PDA

View Full Version : Ends driving me up the wall!

Cybelle
February 9th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I am a mere 3 inches away from my goal of hip but the last 2 and a half inches of my hair are bad. Once I get to hip I want to maintain until I have a blunt hemline. I'm still growing out remaining layers from a cut about 3 years ago. My question is should I cut and be happier with my ends or stick it out and cut it when i start maintaining?? Sometimes they look ok but recently they have been a lot more Velcro like and see through than before.

Hollyfire3
February 9th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Try some moisture or maybe check out the baby oil thread, this has helped many who are lookign to extend trims. As someone who just had to chop 3 inches because of damage, i say stick it out to your goal, you will get a feeling of acomlishment, i could have been at WL if it wasn't for past heat damage catching up to me, now i have to wait a few months JUST to get to BSL again...you could do the 2 week rule, sit on the idea for 2 weeks, then see how you feel about it.

Eboshi
February 9th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I grew out a heavily-layered style and I definitely sympathize. I found that setting up a trim schedule of every 8 months or so and then taking off one layer at a time was very helpful. Length was slowly gained and the hemline thickened up as well.

Have you tried clarifying the hair followed by a deep moisture treatment? Velcro hair on me signals a protein overload and/or buildup.

arcane
February 9th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Personally when the ends get so bad I rather err on the side of caution and cut them off before the damage travels farther up the shaft. I am planning on getting an actual hair cut this weekend because my ends are so bad, and because I of outside circumstances I was unable to care for my hair properly for about two weeks and the inch or so that was bad before that has grown to about 3-4 inches now. I have spent a week rehabbing my hair but I'm worried that it will easily happen again.

If you find it takes a long time for the damage to move up the shaft on your hair, then you could probably wait it out. I agree that the velcro ends could be a sign of a protein build up. After a clarifying wash you may find you don't need to trim it at all.

Unnamed
February 9th, 2012, 03:08 PM
My first thought is to clarify. Clarifying, moisture, a S&D session, or a protein treatment (roughly in that order, but I have hard water and my hair has issues with protein) *always* fixes any end-weirdness for me, especially anything on the dry, grabby, or stringy aspects. I've never trimmed for weird-feeling ends, only to even things up.

Regarding trimming, maybe do something in-between rather than focusing on either/or? Instead of either trimming 2-3" off now *or* waiting until it's 3" longer to maintain, you could trim off a full month's worth of growth every 2-3 months (or even half the growth every month, etc.--several smaller trims, but less than you've grown) until your hair reaches hip length. That way you're both still working toward your goal, but also slowly getting rid of the old layers/getting rid of the taper near the ends. You could also maintain where your hair currently is for a couple of months before continuing toward hip.

I'd still suggest clarifying first if you haven't, as that can make a huge difference in how things look/feel and it might change your decision.

Long_hair_bear
February 9th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Try baby oil on wet hair (only a few drops on the ends) or nightbloomings panacea on dry hair. Both are great moisturizers in an emergency.

jtsck
February 9th, 2012, 03:24 PM
I agree with the people who have suggested waiting. From the threads I have read, it always seems like the people who struggle the most with a trim did it implusively. Maybe indulge in a couple of really good treatments while you think about it? (Clarifying first to get rid of weird buildup first!)

jacqueline101
February 9th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Clarify trim a little like a fourth of an inch oil the ends wear it up and forget it.

Amber_Maiden
February 10th, 2012, 06:55 AM
My first thought is to clarify. Clarifying, moisture, a S&D session, or a protein treatment (roughly in that order, but I have hard water and my hair has issues with protein) *always* fixes any end-weirdness for me, especially anything on the dry, grabby, or stringy aspects. I've never trimmed for weird-feeling ends, only to even things up.

Regarding trimming, maybe do something in-between rather than focusing on either/or? Instead of either trimming 2-3" off now *or* waiting until it's 3" longer to maintain, you could trim off a full month's worth of growth every 2-3 months (or even half the growth every month, etc.--several smaller trims, but less than you've grown) until your hair reaches hip length. That way you're both still working toward your goal, but also slowly getting rid of the old layers/getting rid of the taper near the ends. You could also maintain where your hair currently is for a couple of months before continuing toward hip.

I'd still suggest clarifying first if you haven't, as that can make a huge difference in how things look/feel and it might change your decision.

I agree with this completely.

Avital88
February 10th, 2012, 06:58 AM
I would suggest microtrimming, babying your hair and wearing it u.. Dont do a big trim now, but i certainly would take off maybe 1/4 inch or half an inch just for a little improvement and to feel better about it.