PDA

View Full Version : How far does your scalp hair grow in front of your ears? (pic in post)

Sunshineliz
February 10th, 2012, 04:39 PM
I was fiddling with my hair and looking at pictures with people's hair up, and noticing that I didn't see many people with scalp hair growing in front of their ears. Even those that did, didn't seem to go as far as mine. I wondered how far down everyone's hair goes in front of the ears? I have this pic for reference (yes, I'm such a geek:D) For the poll, if it all grows above where your ear meets your head, it doesn't grow in front of your ears

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7176/6853760615_50e0db9148_m.jpg

My hair is hard to keep tucked behind my ears and in updos the wisps want to stay over my ears unless I consciously try to keep them behind my ears. It was part of the reason I kept my hair down more in the past. And helped me decide earrings were mostly pointless. The longer hairs stop about intertragic notch, but I have fuzz long enough to get a hold of all the way to my lobes, so bottom of lobe is what I picked for the poll.

This is a pic from last year that shows my front-of-ear hair
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5303/5614220295_d2924120be_m.jpg

So, how far down does this part of your hairline go? What do you do with it? Do you like this part of your hair?

ETA:Dang, if I'd had more options, I would've made a differentiation between the longer hair and the fuzz that continues past it. That would've been interesting. I just checked all my daughters (yes, I'm weird that way) and all of their longer hairs stop above their ears and the fuzz continues to the tragus. So they didn't inherit that from me. (Daddy and son went to the movies so I can't check them!:D)

So feel free to say in a post where the long hair ends and thick fuzz ends too!:)

Avital88
February 10th, 2012, 04:44 PM
my hair stops at 'concha' it falls down more so it looks like yours but it doesnt grow there..

cooklaezo13
February 10th, 2012, 04:45 PM
I don't see the poll, but mine goes down to my intertragic notch. I like to pin the wispy pieces up behind my ear with a bobby pin if they are annoying me by being in my face too much.

luxepiggy
February 10th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Mine extends about as far down as yours naturally, but I actually remove the hairs below tragus level, because I think the cleaner look is more flattering to my face shape.

Hollyfire3
February 10th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I was fiddling with my hair and looking at pictures with people's hair up, and noticing that I didn't see many people with scalp hair growing in front of their ears. Even those that did, didn't seem to go as far as mine. I wondered how far down everyone's hair goes in front of the ears? I have this pic for reference (yes, I'm such a geek:D) For the poll, if it all grows above where your ear meets your head, it doesn't grow in front of your ears

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7176/6853760615_50e0db9148_m.jpg

My hair is hard to keep tucked behind my ears and in updos the wisps want to stay over my ears unless I consciously try to keep them behind my ears. It was part of the reason I kept my hair down more in the past. And helped me decide earrings were mostly pointless. The longer hairs stop about intertragic notch, but I have fuzz long enough to get a hold of all the way to my lobes, so bottom of lobe is what I picked for the poll.

This is a pic from last year that shows my front-of-ear hair
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5303/5614220295_d2924120be_m.jpg

So, how far down does this part of your hairline go? What do you do with it? Do you like this part of your hair?

I should have picked bottom of my lobe, i didn't know fuzz counted...:D

Sunshineliz
February 10th, 2012, 04:57 PM
I should have picked bottom of my lobe, i didn't know fuzz counted...:D

:D I couldn't decide, but in the end, decided it was just short scalp hair. :silly: I'm sure it has a name and is some sort of transitional hair, but it is definitely longer and thicker than the regular face hair.:)

ETA: And I'm refusing to call it my sideburns, although that is probably appropriate.:rolleyes:

pepperminttea
February 10th, 2012, 05:06 PM
The bottom of my tragus for me. It's not my favourite part of my hair, and I tend to mentally refer to them as my ladyburns, but I don't mind them really. ;)

ouseljay
February 10th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Mine grows down to just above my concha, but it's only inch long fuzz at that point so it looks kind of like it's growing lower. (Yes, I just went to the mirror, haha.) I've never really thought about it before. It doesn't tuck behind my ear since it's so short by there, but since it's so short it doesn't bug me. :shrug:

Edit: Oh, and my earlobes are attached, so "Where lobe meets ear" and "Bottom of lobe" would be the same place for me. :D

Sunshineliz
February 10th, 2012, 05:11 PM
The bottom of my tragus for me. It's not my favourite part of my hair, and I tend to mentally refer to them as my ladyburns, but I don't mind them really. ;)

I like the term "ladyburns":) I think I'm going to use that. Mine don't bother me too much until I catch an image of them being annoying. A positive of finding I was wavy/wurly is that they sometimes curl. I like them better when they do that.

Renate
February 10th, 2012, 05:13 PM
I'm the first to vote for "it doesn't grow in front of my ears". My hair just stops where my ears start.

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3315/221048.jpg

littleizz
February 10th, 2012, 05:19 PM
Mine goes right about to my tragus. I know a lot of people complain about in-front-of-the-ear-hair, but I LOVE it!!! I'm a huge fan of wispy, whimsical and loose and think these little hairs look so cute left out of buns and updos :crush: I also have my helix/cartilage pierced twice on one side and think the little wisps around the ear really show them off :)

Ligeia_13
February 10th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Helix I guess. Unless you count that little bit falling down, in which case, it would be triangular fossa.

http://i41.tinypic.com/30mub0o.jpg

PsycheOrigami
February 10th, 2012, 05:27 PM
My sideburns come in really thick all the way to the bottom of my lobes. Since my individual hairs are thick and black, it's awkward for me and I remove all the hair that grows there. I don't need the comments people feel free to make when they grow out.

Amber_Maiden
February 10th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Ay ny concha... but apparently my DH says I have fuzz that continues past it... He makes it sound like have sideburns!!! :(

goldenmoments
February 10th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Mine goes all the way to to the lobes, though I remove then up to my concha

Dreamwings
February 10th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Mine grow to where the lobe attaches, but I wax half of it off usually. when I was younger and didn't wax, the hair there would grow as long as the rest of my hair.

Cirafly24
February 10th, 2012, 07:12 PM
I chose "concha." The hair there tends to be much shorter than the rest of my hair (about 4 inches long, and I can tuck it behind my ear.

louwulf
February 10th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Mine seems to be where the lobe meets the ear. I've kinda got the ladyburns thing going on.

patienceneeded
February 10th, 2012, 07:26 PM
My hair actually grows pretty even with the forward helix, just above the concha. It hides my forward helix piercing, which is a bit annoying, but there you have it.

swearnsue
February 10th, 2012, 07:29 PM
I've always hated my "sideburns". When my hair was short I cut them off but now that I'm letting my hair grow I'm letting this hair grow too. It's long enough now that I can put a little aloe vera gel on that hair and slick it back behind my ears.

TheMechaGinger
February 10th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Mine goes down to my tragus and I love the little whispies that always hang out of my updos there

elbow chic
February 10th, 2012, 07:55 PM
hm, things you never thought about before LHC!!!

lippleyluv
February 10th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Ugh! I voted Intertragic Notch. I can't tuck my hair behind my ears for more than ten seconds. It. Will. Not. Stay. Drives me CRAZY!!!:mad:

MandyBeth
February 10th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Mine stops about level between my forward helix piercing and my daith piercing.

Tia2010
February 10th, 2012, 10:36 PM
I had to get up and go look :)

It looks like it stops at the helix but I have some light fuzz....so I voted triangular fossa.

Kira94
February 11th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Between the concha and the tragus. I voted tragus though.
I hate mine! It always makes me feel like I have sideburns. :o :(
I'm so glad to know I'm not the only girl who has this though! :)

luxepiggy
February 11th, 2012, 02:00 AM
My sideburns come in really thick all the way to the bottom of my lobes. Since my individual hairs are thick and black, it's awkward for me and I remove all the hair that grows there. I don't need the comments people feel free to make when they grow out.

Mine goes all the way to to the lobes, though I remove then up to my concha

Mine grow to where the lobe attaches, but I wax half of it off usually. when I was younger and didn't wax, the hair there would grow as long as the rest of my hair.

I always thought I was the only one who did the removal thing. It's nice to know I'm not alone in my suffering (^(oo)^)v

sunshine-locks
February 11th, 2012, 04:39 AM
Oh, I thought it meant where the wispy bits ended :O I should have voted for the first one then, I don't have hair growth extending past my ears :P

Bedhead
February 11th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Hmmm. Interesting observation. My hair sparsely goes a few mm down towards my concha from the upper connecting ridge.

joflakes
February 11th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Concha for me! I like the look of the wispy bits when I have hair long enough to put up.

Xila
February 11th, 2012, 07:42 AM
My hair is only 'long' to the Concha (I tuck that behind my ears, though it's pretty short), though I have wispies down to the intertragic notch.

"Things you never think about before LHC," indeed.

Kelikea
February 11th, 2012, 07:53 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=119900&albumid=8987&dl=1322444112&thumb=1
My hairline sorta goes around the ear and grows just to where the ear meets the head, or maybe the fossa? Then there is a tiny bit of fuzz, but I'd never noticed til I studied the pics! This pic was taken to show a messy topknot, but it does show the ear-hair:)

torrilin
February 11th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Using the bow of my glasses as a guide... Mah hair is made of cheese, coz the tendril in front of my ears extends down towards my shoulders.

Like Piggy, I used to trim it. Unlike her, I'm lazy tho :D. It's a large lock of hair, and when I went to a minimal trims schedule after high school, I stopped having the stylists cut it. It doesn't look like sideburns. It looks like all the rest of my wispy bits, like something out of a Gibson Girl sketch or on a Victorian china doll. Floaty and wispy and delicate. (well, ok, it's a large lock for my hair, which is inclined to think that forming a lock the size of a pencil is gigantic and not at all the thing)

I don't really think it'd end up looking like sideburns for most people.

Sunshineliz
February 11th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Hmm...I hope people understood I meant how far down does the hair grow out of your skin, not how long the strands get. The strands themselves on me....a lot of them are as long as the rest of my hair--but those fade out by the time I get to the tragus, then they're wispy, and after the intertragic notch it is just fuzz that fades out by the earlobes.

Babyfine
February 11th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Mine goes to my concha.

xoxophelia
February 11th, 2012, 09:54 AM
The last of my hair grows to a little above the concha.

ETA: and that is only a few wispies most of it is above the ear.

Neneka
February 11th, 2012, 10:03 AM
There is no hair in front of my ears. I wonder if this correlates to the amount of body hair in general. I think I am less hairy than women on average and my body hair is quite fine.

Edit. I hope it's ok to talk about body hair here. :)

rakueru
February 11th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Mine reach the bottom of my tragus. I liked what pepperminttea said about calling them her "ladyburns." That made me laugh. xD

Coan-Teen
February 11th, 2012, 04:07 PM
My hair grows down to about my concha on the left side but barely grows in front of my ear at all on the right. It's not really a visual disparity because my hair is very blond anyway so it's hard to see, but it's there and I would never have known that but for your poll. :D

vindo
February 11th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Mine stops at concha!

Btw. I love your hair color :)

Sunshineliz
February 11th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Thanks Emichiee!:flower: (I'll have to remember to thank Dad and Mom for the hair genes sometime.:D)

Anywhere
February 11th, 2012, 05:44 PM
I voted Tragus, but it gets very very thin, it's like peach fuzz from the point where my ear meets my head down to the tragus.

Kaelee
February 12th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Right between concha and tragus. If I don't "tuck it back" it hangs down past my chin.

It got pointed out in class one day as "sideburns". LOL that only happened once though. My dad tried to shave them once...only once. I was really little and remember him doing it but I don't remember it growing out- was probably awful though.

FrenchTwist
February 12th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Great poll. I have been wondering same thing, as I feel my hair is longer in front of the ear than others - but guess I am wrong looking at poll results. Mine stop arount the intertragic notch. I don't like the way the hair looks when pulled back. I asked a hair dresser once and she said to use gel or a bobby pin to hold that small section growing below the ear junction. Still doesn't look right to me..

torrilin
February 13th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Hmm...I hope people understood I meant how far down does the hair grow out of your skin, not how long the strands get. The strands themselves on me....a lot of them are as long as the rest of my hair--but those fade out by the time I get to the tragus, then they're wispy, and after the intertragic notch it is just fuzz that fades out by the earlobes.

No, the original post read to me like you were asking about terminal length. (still does too)

Coz we all have fuzzy hair everywhere, and well... you asked where the fuzz stops! And as a finey, my hair doesn't really start to feel like something distinct from the fuzz until the terminal is a good inch or more. So my hairline isn't a very defined thing, it's more a 1-4 cm wide band of hair.

It's also not a visually distinct thing since I have the sort of ashy hair that will cheerfully bleach if you look at it funny. Most of the wispy hairs that form my hairline will bleach out to platinum blonde at the slightest provocation.