PDA

View Full Version : question for the super longies

ravenheather
February 12th, 2012, 10:31 AM
My question is if you have to wear your hair up most of the time, what length did that happen? I don't mean you wear it up to protect it, but if you wear it up because it's in the way of everyday things. I guess the question is to what length is your hair manageable when down?

Amber_Maiden
February 12th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I'm not super long yet, almost at hip is all. I do wear my hair up most of the time, though. Unless I'm sleeping or at home on the couch relaxing. If I'm actually cleaning or cooking, it can't be down. If I'm going out it can't be down either.

I think my hair was ok, when down, before it was waist length.

Madora
February 12th, 2012, 10:42 AM
I'm not a super longie by any stretch either.

When my hair hit mid back, I started wearing it up. It was just too much of a hassle wearing it down...always getting in my way, catching on things. It was also HOT..and the tangles were very annoying if I didn't detangle at least 3 times a day.

Wearing it up not only solved the problem, but also protected my delicate ends so they would grow longer.

patienceneeded
February 12th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I'm only at BSL, so I can't speak for the super-long-haired folk, but I really think it comes down to a matter of personal preference and general safety. There are some things (cooking, etc) where it's just not safe (or hygienic) to have long hair flowing loose. Otherwise, it's a personal choice. I know some short-haired people (shoulder or up) who can't stand having their hair down, and some long-hairs who can't stand putting their hair up.

Kelikea
February 12th, 2012, 10:44 AM
My hair has to be up because of what I do. I used to work where we served food and beverages, hats were required and hair touching shoulders or longer had to be up. My manager said my hair had to be contained more than just a pony tail, so I braided or bunned it. Now, I work in a physically demanding job. If it is down, it is likely to get pulled or caught on something, or fall in the toilet or in someone's lunch, and if none of those things happens, it still gets very tangled because of all the moving around. If I worked in an office, I could wear it down more. I spend an hour outside everyday, so wind is an issue as well. If I am just going shopping or hanging out with friends, I can still wear it down. At TB, it will probably be too long to stay down for "hanging around" because it gets sat on, by myself or others next to me.

white.chocolate
February 12th, 2012, 10:45 AM
I'm not a "super longie" yet (am I?), but I started to feel the need to wear my hair up most of the time right about slightly past hip length. It started to get in the way - getting stuck in places. I believe the answer to your question varies from person to person.

Shebelina
February 12th, 2012, 10:45 AM
I'm a little past hip now, and I still wear it down when I can. Wearing it down while mucking out ponies is a bad idea, so most days it is braided or in a bun. But I'll wear it down on a night out, or if I'm not housecleaning/cooking during the day.

Schefflera
February 12th, 2012, 10:46 AM
I cut mine back to just past shoulder length from waist a few times because it got in my way at that point, then started wearing it up more and let it grow longer.

Avital88
February 12th, 2012, 10:54 AM
I started wearing my hair up since last week, after doing a trim of an inch,this because it tangles too much and get caught between everything when down.
There was no need to do a heavy detangling session this week, while that never happend before so im sure its way better for the hair to wear it up.
I didnt like it before, i always prefered to wear it down and feel it on my back to keep me warm,but after just one week i really prefer it up now, i also believe i will have less breakage so longer hair in the end.

Eboshi
February 12th, 2012, 10:55 AM
I'm not a super-longie yet (only at knee) but I started wearing my hair up at BSL length. At the time I was growing out a bunch of terrible layers. By tucking the hair away, I didn't have to "see" the raggedness.

I do wear my hair loose if I'm out and about or at home. Pretty much, any place where I will be sitting for long periods of time (work or meetings), the hair is worn up.

ravenheather
February 12th, 2012, 11:00 AM
I'm not a super-longie yet (only at knee) but I started wearing my hair up at BSL length. At the time I was growing out a bunch of terrible layers. By tucking the hair away, I didn't have to "see" the raggedness.

I do wear my hair loose if I'm out and about or at home. Pretty much, any place where I will be sitting for long periods of time (work or meetings), the hair is worn up.

How do you keep it from getting caught on things at knee length?

Eboshi
February 12th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I haven't had that happen yet, and my hair is super-fine so theoretically that SHOULD be a problem for me. I think, it is more a question of what one is doing.

If I'm getting in and out of chairs, it will get stuck somewhere so at work, up it goes. If I'm cooking, it is also up because I don't want to accidentally catch my hair on fire or end up baking a strand into someting. :yuck:

When I'm out shopping or just walking around, it tends to stay put. I do have super-straight posture though and that probably helps keep it in line and behind me. Does that help?

ravenheather
February 12th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I haven't had that happen yet, and my hair is super-fine so theoretically that SHOULD be a problem for me. I think, it is more a question of what one is doing.

If I'm getting in and out of chairs, it will get stuck somewhere so at work, up it goes. If I'm cooking, it is also up because I don't want to accidentally catch my hair on fire or end up baking a strand into someting. :yuck:

When I'm out shopping or just walking around, it tends to stay put. I do have super-straight posture though and that probably helps keep it in line and behind me. Does that help?

Yes thanks. It's good to hear that it is possible to wear hair down past waist, which is what I was imagining to be a problem.

Stagecoach
February 12th, 2012, 11:24 AM
I think for me it was around waist length. Basically, until then, I wore my hair in a pony tail most of the time. Once pony tails became uncomfortable, I stopped wearing it down on a regular basis.

lapushka
February 12th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I started wearing mine up when I hit APL. It's just more comfortable when it's up.

maborosi
February 12th, 2012, 12:59 PM
When I hit 30" or so, I didn't really wear my hair down a whole lot. For me, it would find itself getting tangled and caught in things. If the wind blew, it'd get tangled. If I laid down without braiding it, it'd get tangled.

God forbid if I tried to eat in a nice restaurant or fancy dinner when I had it down. It'd get uncomfortably close to the food, so when I ate, I put it up in a bun. Everyone thought it was kind of odd that I would go and braid/bun my hair right before dinner, but I feel like I would be doing them a disservice if my hair mysteriously wound up in their food.

I mostly kept it in a bun or braids. I could wear it down, of course, it wasn't impossible or anything, but I always kept a clip or hairstick handy in case I had to put it up.

But really, it just depends on you and your hair. Some people are okay with wearing it down long after waist. Some people cannot wear it down past APL.

~maborosi~

papera
February 12th, 2012, 04:46 PM
I'm not a super longy either, just a bit past hip ... however, since I'm past waist I feel the need to wear it either up or in a braid because of the tangling and getting everywhere in the way :rolleyes:
It's also quite windy where I live and to have long hair down in the wind is not fun :(
so yeah, at the moment I'm quite annoyed with the length, my next goal was tailbone but at the moment I'm thinking if I should not cut it back to waist to have it again more down-wearable... but it's also winter and wearing a heavy coat with hood is not exactly the nicest or manageable thing with long hair, at least IMO ... so I may just wait for spring and hope that the warmer weather will change my mind :p until then I wear it up!

sorry for the rant, I hope it still answers your question ... :o

melusine963
February 12th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I've only been wearing my hair up for about a year, or since I hit waist length. Before that I kept it in a braid, which I thought was good enough. I used to get an awful lot of braid shred though, especially at the base of my neck where it would rub against any coat or jacket I was wearing. Then I discovered the LHC, and I've barely let it down since. As a result, I have far less breakage and fewer tangles, and hopefully my hair will stop getting so much thinner near the ends.

eezepeeze
February 12th, 2012, 06:45 PM
I love how only on this forum would waist, hip, and knee NOT be considered super long :-) As to the point of this thread, I've been wearing mine up since mid-back, because I get hot. I started off with a peacock twist, then braids, and now buns. My peacock twist now looks like most other people's pony tails, which makes me happy ;-)

kjirstiben
February 12th, 2012, 07:22 PM
I actually have to wear mine up for work, and a few years ago I went overseas and had to wear it up all the time. After 6 months of that, I'd achieved waist+, and I was hooked on the benign neglect regime! (During that time period is also when I discovered TLHC, though I lurked for a couple years before joining.)

I started wearing my hair up even in normal situations probably when it reached hip length. I'd be stretching before running, and my ponytail/braid would fall onto the ground and drag through the mud, or I'd get my hair caught in the window/seatbelt/headrest of the car, or my braid would embed itself onto my hoodie zipper... and the marathon detangling sessions after having my hip-length hair down for the day became too annoying to deal with.

So I'd say the waist+ zone is when I started keeping it up protectively.

Now that I'm within inches of classic, when I wear my hair down even around the house, it's in my way. I notice it most when I'm leaning over trying to pick something up -- the hair falls over my shoulders and gets in my way. If I'm picking something up I inevitably end up grabbing my hair with it and have to make an effort not to accidentally pull out strands.

bluesnowflake
February 12th, 2012, 07:34 PM
I'm at nearly tailbone and I wear it down once or twice a month because it definitely takes more effort to wear it down- just keeping it out of the way of things and detangled, etc. I like wearing it down to show it off occasionally but it's too much of a pain to do it on a regular basis. Also, my hair is just healthier and more well behaved when I wear it up more often.

annamoonfairy
February 12th, 2012, 07:41 PM
My hair is little past my tailbone and wear it down most of the time, however wearing it down you get more tangles.

trolleypup
February 12th, 2012, 07:49 PM

Heh! Super-long is always longer! Ditto on knee. I mostly wore my hair down or ponytailed until past classic, now it is up most of the time, but if I am around the house, or out and about when it is not windy (including in restaurants) it is often down. For the most part, it doesn't get snagged, but there are a lot of years of building body reflexes so I unconsciously avoid the hazards.

Good posture helps...and learning how to toss your head so your hair gets where you want it to be.

Diamond.Eyes
February 12th, 2012, 07:52 PM
According to the gals at my school, my hair is super-long :laugh:. But compared to some of the ladies on here, my hair is just "long". I found that my hair was the most managable between APL and BSL. Right now my hair is about an inch and a half away from TBL and I am constantly putting it up. It gets in the way of driving, doing hair demo's at school, doing other salon activities, eating, etc. It is kind of a pain these days, but I am not going to cut it. There are a few days in the week when I wear it down and I am constantly having to brush it and pull it away from my face, but I love the feeling of my hair swooshing on my lower back. So the fuss is worth it for me. :)

EdG
February 12th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Eboshi - you are a superlong. You need to step outside of the LHC hair-length reality distortion field. :lol:

Like trolleypup, I involuntarily move my hair out of the way to avoid hazards. I almost don't need to think consciously about doing that.
Ed

ladyshep
February 12th, 2012, 08:10 PM
I started to wear my hair out of the way when I started to have babies. I still have to put it away most of the time because my kids will sit on it or something when sitting together. I enjoy wearing it down when they aren't around.

I would say I have been wearing it in some kind of hairdo out of the way of everyday living was when I hit tailbone length.

Misty'sMess
February 12th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I wear mine up every day now, whether I'm at home, at uni, work or with my friends. (The only time I wear it down is when I'm at the movies cause it is uncomfortable against the high backed chair, but I put it up again as soon as the film is over.)

longhairedlady
February 12th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Ive worn mine up as soon as it grew long enough to get it up.

heidi w.
February 12th, 2012, 09:41 PM
I would say around waist-to-hip length I started wearing it up. As Madora states, it's hot to wear down, and catches on everything. It's just easier up. I sleep with it down, now. So now first thing in the morning it's down, and that's about the only time it is ever seen down. The only other time is when I have to re-do my updo, which does happen a bit more than occasionally.

heidi w.

heidi w.
February 12th, 2012, 09:42 PM
I wear mine up every day now, whether I'm at home, at uni, work or with my friends. (The only time I wear it down is when I'm at the movies cause it is uncomfortable against the high backed chair, but I put it up again as soon as the film is over.)

Of all places I wouldn't wear my hair length down, it's a movie theater where it's dark and I can't see what people behind me are doing. I have this weird fear that some gaggle of kids would find it humorous to cut my hair off, without my knowledge.

I'm kinda weird that way.

heidi w.

mz_butterfly
February 12th, 2012, 09:46 PM
When I had longer hair I had to start wearing my hair up all the time when it got to waist length. It started getting caught in everything and pulling out several hairs at a time and I had to leave it up or risk pulling several hairs out daily.

heidi w.
February 12th, 2012, 09:49 PM

At first, it was building a sense of how to move to avoid "tragedies".

Now, it's just easier to wear it up. The potential for tragedy at this length is so easy. Just bending over or kneeling means hair is draping on the floor. Same for sitting. For example, putting away groceries is a problem if my hair is down because coming from kneeling to standing often means I get some tidbit of hair underfoot (or under the heel of my foot) and step on my own hair. Climbing a staircase while hair is down, in particular, can pose problems, too.

I learned to never wear it down at work since it gets caught even in my office chair. And you haven't lived til you've unwound yourself from your own chair, consuming around 15-30 minutes of time, all the while praying that no one discovers you and your struggles. It's very embarassing to be all trapped by your hair, in an office outfit (which for me is often a skirt or dress of some kind) and having to unravel yourself.

Phew!

heidi w.

Seeshami
February 12th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Not super long here either but the mess has been up since it was able to pony tail. It is very rarely down... Maybe that's why it's mean and hateful, he only wants to be free.....

All I have to say to that is "To bad naughty mess, get back in your bun and stay there or I am getting the bun covers and spin pins"

ScarlettAdelle
February 13th, 2012, 01:11 AM
I'm not what I would consider a super longie yet (for me that'll occur somewhere between classic and fingertip)I'm at a maintenance / hemline thickening stage at tailbone, but I've pretty much always worn my hair up (except, of course, after that unfortunate day it was cut too short to get into a ponytail). I dislike my natural curl pattern, but love it when it's flat ironed or set in rollers, so between rare special occasions when I break out the heat tools, it's pretty much in a bun at all times.

darklion
February 13th, 2012, 01:43 AM
wearing my hair up became necessary at around waist. Before that I could throw it in a ponytail and be okay, now my hair is too long for the simple ponytail or knot bun... I have to bun it with sticks or a fork.
That's actually what drove me to LHC. I had been getting yearly haircuts from waist to bsl just because I knew how to handle and style those lengths. I got really tired of being forced to cut my hair so I started hunting for new ways to wear it and that's how I found LHC!!! Now I occasionally wear it down (mostly just on wash day), sometimes I wear it half up (I've been desperately trying to learn how to pin up victory rolls), and I mostly keep it contained and tidy.
It's longer than ever and looks better than it ever did before (due to better care through LHC).

herdaughter77
February 13th, 2012, 12:58 PM
I started wearing it up and out of the way when it got long enough to dip in things I leaned over. It was about knee length, I think, when I got fed up with it in long braids falling in the way. Hope this helps! :D

pepperminttea
February 13th, 2012, 02:30 PM
I'm not a super longie either, but I started wearing my hair up most of the time around BSL, purely because I was living somewhere much colder and drier than I'm used to, and I had no clue how to deal with the static, and I didn't want my hair in the way taking off and on heavy winter clothing a lot. I remember thinking that if I lived there full-time I'd maintain a much shorter length because it bugged me so much.

Back home, I was already into the habit, so I kept it up. But I think I still could have worn it down all the way to hip without any big problems for everyday tasks. :) The health of my hair would have suffered though, and if I'm going to be around fire or dangerous machines, I'd wear it up even at shoulder.

I'm not a super-longie yet (only at knee)

:rollin:

Anje
February 13th, 2012, 02:35 PM
I'm another who won't claim the "super longy" title yet since I'm only at tailbone, but I've been pulling my hair back at least in a ponytail most days since it was shoulder length. I switched to buns somewhere in the BSL range because I had damage from the ponytail bands and realized I would have to distribute the weight better to keep my hair from breaking, rather than because the length was unmanageable at that point. I've been wearing buns and braids ever since -- I suspect it's a personality thing. Some folks (me!) just plain don't want to deal with the hair most of the time.

YumiYume
February 14th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I think everything past waist is superlong still XD. But I dont have It to waist completely but my hair is layered so when I want it out of the way with all the irritating layers, I usualy do a side-braid ^^ but I do like it hanging loose so thats how I almost have it always, like how the hair feels long ^^

poodlemom
February 14th, 2012, 10:32 AM
I probably started wearing mine up most of the time around BSL. I have fine hair, and fairytale ends. My hair would not stay behind my shoulders, and i would catch it in car doors!! Even when i was cutting my hair short, i couldnt wait for it to at least go in a headband. i dont like it touching my face.

Dragon Faery
February 14th, 2012, 07:41 PM
When my hair was mostly one length, I wore it down half the time until it began to hit waist. Then (a) I got tired of it getting caught in things, and (b) it was finally long enough to experiment with really fun styles.

This time around, my super-annoying face-framing layers are in the way. They are finally at collarbone, but constantly get in my face. So up it goes, every day except the rare special occasion. My hair isn't very long yet, though. The longest layer is about BSL.

If I had no layers and didn't know about protecting my ends, I would probably be wearing it down again until waist, since it wouldn't be too much in the way yet.

Freckled.Thing
February 14th, 2012, 11:27 PM
I'm not a super longie by any means, but now that my hair has reached waist it get's tangled in my elbows sometimes. Not to mention my coat and shoulder bag. I can still wear it down occasionally but at this point less is more.

woolyleprechaun
February 15th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Mines been up since APL, pretty much. Its got horrid layers that need keeping out of my notice ;)

Nera
February 15th, 2012, 03:23 AM
I am definitely not long, somewhere between waist and hip.
I was all about wearing my hair down, before it was past waist. Having my neck pierced recently also contributed to me wearing it up more often, but now that I got the hang of it, it can really help protecting your hair.

I do wonder how folks with longer hair than mine, deal with the weight of their hair. If I wear my hair in a bun, I have to let it down sometimes, because it gets heavy. The vortex bun is not that bad, for about a day, but in the evenings it does get heavy.

hanne jensen
February 15th, 2012, 04:55 AM
I'm far from a longie. I started wearing my hair up all the time as soon as I could put it up. I did this to protect my very delicate ends. I'm so used to having my hair up all the time that it irritates me no end when it's down air drying.

trolleypup
February 15th, 2012, 09:08 AM
I do wonder how folks with longer hair than mine, deal with the weight of their hair. If I wear my hair in a bun, I have to let it down sometimes, because it gets heavy. The vortex bun is not that bad, for about a day, but in the evenings it does get heavy.
I really don't notice a low bun, but on the rare occasions I have it higher, I notice the weight more. Low and close...I guess the further from the neck (higher and further out from the head) would be more noticeable.

darklion
February 22nd, 2012, 11:37 PM
I really don't notice a low bun, but on the rare occasions I have it higher, I notice the weight more. Low and close...I guess the further from the neck (higher and further out from the head) would be more noticeable.
Trollypup... I really think you need to post some pictures of your bun. In your album, most your pics are length pics... it's open and free... how about a bun pic!!

tigereye
February 23rd, 2012, 03:17 AM
I'm not a super longie either - my hair is about 0.5" from hip, but has a v-cut and is layered. My shortest strands are around APL.
I wear my hair up to keep it out of the way and keep me cool - I have done so for years, because long hair can become dangerous pretty quickly in chemistry labs or when cooking. I'm also one of those people who are always too hot, so I need my hair out my face and off my neck - any length that touches my neck I would need to put up.
On the other hand, I can still wear it down if I want to, say if I'm going out and it's not looking like it needs washed, I'll probably wear it down. I shift my hair automatically now so it doesn't get in my way do much, and I can kind of forget about it

Madora
February 23rd, 2012, 06:08 AM
I am rdefinitely not long, somewhere between waist and hip.
I was all about wearing my hair down, before it was past waist. Having my neck pierced recently also contributed to me wearing it up more often, but now that I got the hang of it, it can really help protecting your hair.

@Nera...Coping with heavy hair is just a question of sectioning it so the weight is distributed comfortably. Also, where you position the bun helps too.

mira-chan
February 23rd, 2012, 06:51 AM
Also not sure what qualifies as super length. I wore my hair tied back in a ponytail or braid as soon as it was long enough to do so. I started wearing it up after I found LHC and my hair was hip length.

Tisiloves
February 23rd, 2012, 11:41 AM
I'm no super longie, in fact now I'm not even a middie, but if my hair can go up it will go up as:
a)I hate having hair on my neck/ in my face.
b) it tangles if you look at it sideways (I have to detangle my 2" undercut, I mean really?)
c) I have this weird phobia if I have it loose/in a ponytail/in a plait in public some maniac might cut it off (actually happened to some poor girls a few years ago).

But you're probably far less OCD/paranoid than me.

danceri110
February 23rd, 2012, 11:51 AM
My hair is now almost waist length and I started wearing it up all the time because of dance classes/rehearsal and simply being too lazy to take it down. Since I got used to having my hair up, it feels weird for me to have mine down!

lunalocks
March 2nd, 2012, 01:46 PM
Not a super longie here either, but I started wearing it up most of the time when it reached waist which was about the same time I discovered LHC AND spin pins. before that, it was in a braid.

fiddlefananb
March 2nd, 2012, 01:54 PM
I'm no super longie, in fact now I'm not even a middie, but if my hair can go up it will go up as:
a)I hate having hair on my neck/ in my face.
b) it tangles if you look at it sideways (I have to detangle my 2" undercut, I mean really?)
c) I have this weird phobia if I have it loose/in a ponytail/in a plait in public some maniac might cut it off (actually happened to some poor girls a few years ago).

But you're probably far less OCD/paranoid than me.

My hair is only about 31inches and I worry someone might cut some of it when I wear it down in public. I don't know why. Weird.

jeanniet
March 2nd, 2012, 02:09 PM
I'm not a super long either, but I'd say after BSL is when hair will tend to get in the way more. That just seems to be the length when it's easier for hair to flop over your shoulder when you're bending over, for example. I can do things like cooking, washing dishes, or vacuuming with my hair down, but anything else I'll put my hair up to keep it out of the way. I like having my hair down, but it really bugs me if it's hanging in my face!

Tisiloves
March 2nd, 2012, 04:48 PM
My hair is only about 31inches and I worry someone might cut some of it when I wear it down in public. I don't know why. Weird.

Not weird at all, people really do steal hair for weaves/hair extentions. If your ponytail is longer than 12" it can be used for extensions. Not to mention the weirdos with a hair ****** shudder: