PDA

View Full Version : What hair supplies to bring on vacation?

MeMyselfandI
July 18th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I will be traveling for two weeks, by air and car. Staying at hotel, visiting and some ocean play.

Usually I just bring some L'oreal kids shampoo and that is it.

Since I damaged my hair, and now henna. Some of the shampoos do not work as well, I use a white vinegar rinse, I use coconut oil a couple of days after hennaing. SMT etc.

Now I am limited on what I can bring on board a flight less then 3 oz (88ml) bottles/containers what ever fits in a one litre (quart) sized baggie.

I think anything put in checked bags may freeze or whatever.

So what do you all do away from home?

I read one post so I thought I will bring some shea butter, instead of the coconut oil. I was planning on taking a small container of leave in conditioner and then just using on of the least bothersome kid's shampoo.

Islandgrrl
July 18th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Personally, I'd take a shampoo bar, a small bottle or two of rich conditioner (that you can dilute as needed) a little tin of shea butter and a ficcare. That would pretty much do me for a while. If you need vinegar and can't get it where you're going, fill a small plastic bottle with it and use sparingly and well diluted!

Chromis
July 18th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Shampoo bar, comb, BBB, a couple of little bands for braiding my hair at night and a turbie are what I normally take. I already have a Ficcare in my hair normally. I might also take some booby pins to put it into a coronet braid if I was planning on wearing one.

Lady Verity
July 18th, 2008, 01:37 PM
It's been too long since I've been away for sun and sea, but I usually just take my normal shampoo and nice conditioner. The sun and salt water do wonders for my blonde hair anyway, I just have trouble keeping suncream out of my bangs and chlorine making me go green.

truepeacenik
July 18th, 2008, 02:03 PM
I went on a job trial last week, using the oh so wonderful 3 oz rule.
Here's what I decided to take:
one poo bar sample
sample of jungle condish by Lush (see my blog for my "review" of this item)
that's it: no vinegar.
Lush has SLS, so I think it cleans off any poo bar/ hard water gunk.
I had shea/ olive oil as "Mad Gab's Elephant Lube" and I used that on the ends as oil.

For styling, I brought my travel wood comb, one Ficcarissimo, one wood Ketylo, a few no snag bands to braid at night and a turban towel.

My zip top bag held lip balm, the tin of Mad Gabs, a 3 oz bottle of mouthwash, Alba deodorant and my toothpaste. I discovered my inhaler had to go in it, too.

If I were going in a two week trip, assuming only one flight to the locale and one back, I'd think about having only toothpaste and buying at the location.
If your hair is good with sls, Lush makes detergent poo bars.

Curlsgirl
July 18th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I would take the small bottle of coconut oil, a small bottle of shampoo, and a small bottle of thick conditioner. When I get to where I am going I usually buy a bottle of cheap conditioner to use for COing in between like Vo5 Strawberries and cream. Then I don't feel bad if I have to leave it behind since it's so cheap anyway. Of course I take hairbands for braids and a few other hairtoys, an empty spray bottle to mix later and if I am going to wear my hair curly some gel or curl cream.

Stacy_E
July 18th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I don't bother trying to take my toiletries carry-on. I was gone for 2 weeks recently and packed into my checked bag a 15 oz. bottle of Suave conditioner for CO washing, as well as travel-sized bottles of shampoo and thick conditioner for the occasional CWC. I also bring a small plastic jar of aloe gel, and a small plastic jar of coconut oil (make sure they're leak-proof--I suggest Nalgene brand from your local outdoors store). None of this will freeze in your checked bag. I do put my 15oz conditioner bottle in a gallon-size zip-lock bag.