PDA

View Full Version : vidal sassoon boar bristle brushes

doctorvkp1
February 9th, 2012, 02:40 AM
i have ordered for vidal sassoon boar bristle brushes..... is this company good.... has anyone tried this.... and how do you use a boar bristle brush..... this is the first time that i am going to use a boar bristle brush..... pls help....

hairyfan21
February 9th, 2012, 08:59 AM
I only know that vidal sassoon is a very famous salon in NYC. I'm sure this brush is a good quality.

bedazzlecat
February 9th, 2012, 09:17 AM
I had one. It's actually a mix of bb's and plastic bristles. IME, they penetrate the hair nicely compared to natural bbb's, but do carry the potential for damage.

hairyfan21
February 9th, 2012, 09:24 AM
That's nice bedazzlecat. The brush works well for you, you have pretty nice and straight hair in your avatar.

Madora
February 9th, 2012, 09:46 AM
i have ordered for vidal sassoon boar bristle brushes..... is this company good.... has anyone tried this.... and how do you use a boar bristle brush..... this is the first time that i am going to use a boar bristle brush..... pls help....

I've been using a pure bbb for many years. Here's how I use it:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=229

If you have any question, please write! I think bbbs are wonderful!

hairyfan21
February 9th, 2012, 09:48 AM
That's a nice hairdo you have Madora. It must have taken you forever to do it. It looks very nice.

Madora
February 9th, 2012, 09:51 AM
That's a nice hairdo you have Madora. It must have taken you forever to do it. It looks very nice.

Thank you kindly, hairyfan. It's not really that hard to do...just a combination of two kinds of braids.

Miss Torrin Paige has recently featured this style in her hair tutorials over on You Tube.

hairyfan21
February 9th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Thank you kindly, hairyfan. It's not really that hard to do...just a combination of two kinds of braids.

Miss Torrin Paige has recently featured this style in her hair tutorials over on You Tube.

I'm the new guy here. Being a man, I obviously wasn't allowed to have long hair as a child. I hope I learn to braid while I still get to have long hair. Right now I go to college, and I'm not currently looking for a job. So its okay for me to be foolish and play around with long hair for these few years. But once I graduate and need to find a good job, I will cut my hair neat and short and keep it that way for my job interviews.

doctorvkp1
February 9th, 2012, 12:02 PM
that was a wonderful thread..... i am fully clear and satisfied..... thanks a lot madora.... and ofcourse ur hair is extremely beautiful..... love this kind of hair.... i shall post my hair progress pic... can you suggest if bbb would suit my hair....

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m494/doctorvkp1/2012-02-08220446.jpghttp://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m494/doctorvkp1/2012-02-08220250-1.jpg

can you see the photos.... and do you see that i have lot of small hairs pointing out in between braids.... how do i control this.... i always wanted a neat braid....

CastaDiva
February 9th, 2012, 12:10 PM
doctorvkp1, your hair looks absolutely stunning!!

Madora
February 9th, 2012, 12:28 PM
that was a wonderful thread..... i am fully clear and satisfied..... thanks a lot madora.... and ofcourse ur hair is extremely beautiful..... love this kind of hair.... i shall post my hair progress pic... can you suggest if bbb would suit my hair....

So glad I could help, doctorvkp1! Your hair is so beautiful, so thick, so healthy!

Those tiny hairs in your braid might be tamed with a tiny bit of coconut oil, if that appeals to you. That is the trouble with braids, they start out looking pristine, but as the day wears on, the shorter hairs tend to stick out.

Yes, I think a boar bristle brush would work very well with your beautiful mane! Happy brushing!

doctorvkp1
February 9th, 2012, 12:36 PM
oh yes! some times i do use coconut oil for braiding..... thank u for helping me..... i am not fixed with a hair care routine..... i just oil my hair and shampoo it.... can you share with us you hair care routine and suggest me a GOOD ONE TO GROW MY HAIR TO CLASSIC:)....

thanks a lot casta diva.....
:)

casta diva and madora..... i am so eager as of how your hair looks at present.... will you be able to post your recent hair pics.... if you please to do so.... i would be glad to see them.... it would be inspiring enough for me to grow my hair....:)

heidi w.
February 9th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Madora's info is quite reliable, but I want to emphasize that pre-detangling before BBBing is very important. A BBB in my opinion is a polishing of the hair tool, not a detangling of hair tool. IF you encounter a tangle WHILE BBBing, then work that out with fingers or a detangling comb, not with the BBB as this can result in damage if you detangle with a BBB.

heidi w.

casta diva and madora..... i am so eager as of how your hair looks at present.... will you be able to post your recent hair pics.... if you please to do so.... i would be glad to see them.... it would be inspiring enough for me to grow my hair....:)

Do you know how to look at profiles and view their albums? Have you had 101 posts? Until you reach 100 posts, you cannot view albums that people have.

heidi w.

Madora
February 9th, 2012, 12:51 PM
oh yes! some times i do use coconut oil for braiding..... thank u for helping me..... i am not fixed with a hair care routine..... i just oil my hair and shampoo it.... can you share with us you hair care routine and suggest me a GOOD ONE TO GROW MY HAIR TO CLASSIC:)....

Judging from your photographs, doctorvkp1, you're well on your way to having terrific hair.

My routine is very basic..."less is more".

I wash my hair once a month with George Michael Pink Creme Shampoo (the shampooing is divided into two parts: first shampoo is to remove the dirt from the surface of the hair. The second shampoo is to wash the scalp and scalp hair. Both times, the shampoo is diluted: one tablespoon of shampoo in 8 ounces of warm water.

The shampoo is rinsed out each time with warm water.

I'm now using just a tiny bit of Tresemme Naturals Conditioner with Aloe and Avocado - diluted in 8 oz of warm water.

It is poured over all the scalp and through the strands. While my hair is filled with conditioner, I fingercomb my strands, then gently detangle with a wide tooth comb, working from the ends of the strands up to the roots. I work in very small sections, and use my fingers to untangle any knots.

I rinse off the conditioner with warm water, and give my hair a final cold rinse.

My palms gently press out the excess water, then my hair is wrapped horizontally in a towel and the towel wrapped around my head. My air drying technique can be found in the Articles (see grey menu bar, above. Click on Hair styling)

After the hair has dried thoroughly I do an overnight EVOO treatment (Extra Virgin Olive Oil). I use a little less than 1/4th of a cup of Bertolli Olive Oil and apply it to my hair with my fingers. The hair is slightly damp but not dripping. Then I braid my hair in a high, loose braided bun on top of my head, then cover my entire head with 3 sheets of cling wrap. Next morning, the hair is shampooed again, followed by a conditioner.

I brush my hair 100 strokes every day with my boar bristle brush (no nylon, no rubber).

My hair is always worn up and braided, and I braid it in a loose bun on top of my head for sleep.

I do a little bit of S and D (Search and Destroy) on my ends every day, and trim every 4 months or so.

Hope this helps! ps. I've been using the Dr. George Michael Pink Creme shampoo for many years. Only available from his salons but so worth it!

doctorvkp1
February 9th, 2012, 03:23 PM
wow..... do you wash your hair once a month?????..... can we get this shampoo online..... i have not a conditioner till date... are you the madora mentioned in george michael saloon's home page.....http://madoralonghairheaven.com/madorahistory.html

Madora
February 9th, 2012, 03:38 PM
wow..... do you wash your hair once a month?????..... can we get this shampoo online..... i have not a conditioner till date... are you the madora mentioned in george michael saloon's home page.....http://madoralonghairheaven.com/madorahistory.html

No, I am not. That "Madora" is Maria Matarazzo, the owner of the George Michael salon in NYC. She knows everything there is to know about the George Michael system of beautiful long hair care.

The only place I know of that has the GM products on line is Enchantress in Illinois, which is a GM salon.

Yes, I only wash my hair once a month..but brush it 100 strokes every day with a clean bbb.

Enchantress site:

http://www.enchantress.com/ProductsGM.html

doctorvkp1
February 9th, 2012, 04:07 PM
oh! ok..... but anyway thanks a lot....... it was really so nice of you to explain things to me patiently........ my hair gets sticky if i dont wash it once in a week..... how do you make it to a month......

Madora
February 9th, 2012, 04:21 PM
oh! ok..... but anyway thanks a lot....... it was really so nice of you to explain things to me patiently........ my hair gets sticky if i dont wash it once in a week..... how do you make it to a month......

Stretching out my shampooing started because I dreaded washing my (then) very thick, fine hair because of tangling problems. It was a royal pain..and I kept putting it off, and putting it off. It took over 3 months, but I finally got to a point where I only needed to wash it once a month. Also, I stay indoors a great deal and because of medical issues usually keep a scarf on my head also. Naturally, that keeps my hair cleaner longer.

There's no harm in washing your hair once a week! It is too frequent washing that will eventually strip your hair of its natural oil and leave it looking like straw.

melusine963
February 10th, 2012, 10:42 AM
I've just started using a bbb since a friend of mine no longer wanted hers. So far I've been using it once a week on day five or six when my hair starts looking greasy (I wash my hair once a week). I find that brushing the oil down to the ends helps the hair near the scalp look less greasy and more presentable for an extra day.

heidi w.
February 10th, 2012, 11:04 AM
No, I am not. That "Madora" is Maria Matarazzo, the owner of the George Michael salon in NYC. She knows everything there is to know about the George Michael system of beautiful long hair care.

The only place I know of that has the GM products on line is Enchantress in Illinois, which is a GM salon.

Yes, I only wash my hair once a month..but brush it 100 strokes every day with a clean bbb.

Enchantress site:

http://www.enchantress.com/ProductsGM.html

The Madora salon in NYC also has an online presence, and also sells the products via online, as well.

Enchantress in Ohio, I think it is, also sells their products online.

So does the Beverly Hills, California salon.

When buying their products, it's very important to know HOW to use them and in what order. Things such as how long to leave on and stuff like that really matters. Some conditioner stuff, I think, requires the use of a low heat temp heat cap, too, if memory serves....but I'm not sure. So you may have to additionally telephone and inquire.

FYI: for anyone interested in making an appointment, the GM salons are unlike most others. You must make an appointment, and not be late or early, because there are lots of clients that are high profile people, and they try very hard to protect these clients from being seen or bothered. You cannot just show up and have an appointment. ALSO an appointment is basically around 2 hours long. In NYC, you have to be rung into the building the salon is in, and if you don't have an appointment, you won't be rung in, likely.

heidi w.

heidi w.
February 10th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Stretching out my shampooing started because I dreaded washing my (then) very thick, fine hair because of tangling problems. It was a royal pain..and I kept putting it off, and putting it off. It took over 3 months, but I finally got to a point where I only needed to wash it once a month. Also, I stay indoors a great deal and because of medical issues usually keep a scarf on my head also. Naturally, that keeps my hair cleaner longer.

There's no harm in washing your hair once a week! It is too frequent washing that will eventually strip your hair of its natural oil and leave it looking like straw.

Currently, it's winter, so my scalp skin condition is greatly tamed down so I can get away with 1.5 - 2 weeks before I wash my hair. I hear ya, Madora, on the headache of washing thick, long hair. My hair isn't near as thick as yours, but certainly in the winter it's a bit of a headache to wash the hair. Drying time takes almost twice as long, for one.

heidi w.

Knifegill
November 22nd, 2014, 11:50 PM
But the plastic bristles! How bad are they?!

Madora
November 23rd, 2014, 12:37 AM
But the plastic bristles! How bad are they?!

Bad! They will kill your hair. Have you ever seen those bristles under a microscope? Or hair that has been subject to nylon bristles? Oh, the humanity!

If you love your hair, steer clear of nylon bristles, and plastic ones as well. The boar bristle brush is the closest in nature to the human hair structure because it IS hair, the hair of ther wild boar, and meshes well with human hair.

I've been using bbs for more than 40 years, with splendid results. It all comes down to these factors:

1) Always detangle with a wide tooth comb BEFORE you put a brush to your head
2) Be sure your bbb is the right type for brushing. All bbbs are not created equal!
3) HOW you use your bbb makes all the difference in how your hair turns out.
4) BBBing is a question of quality over quantity..and of being consistent and brushing every day. You can't expect to have a beautiful, shiny, silky head of hair if you only brush sporadically, or when the spirit moves you!
5) It does not take that long to detangle your hair with a wide tooth comb and then brush it in the waist down position...slowly.
6) It does help if you do everything you can to protect your hair so you are not saddled with a lot of snarls/mats/tangles when you go to detangle and then brush it.
7) Being proactive in your hair care is e v e r y t h i n g!