PDA

View Full Version : ends -___-

longcurlygirl<3
February 9th, 2012, 03:45 PM
So my ends have been acting wierd lately, I have done an acv and DT, putting my hair up more but I do not understand why they are so dry! Plus I have one strand knots and it's killing me. I want to trim my hair on my own but I do not know how. I am not approving of cutting but I am annoyed by my hair now. Help?:(

Hollyfire3
February 9th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Do your products contain lots of proteins? Maybe they are causing dry ends? Clarify, then follow with a very moisturizing DT, see if this helps. I do not know how to help with the one strand knots, maybe a 1/2 inch trim is in order?

longcurlygirl<3
February 9th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I do not really use protien although I did out the suave coconut conditioner as a leavein like a week ago? But I did this like 2 days aho, the washing w/ my shampoo bar [hennasooq, the honey one] then garnier fructis, then acv, and did a DT.

Hollyfire3
February 9th, 2012, 04:18 PM
maybe try a clarifying shampoo or shampoo bar? honey is a humectant and if it is cold where you are, it might be pulling moisture out of your hair. Do you have a moisturizing leave in that isn't the suave coconut, try that? Maybe the ACV rinse dried your hair out a bit, it can for some people.

planetqueenie
February 9th, 2012, 04:34 PM
sounds like you need a trim:) Soon I will make a video and put it on you tube to show anyone inerested how to trim their own hair. If your ends are feeling dry and stiff, even if there are no splits, a trim will help! Place a little oil on your ends and keep it in a bun. Your hair may be upset by the winter air?

planetqueenie
February 9th, 2012, 04:42 PM
maybe try a clarifying shampoo or shampoo bar? honey is a humectant and if it is cold where you are, it might be pulling moisture out of your hair. Do you have a moisturizing leave in that isn't the suave coconut, try that? Maybe the ACV rinse dried your hair out a bit, it can for some people.
ya, acv can make your hair feel 'stiff' if you use too much, or wash your hair too often,followed by the rinse of course. you should only use 1 tbls in 1 cup water, which you may need to double or triple for your long thick hair! But it sounds like you tried acv as a way to remedy the ends problem, right? With your curly hair, have you ever tried shea butter? Like, put some raw shea butter on your ends and then put it up in a bun to protect it. That's my best advice:D chagrin valley has whipped shea butter, and they ship realy fast.

Hollyfire3
February 9th, 2012, 04:44 PM
ya, acv can make your hair feel 'stiff' if you use too much, or wash your hair too often,followed by the rinse of course. you should only use 1 tbls in 1 cup water, which you may need to double or triple for your long thick hair! But it sounds like you tried acv as a way to remedy the ends problem, right? With your curly hair, have you ever tried shea butter? Like, put some raw shea butter on your ends and then put it up in a bun to protect it. That's my best advice:D chagrin valley has whipped shea butter, and they ship realy fast.

Good point, thicker hair does need more ACV to see any results, i often use triple the recomended amount for my hair without any problems, so the ACV may not be the problem.The shea butter suggestion sounds heavenly, i may have to try it also, best of hair luck!

jacqueline101
February 9th, 2012, 05:57 PM
The knot I'd use a spray in detangler and I'd soak your ends in oil.

longcurlygirl<3
February 10th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Thank you so much :) and I have my own whipped shea butter w/ grapeseed oil but I always forget to put it in my hair. Hmm, I haven't had a trim in almost 11 months, no do I s&d. If you can do a video it'd be really appreciated.

Anje
February 10th, 2012, 09:50 AM
I'd suggest clarifying before you consider cutting it, unless you feel you have lots of damage and/or need a trim to even the ends. Make sure it's not simply a problem of buildup.

I do tend to have problems with protein (especially that Suave coconut conditioner!) making my ends stiff and rough, but my hair's a bit extreme in its dislike of protein. I've also observed that I get many more one-stranded knots if I use silicones. I don't know if you're interested in altering your silicone use, but do consider it as one potential culprit. Curly hair is definitely another culprit with that problem, though.

longcurlygirl<3
February 10th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Oh i know curlies I have heard also suffer from single strand knots. I do not know what to do to prevent? Also, maybe it could be when I comb with a wide-tooth comb?

Anje
February 10th, 2012, 11:09 AM
I think wearing hair loose might increase single-stranded knots a bit, simply because the hair is free to loop back on itself for more time than if it were snugly bunned. But other than that, curls, and (for me, maybe not for everyone) silicone use, I don't really know what causes single-stranded knots. Blame mischievous little fairies for sneaking into your hair and tying them!

Shebelina
February 10th, 2012, 02:01 PM
The last inch and a half of my hair was really really dry about a month back, I was almost to the point of cutting it too. I thought my hair was very well moisturised, so I tried to add some protein to the mix as a last ditch attempt. My hair threw a fit, definitely not what it wanted.

It's fine now, I went back to the last routine that worked well, I think maybe I was changing too much too quickly. I also found my hair needed much more moisture than I was already giving it, I tried an SMT last week for the first time and my hair is better than ever, no cutting involved!

longcurlygirl<3
February 10th, 2012, 02:28 PM
I wear my hair out only on saturdays and probably once a month [2-3 max.] at school but end up tie it back by 1pm [I enter at 7;30] so that could be as well. I will try more moisture but I might at well get a good 3/4-1 inch off because my curls need it. I am hip now curlie, so i will still be somewhaat past waist