PDA

View Full Version : Mean Comments!

longhairedlady
February 11th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Okay I keep telling myself that the girl who said this was just jealous. If I dont try and believe that my feelings get hurt. I will not lie stuff like this hurts my feelings and makes me beyond angry!

I was at the store late last night getting a few things, minding my own business. My hair had just been washed a couple days ago and always looks it best day 2-5 after washing. So I wore my hair down and loose. I rarely ever wear it loose so this was not a usual for me. Well there is this girl who is with a guy and I hear her say plain as day, "Oh thats too long and stringy." :mad: :( :rolleyes: :confused:

I wanted to turn around and say something really mean back but I didnt. I just turned around and gave her guy a really flirty smile and kept going! :p

Anyone else have something like this happen and how did it make you feel?

CurlyMopTop
February 11th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Ok, just took a look at your album pics and there is absolutely no way your hair is too long and stringy! You have absolutely thud worthy hair! :D (feeling quite envious over here!!!)

Kitsu
February 11th, 2012, 01:04 PM
she just jelly it was probably her guy was eyeing you up or something

dementedkitten
February 11th, 2012, 01:08 PM
It's only obvious that her guy must have said "wow, look at her hair... why don't you grow yours like that!" ... and her reply was typically insecure and jealous :)
Don't worry about it.. I've looked at your albums and your hair is BEAUTIFUL and healthy! :)

amantha
February 11th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Whoa your hair is NOT stringy at all!!! Being "too long" is subjective however.....but I don't think yours is "too long" at all either. I agree, I think that girl was just jealous. Good call on giving her man a flirty smile....he was probably admiring your hair and it riled her up! :p

Amber_Maiden
February 11th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Jealous girl... wow...

3azza
February 11th, 2012, 01:15 PM
long but not stringy, it's beautiful and shiny. Sometimes people have weird and yeah mean perception of things!

Amiblue
February 11th, 2012, 01:16 PM
It's only obvious that her guy must have said "wow, look at her hair... why don't you grow yours like that!" ... and her reply was typically insecure and jealous :)
Don't worry about it.. I've looked at your albums and your hair is BEAUTIFUL and healthy! :)

I agree with this as that is exactly what I was thinking. Your hair is beautiful!

NJoy
February 11th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Not only was she jelly but I love your "response". ;)

Bene
February 11th, 2012, 01:22 PM
I don't think she was jealous in the least, and it's a disservice to everyone to assume that she was, just because you don't like what she said. She was rude, and she was wrong, but, if anything, she's one of those people who doesn't know that an inner monologue should stay inside their head. In HER perception, your hair is too long and stringy. Doesn't mean she's right, but that's how she saw it.

turtlelover
February 11th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Your hair is so pretty! You have nice thick ends and a blunt hemline -- far from stringy! I would take her comments w/ a grain of salt.

dulce
Out of curiosity I checked your hair album,what a lovely thick hem you have!NOT stringy at all.Don't know the other girl's motives but it was a mean and untrue statement.At Walmart the other day I walked by 2 women my age[older ladies like me but with short hair] and they both looked at me,I had my gray waist hair loose and was wearing a tweed coat[no strange looking clothes,very conservative] with no makeup.As I glanced at them as our eyes met,one said to the other"that's disgusting"[in a loud voice],while looking directly at me.Was it my hair?I can only guess,as older long gray haired ladies are rare where I live .If you have long hair,you are not in the mainstream of popular salon styled hair and there are mean people[who should mind their own business] who will comment sadly.I thought your flirty smile at the guy ,priceless..great comeback.Once my hair gets to your length,the next time I get a uncalled for comment,will proudly smile and throw my[hopefully now hip length] hair around ..Don't let anyone make you feel bad about your glorious thick long hair ,that's what they want.Let them know their comments mean nothing to you.It's sad there are mean people out there,don't ever let them get to you!The only time I get comments is when my hair is down,if it's up, nada.You could wear your hair up every time you go out but why let these type of people win? You have the right to wear your hair however you want,it doesn't hurt anyone.It helps to grow a nice thick skin ,as sadly you will probably get more comments in the future when it's loose.Three almost 4 years ago, I had a short coloured pixie which I had worn for the previous 10 years and never once in those 10 years did I get any 2nd looks or any comments.In the last 3-4 years that my hair has been long .when it's loose ,I get comments of all sort fairly regularly.Coincidence?

ravenheather
I agree jealous.

sharicat
February 11th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I just looked at your hair pics too and it is beautiful! She was clearly jealous, how sad :rolleyes:

pepperminttea
February 11th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Don't think she was necessarily jealous, but she was certainly rude. :mad:

ScarlettAdelle
February 11th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Is it possible she wasn't talking about you? Perhaps referencing someone she knew who had long hair that was stringy or her boyfriend had made a comment about how he wishes she would grow her hair out and she doesn't like long hair or hers gets thin so she thinks your length would be "too long and stringy" for her?

I can't imagine someone saying your hair was stringy, it looks beautiful to me.

Madora
February 11th, 2012, 01:37 PM
"Too long and stringy" huh? Some people need glasses!

Your response was pure platinum! Good for you.

Many years ago, when I was wearing my hair down at an outdoor church service, someone whispered..loudly.."Cousin ITT!!"

Didn't bother me a bit because Cousin Itt had beautiful hair!

ktani
February 11th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Okay I keep telling myself that the girl who said this was just jealous. If I dont try and believe that my feelings get hurt. I will not lie stuff like this hurts my feelings and makes me beyond angry!

I was at the store late last night getting a few things, minding my own business. My hair had just been washed a couple days ago and always looks it best day 2-5 after washing. So I wore my hair down and loose. I rarely ever wear it loose so this was not a usual for me. Well there is this girl who is with a guy and I hear her say plain as day, "Oh thats too long and stringy." :mad: :( :rolleyes: :confused:

I wanted to turn around and say something really mean back but I didnt. I just turned around and gave her guy a really flirty smile and kept going! :p

Anyone else have something like this happen and how did it make you feel?

Your hair is gorgeous, the guy probably loves long hair or admires it and may have a "roving eye" (be a flirt). He most likely was staring at your hair and admiring it and she was trying to make up for that. Silly woman.

Just forget about it. She needs to find a different guy, lol and you can get on with just relaxing.

Yes, it can be hurtful but - consider the source. Do you respect someone so blatantly rude? And loud enough in public so you could hear her? She has issues.

ETA: Great response on your part!

sun-kissed
February 11th, 2012, 01:45 PM
I agree that her man had probably said something about how pretty you where, she was simply trying to keep her hold on him.
There's NOTHING stringy about your hair. For someone to say that is ridiculous. :rolleyes:
And your response was golden. :p Don't take the comment too hard, she was clearly jealous.

dulce
February 11th, 2012, 01:45 PM
It's funny how people comment on long loose hair,If you have a huge nose or acne or are fat,you usually don't get those outwardly loud comments.For some reason people think it's ok to make loud comments about other people's personal hair,knowing they will hear.Strange..

ktani
February 11th, 2012, 01:47 PM
It's funny how people comment on long loose hair,If you have a huge nose or acne or are fat,you usually don't get those outwardly loud comments.For some reason people think it's ok to make loud comments about other people's personal hair,knowing they will hear.Strange..

On the bright side it singles them out as people you do not want anything to do with, lol. I can just imagine how rude and difficult they are in private!

dulce
February 11th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Good point,Ktani! There's no excuse for rudeness no matter what the motive.

ktani
February 11th, 2012, 01:55 PM
"Too long and stringy" huh? Some people need glasses!

Your response was pure platinum! Good for you.

Many years ago, when I was wearing my hair down at an outdoor church service, someone whispered..loudly.."Cousin ITT!!"

Didn't bother me a bit because Cousin Itt had beautiful hair!

Love this, lol.

pepperminttea
February 11th, 2012, 01:59 PM
It's funny how people comment on long loose hair,If you have a huge nose or acne or are fat,you usually don't get those outwardly loud comments.

It happens, I can assure you. Quite often, too.

FrozenBritannia
February 11th, 2012, 02:04 PM
It happens, I can assure you. Quite often, too.

Oh yes, quite often, the storey of much of my highschool and childhood years in fact...

To the OP, I loved your response! :D

Mairéad
February 11th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Everyone has their opinion of what is and isn't too long but it's flat out incorrect for anyone to describe your hair as stringy. Who ever said that must of have been on some good (or bad) drugs.

Toiréasa
February 11th, 2012, 02:09 PM
"Oh thats too long and stringy."

Phfft I'll take your long and stringy any day of the week it lovely :D

holomi
February 11th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Your hair is beautiful to me.

dulce
February 11th, 2012, 02:24 PM
One thing I could suggest is to get some flexi 8 clips,[LOVE these!!]You can put your hair in a half up or ponytail super fast and gives it a more styled look than loose.I love long loose flowing hair,looks so free and natural and feminine, but most people are so used to styled hair ,my guess is they don't feel the love we do on the long hair forum .Even though in your case, I think it was probably jealousy.The flexis are so pretty and unique,once at Superstore I turned around to find a girl with her face pressed close to the back of my head studying the clip!At the least ,people notice the clip more than your long hair.

dulce
February 11th, 2012, 02:27 PM
So people do comment on other stuff too,it hasn't happened to me so I didn't realize.That is sad.

spidermom
February 11th, 2012, 02:32 PM
When I overhear stuff like that (rarely), I automatically tell myself that they're not talking about me. Even if they are, they're not. That's how I see it.

DarkSky
February 11th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I agree too... jealousy for sure. It's so easy to get bothered by these kinds of remarks because our hair is such a personal thing. Anyways just know that we all LOVE your hair. It's in such amazing condition and oh so pretty!!! Uhh yep maybe I'm jealous too ha haaa!

misspurdy06
February 11th, 2012, 02:46 PM
That was just her narrow minded view. People who can only think from one perspective are what I like to call 'stupid'.

longhairedlady
February 11th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Oh wow everyone. I never expected such a response from everyone! I cant thank you all enough for each of your kind thoughtful responses. I admit that I can be overly-sensitive and her comment, however she meant it, effected me negatively. But wow I am so over it after reading all over your thoughtful comments! I just wasnt expecting this, but just maybe some similar stories. :grouphug:

I think that dolce you are right about "mainstream" societies view on long hair. If its not cut, styled and processed to within an inch of its life then its not "styled". I have gotten looks since my hair got around tailbone but this was the first reaction I have gotten that was negative. I guess I am so wrapped up in my own little world of loving and idolizing long hair that I forgot that alot of people just see it as "unkempt or unstyled". Well next time this happens I for sure wont let it effect me like last night because I will remember all of your lovely compliments and advice!

I hope if this happens to anyone else they remember the same thing! We all have lovely hair that we care for and style and should not be made to feel that we are lesser because we have or in the process of having long hair! :grouphug:

allio21
February 11th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Yeah you have a very thick hemline.
It is long..... but absolutely not stringy.

jacqueline101
February 11th, 2012, 05:40 PM
She's a jealous woman and I loved the flirty wave that's a keeper.

julliams
February 11th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Totally different topic but a similar thing - we were out walking our 15 month old golden retriever this morning and my son said he overheard the lady behind us say "well they probably just feed their dog too much" which is ridiculous because we keep our dog slightly underweight as she has hip dysplasia which could cause her problems in the future.

I said to my son that we know that we are doing the right thing so who cares what anyone else thinks - they just don't know.

And it's the same with your hair. For that particular girl, she tried to divert her guy's attention from your great hair by saying something narky that you know simply isn't true. She has to go home knowing that he liked the look of your hair and hey, maybe you have inspired her to grow her own hair.

People's nasty comments are often said to make themselves feel better and to justify their actions. For all the nice things you ordinarily hear on LHC etc, this is only one silly thing that wasn't true anyway so try not to focus on it (even though I know that's really hard to do).

By the way, your reaction was priceless and probably the best thing you could have done!

Yame
February 11th, 2012, 05:58 PM
When I overhear stuff like that (rarely), I automatically tell myself that they're not talking about me. Even if they are, they're not. That's how I see it.

Hahaha I do the same thing!!!

And to the OP: HELL NO. Your hair is gorgeous!

xoxophelia
February 11th, 2012, 05:59 PM
If your hair is stringy, mine is a witch's broom. Looking at your album, my guess is she felt the need to justify how your hair is worse because it is long. It is the fox saying he really didn't want the grapes anyway. Trust me, if your hair was at all undesirable I would not be reassuring you that it was, yes, most likely jealousy (since it often isn't). Your hair is basically conventionally perfect.

HintOfMint
February 11th, 2012, 06:07 PM
I don't think she was jealous in the least, and it's a disservice to everyone to assume that she was, just because you don't like what she said. She was rude, and she was wrong, but, if anything, she's one of those people who doesn't know that an inner monologue should stay inside their head. In HER perception, your hair is too long and stringy. Doesn't mean she's right, but that's how she saw it.

Normally, I'm not one to jump to jealousy/envy conclusions, but this situation sounds like it. The guy (possibly the rude girl's boyfriend) probably made a comment about her hair and the girl got jealous and decided to degrade it.

She sounds rude, but your response was gold, or as Madora said, platinum!

And your hair is not stringy in the slightest.

Celtic Morla
February 11th, 2012, 06:18 PM
People like to denigrate that which they do not understand..its a nice mouthful and leaves 'em with their mouth hanging open!!LOL

I don't worry about comments, if anything I tend to compliment other woemn with longhair.Saw a woman in our local Dicks with hair prob midthigh was watching her for a while and then had to approach her and tell her how much I was admiring her hair. Surprised her a little, but it sure made her smile!

Helix
February 11th, 2012, 09:24 PM
*Sigh*...so many sad, mean spirited people in this world. Manners are a dying art form these days, it seems...

This sounds crazy, but sometimes I take pity on people like this because cruel words often come either from a place of hurt or from a person whose parents didn't love them enough to teach them basic social graces.

sweetestpoison
February 11th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Maybe she was talking about pasta? lol

nicolina
February 11th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Don't let it get to you - enjoy what you have. Love the flirty look - maybe next time I get a comment I'll throw in a saucy wink...

In my case, I also get negative comments - but they tend to be from my family. My mother in particular will pull me under a strong light source to point out all the places that are a tiny bit greasy, and frequently greets me with, 'How long since you washed your hair?' As my response is usually either that morning or the day before, because I know what she's like, I know it is not in response to how clean my hair is but her perception of my hairwashing habits.

My point: what mean commenters think does not necessarily bear the smallest relation to the reality, and certainly does not affect what YOU should think.

miissmonmon
February 12th, 2012, 12:14 AM
People like to denigrate that which they do not understand..its a nice mouthful and leaves 'em with their mouth hanging open!!LOL

I don't worry about comments, if anything I tend to compliment other woemn with longhair.Saw a woman in our local Dicks with hair prob midthigh was watching her for a while and then had to approach her and tell her how much I was admiring her hair. Surprised her a little, but it sure made her smile!
I agree completely, if people haven't seen a certain type of hair/length often before, they either love it or hate it. I come from an area where not many people have hair as curly as mine, and most people just don't know how to react :/

tgagurl27
February 12th, 2012, 01:36 AM
I like how you retaliated haha that is perfect. And as other people have said your hairs is not stringy.. It's lovely

Mesmerise
February 12th, 2012, 01:53 AM
Well your hair is long... stringy it is not! Now MY hair has the potential to be stringy when long ;) but I don't think yours does at all!

Now I have seen some hair that IS long and stringy. But yeah, I keep it to myself. Why would you even make a mean comment about someone like that?? Other people's hair is none of my business, and likewise I consider MY hair none of their business!

I haven't had any comments like that about mine...but it's really not long enough yet :p. When I do, at least I know my hair is getting noticed!!

Is it jealousy or not? I dunno. I can't read other people's minds. She may genuinely not like the length... but the "stringy" part gets me... I mean, sure you can say, "Oh her hair is too long for my liking" but where does stringy come in? That certainly makes it sound bitchy or jealous.

hellucy
February 12th, 2012, 04:23 AM
Meow...saucer of milk for the girl in aisle 6!
Your hair looks gorgeous its not too long (there's no such thing!) and no way is your hair even close to stringy it looks so thick & healthy.

jojo
February 12th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Can hair ever be too long??? sounds like the guy made a comment and his girlfriend got jealous!

HelloKitteh
February 12th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Stringy? That b**** is having a right laugh!
Maybe she's seen too many soaps with hair-extensioned females, that's the only 'logical' excuse if she's not jealous. Your hair is perfect.
Otherwise she is preparing the BF to fork out on hair extensions, or wants to justify spending some money on those...

BrightEyes
February 12th, 2012, 02:14 PM
I just love how you responded to her comment. A flirty smile at her man was perfect:D

Your hair is beautiful, in no way stringy at all. People can be so rude sometimes. But don't let her comment get to you. Wear your beautiful hair proudly.

Anadyomene
February 12th, 2012, 02:33 PM
:love:Your hair is beautiful. Some people feel the need to insult others when they are jealous or unhappy themselves. I guess they do it to make themselves feel better, however it just ends up hurting others. I think you did the right thing not acknowledging the comment. Just know that your hair is beautiful and shiny. Be happy and don't let a spiteful comment bring you down.:blossom:

longhairedlady
February 12th, 2012, 08:23 PM
:grouphug: Wow yall sure do know how to make someone feel better! I just dont understand people who go out of there way to be mean like that. I guess next time it happens I should be flattered because it just means that my hair is turning heads! :cool: Seriously though stuff like that is hurtful even if it shouldnt effect me, it still does. I am over it today though thank goodness!

ladyshep
February 12th, 2012, 08:33 PM
You have really neat hair!

heidi w.
February 12th, 2012, 09:54 PM
I've heard this one more than once. Especially the part, "It's too long." I hear, "It's beautiful, but it's too long."

I just don't even look at them. I don't bother. They are expressing their own opinion which is based entirely on ideas and experiences they've had. It's their opinion.

I also am no longer into arguing for long hair. I've been in plenty of public arguments about hair length, Locks of Love, and other long hair related topics. It's just a waste of time. They walk away thinking I'm an idiot, and I think the same of them.

Let 'em be, I think. Just let 'em be. No need to poke the beasts.

heidi w.

maborosi
February 12th, 2012, 10:57 PM
I've heard this one more than once. Especially the part, "It's too long." I hear, "It's beautiful, but it's too long."

I just don't even look at them. I don't bother. They are expressing their own opinion which is based entirely on ideas and experiences they've had. It's their opinion.

I also am no longer into arguing for long hair. I've been in plenty of public arguments about hair length, Locks of Love, and other long hair related topics. It's just a waste of time. They walk away thinking I'm an idiot, and I think the same of them.

Let 'em be, I think. Just let 'em be. No need to poke the beasts.

heidi w.

This is a really good point. Some people are just set in their ways. The only nasty comment or two I've received was by a girl who was legitimately jealous of my hair. Not all people are, some people just feel like they need to have a say in how other people look or it somehow offends their sensibilities or...something.

And longhairedlady, your hair is beautiful. It's not stringy. I'm not even sure how anyone could come to that conclusion...

~maborosi~

heidi w.
February 13th, 2012, 08:40 AM
It's really important to keep "the source" in mind. It can help calm feathers faster than just about anything you could think to say or do.

Stringy hair: what does she know?

heidi w.

hairyfan21
February 13th, 2012, 08:43 AM
If it was me I would have punched them in the face.

Seeshami
February 13th, 2012, 08:49 AM
People (aka soon to be in-laws) say hurtful things to me on a regular basis. The best thing is honestly telling them they are completely right and walking away. It's really hard to do, but when is the right thing ever easy? Now I just don't talk to them unless I have to.

Ligeia_13
February 13th, 2012, 12:16 PM

I love you!:p

Seriously, there is no way your hair could be described as stringy.

elthia
February 13th, 2012, 08:10 PM
I agree...sometimes it is better to just walk away. In my line of work, philanthropy is expected, and sometimes even a requirement. If pushed, I just say I give to other charities closer to my heart, due to the diseases that run in my family, charities that won't throw my donation in the trash. That usually stops them dead in their tracks.

Cara Heather
February 13th, 2012, 09:34 PM
No way is your hair too stringy! You even have a thick hemline. It may be long, but I want the length you have. That girl sounds jealous in a bad way. Females can be so mean when it comes to jealousy. I envy your hair and think it's beautiful. Your hair is thud worthy :thud: