PDA

View Full Version : Forum banner

unknown
February 10th, 2012, 08:19 AM
I just noticed it,
There is a banner with the text "Hair videos" and a picture of a woman with hair down to her ankles in a ponytail and the text "before shave". Then there is a second picture with her head shaved and the ponytail in her hand stating "after shave".
Kind of creepy and ironic that we have it on this forum...

Aeris
February 10th, 2012, 02:01 PM
The ad-banners are generated from any recent search terms you have had on your computer, and your computer's history. For instance, the last few I've gotten have all been from eHarmony (of which I am a member and visit daily). So it's not the site being creepy, don't worry :)

Chromis
February 10th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Ew, that's even worse than when I browse from my tablet. No adblock there and Every. Single. Banner. Ad. is for Cougar Life. I'm not even on any dating sites and mostly only search for recipes and knitting patterns from it.

littleizz
February 10th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Ew, that's even worse than when I browse from my tablet. No adblock there and Every. Single. Banner. Ad. is for Cougar Life. I'm not even on any dating sites and mostly only search for recipes and knitting patterns from it.OHMYGOSH thank you... I get the cougar life ones all the time... I was certain my phone just thought I was a manperv :suspect:

Cara Heather
February 10th, 2012, 02:43 PM
kinda funny... I get weird ads on facebook.. here I just get shampoos and conditioner ads

moon2dove
February 10th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Best Hair Loss Treatment?.......
Grey Hair Formula Now........
Hey Mum, Want To Look.........

^^^These are on the banner at the moment!

I have been looking at Boots site!

I do find these adbanners annoying sometimes.

Keller1128
February 10th, 2012, 03:39 PM
What banners? Opera AdBlock FTW.

Chromis
February 10th, 2012, 03:42 PM
OHMYGOSH thank you... I get the cougar life ones all the time... I was certain my phone just thought I was a manperv :suspect:

It drives me nuts since it really is the *only* ad I get now. I used to get the hair loss ones and such too, which at least sort of make sense for a bot to pick up on even if our hair is growing just fine. I mean, at least it is hair-related. I used to get knitting ones too and it seems looking up recipes will get you weight loss. I don't know what gets you branded as wanting to be a cougar. I'm not sure I'm even old enough for that matter, since I thought you needed to be old enough to have have a kid of your own of the age you were dating to qualify and I'm not young enough to be one of the guys they are targeting.

I'd not be irked by it except the lines they use are soooooo sleazy and trashy! Not to mention sexist in both directions.

Chromis
February 10th, 2012, 03:43 PM

I love AdBlock on my regular computers, but I've really given up on looking at this and many other sites when I can't use it. This isn't the worst by far, but the ads themselves are obnoxious.

longhairedlady
February 10th, 2012, 03:44 PM
I dont have any ads on mine?

Vanille_
February 10th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Sidenote: Why does the author of this post say unknown?

Beatnik Guy
February 10th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Yes, I emailed the mods about that "hair videos" ad. :puke:
(Not sure if there are any admin settings that can "filter" ads at all).

ETA: "unknown" is the OP's username. :)

pepperminttea
February 10th, 2012, 03:52 PM

Ditto, except for Firefox. :D When I go on another computer and there's ads everywhere, it seems really odd now.

I think it's just their username...?

Vanille_
February 10th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I think it's just their username...?

Wow. Why didn't I think of that?

unknown
February 10th, 2012, 04:51 PM

Hahah, I couldn't find a name that wasn't taken already so I decided to go for the name unknown :D

FrozenBritannia
February 10th, 2012, 04:53 PM
The ad on top for me is one about shoppers optimum points! :D

unknown
February 10th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I keep getting the creepy one with the shaved off hair and tons of dating sites...

jacqueline101
February 10th, 2012, 05:23 PM
My phone doesn't have ads but when I'm on my lap top I get them by the truck loads.

ouseljay
February 10th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I've been getting personalized M&Ms and flowers lately. That hair cutting one sounds... weird and creepy. If I recall correctly, ad views actually do generate some of the money to keep the forum open.

Cara Heather
February 10th, 2012, 07:32 PM
I love the name unknown . Funny, I just met nobody as well! lol
At the moment I have a progressive insurance ad.

Euphoria.Dame
February 10th, 2012, 08:54 PM
I get Cougar Life ads too, for some reason, but I still think the OP's banner is creepier. What in the world...

KwaveT
February 10th, 2012, 09:30 PM
The last couple times I got bombarded with ads on different sites was after shopping handbags I get hit will all these different sites selling them. It happen again after shopping for shoes for a while. I get bombarded with those ads. It may take a few weeks for them to go away permanently after you stop visiting those sites.

cheetahfast
February 11th, 2012, 06:37 AM
I saw that banner last night. It was before I saw this thread.

I thought it was creepy and strange to see it here.

Aliantha
February 11th, 2012, 07:07 AM
When I first joined the forum, I didn't see banner ads. Now I do...I wonder what changed...

Aliantha
February 11th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Duh - I just remembered that I'd reinstalled my anti-virus program, and it defaulted to no banner ad blocking. Checked a box, and they're gone!

GRU
February 11th, 2012, 12:46 PM
AdSweep extension in Google Chrome = no ads for me!

AutoPager extension in Google Chrome = no more clicking to see the "next" page at the bottom of a thread for me!

Google Chrome = :D me!

EdG
February 11th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I normally keep Javascript turned off so I don't see ads.

I turned it on just to check. I got shampoo ads, skin care ads, and salon ads.
Ed

StPaulaGirl
February 11th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Cougar Life? :bigeyes:

*goes to Google it*

Edit: Ohhhhhhhhhh.....

Edit2: I have adblocker installed so I don't see any ads.

EdG
February 11th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I Googled "Cougar Life" too.

:bigeyes:

Ed

FrozenBritannia
February 11th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Its no no painless hair removal today! And some kind of spice something, it looks like perfume maybe.

swearnsue
February 11th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I get Papa John's Pizza, different moraccan hair oil ads, and right now I have a John Deere ad for a small tractor. Funny. No cougars though.

MissHair
February 11th, 2012, 03:30 PM
I only get text-ads, no pictures.

GRU
February 11th, 2012, 05:45 PM
I Googled "Cougar Life" too.

:bigeyes:

Ed

I gave in and did it just now.

Wow, I wish I could say I'm surprised it exists.... but there's a niche for EVERYthing these days, it seems....

Amber_Maiden
February 11th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Weird... I keep getting Scotiabak (which I really don't care about/am not part of/have never Googled). and travel sites...

Amarante
February 11th, 2012, 07:56 PM
I get the Cougar Life one a lot too... O.o

I mostly get shampoo adds, but then the random CL gets thrown in there to keep it interesting I guess. :/

EdG
February 12th, 2012, 09:01 AM
I gave in and did it just now.

Wow, I wish I could say I'm surprised it exists.... but there's a niche for EVERYthing these days, it seems....I wonder if they have any customers. :ponder:
Ed

GRU
February 12th, 2012, 01:40 PM
I wonder if they have any customers. :ponder:
Ed

Sex has always sold.... so I'm guessing business is good for them! :shrug:

SwordWomanRiona
February 12th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Oh, I HATE ad banners!!!!!!!!!!! I get some hair ads, or travel ads, but lately a lot of patriarchal dating ads! :rant::rant: It drives me nuts!! Oh, and fashion ads, with outrageously high high-heels!!!! :rant:(Maybe because I've recently made a feminist study against them??)

They will have thought that's the best way to bother a feminist, I suppose!:rant:

I try not to look at them!!

Rowan1980
February 12th, 2012, 02:21 PM
I normally keep Javascript turned off so I don't see ads.
Ed

This. I <3 my NoScript.

annamoonfairy
February 12th, 2012, 02:22 PM
People sell their hair it may be what she did.

Sushi144
February 13th, 2012, 03:30 PM
I always have ads for ethnic date sites... XD And sometimes hair products or hairtoys.

Kira94
February 13th, 2012, 05:02 PM
I get hair straightener ads, color oops ads, jewelery ads, and creepy ads about "dating in your neighborhead" with pictures of guys.
I can kind of understand the hair related ones. But I don't get the jewelery or guy ones. I'm not on any dating sites and don't recall looking anything up related to guys or jewelery. :confused:

edit: Now I got a weight watchers one, and a yahoo ad. They seem pretty random.

cheetahfast
February 13th, 2012, 05:13 PM
edit: Now I got a weight watchers one, and a yahoo ad. They seem pretty random.

Yeah, same here. I get LUSH ones lately.

I'm not too into their stuff so it's weird. Plus I remember they used to be anti-advertising so that is strange to me as well.

airmid
February 13th, 2012, 06:18 PM
I also get the dating sites, specifically Chinese women. Always wondered what was up with that! I don't Google stuff like that... the ones that talk about hair and herbs, those I understand!

Kira94
February 13th, 2012, 07:08 PM
I get the Chinese woman dating sites too! Right now I've just got a match.com ad.
I really don't get it, I've never even googled a dating site! :confused:

SwordWomanRiona
February 14th, 2012, 03:09 AM
Yesterday I downloaded a block-ads program and got rid of the banners!!!!! Yay!!!! :cheese: Good riddance!

Avital88
February 14th, 2012, 03:52 AM
ahahaha i all the time get this RussianBrides dating site stuff

Tisiloves
March 4th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Asian and Black women here. Also GHDs.