PDA

View Full Version : Post First Year Anniversary and First Hair Bun!

rowie
February 10th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Good afternoon everyone! I was going to post my 1 year anniversary with TLHC last month, but I was super busy.

and now for my 1 year recap pic (I wanted to link my pictures to my profile so only TLHC members can view them):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9757&pictureid=126121

Short Recap of my year:

Thanks to this community I have learned so much in such a short time! I never thought how much change I am constantly experiencing with growing out my hair for the very first time in my life. As a male, I'm starting to feel like the "minority" of long haired men, even though I do not consider myself "long haired" yet.

Moments I had this year:
-First ponytail.

-High two pigtails (my avatar), I do not like how it feels. Now I know what little girls feel like when their moms do this to them. Shame on you mommies for doing this to little girls (I know it is a cute style for them), but this hairstyle feels uncomfortable and gave me a headache within 2 hours, and I finally realized why my little niece was crying after her mom did this hairstyle to her.

-I now cannot just lay my back on the sofa because my hair gets pulled back, so I have to sit a certain way now. Sitting with a ponytail is uncomfortable to me, so I end up sitting without laying my back on the sofa. :couch:

-little black metal clippy, almost triangular barrets (like the ones girls use in gymnastics) have been my friend in clipping loose hair on both sides of my head.

I finally encountered another milestone yesterday, THE HAIR BUN!:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=9757&pictureid=126120

My first bun:joy:. I never understood what the whole big deal was with the bun, until yesterday!:happydance: It felt so good not to feel my hair on my shoulders, and to me it felt like it made my head feel "airy"! It feels like it is less damaging to my hair. Now I can finally join the "wear your hair up for a month thread." Yeah right! I don't know if I could get away with wearing my hair like this in public.:bigtongue: hehehehe But I sure will wear a bun from now at home. I'm also wondering about buying a hair claw for at home, is this worth investing in? Hmmm I wonder when i'll be able to try the infamous "Sock Bun" you LHCers seem to talk about a lot at one point.

What length do all of you think I will be able to do the LHC infamous "Sock Bun"? BSL? Waist? Or better yet what length produces really good clean sock bun without loose hair sticking out?

Thank you everyone in advance for visiting and any tips you can offer:blossom:, and hugs:grouphug: to all my THLC friends!

Avital88
February 10th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Great growth, what is your goallength?

rowie
February 10th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I don't have a particular growth length goal at this point. I'm just curious to see how long I can grow my hair. It is amazing what women go through with long hair, and I'm starting to experience them.

joflakes
February 10th, 2012, 02:52 PM
I'm a bit jealous of your hair. Well done!

rowie
February 10th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Thanks. It took me awhile to appreciate my natural coarse wavy hair. I definitely admire lots of hair here in TLHC.

goldenmoments
February 10th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Wow, your hair grew so fast. And Congrats on your first bun. Your list of firsts makes me want to go try some new stuff with my hair

rowie
February 10th, 2012, 04:08 PM
thanks! Definitely try the little metal bendable clips. I can't tell you how it helps clipping any loose hair when I want a sleek look when doing a ponytail. I

New things I've tried this year:
-Tangle Teezer, Love it! Thanks to the tangle teezer thread we had about a month ago.
- Tresseme "Touchable Softness," and "Breakage Defense."
- I used to avoid cones, but thanks to members like "luxepiggy", I've ventured out and tried "Biosilk."

jacqueline101
February 10th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Your hair is beautiful and keep up the good efforts.

sarah061
February 10th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Woah, is it just me or is that incredible growth for one year!? It got so long!! Congrats :cheese: Love the bun, that must feel amazing to finally be able to do!!

blondie9912
February 11th, 2012, 12:31 AM
AWESOME growth for just one year! Congrats :)

Cara Heather
February 11th, 2012, 01:09 AM
congrats :)

hanne jensen
February 11th, 2012, 02:50 AM
Really great growth for only one year! Your hair looks like it's in really great condition. Congratulations!

pink.sara
February 11th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Haha, I wasn't expecting bald to that much hair in one year! Great growth :)

mzBANGBANG
February 11th, 2012, 07:52 AM
What length do all of you think I will be able to do the LHC infamous "Sock Bun"? BSL? Waist? Or better yet what length produces really good clean sock bun without loose hair sticking out?

I have BSL hair and have more than enough hair for a sock/donut bun! I put mine on differently though, I'll have to share my instructions :) http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Donut-Bun I use a second elastic to wrap my hair around the donut, then tuck ends with bobby pins. You might even be able to get a smaller one using thi s method, but it might be messy at first.

Have you learned any new braids?

racrane
February 11th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Great hair growth and beautiful hair! Congrats on a year. :)