PDA

View Full Version : Feel like hair is a bit too "big" when I wear it out

julliams
February 10th, 2012, 01:06 AM
I love wearing my hair out because it's probably the most comfortable style for me however since my hair has gone past waist I'm feeling like it's a bit "big".

I know there are lots of people trying to get more volume but when you actually have it, sometimes you feel like a big walking head of hair. It almost feels like I'm being showy which is not intended.

I look at others with finer long hair, and to me, it's perfect. It sits closer to the head, doesn't fan out and take over the person's body. And then I will see people with very big hair and they absolutely rock it.

When I curl it with heated rollers it does look nice but it "bounces" alot! I feel like Shirley Temple. It's rather annoying to catch your reflection and see your curls dancing to their own beat as you are walking around. Again - feels showy.

So as a result I end up putting it up or rolling the sides and joining at the back which is ok but.....

Anyone in the same boat and have you come up with a solution?

woolyleprechaun
February 10th, 2012, 01:09 AM
I felt C/O took abot of the size off my hair, and weighing it down with a smear of very heavy oil like castor on the tips works well :)

oktobergoud
February 10th, 2012, 01:19 AM
Nooo I'm the other way around, my hair is no where big enough! :(

Man your hair sounds (and looks obviously ;)) awesome! I wish my hair would do that (when it's longer)!

I say: be proud of it and rock them bouncy curls! ;) Your hair is beautiful so why not show off? If I had your hair I'd be showing off 24/7, not going to lie :D

sweetestpoison
February 10th, 2012, 01:30 AM
Feel lucky!!! My hair felt like that until i had my stylist cut off all the damaged ends. I lost a few (2-3) inches.. even though the DBF said he could hardly tell the difference it feels SOOOO short to me now. Love your volume! Hair that's too flat will make your face look really long too. Long voluminous hair is a much more youthful look i think.

white.chocolate
February 10th, 2012, 01:33 AM
Sometimes I wish my hair were "big" enough, unlike mine which stays flat all the time. :)

Avital88
February 10th, 2012, 01:48 AM
be proud of your big hair girl!i bet it looks amazing on you

pink.sara
February 10th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Enjoy that big hair! It's beautiful. :)

I just got to the stage where the weight of my ponytail makes it swing when I walk, and sometimes i do feel like it looks like I'm deliberately swinging it about. But then I think who cares? At least it's pretty.

Nera
February 10th, 2012, 03:55 AM
My hair is big too and I love it!

Amber_Maiden
February 10th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Same boat. I have very thick hair. I wear it up these days because it's just easier. I used to, and still do, oil it a lot to weigh it down.

jacqueline101
February 10th, 2012, 07:17 AM
I'm starting to grow out my perm curls and I sort of miss the bounce and fullness so rock it and enjoy it.

Madora
February 10th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Well, my hair was big, back in the day:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6554&pictureid=87283

But as it was always in my way, I rarely wore it down and went back to my usual braid(s).

lacefrost
February 10th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Your hair is big and beautiful, embrace it. Some hair is naturally big, other hair is more sleek. I think it's best to embrace what you've got.

Whenever I wear my hair down it's BIG. BIG like I have another person walking around with me. I don't really mind it too much cause. . .well, that's just how my hair is.

You mention you feel like your hair is too "showy". Is it that you feel like people are gonna think you're a showoff?

Alibran
February 10th, 2012, 07:31 AM
This is the reason why I'm not sure if I'll grow mine long again. I'm currently considering that I *might* go as long as BSL, but cut into a very deep "U" shape so the volume towards the ends decreases instead of it just getting bigger and bigger.

I'm quite slim and only 5ft2, and I feel like my big hair swamps me when it's long. As you said, kind of like a walking head of hair.

Once it gets long enough - OK it's long enough now for tiny ones, but that isn't what I mean - I might try and get creative with some part loose, part braided styles, so it still looks like it's mostly loose but with a lot less volume.

Miss Maisie
February 10th, 2012, 08:17 AM
For me, the bigger the better. Don't feel bad about having awesome hair!! I guarantee that people see it and think, "I WISH my hair was like that." I know that's exactly what I'd think!

HelloKitteh
February 10th, 2012, 09:10 AM
I love wearing my hair out because it's probably the most comfortable style for me however since my hair has gone past waist I'm feeling like it's a bit "big".

You mention you feel like your hair is too "showy". Is it that you feel like people are gonna think you're a showoff?

Yeah, if that's the way you feel, don't!! You get 'good' attention from people - they'll sometimes even say something nice to you, and you will make their day by enjoying their comments :cheese:

Anyone in the same boat and have you come up with a solution?

Would you consider braiding a few small tight braids near the nape, (which would be hidden behind the mass of hair left!) and see if you lose a bit of volume? I'm considering this option for different reasons, but that might work for you too?

BrightEyes
February 10th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Your hair is gorgeous, so I say rock it:D

I would LOVE to have big hair. Mine is so fine and flat and I'm still trying to get used to not backcombing it to get volume at the crown.

lapushka
February 10th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Nothing wrong with showing off big bouncy curls. Nothing. Maybe try and get used to it? Your hair is far too lovely to hide! :D

elbow chic
February 10th, 2012, 09:26 AM
I say roll with it. I have big hair too.

Sometimes to take off some of the BOOF effect I'll braid the canopy and leave the underlayer loose. Gives the soft effect and comfiness of hair down, but isn't quite so, er, dramatic as having it all loose.

dwell_in_safety
February 10th, 2012, 10:36 AM
If properly cared for, long "big" hair is beautiful. If it seems showy at all, know that anyone who does stare is most likely enjoying the show. :) I wouldn't classify it as showy, though, just beautiful especially if it's taken care of.

I understand, though, because I have decently engulfing hair when it's long, too. Here's a picture from 3.5 years ago, long before LHC when I used to torture it which I am sure didn't help at all (for one thing it's pretty obvious it wanted to be wavier lol):
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm44/optimisticcynic2/08%208%2011/023.jpg

Edit:
Leaving picture as a link because it is apparently HUGE.

CurlyZ
February 10th, 2012, 10:47 AM
There is no such thing as too big hair! Go out and ROCK IT!!!!! :disco:

rachel809
February 10th, 2012, 10:54 AM
I have very thick "big" hair as well, and I also use hot rollers (I use the steam rollers by Caruso).

Maybe you are using curlers that are too small? I take the biggest rollers for my hair, and then put in bigger velcro ones to set, so I get more volume than curl. Then I brush it out. I find this really tames the "big" factor, and looks more natural, less hollywood movie star.

Hope that helps! :)

Mayflower
February 10th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I have thick hair and I wear it in a topknot at night to get it REALLY big! I love big hair, and if it comes to you naturally then there's nothing showy about it, wear it out with pride!

princessp
February 10th, 2012, 11:49 AM
I have big hair too, but the longer it gets the tamer it gets. So just grow it longer! :)

QMacrocarpa
February 10th, 2012, 11:50 AM
I find my loose hair rather big too. If I'm wearing it down, I generally put the top half back in a braid or barrette (somehow I don't care for half-ups), which tames the visual volume. I try not to produce a sort of Gene Simmons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gene_Simmons_-_Azkena_Rock_Festival_2010_6.jpg) effect this way though!

dementedkitten
February 10th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I just looked at your album(s) and left a couple of comments. You should be proud of your hair - it's gorgeous!... and like they say, "if you got it, flaunt it!" ;)

julliams
February 10th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I am coming across as a bit of a whiner aren't I? Sorry folks. The photos in my albums are all "good hair days" so I honestly don't go around looking like that all the time. Most of the time my hair is a little unkempt looking, a bit frizzy and big in a messy kind of way - unless it's up.

I guess I meant showy in the sense like I might be showing off - like hey check out my long big wavy hair - I don't know.

I think this is one of those "grass is greener" things. I think my hair would be better finer and maybe if I had finer hair I would be coveting other people's thickness.

The bouncy thing is annoying though. I think it probably does have something to do with the roller size. To be honest, I don't do it that much though anyways - I was just having a whinge.

Hollyfire3
February 10th, 2012, 01:54 PM
I feel the same way, enjoy it, i do, it makes me feel pretty to know i've got all that hair and besides, its not your fault your hair is beautiful!

Hollyfire3
February 10th, 2012, 01:55 PM
yes, i agree, i you've got it, then you must flaunt it... do not feel ashamed!

emelnd
February 10th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Yeah, just enjoy. I had my hair thinned out, but now I regret that.

herdaughter77
February 10th, 2012, 02:33 PM
aaaaah! You have beautiful hair, julliams!!
As to the large hair feeling, I share in that. I rarely wear it down when I go out, especially since I live in the city. I wore it down a couple times to a friend's house, but that was it. I just feel like I'm showing off or something. and i'm not! :O even when I wear it in a braid, I get ppl commenting when I walk by: "HER HAIR, OMG! IT'S SO LONG!!!! blah,blah,...."
It really gets on my nerves. :P

gracenotes
February 10th, 2012, 02:51 PM
I know what you mean, julliams! When I wear mine down, I feel like it just gets *everywhere* unless I clip back the front bits. I personally see it as my hair being overexcited about being worn loose :p