother with the excessive oils and potions. Lots of people grow very nice and healthy hair on the regimen of benign neglect.

• And thinking you are the only male on TLHC out of 14,200+ members seems ever so slightly conceited.

Other than that, if you are really trying to grow your hair, best of luck. You can learn a lot here. And if you are genuinely here to learn, then welcome.

Pierre
February 12th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Please don't sell yourself short. Stick with it for the long haul!

I had a job drawing surveys for several years (I'm still available whenever my boss needs me to draw, there just isn't much to draw these days). My hair is past waist; I keep it up to prevent damage. I don't use a lot of product or spend a lot of time on my hair. Some days I spend no time at all on my hair.

In my avatar, that bit of hair that's lighter and of different texture - that's my beard. It's past my belly button; I usually tuck it in my shirt.

lacefrost
February 12th, 2012, 07:59 PM
In my avatar, that bit of hair that's lighter and of different texture - that's my beard. It's past my belly button; I usually tuck it in my shirt.

WHAT! That sounds awesome! I want to see!!
/hijack

Diamond.Eyes
February 12th, 2012, 08:07 PM
My advice if you want to grow out your hair:

- Cut out all of the damage. For me, this was a must. My hair continued to break and split halfway up the hair shaft until I cut the damage out. After the cutting, my hair felt very soft and was very manageable. It also grew like a weed :p.

- Do not use heat tools. Ever. Period. :laugh: No but really, heat is so awful for your hair. It makes the water molecules inside of the hair shaft explode; causing split ends. :/

- I would avoid chemical dyes if I were you...the ammonia and other chemicals in the dye force open the cuticle and can eat away at the cells that make up the hair. Some people have found ways to lessen this damage, but there is no way to completely avoid it. If you want color I would use indigo, henna, or buxus. They do not damage hair.

- Condition your hair as often as possible. Whether it is a natural conditioner or oil, I would advise you to let your hair soak in moisture overnight, followed by a wash, at least once a week. You don't need fancy potions or expensive products. I would just try to find something that is very natural and doesn't contain silicones. Silicone can be good because it traps moisture in, but it also locks moisture out. So maybe avoid silicone as well, unless your prefer it.

Littlewing13
February 12th, 2012, 10:23 PM
I used to be a hairdresser. Theres plenty of guys who want long hair.

Most people who get dandruff only have a dry scalp. dry scalp= white "dust" that falls when you scratch your scalp. dandruff is large flakes. Dandruff shampoo makes dry scalps worse. Most people have tried dandruff shampoos even though dandruff only effects a small percentage of people.

Try conditioner only washes & see if that clears up. Any conditioner will do, some work better than others but just try the technique to start with. I leave mine in only like 5 mins, use plenty, & massage scalp very well. You can feel the oil mix with the slimy conditoner. then rinse. easy!

Mike5150
February 12th, 2012, 11:02 PM
You also have to remember that at some point your hair will hit that awkward growing out phase and you will probably hate it. This is the hardest part but once you get past that it's so much easier.

hairyfan21
February 12th, 2012, 11:12 PM
You also have to remember that at some point your hair will hit that awkward growing out phase and you will probably hate it. This is the hardest part but once you get past that it's so much easier.

Really?

Maybe I should re-consider if I should even bother with long hair then. Seems like so much to manage.

Vanille_
February 12th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Really?
Maybe I should re-consider if I should even bother with long hair then. Seems like so much to manage.

Yeah. Maybe it's not for you.

ScarlettAdelle
February 12th, 2012, 11:45 PM
I don't use any "Potions." I wash and condition once a week, keep it brushed and in a simple bun every day. I've pretty much pretended I don't even have hair for the last few years, and it keeps growing, and on the rare occasion it meets with shears, the ends just fill out a little. You don't need much of anything to have long hair. Just simply don't cut it.

Plenty of men have long hair, and it looks great on them. Do what makes YOU happy. Don't live your life for the approval of others. At the end of the day, you're the only one who has to look yourself in the mirror in the morning and you should like what you see.

Long hair on men doesn't have to look dirty. My ex had hair to his waist and I can't remember a single day he looked unwashed. It's all in how you carry yourself.

ScarlettAdelle
February 12th, 2012, 11:54 PM

Long hair on men doesn't have to look dirty. My ex had hair to his waist and I can't remember a single day he looked unwashed. It's all in how you carry yourself.

IanB
February 13th, 2012, 01:04 AM
As has already been said, it's all down to personal choice. I find that having longer hair is not much more of a chore that having it shorter. Much less time (if any time at all) at the hairdresser for a start! My basic routine is still the same. Shampoo once a week, with water only washes in bewteen, then air dryiing, and that's about it! - Good luck with your decision - just make sure it is your decision!

Shadow Walker
February 13th, 2012, 02:07 AM

Nah, you really don't need all that. I don't do much with mine except for washing it regularly.

Cara Heather
February 13th, 2012, 04:14 AM
I didn't do much either to grow mine long. My hair care always consist of brush before shower, shampoo roots, condition ends, style. I started brushing with conditioner as it grew longer. Other than that I find longer hair easier than short hair. People ask if it is hard to manage and things of that nature, but with short I must blowfry and straighten to even look decent. Now I brush and scrunch some gel or even throw it up :) I have really dry ends from an old highlighting experience so I do coconut oil. You can grow it with out all the extra stuff, but most Long hair woman want the shiniest and thickest hair possible. I don't think most long hair men care. I think they are happy to have hair lol I am stereotyping. Pardon me. It's my opinion for the males in my life :)

Avital88
February 13th, 2012, 04:29 AM
too bad it makes you feel like this.
I know many guys with long hair and i think long hair is awesome on guys, whatever 'society' says.
the ones i know only use conditioner once their hair got long enough to get tangled so i dont think you have to worry about all these stuff,or at least not yet i see you still have a buzzcut now.

hairyfan21
February 13th, 2012, 07:22 AM
I think I'm just going to keep my hair short and buzzed. It will just too much to manage if I were to grow it longer. I don't even own a hair brush, and I would rather spend the little money I do have on eating food. :)

I don't want to change what I do. Head & Shoulders works for me, I know that from my personal experience. So does Selsen Blue. I have to follow what I know is right for me personally. And honestly, I just hate conditioner. My ex-girl would leave this slime trail of conditioner every time in the shower. Disgusting! I was the one who had to clean up after her :rolleyes:. Also, she always clogged up the shower drain with her hair. :rolleyes:

Pierre
February 13th, 2012, 07:29 AM
WHAT! That sounds awesome! I want to see!!
/hijack
Berkeley meet has a picture of Renarok and Truepeacenik holding my beard. Ed, Bill, and Dave were there.

ktani
February 13th, 2012, 07:53 AM
I agree with Madora. It does not have to get complicated to have long healthy hair.

Your hair may not go though an awkward stage. It may not need anything extra like oils.

Head and Shoulders makes a conditioner too if needed.

Just take it one day at a time and if you need help, this is the place to come, lol.

woolyleprechaun
February 13th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Pffffhahaha! Sorry, I know I shouldnt laugh, but I was thinking the same thing. I mean no offence, but you seem to be rubbing people up the wrong way......:o Many people here, male and female, have simply beautiful hair. Frankly, any advice they give, I'd listen to ;) I'll admit that I never used to be a fan of long hair on men, but the chaps on here totaly turned me around! I mean.....wow:agape:

Dorothy
February 13th, 2012, 07:56 AM

Hairyfan21, Why on earth wouldn't you want to talk to the guys here? Especially since most of your questions seem to surround the social acceptance of men with long hair.

It sounds sort of homophobic? And this board is just crawling with gay people. So you probably don't want to offend us. :D

There's a ton of information in the Articles section that would answer all the questions you have presented here about hair care.

hairyfan21
February 13th, 2012, 08:10 AM
I don't know where people are getting this crazy idea that I'm here to pick up chicks. I'm here because I thought I wanted to try to grow my hair a bit longer, but no where near as long as you ladies. Just to my shoulders.

And still, I'm a GUY. I don't feel comfortable talking with another dude on the internet.

Bec de Corbin
February 13th, 2012, 08:17 AM
And still, I'm a GUY. I don't feel comfortable talking with another dude on the internet.

:confused:

Peter
February 13th, 2012, 08:21 AM
I don't know where people are getting this crazy idea that I'm here to pick up chicks. I'm here because I thought I wanted to try to grow my hair a bit longer, but no where near as long as you ladies. Just to my shoulders.

And still, I'm a GUY. I don't feel comfortable talking with another dude on the internet.Because you refuse to even talk to the males here -- the ones who are most capable of answering your questions about long hair on men.

Combined with the fact that you plan to keep your hair buzzed, is it really surprising that you were asked why you're here?

DoubleCrowned
February 13th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Now relax, folks. OP is just shy about asking men about something traditionally thought of as feminine. Most men feel pressured to be what is conventionally thought of as manly: tough as nails, independent, smart.... So of course, it would seem embarrassingly whiney to go to a dude and ask about hair length and a potential bald spot. That's why guys need other-mothers, sisters, gal friends, and confidants. TLHC is here to fill that need when it comes to hair questions.

By the way, Hairyfan, my opinion is for you to start growing out your hair immediately, before the thin spot has time to get thinner. On these forums, you can learn about scalp massage, cleansing techniques and diet tips that might help thicken your hair again, and will, without a doubt, help you find ways to maximize your hair's good looks. Try using the search feature, too. There are old threads on up-dos for men, even one posted by a man who feared that his hair looked too feminine.

ktani
February 13th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Now relax, folks. OP is just shy about asking men about something traditionally thought of as feminine. Most men feel pressured to be what is conventionally thought of as manly: tough as nails, independent, smart.... So of course, it would seem embarrassingly whiney to go to a dude and ask about hair length and a potential bald spot. That's why guys need other-mothers, sisters, gal friends, and confidants. TLHC is here to fill that need when it comes to hair questions.

By the way, Hairyfan, my opinion is for you to start growing out your hair immediately, before the thin spot has time to get thinner. On these forums, you can learn about scalp massage, cleansing techniques and diet tips that might help thicken your hair again, and will, without a doubt, help you find ways to maximize your hair's good looks. Try using the search feature, too. There are old threads on up-dos for men, even one posted by a man who feared that his hair looked too feminine.

Excellent post!

hairyfan21
February 13th, 2012, 09:57 AM

TY, but all of that you just said is too much for me. I like to wash my hair every day and then just forget about it. And an updo on a guy?????
I'm not going to say anything mean, but that is not something I will ever be caught dead with on my head.

Madora
February 13th, 2012, 10:07 AM
TY, but all of that you just said is too much for me. I like to wash my hair every day and then just forget about it. And an updo on a guy?????
I'm not going to say anything mean, but that is not something I will ever be caught dead with on my head.

Hairyfan21, please, if you want to keep your hair looking healthy, try and cut down on the daily washing. Daily washing, over time, strips your hair of its natural oil, and will leave it looking dull and lifeless..like straw.

Short hair can look wonderful too...but only if its well kept. I had a good friend who had a fantastic head of wavy silver hair that looked like platinum in the sunlight. He did next to nothing for it..brush, comb, a little bit of hair dressing. He was blessed with naturally wavy hair and although his hair never went past his ears, it was very eye catching.

jeanniet
February 13th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I'll say it again: I don't think long hair is for you. Not just because you don't have the mindset in general, but also because you almost seem to find it offensive. No point in doing something that you don't even like in the first place.

ktani
February 13th, 2012, 10:13 AM

Traditionally, men have worn long hair and tied it back. This for example is still an "updo" (disregard the application of hair product as that is optional), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFmHYukht3g.

I get where you are coming from in that it is strange to you. It is about perspective. You can make long hair as simple or complicated as you wish.

hairyfan21
February 13th, 2012, 10:14 AM
I don't find it offensive. I like girls with long hair. But, FYI for any of my future girlfriends please clean up after yourself in the shower. Wash the bathtub very clean after you wash your hair, I don't want to slip on the slime trail of conditioner you leave behind. And pick up all of your clogged hair in the shower drain please!

Chromis
February 13th, 2012, 10:16 AM
I don't find it offensive. I like girls with long hair. But, FYI for any of my future girlfriends please clean up after yourself in the shower. Wash the bathtub very clean after you wash your hair, I don't want to slip on the slime trail of conditioner you leave behind. And pick up all of your clogged hair in the shower drain please!

I doubt any of us plan on being your future girlfriend.

jeanniet
February 13th, 2012, 10:22 AM
You seem to find it offensive on guys. That's my point.

Siowiel
February 13th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Ok, I want no advice, I do not want to change anything, I don't want to do anything new, I'm a manly man who doesn't talk to other men online....

Gee, and you wonder why people here are not throwing persian rugs in front of you to walk like on clouds?

Vanille_
February 13th, 2012, 10:31 AM
I wonder if you are attracted to girls who put as little effort into their looks as you seem to. I suppose a buzz cut or pixie cut will be perfect for your next girlfriend? Something she barely has to run a brush through. I mean, why should she take any extra effort to look nice when it's so much easier to be lazy and not do anything with it.

I almost made a list of things my future husband should keep in mind. The list would have taken months to complete.

You got attention. Wonderful. Have a nice life.

StellaKatherine
February 13th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Ok i've read all the posts so far ( yeah i had time and a good cup of coffee with me ). And i am getting odd feeling here... It really starts to feel like someone actually hates long hair... Personally i think short hair is the one that is all around the bathroom and appartment, not the long one. There is only two places my hair can be found, those are my head and my brush. And i had never heard about anyone finding any conditioner in the bath. The conditioner is ment to be put on your hair after all...

So here is the question. What you realy want hairyfan21 from this community ? You are speacking about future girlfriends, and now not wanting to have a long hair after all, then what do you want ?

When you post your reason for not wanting the long hair, you knew we will give you advices and try to convince you that long hair can be your. Of course we did that as we love healthy long hair... Maybe you just want some attention?

woolyleprechaun
February 13th, 2012, 10:42 AM
LOL this thread, its got very strange. You dont want any of the advice given? You offend the chaps by saying you dont want to talk to them and that updos on men are 'not something you'd be seen dead in', and presuming your the only guy here? You offend the ladies by having the bizzare air of one hoping for dating opportunities (providing she 'cleans up in the shower')? Methinks mild trolling is a possibility :(

joflakes
February 13th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Wow, this thread is so confusing.

ktani
February 13th, 2012, 10:45 AM
LOL this thread, its got very strange. You dont want any of the advice given? You offend the chaps by saying you dont want to talk to them and that updos on men are 'not something you'd be seen dead in', and presuming your the only guy here? You offend the ladies by having the bizzare air of one hoping for dating opportunities (providing she 'cleans up in the shower')? Methinks mild trolling is a possibility :(

I agree with the strangeness. I am making no judgments (not saying you are).

woolyleprechaun
February 13th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I agree with the strangeness. I am making no judgments (not saying you are).
I probably am, to be honest :o bad me, sorry :eyebrows:

princessp
February 13th, 2012, 10:49 AM

Lol! :bottomsup: Ha you win!

Quite impressive the OP has managed to become an equal opportunity offender in this thread. He is definitely flaming with the "I won't talk to men" + "I love long hair on women but my girlfriend better clean the drain". Please...if you ask me I'd guess he's a troll (but that's not for me to decide).

Chromis
February 13th, 2012, 10:57 AM

Quite impressive the OP has managed to become an equal opportunity offender in this thread. He is definitely flaming with the "I won't talk to men" + "I love long hair on women but my girlfriend better clean the drain". Please...if you ask me I'd guess he's a troll (but that's not for me to decide).

And do not forget, we are all a bunch of hairy slugs, leaving all those slime trails and hairballs in our wake!

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3264/2702612817_16daa1bc44.jpg

jeanniet
February 13th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Lol, not likely.

ktani
February 13th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I probably am, to be honest :o bad me, sorry :eyebrows:

That is not for me to be involved in, in any case. I am simply confused by it all.

woolyleprechaun
February 13th, 2012, 11:00 AM

I have the troll vibe too. You know that feeling you get when you start thinking 'Is this guy for real?'....just before they start posting 'Fat people falling over' youtube pictures on your wall/thread.....I get that feeling :)

woolyleprechaun
February 13th, 2012, 11:04 AM
And do not forget, we are all a bunch of hairy slugs, leaving all those slime trails and hairballs in our wake!

Oh man, can I steal 'Conditioner Slug' for a signature?! LOL:D

jeanniet
February 13th, 2012, 11:07 AM

What are those, Chromis? They're wonderful!

Obviously I don't have a problem with hairy, slimy things. :bigtongue:

princessp
February 13th, 2012, 11:14 AM
LOL! Chromis, what is that? Because you know that is exactly what my shower drain looks like hehehe. Omg you guys are so funny! :D Who knew this annoying (my opinion only) thread would turn out hilarious, ha! Thanks for the laugh I needed it, dear god how I love LHC!!!

ktani
February 13th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I have no idea why I am even adding this - to be fair on one point I guess - I have read that Feria conditioner - the one that comes with hair dye and can be bought on its own and from experience olive oil, if some spills in the tub - can make it very slippery. However - those are exceptions to the use rule, also in my experience.

ETA: Mens' hair sheds no less than womens'. Drain screens are a great tool period. Ok - that is 2 points, lol.

woolyleprechaun
February 13th, 2012, 11:26 AM
I have no idea why I am even adding this - to be fair on one point I guess - I have read that Feria conditioner - the one that comes with hair dye and can be bought on its own and from experience olive oil, if some spills in the tub - can make it very slippery. However - those are exceptions to the use rule, also in my experience.

ETA: Mens' hair sheds no less than womens'. Drain screens are a great tool period. Ok - that is 2 points, lol.
:) To be totaly fair, I fell over in the bath a couple of weeks ago after using a sea salt and olive oil scrub I made. What made it even funnier was, I took the shower curtain down with me and made a very furious plastic sausage:D

ktani
February 13th, 2012, 11:28 AM
:) To be totaly fair, I fell over in the bath a couple of weeks ago after using a sea salt and olive oil scrub I made. What made it even funnier was, I took the shower curtain down with me and made a very furious plastic sausage:D

I do not see that as funny at all. Were you hurt?

Chromis
February 13th, 2012, 11:29 AM
It is a type of sea hare from Singpore, Bursatella leachii. Very nifty critters: http://www.wildsingapore.com/wildfacts/mollusca/slugs/anaspidae/bursatella.htm

This picture is from my friend: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilmare77/with/2702610261/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildsingapore/ also has some really good shots of them and is usually happy to let people use them if they credit their website

Now of course, I have the banana slug song caught in my head! Jeanniet will probably know this one :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbjxVCk0c9g&feature=related
*ahem* I just wasted far too much time trying to find the "correct" version of this :lol:

lapushka
February 13th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Gee, and you wonder why people here are not throwing persian rugs in front of you to walk like on clouds?

:lol: True.

This is the most bizarre thread ever. What's the point?

woolyleprechaun
February 13th, 2012, 11:33 AM
I do not see that as funny at all. Were you hurt?
I wouldnt have been amused if I was hurt :) After a bit of thrashing about in a mood, I started to find it funny :) But thankyou for asking:flower:

woolyleprechaun
February 13th, 2012, 11:34 AM
:lol: True.

This is the most bizarre thread ever. What's the point?
Oh, my kingdom for a 'like' button....:D

ktani
February 13th, 2012, 11:36 AM
I wouldnt have been amused if I was hurt :) After a bit of thrashing about in a mood, I started to find it funny :) But thankyou for asking:flower:

You are very welcome. I am not a fan of slapstick humour but like you, I often find humour in situations that are strange or unusual and the visual on that must have been interesting, lol.

ETA: "very furious plastic sausage" is a great description.

jeanniet
February 13th, 2012, 11:40 AM
It is a type of sea hare from Singpore, Bursatella leachii. Very nifty critters: http://www.wildsingapore.com/wildfacts/mollusca/slugs/anaspidae/bursatella.htm

This picture is from my friend: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ilmare77/with/2702610261/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildsingapore/ also has some really good shots of them and is usually happy to let people use them if they credit their website

Now of course, I have the banana slug song caught in my head! Jeanniet will probably know this one :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbjxVCk0c9g&feature=related
*ahem* I just wasted far too much time trying to find the "correct" version of this :lol:
No banana slugs in my immediate area. We're more in oak woodlands/open grassland, and they like the redwoods better. I grew up with them, though, in Mill Valley. But I don't know the song! There is nothing worse than stepping on a banana slug. Soooo squishy.

woolyleprechaun
February 13th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Just the name 'Banana Slug' makes me feel all happy inside......:)

Chromis
February 13th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I miss banana slugs a bit I admit. We do have pretty snails at least!

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2754/4501009213_0b758da408.jpg
Banded wood snail, Cepaea nemoralis. Most common snail in Ontario. This one is munching my delphiniums. They are non-native and edible, so each year I almost hope that I get enough of them to try making escargot. Otherwise I would prefer to have few enough to not bother my plants! Since we got the chickens though, my dreams of escargot seem very unlikely though :lol:

woolyleprechaun
February 13th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Edible??????? Each to their own ;)

terpentyna
February 13th, 2012, 12:04 PM
http://fymenwithlonghair.tumblr.com/

Oh, you have no idea how attractive long haired men is for some women :)

Thanks for posting this!

Peter
February 13th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I don't find it offensive. I like girls with long hair. But, FYI for any of my future girlfriends please clean up after yourself in the shower. Wash the bathtub very clean after you wash your hair, I don't want to slip on the slime trail of conditioner you leave behind. And pick up all of your clogged hair in the shower drain please!Cool story bro.

Mods, is any further evidence really needed?

Chromis
February 13th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Edible??????? Each to their own ;)

I am of the opinion that smothered in enough butter and garlic, nearly anything is edible!

Actually I would have had the same reaction until the first time I tried eating one. Someone brought them to a party. I will gamely try most foods at least once, especially if it is only a bite-sized amount. I was pleasantly surprised! Not as chewy as I feared, kind of like a firm mushroom...drenched in garlic butter. Not so bad at all!

THen I read a book about a man who was travelling through Italy and writing of the food. He described seeing people stopped by the roadside gathering wild fennel and snails. I forget the name of the book, but the writing style made the image stick in my mind, so now I have an urge to try cooking something similar!

Aha, the book was called "Eating up Italy: Voyages on a Vespa"

Nevvie
February 13th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I read the entire thread and was thinking this is just a curious kid trying to decide one way way or the other - up until I read the dirty hippie part. Then the 'wouldn't be caught dead' part. As if men with long hair can't be clean, masculine or successful. Not cool. I'm sure my auto mechanic, ex-bouncer and small business owner boyfriend (who also happens to have some rocking some near waist length hair) would disagree with you as well. And yes, he even wears it up sometimes and somehow manages not to sprout any lady parts by doing so.

Maybe I'm over reacting but it really irked me.

ktani
February 13th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I am of the opinion that smothered in enough butter and garlic, nearly anything is edible!

Actually I would have had the same reaction until the first time I tried eating one. Someone brought them to a party. I will gamely try most foods at least once, especially if it is only a bite-sized amount. I was pleasantly surprised! Not as chewy as I feared, kind of like a firm mushroom...drenched in garlic butter. Not so bad at all!

THen I read a book about a man who was travelling through Italy and writing of the food. He described seeing people stopped by the roadside gathering wild fennel and snails. I forget the name of the book, but the writing style made the image stick in my mind, so now I have an urge to try cooking something similar!

Aha, the book was called "Eating up Italy: Voyages on a Vespa"

LOL, true! I like escargot.

Lexy
February 13th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I am closing this thread. As a general reminder, if you see something that seems suspicious or strange to you, please report the post rather than responding directrly to it in the thread.