PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU measure your hair length?

misspixie
February 11th, 2012, 05:05 PM
So, I've seen various ways other people measure their hair length! I was just curious as to how you guys measure yours. I brush all my hair back over my shoulders and hold the measuring tape starting at my crown and go from there. I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing this "correctly". :confused:

Madora
February 11th, 2012, 05:21 PM
I use the Dr. George Michael method of measuring..with a measuring tape, measured from the front of my forehead, along the top crown and down to the ends. Actually, my sister does the measuring since it's not possible for me to measure my hair correctly.

Amber_Maiden
February 11th, 2012, 05:52 PM
I no longer measure my hair. I find it more accurate to find where it falls naturally, when dry, on my body- down my back.

PixxieStix
February 11th, 2012, 06:24 PM
I don't measure anything but root growth. :D I find it much more reliable to "mark" on my body where hair is when dry the day of washing, and that is it. I can't be bothered much with anything else, it's going to grow as fast as it is going to grow.

blondie9912
February 11th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Simple- I don't :D I take monthly progress photos instead. I fear that by measuring my hair I will become that girl who is ecstatic when I measure an inch of growth in a month, or upset if it's under half an inch. Also, there is the large possibility that incorrect measuring will mess with my head.

jojo
February 11th, 2012, 07:05 PM
The way most LHC members measure there hair is using madora's way, I follow this too!

misspixie
February 11th, 2012, 07:07 PM
The way most LHC members measure there hair is using madora's way, I follow this too!
Can you link me to madora's method? I'm fairly new to this site ^.^

sun-kissed
February 11th, 2012, 07:36 PM
I use the Dr. George Michael method of measuring..with a measuring tape, measured from the front of my forehead, along the top crown and down to the ends. Actually, my sister does the measuring since it's not possible for me to measure my hair correctly.

See the quote from earlier in the thread.^ :D
I, too, use Dr. Michael's method when I choose to measure.

auroraclio
February 11th, 2012, 08:17 PM
I measure from hairline over my head and to the back with a piece of yarn, then measure the yarn with a measuring tape, ha ha! I really need to go buy a soft measuring tape one of these days....

CurlyCap
February 11th, 2012, 08:49 PM
lol

After I co-wash, I grab the same lock in the back and tug it down. If it's further down than it was last time I did that, I am happy.

I never understood "measuring". Most people are only going to say short, medium, waist, hips. I figure that as my hair grows longer....it'll look it. :D

misspixie
February 11th, 2012, 08:52 PM
See the quote from earlier in the thread.^ :D
I, too, use Dr. Michael's method when I choose to measure.
Hahaha wow, I am an idiot! Thank you! :D

B-L
February 12th, 2012, 01:52 AM
I mostly look where my hair falls and use the BSL, WL, TB or so.. But now I have started to measure cuz I'm doing castor oil treatment and want it to be accurate.

I do use Dr. Michael's method :
https://sites.google.com/site/habioku/about-hair/hair-measurement

jojo
February 12th, 2012, 03:48 PM

Madora has posted the George Micheal's method, most of us follow that way, from front hair line, over head and to ends!:)

PurplePenguin
February 12th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Wow, I have only really measured once but I guess I did it wrong. I had DH measure from the whirly crown spot on my head to the end of the hair...hmm if I do it correctly I will probably have a couple more inches, cool.

Honestwitness
February 12th, 2012, 04:08 PM
I use the Madora/Michaels/LHC method to get a measurement in inches. But…I also use the Honestwitness method of fist over fist and then how many knuckles.

I'll explain. When I'm in the shower, with my hair totally drenched after rinsing out shampoo and conditioner, I gather my hair in my right hand in a low ponytail at the nape of my neck and squeeze the water out. Then I add my left hand below my right hand and squeeze. Then I alternate my hands the same way all down the length until I reach the end.

Currently, my hair is five fists and one knuckle long, or waist length, or 28.5 inches. The longest it has ever been was six fists and one knuckle, or hip length, or 30 inches, but there were only about ten hairs that reached that length. So I trimmed it a little at a time over the last few months, until I'm bact to 5f/1k, or waist, or 28.5 inches.

I also take pictures of my length almost every day. I'm more interested in having healthy ends than length, but I still have a pretty severe taper all the way up to APL. I'm willing to tolerate the sparseness more than the lack of length I would have at APL. I like BSL to waist, because it stays behind my shoulders better than APL does.

Long_hair_bear
February 12th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I too do it the Madora way. I have my hubby help me to see where my hair falls. Today was measuring dayas a matter of fact. I gained an inch after using mn for a month! :)

melusine963
February 12th, 2012, 08:27 PM
I used to measure straight down from the very front of my parting. When I joined here I noticed that most people were using Madora/George Michael's method, so that's the one that I use in my profile. I find it easiest to think in terms of waist/hip/tailbone length, to be honest.

Kira94
February 12th, 2012, 09:30 PM
I too use the Madora way. :) Though I have to get my mom to help cause I can't measure it accurately in the back by myself.

heidi w.
February 12th, 2012, 09:36 PM
When I used to measure, which I don't anymore, I would hold the start of a measuring tape at the front forehead hairline and have someone else draw it over the top of my head and then also down the length down the back, in the center, which is where hair grows the thickest, and longest usually (for most). I am not positive if this is precisely what Madora does. I became confused by her use of the phrase "top crown". But I think I do it the GM way, which is apparently supposedly the "proper" way to measure. But I have been in contests that measure very differently and not this way at all.

heidi w.

Cirafly24
February 12th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I use the Madora/Michaels/LHC method to get a measurement in inches. But…I also use the Honestwitness method of fist over fist and then how many knuckles.

I'll explain. When I'm in the shower, with my hair totally drenched after rinsing out shampoo and conditioner, I gather my hair in my right hand in a low ponytail at the nape of my neck and squeeze the water out. Then I add my left hand below my right hand and squeeze. Then I alternate my hands the same way all down the length until I reach the end.

Currently, my hair is five fists and one knuckle long, or waist length, or 28.5 inches. The longest it has ever been was six fists and one knuckle, or hip length, or 30 inches, but there were only about ten hairs that reached that length. So I trimmed it a little at a time over the last few months, until I'm bact to 5f/1k, or waist, or 28.5 inches.

I tried your way, which I'd never heard of before, and mine is 9 fists/2 knuckles. Interesting! :)

I usually measure from my front hairline, over the top of my head, and down my back. I usually put the beginning end of the tape measure at my ends, and then measure at my hairline.

- Lizzy -
February 22nd, 2017, 08:21 AM
I used to do it from my earlobe down. So I would get the same everytime

lapushka
February 22nd, 2017, 09:08 AM
The LHC way. ;) But I stopped measuring a long time ago. I hit my goal September 2015, maintained that until November 2016, and went back to hip, now I'm just slowly growing back, I don't feel the need to measure anymore. I'll hit my milestones when I hit them. I'm pretty mellow about it all by now. :D

Rhodugune
February 22nd, 2017, 09:56 AM
When I joined the LHC about 5-6 years ago I had never thought of measuring my hair, so when I started I used the method Madora describes as I came across it being used here.
At first I measured my hair every month, now I measure it maybe once a year or so as I went a little crazy in the beginning with all the things mentioned here that you can do to track your growth. :p
I also have used the gripping method, though until reading this thread I never heard anyone mentioning also doing that, should have known I wasn't alone and I'm currently at about 11 hands and no idea what that is in inches as I haven't measured my hair in maybe 6 months or so.

Hairkay
February 22nd, 2017, 01:23 PM
I tried the LHC way last year. Having said that I rarely measure because I'm aware that it is very hard to measure tight curls. I did grab some hair and pulled down to see where it got to on my body when measuring. Even so I measured it plaited/braided so there'll be some sort of discrepancy. Since this is how I usually wear my hair I'm fine with that. Another way is just to measure a few sheds and compare them to earlier measurements 6-12 months ago to see the change of growth.

MusicalSpoons
November 30th, 2018, 02:47 PM

Reviving this thread because someone linked to it, and I really like this fist method :grin: I do measure the LHC way occasionally, but I use this more frequently because it's much simpler, and I can easily see definite growth each couple of months. It also doesn't depend on being combed straight or being less poufy than when it's freshly washed, because the water naturally drags it to its full length. Plus it's fun! :D