PDA

View Full Version : Fine, bleached hair, splits uncontrollably - how can I wait it out?!

PeachyWavy
February 9th, 2012, 01:21 PM
My hair history is basically, my hair's dark blonde and for a few years it was highlighted fairly regularly. I loved my blonde hair, and I blow dried and flat ironed it every single day. I finally realised I was losing more length than I was gaining :o and swore off the bleach and flat irons, and turned to Henna/Indigo to give my hair a colour I loved, and make it a little stronger.

I'm yet to give up the blow dryer because I can't seem to get my hair to look presentable without it (despite my avatar, my hair very rarely turns out like that and it's just too inconsistant for me!). Basically, from my year long stint of flat irons, and several years of bleaching- the damage is quite long. It still splits horribly, nothing helps to alleviate that- although it's so much less than my flat iron days. :)

As to cones/cone free, I'm still very undecided. I'd love some advice as to how I can possibly wait out the growing out of this hair (I've calculated it'll probably take two years, probably more.) I'm not willing to cut off more than I grow, so I figure I'm aiming at a 'maintaining' sort of stage. I'm literally clutching at straws here, and I'd so appreciate some LHC wisdom!

Thanks everyone! :D

Amber_Maiden
February 9th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Honestly, if my hair was splitting THAT much from pervious damage- like bleaching, straight ironing, etc- I would cut it to where there was no damage. I just would. It would be the easiest and most straightforward way to making my hair healthy and growing it long.

spidermom
February 9th, 2012, 01:29 PM
I think the best methods are:
1) Don't allow yourself to check the length very often; once a month is enough. I used to check mine about 9 times a day, and I never-ever saw any progress. Well, no wonder! Once I limited myself to checking length once per month, I could see progress.
2) Learn an up-do. I liked the french twist at your length. Put your hair up as often as you possibly can. It protects the ends, and it keeps you from obsessing over the condition.
3) Get regular small trims. For example, 1/2 inch trim every 3 months. Stick to your schedule until the old damage is gone.

And of course continue the good care you will learn here at LHC.

And welcome (if I haven't already).

woolyleprechaun
February 9th, 2012, 01:31 PM
If you cant deal with losing the length (which I would reccomend. Damage travels up the shaft so its best to nip it in the bud) may I suggest what I did? I used to oil, wash, condition and braid my hair, and leave it in said braid for DAYS to protect it and stop me from messing with it or heat styling. I wear a sleep hat at night so it doesnt get too fuzzy :)

mzBANGBANG
February 9th, 2012, 01:33 PM
I have 3 inches of fine, bleached, damaged hair... my plan of getting rid of this is as follows:

- Monistat at the beginning of the month to improve growth.
- S&D twice weekly.
- Microtrim (and I mean micro!) twice a month. I am probably taking off half of what I grow in a month.

My ends should be fine by summer!

Madora
February 9th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Honestly, if my hair was splitting THAT much from pervious damage- like bleaching, straight ironing, etc- I would cut it to where there was no damage. I just would. It would be the easiest and most straightforward way to making my hair healthy and growing it long.

^^^ Amber_Maiden is right on target!

You've won half the battle by eradicating the damage in one fell swoop. Once your hair is damage free, you can concentrate on babying it and giving it periodic trims..and staying away from anything that might harm it (blow fryers, straighteners, etc.)

pink.sara
February 9th, 2012, 02:48 PM
As hard as it was I cut mine off to rid myself of damage. It went to an ear length bob with a shaved back so it was pretty scary short, but it only left about 3 inches of damage on the top and sides to lose. 18 months later even with slow growth and trims to lose that leftover damage it's past APL and super healthy.

Either that or learn to french plait and find an oil your hair likes! Henna is a great start to repairing it and restoring some strength also. Good luck.

pepperminttea
February 9th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Assuming you don't want to cut it all off (goodness knows I'm not that brave), you could try microtrimming and maintaining your current length - you'll gradually cut off the damage, without the trauma of a big chop. It isn't for the unpatient though! ;) There's a thread here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=75468).

If you haven't come across this article (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79) yet, it's well worth a read too. :)

If it was me, I'd stick with the 'cones for now, or use mostly 'cone-free with just a 'cone leave-in on the damaged parts, to help them behave, and the slip should help you avoid further damage during detangling. Also, ditto what Spidermom said; learn some updos. :) Your hair will be protected and out of sight, out of mind, as well as looking professional all the while. Youtube's a great resource for tutorials; try Habioku's (http://www.youtube.com/user/Habioku/videos). She's been making videos while growing, so if you've got shorter hair just go back a few months. :D