PDA

View Full Version : Just placed an order for some butters etc - help me wait for the postman?!

PeachyWavy
February 12th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Flushed with the success of being able to wear my hair up for the longest time I have ever managed (two whole days, but you have to understand how much I detest having it up!), I decided to treat myself to a little post-birthday present! To be honest, I was just looking for any excuse!

I've put an order in for some organic, wet milled raw coconut oil (I've been using the refined stuff successfully, but I fancied a change!), some shea butter, some mango butter and some little jars to put my concoctions in! I've got 100mls of each, because that seemed to be a reasonable number! :cheese:

I'm all a-dither just thinking of when my order comes, so help a waiting girl out? :p

What are your favourite things to do with these ingredients, and which ones have you particularly loved, or hated? I'm really loving this long hair lark with the oils and the natural goodness, I get a really lovely warm fuzzy feeling whenever I do anything "unconventional"! :D

bunzfan
February 12th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Keeping an eye on this thread i've always wondered about shea butter :popcorn:

PixxieStix
February 12th, 2012, 11:12 AM
I tried Shea butter as a deep treatment of sorts on my stick straight hair, and ouch, that was a pain to wash out. But, your hair is much curlier than mine, and it may like it. There are a few things I do with such butters though.

- Mix all three together, plus some sweet almond oil, jojoba, maybe EVOO, vitamin E oil, and use as a body butter after the shower. Feels like heaven! Alternatively, you could also try it in your hair and see how it reacts.

- You might try mixing just the Shea and coconut and see if your hair likes that as a leave in.

- I mix coconut oil 50/50 with my shampoo for oil shampoo and it is amazing. I also leave some on the ends to help prevent tangling.

- Coconut oil can be used as a pre-wash treatment to prevent protein loss.

- I also use some Shea whipped up with jojoba, avocado, vitamin E oil, vegetable glycerin,tea tree oil and sweet almond oil to moisturize my face every night before bed. Some people just use a little Shea to give a glow to their cheeks.

That's all I have! Hope you get some more ideas/suggestions, and have fun with your new butters.

GaJunebug
February 12th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Looking forward to hearing about all your experimentation!

Hope your postman delivers your parcel very soon!

Amber_Maiden
February 12th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Hope you get your package soon!

Cocoa_Crema
February 12th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I tried Shea butter as a deep treatment of sorts on my stick straight hair, and ouch, that was a pain to wash out. But, your hair is much curlier than mine, and it may like it. There are a few things I do with such butters though.

- Mix all three together, plus some sweet almond oil, jojoba, maybe EVOO, vitamin E oil, and use as a body butter after the shower. Feels like heaven! Alternatively, you could also try it in your hair and see how it reacts.

- You might try mixing just the Shea and coconut and see if your hair likes that as a leave in.

- I mix coconut oil 50/50 with my shampoo for oil shampoo and it is amazing. I also leave some on the ends to help prevent tangling.

- Coconut oil can be used as a pre-wash treatment to prevent protein loss.

- I also use some Shea whipped up with jojoba, avocado, vitamin E oil, vegetable glycerin,tea tree oil and sweet almond oil to moisturize my face every night before bed. Some people just use a little Shea to give a glow to their cheeks.

That's all I have! Hope you get some more ideas/suggestions, and have fun with your new butters.

Mixing the coconut with the shampoo sounds amazing? Is there a term for that? Where can I find more information? Thank you for the tip. I'd love to try this my next wash. <3

PixxieStix
February 12th, 2012, 01:54 PM
For sure! Here is a link to more information than I could provide by myself: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=65063

I really, really love it. I never have to condition my hair, it is always silky and pretty tangle free. I do heavy oilings for a weekly treatment, or mix up some avocado and coconut milk, and this washes out everything just fine. I started doing it months ago and just today finished my home made 4 oz bottle. It's been amazing. I have very happy hair. ^_^

Cocoa_Crema
February 12th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the direction. Is there any specific shampoo that you like to use? I was thinking of doing Suave Coconut Smoothie Shampoo.

serin blackwood
February 12th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I've also recently ordered some raw shea, supposed to be here Mon. or Tues!

I already have unrefined coconut oil and I've mixed that with EVOO for dry ends and as a body lotion. I'm going to try the Shea in this mixture, by itself, and with just coconut, and see which I like best. I've read that Shea added to coconut, softens it a bit and relieves the "crunchy" ness that coconut sometimes leaves in hair.
I'm wondering what the shea butter is going to smell like? I have not added any EO's because I love the smell of the coconut/EVOO mixture on it's own. If I don't like the shea, I'll experiment with essential oils as well...

When are your butters arriving?

PeachyWavy
February 13th, 2012, 04:14 AM
I've also recently ordered some raw shea, supposed to be here Mon. or Tues!

I already have unrefined coconut oil and I've mixed that with EVOO for dry ends and as a body lotion. I'm going to try the Shea in this mixture, by itself, and with just coconut, and see which I like best. I've read that Shea added to coconut, softens it a bit and relieves the "crunchy" ness that coconut sometimes leaves in hair.
I'm wondering what the shea butter is going to smell like? I have not added any EO's because I love the smell of the coconut/EVOO mixture on it's own. If I don't like the shea, I'll experiment with essential oils as well...

When are your butters arriving?

Thanks for the suggestions, a mixture sounds really great! My butters are supposed to be arriving either Tuesday/Wednesday. I can't wait! :D