PDA

View Full Version : How to bring out reddish tones in hair?

lillikins
February 10th, 2012, 07:08 AM
My hair is a rather odd shade that I guess could be classified as reddish-brown. I'd like to bring the red tones out a little more if I can, but I'm not sure how. I remember reading (and I think it was here on LHC) that rinsing with Apple Cider Vinegar can help with that.

Does anyone know any other tricks for bringing out the redder shades in your hair?

Amber_Maiden
February 10th, 2012, 07:25 AM
ACV does help. So does rinsing with Rooibos tea.

LadyCelestina
February 10th, 2012, 07:29 AM
ACV does help. So does rinsing with Rooibos tea.

And so do rinses with any red or berry coloured fluid :).Or maybe try a light henna gloss?

maborosi
February 10th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Henna for sure. (Just a henna gloss, or cut with cassia, but cassia colors a golden yellow) It'll especially show up in natural light.

I've also heard that hibiscus powder can bring out red tones? But I'm not 100% sure about this.

~maborosi~

natural_shine
February 10th, 2012, 07:52 AM
I don't know hopw to say in english... buy a red nuancer ... it's temporarry red dye... the red dye will come off your hair in a month or so, but the red reflexes will remain. It's the perfect solution, I did it few years ago. Works perfect with zero damage.
... if you want red hair for a month. It will also colour your pillows.

Henna can do some bad damage, and the colour might fade into a yellow-ish one... I wouldn't go for henna!

Avital88
February 10th, 2012, 08:12 AM
I don't know hopw to say in english... buy a red nuancer ... it's temporarry red dye... the red dye will come off your hair in a month or so, but the red reflexes will remain. It's the perfect solution, I did it few years ago. Works perfect with zero damage.
... if you want red hair for a month. It will also colour your pillows.

Henna can do some bad damage, and the colour might fade into a yellow-ish one... I wouldn't go for henna!

i never heard of henna being damaging:confused: temporary red dye sounds more damaging to me..

i think a henna gloss would do most for you if you really like to bring out the red tones

Neneka
February 10th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Mixing deposit only dye with conditioner could do that. :) I know some people who keep brassiness away from their blond hair by mixing violet dye to the conditioner they normally use (instead of using violet shampoo). Apparently it's working so mixing some red dye to conditioner would give some red tint (I don't know the exact ratios but I would start adding just a little dye to the conditioner). For example Manic Panid and Directions have a wide selection of different reds. :)

EDIT. These deposit only dyes do not damage the hair. They have no ammonia or developers in them. Here is a thread about deposit only dyes: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=72129

Masara
February 10th, 2012, 11:28 AM
I suppose I would call my hair reddish brown too. I use henna/cassia mixes and henna glosses to accentuate the red tones without going to far from my original colour.

spidermom
February 10th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Apple cider vinegar does it for me, or did. I haven't used it in probably 10 years.

jesis
February 10th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Tea rinses brought out the red in my hair, but it was something I had to do often.

Kira94
February 10th, 2012, 11:47 AM
I've been wondering the same thing, only I don't want to use henna because I don't want to lose my waves/wurls. Maybe I'll try a couple of these ideas. :)

Eboshi
February 10th, 2012, 12:23 PM
I've found that CO washing the length has brought out the red tones in my hair and kept it moisturized as well.

Mountaingrrl
February 10th, 2012, 12:47 PM
You could try a color conditioner, too. The Aveda ones have worked for me in the past, and the annatto one sounds like the color you're after.

natural_shine
February 11th, 2012, 03:54 AM
i never heard of henna being damaging:confused: temporary red dye sounds more damaging to me..

i think a henna gloss would do most for you if you really like to bring out the red tones

temporary hair dye is very easy to the hair, far from normal dye... it's like a soft shampoo with the hair, in no way it damages it. There is no risk at all.

Henna - well, if it doesn't damage the hair, the colour will get yellow-ish at some moment... the pigment penetrates the hair.

the pigment in the temporary hair dye doesn't penetrate the hair. After it's all washed off, just few lovely reflexes remain,not a strong definite colour, with no risk of getting yellow.

I've seen a lot of henna damage... henna is not always the holy grail of hair solitions. It can fade into an unwanted colour, it can dry the hair, it can cause a lot of split "blonde" ends... not that safe.

Shesta
February 11th, 2012, 04:46 AM
ACV and the use of cone-free stuff does the trick for me.