PDA

View Full Version : Suuuuper angry ends... Help!

Darkessa
February 8th, 2012, 09:04 PM
So. Im doing the no trim thing and I have been for a while.
Ive been doing a slight dusting but only when I feel it really needs it.
I haven't used heat on my hair in... I don't even know how long.

I dusted my hair just a few days after the 14th of January because my ends were starting to get pretty angry, and usually this makes my ends happy for a while till I need to dust again.
Yes I use Hair Scissors specifically!

I've been doing deep treatments including a mixture with conditioner, olive oil, honey, and some kind of cholesterol mask.
I even did a deep olive oil treatment just yesterday, followed by a hydrating shampoo, then I oiled the ends with olive oil.

My ends are still just SO angry... I don't know what to do.
I don't want to cut anything off really, as I am super attached to my length.

What can I do?!?! I'm scared and worried!

PixxieStix
February 8th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Have you tried clarifying and then doing a deep treatment? There might be build up preventing the deep conditioning from doing a good enough job for your ends. I hope it gets fixed soon, that is no fun.

Vanille_
February 8th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Perhaps wear your hair up for a few month. You can still dust. But out of sight, out of mind. I've been fussing over my ends and wanting to even them out but I want length more. So I'm going to leave my hair up for a while.

Darkessa
February 8th, 2012, 09:10 PM
I washed my hair thoroughly last night and put some olive oil on my ends after... but they are still pretty pissed off.

I will update/edit the main post to add this info.

Darkessa
February 8th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Perhaps wear your hair up for a few month. You can still dust. But out of sight, out of mind. I've been fussing over my ends and wanting to even them out but I want length more. So I'm going to leave my hair up for a while.

I've thought of doing this....
I just have ALWAYS had an issue with having my hair up, I play with my hair constantly.
Plus I have many layers that make it difficult to keep up in an efficient up-do...

I might just have to give in and keep it up...

PixxieStix
February 8th, 2012, 09:18 PM
I've seen a few people around here mentioning baby oil doing amazing wonders for their seemingly hopeless ends, maybe look up a thread on that?

Darkessa
February 8th, 2012, 09:19 PM
I've seen a few people around here mentioning baby oil doing amazing wonders for their seemingly hopeless ends, maybe look up a thread on that?

That may be what I'll do right now!! Thank you!

styric
February 9th, 2012, 07:34 AM
How about panacea?

Otherwise it might not be moisture.. maybe your ends want protein? That's what mine wanted when they fried themselves and no amount of oil or moisture was helping. I clarified, got not better, then applied joico reconstructor to the ends for a few minutes then deep conditioned my whole head. Saved my ends from a trim!

bunzfan
February 9th, 2012, 07:39 AM
It seems your doing all the things i normally do, i do find a heavy oiling with coconut or evoo normally works wonders but, i can't stress enough how wearing my hair up mostly has improved the quality of my hair ...why not try just wearing it up a few times a week and see how you get on most people can do the lazy wrap bun at BSL with layers that's how i started out but my hair was much shorter than yours.

adiapalic
February 9th, 2012, 07:49 AM
By angry, do you mean velcro/sticky/stiff/tangly ends? Since you oil and condition regularly, I'm gonna second the possibility of build up.

I believe baking soda is the recommended product for clarifying hair and removing all that buildup.

I've found that conditioning frequently can lead to more build-up. Sometimes my ends benefit from a few mists of water while braided, and they get all soft and smooth again.

hairyfan21
February 9th, 2012, 07:53 AM
I'm sorry to hear about that. I'm a guy, so I don't have any advice on this, but I'm sure the nice ladies here can help you. :)

Madora
February 9th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Every time you put something on your hair, it leaves behind a tiny bit of residue (no matter how thoroughly you rinse) and over time it builds up, resulting in hair that is "angry".

I second the clarifying treatment..but done with a shampoo made for that purpose.

As several members have suggested, wearing your hair up is very beneficial for protecting your ends.

Here's a link to the Gibson Tuck:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=49

You also might want to consider using a silk pillowcase at night to protect those delicate ends.

Good luck!

Darkessa
February 9th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Every time you put something on your hair, it leaves behind a tiny bit of residue (no matter how thoroughly you rinse) and over time it builds up, resulting in hair that is "angry".

I second the clarifying treatment..but done with a shampoo made for that purpose.

As several members have suggested, wearing your hair up is very beneficial for protecting your ends.

Here's a link to the Gibson Tuck:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=49

You also might want to consider using a silk pillowcase at night to protect those delicate ends.
Good luck!

Ive tried that hairstyle and for some reason I just CANT get it to work for me... I usually can just cinnamon bun it and use a scrunchie to keep it up, not very pretty, but it gets the job done.

I also use a satin sleep cap at night... So yeah.

I will try baking soda clarification here in the next few days Im thinking.

ALSO
Ive been wanting to possibly rid myself of my hair dye... Color Oops seems to be a good option, but Im afraid it may be damaging...
Can someone give me some info on that before I go galavanting off to further anger my hair?

Amber_Maiden
February 9th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Ive tried that hairstyle and for some reason I just CANT get it to work for me... I usually can just cinnamon bun it and use a scrunchie to keep it up, not very pretty, but it gets the job done.

I also use a satin sleep cap at night... So yeah.

I will try baking soda clarification here in the next few days Im thinking.

ALSO
Ive been wanting to possibly rid myself of my hair dye... Color Oops seems to be a good option, but Im afraid it may be damaging...
Can someone give me some info on that before I go galavanting off to further anger my hair?

I'd definitely clarify with baking soda. That always helps my ends.

I would give your hair a break for a while... maybe a few months. I wouldn't use Colour Oops or dye my hair when my ends are acting like that.

jtsck
February 9th, 2012, 09:44 AM
My ends have done the "angry" thing for me when I have not made sure to protect them in a cinnabun. The scruncie I was using at the time was crinkling them up and drying them out. Maybe if when you do your bun you could tuck the ends more protectively into the bun to keep them from being exposed to the scruncie/environment.

I do agree with the above poster that I would wait to try any sort of color remover until after you sort out your ends. Other wise you might end up HAVING to cut them off and you don't want that.

Good luck and let us know if you and your ends get happy again!

Darkessa
February 9th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Well. I'm going to TRY my hardest to keep my hair up more often... No guarantees though...

And tonight I'm going to clarify with baking soda, do a vinegar rinse, then do an overnight leave in treatment.

Any suggestions for the overnighter?

SpinDance
February 9th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Some additional ideas for wearing your hair up are:
- French Braid, tucking the tail underneath it will protect them. Use hairpins (not bobby pins) or the Goody Spin Pins to hold the tucked tail in place.
- French Twist
- Double braids down the sides of your head, into either 2 braids or combined into a single one. There are options for putting up the ends either way so they don't rub and get damaged. The double braids can be French, Dutch or lace, or even a simple twist.

There are probably other options in the hair styles section in the articles.

I think you posted that you are using something with cholesterol in it. Is that protein? If you are putting protein on it every time you may be overloading on that.

Darkessa
February 9th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Some additional ideas for wearing your hair up are:
- French Braid, tucking the tail underneath it will protect them. Use hairpins (not bobby pins) or the Goody Spin Pins to hold the tucked tail in place.
- French Twist
- Double braids down the sides of your head, into either 2 braids or combined into a single one. There are options for putting up the ends either way so they don't rub and get damaged. The double braids can be French, Dutch or lace, or even a simple twist.

There are probably other options in the hair styles section in the articles.

I think you posted that you are using something with cholesterol in it. Is that protein? If you are putting protein on it every time you may be overloading on that.

I can do a french braid... I think I can braid it all the way down then bun it...

French twist is definitely an option.

Double french braids for some reason elude my skill. Every time I try, its like my hair laughs in my face. :mad:

Queen Helene Cholesterol Cream... I had to just look it up cause I tossed out the original tub.
I cant find the ingredients anywhere though, so Im not sure if there is any protein...

tegaroo
February 9th, 2012, 11:55 AM
I'm having a similar problem with my ends right now. I think I'm going to try wearing it up more often (with the ends tucked in some how instead of the lazy pony tail I've been doing) and definitely baking soda to clarify. I'll repost with my results later. Hope your hair behaves itself soon. I know the frustration of wanting to cut of the crunchy ends but not wanting to lose length!

ravenreed
February 9th, 2012, 12:07 PM
My ends get really angry when I use the wrong oil or use humectants on my hair. Olive oil makes my hair crunchy. You may need to try a different oil. Also try leaving out the honey for now. It is a humectant.

So. Im doing the no trim thing and I have been for a while.
Ive been doing a slight dusting but only when I feel it really needs it.
I haven't used heat on my hair in... I don't even know how long.

I dusted my hair just a few days after the 14th of January because my ends were starting to get pretty angry, and usually this makes my ends happy for a while till I need to dust again.
Yes I use Hair Scissors specifically!

I've been doing deep treatments including a mixture with conditioner, olive oil, honey, and some kind of cholesterol mask.
I even did a deep olive oil treatment just yesterday, followed by a hydrating shampoo, then I oiled the ends with olive oil.

My ends are still just SO angry... I don't know what to do.
I don't want to cut anything off really, as I am super attached to my length.

What can I do?!?! I'm scared and worried!

jacqueline101
February 9th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I'd say clarify and then dust trim and then oil.

Anje
February 9th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Like everyone else, I'd start with clarifying those ends.

If that doesn't work, I'm going to throw out the possibility of protein buildup. I struggle with it, and it makes my ends feel rough and grabby, as well as makes them kink and get rather breakage-prone in a non-stretching snappy sort of way. If that describes yours, do take a look at your ingredient lists and try a few moisture treatments (SMTs are my favorite) with exclusively protein-free products. For me, "normal" amounts of protein in my conditioner are sufficient to cause problems for me after a few washes. That's one of the first places I suggest you look.

ETA: No, cholesterol is not a protein. It's a "sterol" (you can see it in the name), which is a specific type of fat consisting of rings instead of simple hydrocarbon chains. Which isn't to say that it mightn't build up.

rachel809
February 9th, 2012, 01:49 PM
I can totally relate! I am having very similar issues with my ends, where whenever I look in the mirror all I see is white and frayed - I am so frustrated.

I tried baby oil the other night, but I am still new at oiling my hair so I am unsure of how to gauge the results. I am resisting S&D because my scissors are a bit dull, so I worry that this could have been the start for me (I know you mentioned you are using hair scissors).

I feel your pain and sending you happy hair vibes!

Darkessa
February 9th, 2012, 01:55 PM
I clarified with Baking Soda, then rinsed with a White Vinegar rinse.
My hair felt pretty good after that.

Then I put in my nice little deep conditioning treatment and I plan on leaving it in for... Well... I dont care how long. I will leave it in till tomorrow! :D

I will post the overall results after everything is rinsed and dry!
Wish me luck!

rakueru
February 9th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Yes, let us know how that works! And explain what you did with the baking soda, because I've never heard of it being used in hair. xP

Darkessa
February 9th, 2012, 03:03 PM
The baking soda can be used as clarification. Lots of people actually use it to replace shampoo!

This article explains clarifying, with a small explanation on Baking Soda
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=224

I personally put 3 tablespoons of baking soda in a pitcher and then fill to a certain line... I would say about 1 tablespoon to 2 cups of water would be my personal dilution.
Everyone does it a bit differently though. So play with it a bit and see what dilution works best for you!

Long_hair_bear
February 9th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Another idea is to put nightbloomings panacea on dry hair. It has worked pure wonders for me and smells great. :D

ravenreed
February 9th, 2012, 03:15 PM
If your ends feel worse tomorrow, it might be something in your treatment.

I clarified with Baking Soda, then rinsed with a White Vinegar rinse.
My hair felt pretty good after that.

Then I put in my nice little deep conditioning treatment and I plan on leaving it in for... Well... I dont care how long. I will leave it in till tomorrow! :D

I will post the overall results after everything is rinsed and dry!
Wish me luck!

SpinDance
February 9th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Darkessa, you say that you have trouble with double braids, but are OK doing French braids. It takes a bit of time to get used to doing them on the sides instead of in back, but it is in some ways easier. Practice once or twice an evening/day for a couple weeks and you'll be surprised how fast your hands 'get' it. Oh, and I suggest doing an off-center part for double braids. That way if you don't happen to make the braids in the same position on your head it looks intentional. ;) Once I started doing that I no longer have to redo one side because it doesn't match the other.

PixxieStix
February 10th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Glad to hear your ends felt much better after clarifying! :) Hopefully the results you got today after washing out the deep conditioner are what you were looking for.

Darkessa
February 10th, 2012, 09:15 AM
RESULTS!!!

After letting the mask sit on my hair for almost 12 hrs... :D

My ends feel pretty darn good!!!!! YAY! :magic:
I guess I just need to clarify more often! I am going to try to wear it up at least a bit more often...

THANK YOU everyone for all the suggestions! :blossom:

SpinDance
February 10th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Wonderful news! -does the Happy Dance-

Darkessa
February 10th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Wonderful news! -does the Happy Dance-

As odd as my happy dance is... Im LOVING imagining yours. Hehe!
Love me some happy dances!

B-L
February 10th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Awsome!!! :beercheer:

If you can't make regular Gibson to work for you then try this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKubj63ksC4

I found that this work much better for me!

Darkessa
February 10th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Awsome!!! :beercheer:

If you can't make regular Gibson to work for you then try this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKubj63ksC4

I found that this work much better for me!

First... Holy crap I love you...
This will be SO much easier!!!!!

Second... MARCELINE THE VAMPIRE QUEEN!!!
Every time I watch Adventure Time and see her hair... I cry a little cause I want it!!!!

I just love you all around right now. :P

jesis
February 10th, 2012, 11:09 AM
If you use honey in the winter, it's going to pull the moisture out of your hair and make your ends dry, tangly, and unmanageable, which in turn, leads to damage. I would recommend putting some oil in your hair pre-wash and after you shower while your hair is still wet. The oil will help seal in any moisture.

Clarifying usually helps when my ends act like this, too.