PDA

View Full Version : Hair Elastics - Need Help

Artsygirl71
February 10th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Hi there
I am hoping any of you can help me out. I am currently using the scrunchii brand hair elastics (for thick hair) & the regular scrunchii elastics. (They are the no damage cloth covered). Neither of them give me a secure pony tail. The elastic for thick hair will stretch enough to circle my pony 3 times, but the material is not strong enough - my pony just sags. The regular elastic has stronger thicker material, but I can only wrap my pony twice.....it sags. I tried to circle 3 times but it just won't stretch enough....I end up busting it.
I just recently measured the circumference of my pony. I took a fabric tape measure and went around it (that is the right way to do it right?) It measured 5 1/4 in. Does anyone know of a brand that makes fabric elastics for thick hair?
Any info would be appreciated
Thanks!

HelloKitteh
February 10th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Hi there
I am hoping any of you can help me out. I am currently using the scrunchii brand hair elastics (for thick hair) & the regular scrunchii elastics. (They are the no damage cloth covered). Neither of them give me a secure pony tail. The elastic for thick hair will stretch enough to circle my pony 3 times, but the material is not strong enough - my pony just sags. The regular elastic has stronger thicker material, but I can only wrap my pony twice.....it sags. I tried to circle 3 times but it just won't stretch enough....I end up busting it.
I just recently measured the circumference of my pony. I took a fabric tape measure and went around it (that is the right way to do it right?) It measured 5 1/4 in. Does anyone know of a brand that makes fabric elastics for thick hair?
Any info would be appreciated
Thanks!
Large barrettes could be a better option, hair won't move and the barrette will stay put.
http://www.stone-bridge.co.uk/ekmps/shops/stonebridge/images/coast-extra-large-barrette-%5B3%5D-3499-p.jpg
http://www.stone-bridge.co.uk/coast-extra-large-barrette-3499-p.asp

I'm sure you can find that kind anywhere in the world. Some look better than the one I showed, but avoid too heavy full silver ones if your hair is slippery.

For elastics, I leave it to other posters with thick hair :-)

Amber_Maiden
February 10th, 2012, 08:45 AM
I used to use Goody elastics.

SpinDance
February 10th, 2012, 08:51 AM
I believe others have reported that putting a ribbon underneath where the elastic will go helps it to hold and also helps protect the hair from the elastic. A Flexi-8 can also be a nice alternative (www.flexi8.com or http://www.lillarose.biz/). I basically don't pony tail any more, since I learned to make secure buns through the hair style section of the Articles here.

lapushka
February 10th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Clipping a barrette underneath the pony (in the hair underneath the pony) to help keep it from sagging might help. I used to try that option whenever I had the same problem, but truth be told: it's not going to help *that* much, and it's not comfortable.

Using a barrette instead of an elastic might be better, as HelloKitteh mentioned, but finding a barrette that is large enough to fit all your hair, or that fits just right, will be a challenge. The regular big ones just aren't big enough and if you do happen to find a bigger one, it might be too big depending on your circumference (mine is 4.25). It has to be a snug fit or it will sag as well.

Angel_099
February 10th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Maybe try making your own with old pantyhose or tights? You just start near the bottom and cut strips however thick you want them. The edges just roll up on their own and they make wonderful hair-friendly elastics. You can make a ton of them too! I learned this trick a while back on the LHC. :)

lunalocks
February 10th, 2012, 11:36 AM
tying your pony with a velvet ribbon might work. the velvet seems to stick to itself and not slip so easily.

Do be careful to not continually tighten your scrunchie or elastic when it gets loose. Much better to take it out and put it in again. Outside hairs will break off if the pony is constantly tightened, for instance, during exercise, when it slips easily. I learned the hard way.

Artsygirl71
February 10th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions :). I will definately try the panty hose trick

door72067
February 10th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Maybe try making your own with old pantyhose or tights? You just start near the bottom and cut strips however thick you want them. The edges just roll up on their own and they make wonderful hair-friendly elastics. You can make a ton of them too! I learned this trick a while back on the LHC. :)

these are my fav elastics

the wider cuts near the waist band make great headbands, as well

luxepiggy
February 10th, 2012, 04:26 PM
I really like the Goody Stay Put / Slide Proof elastics! I was skeptical at first, but they really do stay put! I have incredibly slippery hair and had previously given up on ponytails because of the sagging you mentioned. Now I can use a single elastic to secure a ponytail for several hours without constantly tugging at it (^(oo)^)v

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=206744&catid=183396&aid=337953&aparam=goody_stayput_elastics_&CAWELAID=258550496

rowie
February 10th, 2012, 04:36 PM
I definitely use the goody line, including the silicone version for my thick coarse wavy hair. With the goody line I don't ever tug or tighten my ponytail. Thanks to Anje's advice of "never separate hair to tighten a ponytail" that I've noticed little to no breakage at all.

jacqueline101
February 10th, 2012, 05:34 PM
I have the same issues and I used an octopus clip and started doing a side do pony tail with ends tucked under and octopus clip holding them.