PDA

View Full Version : Curly girl method?

Hollyfire3
February 10th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Should i attempt to try the curly girl method? I am a 2b/2c normally 2c, or at least i used to be...now my hair is somehow very hard to balance out and if i use a tiny but too much protein, my hair goes straight like 1b straight and if i use too much moisture, it also goes straight, i am thinking of trying the curly girl method to get my much missed curl and volume back, i seriously do not reconize my hair anymore and it is killing me, any recomendations, how to start and if CO washing really does increase shedding and other info would be very much appreciated. To Curls! I hope this goes well...i have been trying to fix my hair and its issue for nearly a year and have gone from my hair is beautiful i love it one day to its ugly flat brittle or too soft and i want to cut it all off, i have trimed, heat styled even and used different products, i can't take it anymore, i need a solution, would the curly girl method help my hair balance itself back?

SlightlySoprano
February 10th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Should i attempt to try the curly girl method? I am a 2b/2c normally 2c, or at least i used to be...now my hair is somehow very hard to balance out and if i use a tiny but too much protein, my hair goes straight like 1b straight and if i use too much moisture, it also goes straight, i am thinking of trying the curly girl method to get my much missed curl and volume back, i seriously do not reconize my hair anymore and it is killing me, any recomendations, how to start and if CO washing really does increase shedding and other info would be very much appreciated. To Curls! I hope this goes well...i have been trying to fix my hair and its issue for nearly a year and have gone from my hair is beautiful i love it one day to its ugly flat brittle or too soft and i want to cut it all off, i have trimed, heat styled even and used different products, i can't take it anymore, i need a solution, would the curly girl method help my hair balance itself back?

I suggest you clarify before you do anything else. Then I suggest you find something and STICK WITH IT for a while. Whether or not that's the curly girl method or not is up to you! What works for me is after I clarify, I use a non-cone conditioner and let it air dry. Heat damage can make your hair dry straight!

Hollyfire3
February 10th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I suggest you clarify before you do anything else. Then I suggest you find something and STICK WITH IT for a while. Whether or not that's the curly girl method or not is up to you! What works for me is after I clarify, I use a non-cone conditioner and let it air dry. Heat damage can make your hair dry straight!

I will probably clarify, but i just did so last week... oh well there goes my hair color...i know heat damage can straighten your hair, but it seems after 3 yrs of daily straightening and no visable damage, it is all catching up and resultign in unpredictable, finiky, flat and ugly hair! this suck!!!! I woudl stick to something but, it is so hard to when your hair is screwed and you feel try something new and possibly fix it or cut it off to be the only solutions, i spend all day waiting to get home so i can try another solution to fix my god darn hair, its sad but i am at a the end of the line here, and with no hope ANYTHING will work once, forget any length of time, especially when my hair likes something one day then just utterly hates it and revolts the next...

bunzfan
February 10th, 2012, 03:43 PM
I will be keeping any eye on this thread i have a similar problem but, i think mine goes flat because i got so used to oiling when it had some damage that i still do it and i think it doesn't need it any-more i think its over conditioned its just so soft. I did find a touch of gel does help hold the curl in i just hate how gunky it feels on day 2.

Hollyfire3
February 10th, 2012, 03:45 PM
I will be keeping any eye on this thread i have a similar problem but, i think mine goes flat because i got so used to oiling when it had some damage that i still do it and i think it doesn't need it any-more i think its over conditioned its just so soft. I did find a touch of gel does help hold the curl in i just hate how gunky it feels on day 2.

i hate gel, i had bad breakage with it yrs ago when i tried it on my bangs...its so crunchy and icky just yuck...mousse i often use daily actually, but gel just doesnt like me...its strange, on days when my hair is flat, it is not even frizzy and so straight you would think i had tourtured it with chemicals...i so hate it because its just not my hair, i used to hate my wurls, now i want them back and am so terrified that they will never come back...thanks for wacthing this thread, your hair is gorgeous by the way!

longcurlygirl<3
February 10th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I recommend a trim or even a cut if you haven't remmoved your 3 years of straightening. The CG Method has helped me so much. You will have bad hair days b/c your hair has to get use to it.

So, 1st, clarify.
2. CO-wash w/ Vo5 or Suave or any conefree runny conditioner
3. Detangle with soaking wet hair filled with the conditioner
4. Rinse with cool/cold water
5. Apply a moisutrizing leave-in
6.If you want curls /volume apply a CG gel, I like trader joe's 99&#37; aloe vera gel
7. Seal with favorite oil
8. Air Dry and DO NOT touch it
**9. If your hair is dripping get a microfiber towel and blot dry gently to suck the water out.

longcurlygirl<3
February 10th, 2012, 03:53 PM
i hate gel, i had bad breakage with it yrs ago when i tried it on my bangs...its so crunchy and icky just yuck...mousse i often use daily actually, but gel just doesnt like me...its strange, on days when my hair is flat, it is not even frizzy and so straight you would think i had tourtured it with chemicals...i so hate it because its just not my hair, i used to hate my wurls, now i want them back and am so terrified that they will never come back...thanks for wacthing this thread, your hair is gorgeous by the way!

Not every gel does this, and if it's alcohol, CG, and maybe even organic or drugstore [Herbal essences, LA LOOKS sport, curls, nutracurl..] it help your hair. I do not like mousse because it has the things defreezing spray for cars! But it is everyone's preference

Kiwiwi
February 10th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I definitely recommend the curly girl method. It has made me love my hair. I could -never- make my hair look any good and fought my hair my whole life (like lots of curlies). But this method (plus this forum :-)) gave me the knowledge of how to take care of my specific hair type and my curls looks awesome now! I am really, really happy I found it.

I do suggest getting the book and just reading it all. Not try it from some bits and pieces of information all over the internet. Unless you find a really good website with all the info.

You do really gotta give it some time. The method worked for me instantly but I've read so many stories from other curlies who needed a few months to have the method really work for them.

By the way, you don't have to go CO for this method. You can tweak it to your liking. I tried CO for three months and it worked good. But then I started getting more itchies and I felt like I was shedding more. Now I use a (gentle) shampoo twice a week and sometimes I only wash with conditioner or sometimes even just with water. It's a day to day thing.

But it's all about the technique. The leaving some conditioner in after a shower, the finger combing, the not rubbing with a towel but using something like a t-shirt to squeeze out excess water as to not interrupt the curls, the use of gel, the scrunching out the gel cast when your hair has dried, etc. -That's- what makes this method awesome :-)

Hollyfire3
February 10th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I recommend a trim or even a cut if you haven't remmoved your 3 years of straightening. The CG Method has helped me so much. You will have bad hair days b/c your hair has to get use to it.

So, 1st, clarify.
2. CO-wash w/ Vo5 or Suave or any conefree runny conditioner
3. Detangle with soaking wet hair filled with the conditioner
4. Rinse with cool/cold water
5. Apply a moisutrizing leave-in
6.If you want curls /volume apply a CG gel, I like trader joe's 99% aloe vera gel
7. Seal with favorite oil
8. Air Dry and DO NOT touch it
**9. If your hair is dripping get a microfiber towel and blot dry gently to suck the water out.

Thank you thank you!!! I will try tonight, will post results, doesnt this take FOREVER to dry? lots of hair and long drying time already...oh well, i'm home tonight and it SHALL be a good hair day, i will be sure of it...do i have to use the oil? I have tried oil many times and my hair doesn't like them...and can i use mousse instead of gel? What about the leave in...i don't think i have one that is cone free...and does CO washing cause lots of shedding, i don't want to loose more hair then i have to

Hollyfire3
February 10th, 2012, 03:56 PM
I definitely recommend the curly girl method. It has made me love my hair. I could -never- make my hair look any good and fought my hair my whole life (like lots of curlies). But this method (plus this forum :-)) gave me the knowledge of how to take care of my specific hair type and my curls looks awesome now! I am really, really happy I found it.

I do suggest getting the book and just reading it all. Not try it from some bits and pieces of information all over the internet. Unless you find a really good website with all the info.

You do really gotta give it some time. The method worked for me instantly but I've read so many stories from other curlies who needed a few months to have the method really work for them.

By the way, you don't have to go CO for this method. You can tweak it to your liking. I tried CO for three months and it worked good. But then I started getting more itchies and I felt like I was shedding more. Now I use a (gentle) shampoo twice a week and sometimes I only wash with conditioner or sometimes even just with water. It's a day to day thing.

But it's all about the technique. The leaving some conditioner in after a shower, the finger combing, the not rubbing with a towel but using something like a t-shirt to squeeze out excess water as to not interrupt the curls, the use of gel, the scrunching out the gel cast when your hair has dried, etc. -That's- what makes this method awesome :-)

its sounds awsome, i might get the book but will try the steps posted first. Can i use mousse instead of gel? It hardens into a cast also, but it doesn't get quite as crunchy.

Hollyfire3
February 10th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Not every gel does this, and if it's alcohol, CG, and maybe even organic or drugstore [Herbal essences, LA LOOKS sport, curls, nutracurl..] it help your hair. I do not like mousse because it has the things defreezing spray for cars! But it is everyone's preference

yeah, i prefer mousse, i might just use it instead...

Kiwiwi
February 10th, 2012, 04:00 PM

I used to hate gel too!
My curls do not look as good if do not use gel.
It's all about applying the gel (without drying alcohols etc in it) to soaking wet hair after a shower and then scrunching/squeezing excess water en gel out with a t-shirt. Then let your hair airdry or use a blowdrier on cold with a diffuser. If your hair is dry it is a must to scrunch out the hard gel cast. Only then you will get the most bouncy, soft curls (well, for me) :D

Gel is awesome if used correctly (and the right gel).

longcurlygirl<3
February 10th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Thank you thank you!!! I will try tonight, will post results, doesnt this take FOREVER to dry? lots of hair and long drying time already...oh well, i'm home tonight and it SHALL be a good hair day, i will be sure of it...do i have to use the oil? I have tried oil many times and my hair doesn't like them...and can i use mousse instead of gel? What about the leave in...i don't think i have one that is cone free...and does CO washing cause lots of shedding, i don't want to loose more hair then i have to

I recommend oil but if not try whipped she butter it is so moisturizing. I like grapeseed and sweet almond oil so you can give it a try.

You can use mousse but try to use an organic one.

The leave-in is a MUST if you want good volume/curls because it moisturizes your hair. Try shea moisture coconut one, $10 but it is good or your regular old' CG-free conditioner, like garnier fructis triple nutrients.

And co-washing has not made me shed more. Everyone sheds 50-100 hairs a day so I do not see how that would make you shed more.

Hollyfire3
February 10th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I recommend oil but if not try whipped she butter it is so moisturizing. I like grapeseed and sweet almond oil so you can give it a try.

You can use mousse but try to use an organic one.

The leave-in is a MUST if you want good volume/curls because it moisturizes your hair. Try shea moisture coconut one, $10 but it is good or your regular old' CG-free conditioner, like garnier fructis triple nutrients.

And co-washing has not made me shed more. Everyone sheds 50-100 hairs a day so I do not see how that would make you shed more.

Shea butter shounds wonderful from othe info i have read, where can i get sampled to try? Also, is it possible for hair to be off-blance in proteina and moisture with constant changing needs? How do you rebalance your hair permently? i will be trying the tips above, i just need a good, clean starting point and a simple routine, i have had it with this guessing game of bad hair!

Hollyfire3
February 10th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I used to hate gel too!
My curls do not look as good if do not use gel.
It's all about applying the gel (without drying alcohols etc in it) to soaking wet hair after a shower and then scrunching/squeezing excess water en gel out with a t-shirt. Then let your hair airdry or use a blowdrier on cold with a diffuser. If your hair is dry it is a must to scrunch out the hard gel cast. Only then you will get the most bouncy, soft curls (well, for me) :D

Gel is awesome if used correctly (and the right gel).

Hmm i might have to revisit the whole gel thing, thank you for the tips, keep them comign i need all the help i can get!

arielįgua
February 10th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Hello!
I am a wavy too and I used to have the same problem. I though I wasn't moisturizing my hair well enough when I actually found out I was 'over-conditioning' my waves which made them weigh down and look like 1c hair type.
I found this website Naturallycurly.com and it has lots of tips for kinky, curly and wavy. Their articles about wavy hair taught me a lot, I even found out my hair can naturally form ringlets on the ends. ^^
Here is the link for the wavy information: http://www.naturallycurly.com/topics/view/wavy-hair-type-2

At least it helped me, I found out I was doing several mistakes. I think the big secret is SCRUNCH. Scrunch you hair when it's wet, damp, before you dry it. that encourages the curl/wave pattern.
I also found light products like creams and balms much better then mousses and gels, such as this: http://www.nivea.pt/~/media/NIVEA/pt-PT/packshots/products-packshots/hair&#37;20care%20_%20styling/flexible-curls/flexible-curls-balm/516_x_NHC_Flexible_Curls_Balm_pack1_png.ashx?mh=45 0&mw=300&reflection=1&reflectionHeight=50
I use that product and unlike mousse and gels it does not make my hair stiff and crunchy but very soft and elastic.

hope I helped :)

Hollyfire3
February 10th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Hello!
I am a wavy too and I used to have the same problem. I though I wasn't moisturizing my hair well enough when I actually found out I was 'over-conditioning' my waves which made them weigh down and look like 1c hair type.
I found this website Naturallycurly.com and it has lots of tips for kinky, curly and wavy. Their articles about wavy hair taught me a lot, I even found out my hair can naturally form ringlets on the ends. ^^
Here is the link for the wavy information: http://www.naturallycurly.com/topics/view/wavy-hair-type-2

At least it helped me, I found out I was doing several mistakes. I think the big secret is SCRUNCH. Scrunch you hair when it's wet, damp, before you dry it. that encourages the curl/wave pattern.
I also found light products like creams and balms much better then mousses and gels, such as this: http://www.nivea.pt/~/media/NIVEA/pt-PT/packshots/products-packshots/hair%20care%20_%20styling/flexible-curls/flexible-curls-balm/516_x_NHC_Flexible_Curls_Balm_pack1_png.ashx?mh=45 0&mw=300&reflection=1&reflectionHeight=50
I use that product and unlike mousse and gels it does not make my hair stiff and crunchy but very soft and elastic.

hope I helped :)

I kinda like the effect of un crunching hair after it sets with gel or mousse, but creams might be good too, i am just worried i will have to use alot of them, my hair eats products, i have used 9 large palmfuls of mousse and had my hair turn out great, this was on a good day when all was balanced, so i KNOW my hair can be good its just getting their that is the problem...i do scrunch and often that doesn't even help..thanks for the links also.

jen023
February 10th, 2012, 07:49 PM
I follow the CG method since september and my hair never was healthy that is today. Still I experiment wiht product but is fun and any mistake you only wash your hair and ready to go.

looniac
February 11th, 2012, 03:22 AM
Because you have more wavy hair and not curly hair, I would try to keep that in mind when using CG. I feel like a lot of the above info applies for people with 3-type curls. The leave in conditioner (which is so good for curlies) could weigh your waves down to being straight. Also, if this is the first time your hair has been as long as it is, that might also be a factor in straightening out your waves. I would concur with a lot of people above to say that scrunching to encourage your wave pattern is best and after a shower, don't brush! Keep your waves in tact by using a microfiber towel or t-shirt to blot out excess moisture, but don't rub the hairs since that will disrupt the waves.

bunzfan
February 11th, 2012, 04:47 AM
Look at my 2c thread with a similar question. I agree with the above i used less conditioner lots of curl cream and a bit of oil scrunched into damp hair and left it, i posted pics to there is a huge difference.

mneh
February 11th, 2012, 05:24 AM
I will probably clarify, but i just did so last week... oh well there goes my hair color...i know heat damage can straighten your hair, but it seems after 3 yrs of daily straightening and no visable damage, it is all catching up and resultign in unpredictable, finiky, flat and ugly hair! this suck!!!! I woudl stick to something but, it is so hard to when your hair is screwed and you feel try something new and possibly fix it or cut it off to be the only solutions, i spend all day waiting to get home so i can try another solution to fix my god darn hair, its sad but i am at a the end of the line here, and with no hope ANYTHING will work once, forget any length of time, especially when my hair likes something one day then just utterly hates it and revolts the next...

When I first decided to wear my hair in its natural texture, I had the same problems as you with unpredictable hair that had been heat-straightened daily for years but, as another post on this thread says, I found that the thing to do was to be consistent in how I treated my hair. Chopping and changing between products and methods of styling was interesting for a while but ultimately frustrating. I think I also needed to accept that naturally curly hair will not look like the styled curly hair worn on red-carpets and fashion shoots. That hair has been heat styled to look that way and is not a natural curl pattern. Once I stopped wanting that type of hair, I was much happier with what I have growing out of my head :D

I haven't straightened my hair for almost 2 years now and I'm much wurlier than I have ever been before. I found this website very helpful: www.livecurlylivefree.com and I found the products from these two brands very nourishing for my fried hair: www.aubreyorganics.com and www.curls.biz I also get my hair trimmed every 6 weeks and do a deep conditioning treatment once every couple of months. My hair is BSL now and very much healthier (and wurlier) than it was. If you are not sure about air-drying your hair you can still use a hairdryer: I diffuse my hair rather than air dry because it would take 8+ hours for my hair to dry completely and I haven't found that hairdryers hurt my hair. I use this method of drying: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/wavy-hair-type-2/how-to-use-a-diffuser

BTW, if, while you're growing out your damaged hair, you do want to make your curls stronger and more uniform, without further damaging the hair, you could look into getting some of these www.curlformers.com

CurlyMopTop
February 11th, 2012, 07:19 AM
My hair hates gel!. It doesn't like too much CO washing either. It took me a while to find a balance, but I just leave in a little of my reg. conditioner and sometimes a dab of Shea Moisture Curl Smoothie. That's it! I air dry my hair pretty much everyday. I don't wash it everyday, but I do get it wet in the shower everyday. Water is my hair's best friend. ;)

Hollyfire3
February 11th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Because you have more wavy hair and not curly hair, I would try to keep that in mind when using CG. I feel like a lot of the above info applies for people with 3-type curls. The leave in conditioner (which is so good for curlies) could weigh your waves down to being straight. Also, if this is the first time your hair has been as long as it is, that might also be a factor in straightening out your waves. I would concur with a lot of people above to say that scrunching to encourage your wave pattern is best and after a shower, don't brush! Keep your waves in tact by using a microfiber towel or t-shirt to blot out excess moisture, but don't rub the hairs since that will disrupt the waves.

I actually changed my hair typing once this problem started, my hair has been longer and had curls, but now since this mess started i just couldn't call myself curly anymore, it might be heat damage or something else but, sometimes i have hair more nearing 3a but since they curls fall to waves so quickly and my hair is so finicky, i but myself as a wavy, but, unlike a true wavy, on a curly day, my hair does not get weighed down by leave in conditioner. just last night i put maybe 1/4 of a bottle on damp hair and left on for 2-3 hrs, rinsed, washed with shea butter shampoo then put tons more conditioner on and detangled, then air dryed with a bit more vo5 conditioner and a little mousse, my hair was pretty curly, even after taking a brush to it (i brush because i like the look better with enough conditioner in to prevent frizz) i also scrunched while air drying, my hair fell right into nice curls, but i will bet by next wash, my hair will be finicky and dislike whatever i use and go brittle and flat and wierd all over again...

Hollyfire3
February 11th, 2012, 09:16 AM
When I first decided to wear my hair in its natural texture, I had the same problems as you with unpredictable hair that had been heat-straightened daily for years but, as another post on this thread says, I found that the thing to do was to be consistent in how I treated my hair. Chopping and changing between products and methods of styling was interesting for a while but ultimately frustrating. I think I also needed to accept that naturally curly hair will not look like the styled curly hair worn on red-carpets and fashion shoots. That hair has been heat styled to look that way and is not a natural curl pattern. Once I stopped wanting that type of hair, I was much happier with what I have growing out of my head :D

I haven't straightened my hair for almost 2 years now and I'm much wurlier than I have ever been before. I found this website very helpful: www.livecurlylivefree.com (http://www.livecurlylivefree.com) and I found the products from these two brands very nourishing for my fried hair: www.aubreyorganics.com (http://www.aubreyorganics.com) and www.curls.biz (http://www.curls.biz) I also get my hair trimmed every 6 weeks and do a deep conditioning treatment once every couple of months. My hair is BSL now and very much healthier (and wurlier) than it was. If you are not sure about air-drying your hair you can still use a hairdryer: I diffuse my hair rather than air dry because it would take 8+ hours for my hair to dry completely and I haven't found that hairdryers hurt my hair. I use this method of drying: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/wavy-hair-type-2/how-to-use-a-diffuser

BTW, if, while you're growing out your damaged hair, you do want to make your curls stronger and more uniform, without further damaging the hair, you could look into getting some of these www.curlformers.com (http://www.curlformers.com)

Honestly, i am still very reluctant to except my curls and hope growing them out will give me soft wave but still have volume, i am just so concerned because my hair has never in my life been straight or flat, i used to use heavy styling balm (the type used on kinky hair) just to get my hair semi-straight and my hair was probably type 3a/3b nothing could get those curls out, until this past couple of months, i think it is old flat iron damaging catching up to me, but it is also strange because my products don't always respond the same way to my hair everytime, i need just the right amount of moisture and protein to get my hair just right, and that balance is never maintaned. Thank you for all the links, they will be usefull on this journey. And as to the red carpet look, my hair idol isn't even a curly often, its Holly Marie Combs and i just LOVE her hair, i want it so bad and i know she is only a wavy naturally, but whatever, I will grow my hair as long as hers and see where i am then...

ktani
February 11th, 2012, 09:16 AM
I actually changed my hair typing once this problem started, my hair has been longer and had curls, but now since this mess started i just couldn't call myself curly anymore, it might be heat damage or something else but, sometimes i have hair more nearing 3a but since they curls fall to waves so quickly and my hair is so finicky, i but myself as a wavy, but, unlike a true wavy, on a curly day, my hair does not get weighed down by leave in conditioner. just last night i put maybe 1/4 of a bottle on damp hair and left on for 2-3 hrs, rinsed, washed with shea butter shampoo then put tons more conditioner on and detangled, then air dryed with a bit more vo5 conditioner and a little mousse, my hair was pretty curly, even after taking a brush to it (i brush because i like the look better with enough conditioner in to prevent frizz) i also scrunched while air drying, my hair fell right into nice curls, but i will bet by next wash, my hair will be finicky and dislike whatever i use and go brittle and flat and wierd all over again...

Well, it sounds good so far. Wait and see. I would hold off on "tons more conditioner" on a regular basis. That is not necessary and will cause you grief down the road. Overdoing is not doing. It is a recipe for problems.

ETA: Clarified hair can handle quite a lot. Once the build-up kicks in you are looking at difficulties if you use products in such huge amounts. Stay positive and good luck!

Hollyfire3
February 11th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Well, it sounds good so far. Wait and see. I would hold off on "tons more conditioner" on a regular basis. That is not necessary and will cause you grief down the road. Overdoing is not doing. It is a recipe for problems.

ETA: Clarified hair can handle quite a lot. Once the build-up kicks in you are looking at difficulties if you use products in such huge amounts. Stay positive and good luck!

Aww, thanks, i hope this works...but then again how many times have I said that? Lol, when i saw you had commented on my thread, i was like, oh great, Ktani is gonna say i shouldn't try something new, and she's proabably right...then i saw this and smiled, thanks. I know not to overdo the conditioner, but i also know that the DT i did ealier in the week left my hair brittle because of the large amounts of protein in it, i think my hair dislikes some protein because there is a 3 day straight blow dry product i used to use when i wanted straighter hair and it made my hair feel just like it does now with specific proteins, so i will read the bottle of that old product and try to stay away from anything that has those protein in it that are not in stuff i know my hair likes, did that even make sense? Yeah, i will be sure not to overdo though, i really need to make that my moto of hair care...

ktani
February 11th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Aww, thanks, i hope this works...but then again how many times have I said that? Lol, when i saw you had commented on my thread, i was like, oh great, Ktani is gonna say i shouldn't try something new, and she's proabably right...then i saw this and smiled, thanks. I know not to overdo the conditioner, but i also know that the DT i did ealier in the week left my hair brittle because of the large amounts of protein in it, i think my hair dislikes some protein because there is a 3 day straight blow dry product i used to use when i wanted straighter hair and it made my hair feel just like it does now with specific proteins, so i will read the bottle of that old product and try to stay away from anything that has those protein in it that are not in stuff i know my hair likes, did that even make sense? Yeah, i will be sure not to overdo though, i really need to make that my moto of hair care...

You are very welcome.

I would not say "do not try something new". I know how frustrated you have been with your hair. And you should do what you feel is best although I may disagree with certain choices, lol. In the end that is for you to decide. It is your hair, not mine.

The kind of proteins in the blow dry product you mention are a coating only. That can be clarified off fairly easily (it depends on the clarifying product and how much coating is on the hair). It is not that you have to avoid all such ingredients. It is the formulation and how you use a product too that can make results good or bad.

All the best!

Hollyfire3
February 11th, 2012, 10:17 AM
You are very welcome.

I would not say "do not try something new". I know how frustrated you have been with your hair. And you should do what you feel is best although I may disagree with certain choices, lol. In the end that is for you to decide. It is your hair, not mine.

The kind of proteins in the blow dry product you mention are a coating only. That can be clarified off fairly easily (it depends on the clarifying product and how much coating is on the hair). It is not that you have to avoid all such ingredients. It is the formulation and how you use a product too that can make results good or bad.

All the best!

I hope the best does come, the blow dry product i mentioned is one from years ago, it is a 3 day straight john frieda product that i used maybe 2 times because it made my hair feel horrible, and this was long before i knew about clarifying so i was stuck with the feeling until it all came out...not fun. The product i used recently that caused the protein buildup was a gel like product that i used to be able to use with very good results, but if my hair has too little moisture in it, the protein in this product results in brittle, crunchy, straight hair, but you're right, it does come off easily. I know it is my choice as to what i do with my hair, but honestly i often have no idea what i am doing and over do and try new things hoping for the best blindly, which is why I ask for advice, so far, your idea of not overdoing all the time has helped me cut down on the random new things i try, i have not found a routine and stuck to it yet, but now i have a much better understanding of what i need to do. And Btw, once the protein moisture balance is back, even for one day (resulting in perfect hair) how do i use something neutral that will not throw it off again, thus pushing it more toward too much protein or too much moisture, this sounds crazy but i think my hair just needs balance, but if i use something on a regular basis, it doesn't work. Its wierd because i had too much protein, put moisture in and got some curls, next was will use the same moisture stuff minus the loads of conditioner, and will most likely have a great hair day, then if i keep using the stuff that resulted in a great hair day, my hair gets progressivly worse until i switch to a different (probably protein filled to counter the moisture) product then use that for 2-3 washed with the 3rd wash having a great hair day, this cycle continues no matter what, if i do not rebalance, my hair does not get better, no matter what

ktani
February 11th, 2012, 10:35 AM
I hope the best does come, the blow dry product i mentioned is one from years ago, it is a 3 day straight john frieda product that i used maybe 2 times because it made my hair feel horrible, and this was long before i knew about clarifying so i was stuck with the feeling until it all came out...not fun. The product i used recently that caused the protein buildup was a gel like product that i used to be able to use with very good results, but if my hair has too little moisture in it, the protein in this product results in brittle, crunchy, straight hair, but you're right, it does come off easily. I know it is my choice as to what i do with my hair, but honestly i often have no idea what i am doing and over do and try new things hoping for the best blindly, which is why I ask for advice, so far, your idea of not overdoing all the time has helped me cut down on the random new things i try, i have not found a routine and stuck to it yet, but now i have a much better understanding of what i need to do. And Btw, once the protein moisture balance is back, even for one day (resulting in perfect hair) how do i use something neutral that will not throw it off again, thus pushing it more toward too much protein or too much moisture, this sounds crazy but i think my hair just needs balance, but if i use something on a regular basis, it doesn't work. Its wierd because i had too much protein, put moisture in and got some curls, next was will use the same moisture stuff minus the loads of conditioner, and will most likely have a great hair day, then if i keep using the stuff that resulted in a great hair day, my hair gets progressivly worse until i switch to a different (probably protein filled to counter the moisture) product then use that for 2-3 washed with the 3rd wash having a great hair day, this cycle continues no matter what, if i do not rebalance, my hair does not get better, no matter what

You need to understand a few things and I think you do now.

The kinds of products you are using can be clarified out. So, if you overdo, you have a fast remedy.

The styling aids you have had problems with I would bet have more to do with the polymers in them causing you problems than the protein. However, the remedy is the same, clarifying.

Do not overclarify. Just try and hold off overusing products and good results should last longer than one wash. All of the products you like the most to use build-up. So, every time you use them, one more layer is on your hair, although some, not all of the product is washed out with shampoo.

Try and relax about your hair and rather than "blindly" going forth, do a little reading up on reviews of some products and how they are used. That may help you. makeupalley.com is pretty good for that. "No holds barred" about honest reactions, lol.

Hollyfire3
February 11th, 2012, 10:43 AM
You need to understand a few things and I think you do now.

The kinds of products you are using can be clarified out. So, if you overdo, you have a fast remedy.

The styling aids you have had problems with I would bet have more to do with the polymers in them causing you problems than the protein. However, the remedy is the same, clarifying.

Do not overclarify. Just try and hold off overusing products and good results should last longer than one wash. All of the products you like the most to use build-up. So, every time you use them, one more layer is on your hair, although some, not all of the product is washed out with shampoo.

Try and relax about your hair and rather than "blindly" going forth, do a little reading up on reviews of some products and how they are used. That may help you. makeupalley.com is pretty good for that. "No holds barred" about honest reactions, lol.

What exactly do polymers do to hair? I will be sure to read some reviews, but i am just concerned my hair will never balance out and it will be a constant strugle always. Clarifying is good, especially for me who tends to do things in excess. thank you again.:)

lunalocks
February 11th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I am wondering, too, if it is worth it to try this. I currently have pretty straight hair when I comb it with smoothers. But if I let it air dry and finger comb, I get fine braid waves and sometimes almost waves. I don't want the waves, but would like the braid wave texture to turn more curly.

What do you think?

ktani
February 11th, 2012, 10:50 AM
What exactly do polymers do to hair? I will be sure to read some reviews, but i am just concerned my hair will never balance out and it will be a constant strugle always. Clarifying is good, especially for me who tends to do things in excess. thank you again.:)

They are not evil. They have their place in hair care just like many other ingredients. Styling polymers make the hair stiffer or hold, stay in place and enhance curl etc. They build-up though and can make hair feel stiff and cause tangles. Cosmetic scientists constantly aim to make them more flexible, and allow hair to be brushed through more easily, without feeling tacky or sticky.

ETA: And you are very welcome.

ETA:2 Start reading labels. If you compare them, you will find that hairspray ingredients and gel ingredients and mousse ingredients share the same polymers in different configurations (slightly different but not entirely or at all). Basically, they serve the same purpose.

Hollyfire3
February 11th, 2012, 11:02 AM
They are not evil. They have their place in hair care just like many other ingredients. Styling polymers make the hair stiffer or hold, stay in place and enhance curl etc. They build-up though and can make hair feel stiff and cause tangles. Cosmetic scientists constantly aim to make them more flexible, and allow hair to be brushed through more easily, without feeling tacky or sticky.

ETA: And you are very welcome.

ETA:2 Start reading labels. If you compare them, you will find that hairspray ingredients and gel ingredients and mousse ingredients share the same polymers in different configurations (slightly different but not entirely or at all). Basically, they serve the same purpose.

This makes sense, but i also wonder why my hair changes texture so crazy drasticly when i use too much protein or moisture, is it really posssible to permaently alter this balance or is it just off forver?

Hollyfire3
February 11th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I think that if you want more curls, give it a try, but if your hair is on the finer or limper side, be careful because many products and too much conditioner can weigh your hair down. It may be worth something to try just to bring more curl out, but you may have to modify it a bit. Good luck!

ktani
February 11th, 2012, 11:06 AM
This makes sense, but i also wonder why my hair changes texture so crazy drasticly when i use too much protein or moisture, is it really posssible to permaently alter this balance or is it just off forver?

It makes sense to me. It is not necessarily a protein/moisture imbalance. What you have been doing constantly is throwing everything you can think of on your hair at once. No one's hair can handle all of that all of the time and in large amounts.

Be more selective, and try a few things at once or at one time to be more exact. Because "protein overload" is a popular phase and because a product you use contains protein, does not mean that is the problem, necessarily at all.

Hollyfire3
February 11th, 2012, 11:09 AM
It makes sense to me. It is not necessarily a protein/moisture imbalance. What you have been doing constantly is throwing everything you can think of on your hair at once. No one's hair can handle all of that all of the time and in large amounts.

Be more selective, and try a few things at once or at one time to be more exact. Because "protein overload" is a popular phase and because a product you use contains protein, does not mean that is the problem, necessarily at all.

Yeah, i will try to be more picky about what i use instead of using everything, i just don't understand how something can work one day and not the next even when i am doing the exact same thing. And i know everything is not protein overload, but my hair certainly does not like too much protein

ktani
February 11th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Yeah, i will try to be more picky about what i use instead of using everything, i just don't understand how something can work one day and not the next even when i am doing the exact same thing. And i know everything is not protein overload, but my hair certainly does not like too much protein

I would venture to guess the bad days can be summed up as "the last straw" - your hair has had one too many a layer of whatever - or more correctly - layers of everything thrust upon it.

It is sending you a clear message - reduce - reduce - reduce.

Hollyfire3
February 11th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I would venture to guess the bad days can be summed up as "the last straw" - your hair has had one too many a layer of whatever - or more correctly - layers of everything thrust upon it.

It is sending you a clear message - reduce - reduce - reduce.

Yes i am sure it is, the problem is my brain clearly isn't getting the message, my heas is quite thick, it must be all that hair stoping the information from sinking in! Lol just kiding, but seriously i will settle on a consistent system and try to stick to it, my hair will surely thank me!

ktani
February 11th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Yes i am sure it is, the problem is my brain clearly isn't getting the message, my heas is quite thick, it must be all that hair stoping the information from sinking in! Lol just kiding, but seriously i will settle on a consistent system and try to stick to it, my hair will surely thank me!

It is not entirely you, lol. Marketing wants you to use products in amounts that are not necessary. You just got that message a little too well. Trust your hair - it will tell you what you need to know, once you understand the "language" and how products really work, not the hype.

Hollyfire3
February 11th, 2012, 11:22 AM
It is not entirely you, lol. Marketing wants you to use products in amounts that are not necessary. You just got that message a little too well. Trust your hair - it will tell you what you need to know, once you understand the "language".

I will try, hey i listen to animals, how come my hair isn't as clear as a meow or neigh? I will try clarifying then using a good ol' sallys shampoo and conditioner i have used to years, even though it has cones and sulfates, then i will use my mousse (yeah i know i'm hung up on it, maybe i should loook into another one...) and air dry and try to wash every 2 days (i know i could go longer, but my hair is getting used to nearly daily washed so i have to wean it off that...) i shall fix this and listen to my hair, i vow not to overdo, it does not help at all

ktani
February 11th, 2012, 11:27 AM
I will try, hey i listen to animals, how come my hair isn't as clear as a meow or neigh? I will try clarifying then using a good ol' sallys shampoo and conditioner i have used to years, even though it has cones and sulfates, then i will use my mousse (yeah i know i'm hung up on it, maybe i should loook into another one...) and air dry and try to wash every 2 days (i know i could go longer, but my hair is getting used to nearly daily washed so i have to wean it off that...) i shall fix this and listen to my hair, i vow not to overdo, it does not help at all

Hold on there! You recently clarified and although in my opinion you used far too much product afterward, your results right now are not bad. See how it goes before you start all over again.

The products you just tried may be great - used in more judicuous or reasonable amounts. You need to be more patient, in my opinion.

ETA: You did not learn "animal speak" overnight. This will take longer but it will be worth it.

Hollyfire3
February 11th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Hold on there! You recently clarified and although in my opinion you used far too much product afterward, your results right now are not bad. See how it goes before you start all over again.

The products you just tried may be great - used in more judicuous or reasonable amounts. You need to be more patient, in my opinion.

I think i need to be patient in my own opinion, but it is hard. How about this? For this whole week, i continue to use the shampoo and conditioner i just used with my mousse and do not change anything? Even if i hate the results at first, i need to learn to give somethign a chance. If this does not work, i wll change one thing (not sure what yet) and go from there, but this could work if i just give it a chance...although the conditioner was cone heavy and the shampoo had sulfates, if need be i will clarify in a few weeks if i do get build up.

ktani
February 11th, 2012, 11:37 AM
I think i need to be patient in my own opinion, but it is hard. How about this? For this whole week, i continue to use the shampoo and conditioner i just used with my mousse and do not change anything? Even if i hate the results at first, i need to learn to give somethign a chance. If this does not work, i wll change one thing (not sure what yet) and go from there, but this could work if i just give it a chance...although the conditioner was cone heavy and the shampoo had sulfates, if need be i will clarify in a few weeks if i do get build up.

Sounds like a plan and next wash - use less product. If you get the signs of build-up - difficult hair to handle period - change products before clarifying again so soon - or one product.

And it makes 0 difference if the conditioner is cone heavy - unless it builds-up faster than a non cone one - and even then silicone may not be the cause.

Do not be a slave to misconceptions. Non cone conditioners build-up too.

Hollyfire3
February 11th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Sounds like a plan and next wash - use less product. If you get the signs of build-up - difficult hair to handle period - change products before clarifying again so soon - or one product.

And it makes 0 difference if the conditioner is cone heavy - unless it builds-up faster than a non cone one - and even then silicone may not be the cause.

Do not be a slave to misconceptions. Non cone conditioners build-up too.

I have never had problems with cones before and have never had flat hair because of them (actually have never had flat hair period until these days) so i see no reason to stop, thank you for telling me all conditioners build up, i thought coney ones were worse.

ktani
February 11th, 2012, 01:29 PM
I have never had problems with cones before and have never had flat hair because of them (actually have never had flat hair period until these days) so i see no reason to stop, thank you for telling me all conditioners build up, i thought coney ones were worse.

You are very welcome, and yes all conditioners and styling aids build-up. So do conditioning shampoos and even some that are not conditioning. It depends on what is in them.

Hollyfire3
February 11th, 2012, 03:24 PM
You are very welcome, and yes all conditioners and styling aids build-up. So do conditioning shampoos and even some that are not conditioning. It depends on what is in them.

I didn't know everything built up, i thought shampoo made it all come out, thanks i really need to watch what i use.

ktani
February 11th, 2012, 03:39 PM
I didn't know everything built up, i thought shampoo made it all come out, thanks i really need to watch what i use.

Just about, lol