PDA

View Full Version : How to clean a boar bristle brush

Hollyfire3
February 11th, 2012, 10:30 AM
I would like to use my boar bristle brush but it is coated with hair and product, how do i clean it completly?

Charybdis
February 11th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I always use a comb to remove hair from my brush. Removing product is more difficult. With plastic brushes I always wash them with warm water and liquid soap, using my fingers and a plastic comb to dislodge product and sebum. I haven't been using any styling products since starting to use my BBB, and am not sure how I'll clean it if it ever gets sebum buildup, since the boar bristles are attached to a wooden base that I assume shouldn't be exposed to a lot of water. (However, I've been using this brush for months now and not had any buildup problems in the absence of styling products.) I'd be interested to know how people with wooden brushes clean off buildup, because I've definitely had icky gunk on brushes back when I was using styling products regularly.

Hollyfire3
February 11th, 2012, 10:51 AM
I always use a comb to remove hair from my brush. Removing product is more difficult. With plastic brushes I always wash them with warm water and liquid soap, using my fingers and a plastic comb to dislodge product and sebum. I haven't been using any styling products since starting to use my BBB, and am not sure how I'll clean it if it ever gets sebum buildup, since the boar bristles are attached to a wooden base that I assume shouldn't be exposed to a lot of water. (However, I've been using this brush for months now and not had any buildup problems in the absence of styling products.) I'd be interested to know how people with wooden brushes clean off buildup, because I've definitely had icky gunk on brushes back when I was using styling products regularly.

I think the handle of mine is plastic or somethign so it should be okay to get wet, how did you go styling product free? my hair is so frizzy and crazy without anything...lucky you:)

Madora
February 11th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I've always used a wire hair brush rake, like this:

http://www.mileskimball.com/MilesKimball/Shopping/ProductDetail.aspx?TID=_MilesKimball&CollectionID=DC0001971

Really gets in between the bristle clumps and the bristles themselves.

After all the hairs have been removed, find a tall, deep plastic bottle and put in a small bit of shampoo plus 8 oz of warm water. Stir it thoroughly, then immerse your brush bristles ONLY (not the handle!) into the bottle and let sit for 7 minutes.

Rinse thoroughly under cold running water.

Shake out water and fan the bristles with your fingers several times to remove more water

Wipe off all parts of the brush, then place it - bristles facing downward - on a lint free cloth. When dry, place it in a baggie or air tight box to keep out dust.

A hairbrush should be kept as clean as possible. Wash it at least once a week. I wash mine every day with a nail brush and a bit of Neutrogena hand soap.

Hollyfire3
February 11th, 2012, 11:12 AM

http://www.mileskimball.com/MilesKimball/Shopping/ProductDetail.aspx?TID=_MilesKimball&CollectionID=DC0001971

After all the hairs have been removed, find a tall, deep plastic bottle and put in a small bit of shampoo plus 8 oz of warm water. Stir it thoroughly, then immerse your brush bristles ONLY (not the handle!) into the bottle and let sit for 7 minutes.

Shake out water and fan the bristles with your fingers several times to remove more water

Wipe off all parts of the brush, then place it - bristles facing downward - on a lint free cloth. When dry, place it in a baggie or air tight box to keep out dust.

A hairbrush should be kept as clean as possible. Wash it at least once a week. I wash mine every day with a nail brush and a bit of Neutrogena hand soap.

Yay!, the boar bristle brush expert, just who i was hoping would help me. I was thinkign of all the wonerdul things you said about a boar bristle brush and realized i have one but it is dirty and has not been used in months, i think i will wash it and give it another try. What does a boar bistle brush do for the hair? Basics on how to use it? what can i expect?

Madora
February 11th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Yay!, the boar bristle brush expert, just who i was hoping would help me. I was thinkign of all the wonerdul things you said about a boar bristle brush and realized i have one but it is dirty and has not been used in months, i think i will wash it and give it another try. What does a boar bistle brush do for the hair? Basics on how to use it? what can i expect?

Here's an article I just wrote about brushing with a pure bbb, plus some miscellaneous info about boar bristles.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=229

Generally speaking, brushing your hair depends on detangling it first with a wide tooth comb, using the bbb properly, and being patient.

Since your brush hasn't been used in a while, it might need more than one cleaning to get it clean.

One more thing, I don't use any type of product on my hair when brushing -- before or afterwards. I prefer my brush to be as pristine as possible when I use it.

Hollyfire3
February 11th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Here's an article I just wrote about brushing with a pure bbb, plus some miscellaneous info about boar bristles.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=229

Generally speaking, brushing your hair depends on detangling it first with a wide tooth comb, using the bbb properly, and being patient.

Since your brush hasn't been used in a while, it might need more than one cleaning to get it clean.

One more thing, I don't use any type of product on my hair when brushing -- before or afterwards. I prefer my brush to be as pristine as possible when I use it.

Thank you so much! I am excited to do somehting good to my hair after torchring it trying to fix it...i plan on not using an products while brushing, the build up is from before i knew what to do with this brush. How can you tell if it is a pure boar bristle brush?

Madora
February 11th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Thank you so much! I am excited to do somehting good to my hair after torchring it trying to fix it...i plan on not using an products while brushing, the build up is from before i knew what to do with this brush. How can you tell if it is a pure boar bristle brush?

It usually states "pure boar bristle" or "100% natural bristle" on the brush..or the packaging that came with it.

You can also tell by the feel..it definitely does not feel like any type of plastic.

Hollyfire3
February 11th, 2012, 11:43 AM
It usually states "pure boar bristle" or "100% natural bristle" on the brush..or the packaging that came with it.

You can also tell by the feel..it definitely does not feel like any type of plastic.

I do not remeber what the packaging said, i bought it nearly a year ago but have not really used it at all. I do not know what boar bristle feels like, if it helps this brush is conair and i think this is the one http://www.amazon.com/Conair-Wood-Brush-Mixed-Bristles/dp/B0051E38CM i just read though, it says it has nylon bristles also, can i still use it?

Madora
February 11th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I do not remeber what the packaging said, i bought it nearly a year ago but have not really used it at all. I do not know what boar bristle feels like, if it helps this brush is conair and i think this is the one http://www.amazon.com/Conair-Wood-Brush-Mixed-Bristles/dp/B0051E38CM i just read though, it says it has nylon bristles also, can i still use it?

I don't recommend nylon..but its your hair. I've seen the damage wreaked by nylon and it wasn't pretty.

sumidha
February 11th, 2012, 12:50 PM
I used to use shampoo and an old toothbrush to clean buildup off my brushes, but recently I've found vinegar really seems to cut through the oils much better.

Hollyfire3
February 11th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I used to use shampoo and an old toothbrush to clean buildup off my brushes, but recently I've found vinegar really seems to cut through the oils much better.

Thats a great idea, do you just take some vinegar in a bowl and dip the brush in it then rinse?

Pidge
February 11th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Hollyfire, I believe that is a mixed (nylon and boar bristle) brush made for shorter hair. You may find it a little rough on your hair. The wording in the description is a little misleading "mixed boar bristles". I purchased the same brush, only to learned that it's more like "nylon mixed with boar bristles". Keep your eye out for that "100%" Conair does make a lovely 100% boar bristle brush, very similar, same wood but with an oval head. I can't find a link to it anywhere, though.

Hollyfire3
February 11th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Hollyfire, I believe that is a mixed (nylon and boar bristle) brush made for shorter hair. You may find it a little rough on your hair. The wording in the description is a little misleading "mixed boar bristles". I purchased the same brush, only to learned that it's more like "nylon mixed with boar bristles". Keep your eye out for that "100%" Conair does make a lovely 100% boar bristle brush, very similar, same wood but with an oval head. I can't find a link to it anywhere, though.

I will be buying a natural boar bristle brush soon, i used the one i have as soon as it was dry from waashing and holy crap! Poof! Thick hair+wurls=frizzy mess with this thing! I am tempted to throw it out, but it did smooth my long face framing bangs a bit...so it might have pontential for that, but it made my poofy and tangly...not what i wanted..opps i tried!:o

melusine963
February 11th, 2012, 02:54 PM

I have this bbb: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/conair-performers-all-purpose-boar-bristle-styling-brush/ID=prod3908585-product

Would Madora's soaking suggestion work, or would it destroy the cushioned base? I've been using my brush for a few weeks now and I should really clean it... Thank you for any advice!

Madora
February 11th, 2012, 03:09 PM
I have this bbb: http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/conair-performers-all-purpose-boar-bristle-styling-brush/ID=prod3908585-product

Would Madora's soaking suggestion work, or would it destroy the cushioned base? I've been using my brush for a few weeks now and I should really clean it... Thank you for any advice!

Melusine, I've never used a cusion type bbb but would imagine doing a "quickie" wash would be an effective way of keeping your brush clean..provided you do it at least once a week (more, if you use oils):

Quickie wash:

1) Wet brush with cold water
2) Take a nail brush and add a bit of your shampoo - or a gentle hand soap. Mush it in well to the nail brush so that it is foamy.
3) Scrub the nail brush in amidst the boar bristle tufts, and the bristles themselves. Work down the bristles, then across them
4) Rinse out well with cold water
5) Shake out excess water and run your fingers over the bristles several times to remove more water
6) Wipe off all wooden/plastic parts (the handle/back, sides)
7) Place the brush - bristles side down - on a lint free cloth, out of direct sunlight. This way the water drains from the bristles and from the cusion too (if it has a hole in it)
8) When dry, place it in a plastic baggie or air tight container.

Bedhead
February 11th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Thank you Madora! That was very, very helpful! :blossom:

Mommyof4
February 11th, 2012, 09:14 PM
I would soak it in white vinegar, then pull all the hairs out with a comb or pencil, then rinse it with a sink sprayer or under a tub faucet so that the pressurized water cleans off any residue.. hot water would work better too.. Mine is wooden/BBB, so I boil it :D I know its crazy.. but it works!

melusine963
February 12th, 2012, 12:32 AM
Thanks, Madora! I had no idea a cushion bbb was so unusual until I googled around trying to find a picture of mine. I got it off a friend who didn't like it. Her loss, I suppose :)

B-L
February 12th, 2012, 12:55 AM
I got to ask you experts..:waving:

I've got this BBB:
http://beautyfreaks.blogg.se/images/2011/svinborste_156785499.jpg

It's bamboo and 100% bore bristle. The hair is easy to get out with my wwc but haven't tried to wash it yet.. it has a cushion and I'm scared of water getting in under and doing damage from inside (is that possible?):hmm:

B-L
February 12th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Melusine, I've never used a cusion type bbb but would imagine doing a "quickie" wash would be an effective way of keeping your brush clean..provided you do it at least once a week (more, if you use oils):

Quickie wash:

1) Wet brush with cold water
2) Take a nail brush and add a bit of your shampoo - or a gentle hand soap. Mush it in well to the nail brush so that it is foamy.
3) Scrub the nail brush in amidst the boar bristle tufts, and the bristles themselves. Work down the bristles, then across them
4) Rinse out well with cold water
5) Shake out excess water and run your fingers over the bristles several times to remove more water
6) Wipe off all wooden/plastic parts (the handle/back, sides)
7) Place the brush - bristles side down - on a lint free cloth, out of direct sunlight. This way the water drains from the bristles and from the cusion too (if it has a hole in it)
8) When dry, place it in a plastic baggie or air tight container.

Aaaa.. you've all ready answered my question! :flower:

I must ask how often do I have to wash it if I don't use it when I have products in my hair. It really doesn't look dirty :ponder:

MINAKO
June 22nd, 2016, 05:09 PM
I just wonderer how others actually do this because i started CO washing mine since i found the perfect one. Always use a palm full of non coney conditioner , slap the wetted brush into my palm and move around to distribute. Then use a very fine toothed comb in each row of bristles and it works way quicker for me than when i used bodywash in my old one. I also suppose it would be better for the bristles.

meteor
June 22nd, 2016, 06:33 PM
^ Why not just use some cheesecloth (cut it to shape), pressed through the bristles to the bottom of the brush before using it on hair? Maybe fold it twice to make it thicker? :hmm: When it gets dirty, you can just remove the cheesecloth (waxy sebum, dust, hairs, flakes, etc should be stuck to the cheesecloth, keeping the base of the brush relatively clean) and use fresh cheesecloth?
Kind of similar principle here: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/7f/04/8b/7f048baf3c464d42604b6ee718a8b0e8.jpg

kuroi
June 23rd, 2016, 10:09 AM
^ Why not just use some cheesecloth (cut it to shape), pressed through the bristles to the bottom of the brush before using it on hair? Maybe fold it twice to make it thicker? :hmm: When it gets dirty, you can just remove the cheesecloth (waxy sebum, dust, hairs, flakes, etc should be stuck to the cheesecloth, keeping the base of the brush relatively clean) and use fresh cheesecloth?
Kind of similar principle here: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/7f/04/8b/7f048baf3c464d42604b6ee718a8b0e8.jpg

That sounds brilliant but I got no clue how I would get the bristles through

Betazed
June 23rd, 2016, 10:16 AM

All brushes should come this way! And great idea on using cheesecloth! I would use my BBB more often but I hate cleaning it. I live in a very dusty house and it seems like there's always lint in my bristles. I never thought to keep it in a zip-lock bag or container. Maybe I'll take it to my gramma and see if she has any cheesecloth for it. With that and keeping it contained, it should cut down on all the linty, dusty crud that always ends up in it.

meteor
June 23rd, 2016, 10:57 AM
^ Sounds great, Betazed. :D
I'd only add that if you use a ziplock, don't zip it all the way through to let some air in, because you don't want humidity to accumulate inside with natural materials (and leave the zip-"seam" at the bottom, so the dust doesn't get in). Also, brushes often come in carton type boxes or little mesh-type pouches - and they are breathable, too - great for storing brushes and combs.

That sounds brilliant but I got no clue how I would get the bristles through
Oh yes, I can see that if the spacing of bristles on the brush is very dense :agree: (e.g. like this: http://justprimalthings.com/2014/10/18/how-to-clean-a-boar-bristle-brush/). In that case, I'd just use toothbrushes, toothpicks, fine-tooth combs to clean in between the bristles and also wash it in soapy water when necessary, then wipe it gently and place it bristles down (to let water drip down and not soak in the base). But be careful not to put pressure, not to bend those bristles while letting it dry. (Ideally, the brush should be placed in such a way that would allow bristles not to touch any surface while facing down.)

But if the bristles are widely spaced, like Mason Pearsons, for example (http://www.mayfairexport.com/images/Mason-Pearson-brushes3.jpg), then a cheesecloth solution should be doable. ;)

MlleMC
June 23rd, 2016, 12:32 PM
Oh yes, I can see that if the spacing of bristles on the brush is very dense :agree: (e.g. like this: http://justprimalthings.com/2014/10/18/how-to-clean-a-boar-bristle-brush/). In that case, I'd just use toothbrushes, toothpicks, fine-tooth combs to clean in between the bristles and also wash it in soapy water when necessary, then wipe it gently and place it bristles down (to let water drip down and not soak in the base). But be careful not to put pressure, not to bend those bristles while letting it dry. (Ideally, the brush should be placed in such a way that would allow bristles not to touch any surface while facing down.)

I've been using the method in that link for a while, and it works perfectly well, even if my comb isn't as fine toothed (something like that (http://images.wisegeek.com/plastic-comb-with-handle.jpg)). It helps that my BBB has a plastic handle though, I can just put all the end in an empty yoghurt container with shampoo and hot water. As long as I do it fairly regularly (every other time I wash my hair, usually), it takes very little time to do.

Platzhalter
June 23rd, 2016, 04:27 PM
I just wonderer how others actually do this because i started CO washing mine since i found the perfect one. Always use a palm full of non coney conditioner , slap the wetted brush into my palm and move around to distribute. Then use a very fine toothed comb in each row of bristles and it works way quicker for me than when i used bodywash in my old one. I also suppose it would be better for the bristles.

Same here, just didn't expect anyone else to use conditioner for that.

celtic
July 23rd, 2016, 04:28 AM
i have a similar problem with my BBB it ends up full of stuff, hair, oil residue, etc. i run my comb through to remove hair stuck then jus wash with a mild poo with warm water, rinse with cold water and allow it to dry overnight. in the morning it is good as new. also i buy a new brush once a year.

thePimpsons
August 23rd, 2017, 08:35 AM
Thank you for this post. You're an absolute life saver :)