PDA

View Full Version : Humidity and hair type

BlueRose4217
July 18th, 2008, 08:35 AM
What is your hair type and what does humidity do to your hair?

Personally I am a 1a and humidity makes my hair go straighter. If I curl my hair and it is a humid day, the curl falls right out. I believe that if you have any curl or wave to your hair, that humidity will make it curlier or wavier. If your hair is stick straight - like mine - then humidity will make your hair lose any curl it might have. I just want to see if my theory holds true. Thanks for participating! :p

07/28/08 - I totalled the results and posted at the end of this thread. If anyone still wishes to participate, or to add any comments, please feel free! Thanks everyone for your responses! :)

morgwn
July 18th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Humidity for me = frizzy. I use a bit of oil in my hair on wet days and then it just stays nice and curly/wavy. :) But I do also have friends who have relatively straight hair and when their hair is humidified or dampened they seem to get some wave around their faces with the 'baby hairs' and then their hair will go very straight down their backs.

Belisama
July 18th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I'm a 1b/1c and humidity makes my hair frizz big time. All my shorter strands of new growth on top of my head crinkle and curl into corkscrews giving me a fuzzy halo. :rolleyes:

NurseMama
July 18th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I love going to New Orleans and Florida (basically all of the Gulf coast) because my hair becomes clumpy and spirals there like crazy. I wish that my hair looked like that all of the time!

Here in TX we have some humidity, but I just don't have the curls that I have in the extreme humid enviornment. I have waves, some frizz (I am working on that), and some spirals underneath.

AJoifulNoise
July 18th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I'm a 1c/2a... Leaning more towards 1c. Humidity makes my hair curl and sproing away from my head. :silly:

curly girl fla
July 18th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Frizzy, frizzy, FRIZZY! It's really been hard to have good hair days during storm season in Florida...every year...although you learn to sort of accept it and work with it. I have curly 3a/b hair, and the curls do get curlier, but bigger and puffier, too. Yes, it's a beautiful thing... :roll:

Shorty89
July 18th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Well, we don't get much humidity here, but I get little temple curls and nape curls.

Tangles
July 18th, 2008, 11:55 AM
I'm a "moderate wavy" and I don't really get curlier in humidity. I get frizzy and poofy sometimes, but humidity also makes the wave definition looser sometimes, too. For example, braid waves might fall out while the hair around my face poofs up.

Siava
July 18th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Instant poofball. If it's humid I just pull it back. There's no fighting it.

Finoriel
July 18th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Humid or dry weather does not change the appearance of my hair at all. It is and stays straight. I never curl my hair, but slight braid or bun waves disappear almost instantly in humid weather... not that they last much longer in dry weather either. :wink: 1a for sure.

Katze
July 18th, 2008, 12:11 PM
if it's really hot and humid, my hair gets super wavy and frizzy.

"normal" humidity - what we have around here 90% of the year - in other words it rains an awful lot - tends to make my hair spiral at the ends. In dryer climates, it's much straighter.

Cichelle
July 18th, 2008, 03:25 PM
My hair gets puffy, but very soft. The curls become undefined, but I wouldn't call it frizzy. My hair seems to thrive in humidity, healthwise, but it's not good for holding styles of any kind.

Riot Crrl
July 18th, 2008, 03:30 PM
It is a double edged sword. More frizz, but tighter curls.

Patrycja
July 18th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Humidity and I have been battleing for ages.Its a thorn in my side :( My hair frizzes big time!

eadwine
July 19th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Poof curly. All my babies have some curl in them, some big time (like so tight you could put a penny in the O of the hair :lol:

But then I mist regularly and it reduces that because it gets enough :)

Curlsgirl
July 19th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Mine stays about the same if I let it dry naturally curly. If I try to staighten it a bit with a bun by combing as it dries or something, it goes a bit frizzy when it gets humid. I almost always wear it up or braided though if it's humid.

frizzinator
July 19th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Humidity makes my hair frizzy.

ZaBasDa
July 19th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Usually if there is product in my hair, it gets frizzy with humidity and more define curls. Otherwise, the curls will be less define, really soft, and kind of poofy, not really frizzy though.

Carolyn
July 19th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I'm a 1c. Humidity makes mine straighter which I love. I've never had frizz unless I've had a perm. And we all know that's never happening again! :D

tobikay
July 19th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Major frizz.

nutsenmai
July 19th, 2008, 11:46 PM
My hair gets a bit poofy in humidity, but it's so thin that it's welcome! I loved living in NW Washington, the weather there was great for my hair and skin!

The worst place I ever lived was Fairbanks, AK where there was NO humidity. The static was horrendous...

SweetPea88
July 20th, 2008, 12:13 AM
It's really hot and humid right now where I live and my hair gets insanely frizzy. As I let my hair airdry I think that the humidity really brings out my waves and I even get occasional spirals.

birthmarkie
July 20th, 2008, 01:02 AM
I'm a 1 and my hair lays flat in environmental humidity, except for baby hairs. They stick up spaghetti straight and the longer ones fall in my face and poke it, which itches terribly. After escaping from the humidity it gets very soft and wants to be petted.

Gladtobemom
July 20th, 2008, 01:03 AM
I'm a 2b,2c,3a and humidity means FRIZZ.

Usually, bunning, coconut oil, and not brushing are enough.

But . . . in the summer, when it's hot and humid, when my hair is crawling out of every pin. Aveda Anti-humectant is wonderful.

whiteisle
July 20th, 2008, 08:58 PM
1b-1c = major poof and frizz, baby! Blech!

crebbsgirl
July 20th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I'm about a 2a, and usually the wave gets more pronounced, but that's pretty much it. It just kind of... hangs? :)

DotDotDot
July 20th, 2008, 09:45 PM
I'm a 2b/2c/3a/3b and humidity makes my hair both curl and frizz like mad. I once found a few 3c's on a humid day. :D

Haith
July 21st, 2008, 08:49 AM
Humidity makes all my shorter hairs go curly, so I get this big curly halo all around my face and on the back of my neck. I usually just pull it back, because in the humidity I'm usually so sticky that touching my hair probably causes damage, and I sweat worse wherever it touches my back and shoulders.

taliarose
July 21st, 2008, 09:09 AM
I have frizz all the time in NE. I've never actually noticed if it did anything to the waves in it though. It's so thick and heavy that when it's down it just pulls what little curl I have into waves....

Loreyanne_H
July 21st, 2008, 09:41 AM
I'm a 1b/1c babyfine thin hair, neither greasy nor dry, and for me humidity = frizzy horribile hair.

vindo
July 21st, 2008, 09:50 AM
I am a 1a the regular humidity outside does not affect my hair but steam from a shower makes the little hairs around my face go wavy. Never quite understood that since my hair usually refuses any wave I might try to get into it..:p

Starr
July 21st, 2008, 12:10 PM
humidity= my hair, only BIGGER

catfish
July 21st, 2008, 12:28 PM
I live on the beach, so I get a combination of high humidity ( very south) and salt spray year round. My skin loves it and my hair gets wavier and soft but very fuzzy. There is no such thing as sleek hair here:D Even in updos my hair is frizzy/fuzzy/puffy. Oh well, at least I have great texture.

helpmegro
July 21st, 2008, 12:51 PM
My hair gets frizz-tastic in humid conditions. Even cold humidity. Eg I went to the UK last November and it was raining, raining, raining. And despite conditioners and leave ins, and brushing hair out straight, I had this halo of frizz I just couldn't get rid of.

Weird thing is, my hair loves humidity much more than dryness. My hair is shiny and nice when it's humid... except for the part that stands up as frizz.

Tressie
July 21st, 2008, 07:08 PM
We have a good bit of humidity here in the southern US. When my hair is freshly washed it gets what I call "furry"! All of the short strands stand up and wave at one another! LOL:D

DecafJane
July 21st, 2008, 10:27 PM
I am M/2C and humidity destroys the curl in my hair and makes it horrid and frizzy. Unfortunately I live in a humid climate, but when I go on holidays somewhere with drier hair, I get the most spectacular ringlets. :cheese:

froglet
July 22nd, 2008, 06:43 AM
Living on the gulf coast of Florida, I deal with humidity quite often. Luckily for me, my hair loves it. Humidity makes my hair soft, full, wavier and more malleable, in that it pins up easier and stays put in updo's. I'm a 1b.

Arctic
July 22nd, 2008, 07:10 AM
When I used to have straight hair (before LHC) it got even straighter and limp when it was humid weather. Now I am not yet so familiar with my "new" hair that I could say how it reacts :blush: but I think humidity doesn't effect my hair much these days. Humidity does make my hair go greasy looking faster, though. And the baby hairs at the front hairline boof a little now that think of it :)

ETA: My hair is 1c/2a - F/M - ii

lapushka
July 22nd, 2008, 07:17 AM
I have 2a hair. Cold & moist is a garantee for frizz. Warm & moist OTOH often means nicer waves, oddly enough.

rhubarbarin
July 22nd, 2008, 01:44 PM
It's bigger and fluffierwhen it humid, and if I spend time outdoors with it loose and let the wind muss it it will get frizzy. But it's not nessesarily curlier, curl depends more on product for me.

BlueRose4217
July 23rd, 2008, 09:14 AM
Thanks so much for all of the replys thus far. I am going to tally up the results after one week and I'll post them for you. I also posted this poll on the Loom and I will include those results, too. Thanks again...this has been very interesting! :)

GlassEyes
July 23rd, 2008, 11:58 AM
Humidity + my hair = POOOF.

Dry and hot + my hair = POOOOF.

flapjack
July 24th, 2008, 04:20 AM
Same as in any other weather I have experienced. I usually wear it up in humid weather though because it gets HOT on my back and it sticks to my arms and neck, it's unpleasant to say the least. And the underneath part will often get damp and stay that way for days and it just feels yucky.

Medvssa
July 24th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Both very dry and very humid make my hair frizzier.

3a/b (more b than a I think) M/C (more C than M I think ;P) and very dry hair.

Tressie
July 25th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I'm not sure that I have typed my hair correctly. I may need to go back and look at that again, as it is sometimes more wavy when I let it dry naturally and don't comb or brush. However, to get to the poll question, I always have what I call the "furries" when it is humid and my hair is freshly washed. It's not so bad a day or so after washing though. It seems the shorter hairs do stand up and wave:D If I have rolled the ends they usually unroll as well:p and it is more soft and fluffy all over my head:rolleyes:

longhairedfairy
July 25th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Lately the humidity seems to make my hair really soft.

Hatsumomo
July 25th, 2008, 03:55 AM
I'm a 2b/c and humidity just makes it massive. It also undoes a fair bit of straightening if I've straightened it that day.

Eden Iris
July 25th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Humidity kicks my hair up to a 2c. I love humid weather.

noelgirl
July 26th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Humidity makes my hair much curlier, and it gets pretty frizzy as well. I'm a 2b normally, but on the most humid days it starts to resemble 3a.

rockkcor
July 26th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Humidity makes my har really curly... It turns into reall mess.
One of the reasons I strted to grow my hair is to make it long enough so I don't get all frizzy once it starts to rain...

inertia
July 26th, 2008, 09:57 PM
My hair is 1b and it turns into a frizzy mess in humidity. It's quite straight on dry winter days but on rainy days or in the summer there's nothing I can do to prevent frizz.

zen_oven
July 26th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I'm a 2b/2c and humidity = frizzy. Which happens to me a lot since I live in southeast Texas and it's humid year-round. I feel like it weighs down my hair more than it makes it poofy, though, and I guess if I have to put up with it I'd prefer it this way. My hair tends to be dry, too, so I'm just starting to experiment with some anti-frizz products that are good for dry hair.

kwaniesiam
July 26th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I don't ever get curls, just puffy frizz when its humid.

DeepRiver
July 27th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Humidity makes my hair wavy.

BlueRose4217
July 28th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Well, here are the results:

1a - (1) person would get curlier around the face - (4) straighter
1b - (12) curlier - (2) straighter
1c - (10) curlier - (1) straighter

2a - (8 ) curlier - (1) braid waves straighten
2b - (19) curlier - (1) wave straighten
2c - (6) curlier - (0) straighter

3a - (6) curlier - (0) straighter
3b - (5) curlier - (0) straighter

There were no responses for the remaining types.

So in typical Mythbuster fashion, this myth is..."confirmed"!!

For the most part, if your hair has some natural curl to it, then humidity will most likely make it curlier/frizzier/fuller/poofier, etc. If you hair is naturally straight, then humidity will either not affect it or take out any curl you have tried to put into it.

This was very interesting and helpful! I always wondered why my hair acts differently than most peoples...that's because I am in the minority of hair curliness! :thumbsup:

PrincessColene
March 22nd, 2009, 03:59 PM
My hair has a definent trend to being extra frizzy and extra curly around ANY moisture.

JamieLeigh
March 22nd, 2009, 04:02 PM
I'm a 2a, and humidity makes my tiny frizzies stand out like crazy. It looks like I have a tiny halo of curl all up and down my length. :(

dulce-de-leche
March 24th, 2009, 05:26 AM
I get curls on my temples and behind my ears and everything else is frizz,frizz,frizz