PDA

View Full Version : Rough edges everywhere?

OakTreeGirl
February 11th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I've been on the look out for a detangling comb for a long time, but it seems that the ones I find have a roughness to them. I've been to the Body Shop and Sally's. Both had wooden detangling combs, but when I ran my fingers over the teeth, the corners were not smooth. Do wooden combs always have to be sanded down? I have a Tangle Teaser. I've mostly been finger combing and finishing off with that.

Also, I just bought my first curlformers today. I'm very excited but I see that the hook has a noticeable seam. Do you think it is acceptable since it won't be in my hair as often as a comb? Or should i try sanding it down. Can plastic even be sanded?

Dorothy
February 11th, 2012, 06:33 PM
I find it impossible to find seamless combs in stores. I got mine from this website
http://hairsense.com/bone_combs.php

They're really made of bakelite and they're carved, not molded. They may seem a little expensive but they last forever and they make a HUGE difference in your hair. If you're curly, be sure to get a very wide tooth one. My partner, who is curly, has the super detangler rake, and I prefer the detangler for my straight hair.

BTW, bakelite is a type of early plastic that is thermosetting - it will char, but it won't melt.

Plastic can be sanded, but plastics that are soft and flexible don't sand very well. Hard plastics sand ok. And it's probably worth doing.

pepperminttea
February 11th, 2012, 11:09 PM
I have a Hairsense comb too (the 210 'Volume' comb), and I love it. :) Smooth, tactile, and easy to clean. Seamless combs are few and far between in shops here, so for me buying online was the easiest option. I tried a Bodyshop wooden comb too and was disappointed in how rough they were, but a lot of people love them. :shrug:

Plastic can be sanded here and there but it's a tedious job. In a pinch, a nail file/emery board can take a small seam off, but for more major work I use sandpaper - a reasonably fine one to start, then finishing off with the finest one I have. Sometimes I put a dab of clear nail varnish over the top just to finish it off. It's not perfect, but it works.

OakTreeGirl
February 12th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the recommendation! My next comb will come from Hairsense. My hair's wavy but pretty close to straight, so I guess I'll get one with medium spacing between the teeth.

As for the curlformers hook, I'm thinking I can sand it down and cover it with CA glue to help give it a smooth surface. (Nail varnish sounds like a good idea too, but I don't have any.)

I've also had trouble finding hair pins that are fully smooth. I'm starting to think that I might be getting too fussy, though. I found some bobby pins at Sally's but when I ran my fingers over them, they were not perfectly smooth. Is it possible that I'm worrying too much? How important is the smoothness of hair pins?

Sillage
February 12th, 2012, 07:37 PM
I got some combs from Mason Pearson and they are absolutely marvelous. They're so great I bought 3 of their detangling combs (one for home, one for work, and one for my bag) and one of their tail combs. All of them are fantastically well made and slide thru my hair like silk. Certainly worth the price.

B-L
February 18th, 2012, 03:32 AM
I've got mine from Body Shop. It's perfectly rounded and smooth.. no sharp edges at all :hmm:

jeanniet
February 18th, 2012, 11:01 AM
I love my Hairsense combs. My hair is thick, curly/wavy, and very tangle-prone. I've used MP, Creative 8L, and Heavenly Harvest bone, and none do the job for me the way Hairsense combs do. I mostly use the wide-spaced detangler (215), but the handle rake (206) also works pretty well. I like the really wide-spaced teeth best because it detangles without pulling. My main issue with the other combs I mentioned is that while they're really smooth (and probably would work great for finer to medium hair), the tines are too close together.