PDA

View Full Version : Relying on other to help with your hair....

Beckstar
February 11th, 2012, 05:50 PM
I dislocated my right shoulder last week and I have to have my arm in a sling for a while. I haven't been able to shampoo my own hair so I've been using dry spray shampoo and conditioner. It isn't bad but not that same as scrubbing and massaging my scalp while washing. I went to the salon today and had my hair washed, conditioned, detangled and braided. I will be happy when I'm able to care for my own hair.

Also, one lady at work has been nice enough to braid my hair for me each morning. I am thankful to have friends who understand the importance of taking care of my hair!! I just don't like relying on others.

Amber_Maiden
February 11th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Agh! I would go nuts if I had to let someone take care of my hair! It would probably be DH who would help, and I trust him- he had combed my hair before, but he can't braid it or make a bun with it...

Hope you heal fast! :)

Beckstar
February 11th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Agh! I would go nuts if I had to let someone take care of my hair! It would probably be DH who would help, and I trust him- he had combed my hair before, but he can't braid it or make a bun with it...

Hope you heal fast! :)

I have very thick, waistlengtht 3a/b hair that is nightmare for my husband to try to comb. He tried but it was so painful and I was in tears that it's easier to go to the salon. My husband ended up tying my hair in knot when he tried to braid it. Even my son tried to braid my hair and the bottom got all tangled.

Celtic Morla
February 11th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Where do you live? Maybe another LHC'er lives near and could help you out?? I think its a good way to perform a much needed community service!

Amazinggrace
February 11th, 2012, 06:23 PM
I'm sorry, that must be very challenging.

Maybe your son could help you braid it, if you explain that he has to seperate each stand as he braids. Cross over, slide your hand all the way down the hair until you reach the end, cross over, repeat....

I found a few directions online to put your hair up with one hand:
Lay your hair over a chair or something, so that it can dangle over the edge. Put the hair tie around your fingers(but not your thumb) so the hair tie won't slide down to your wrist. Grab your hair and then rub your hand against the chair to get the hair tie to move closer to your fingertips, and then use the chair to push the hair tie onto your hair. Then you should be able to pull your hair through the hair tie. Then just twist the hair tie and pull your hair back through it like you normally would, just using your fingers instead of your other arm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMMoepm84RU

My other thought, is maybe you could go to a salon that specializes in braiding, and have a brown braid or similar put in. My hair can stay in a crown braid for 3-4 days. If you wear a hat, or sleep bonnet to bed, and mist with water to get the flyaways tamed in the morning.

Good Luck, I hope the time passes quickly until you are healed.

HintOfMint
February 11th, 2012, 06:25 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this, it sounds like such a pain.

I hope your shoulder gets better soon!

spidermom
February 11th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Oh dear; I would hate this so much. I've always felt that if I got to the point of not being able to take care of my hair, I'd get it cut as short as I was able to manage on my own.

Of course, I didn't take into consideration that my disability might be short. I don't know what I'd do!