PDA

View Full Version : Coconut products?

Hollyfire3
February 8th, 2012, 02:12 PM
I have some questions about coconut. If anyone on here has read my multiple threads on messed up hair, curl loss or other things, they know i was willing to try anything to fix this inbalance i supposed i had. So, after much moisture and still not better hair, i poured canned coconut milk on it and left it in for 30 mins, heating with a blow dryer for 10. My curls came back a bit, but the milk was heavy, i didn't mind though. Apparently my hair likes coconut, i proceeded to wash my hair with organix coconut shampoo and conditioner (which i assumed my hair would hate because of the proteins in it) and my hair got curlier and curlier with each succesive wash. Then, upon using some vitamin treatment after using half coconut shampoo and half of another shampoo i have tons of, my hair felt protein overloaded again. Washed with organix last night to correct this and, success, my hair is almost good again, after another wash and condition (i plan on wrapping my head with a warm towel and leaving for 30 mins or so this time for extra beneft) my hair should be good. Now, if my hair was ruined from protein overload months ago, and no protein treatments work for me now (hence why the vitamin treatment didn't work, it was nearly all protein) why does my hair like this shampoo? Is this just a fluke and not a real solution? or does my hair just like coconut and i might have actually found a long term solution to my problems? Why would it work if my hair supposedly hates protein? sorry for the long post, i realize this sounds like a lot to do to hair, but it was over 2 and a half weeks, not all at once, not to worry. Thanks again, guys:)

Pidge
February 8th, 2012, 08:06 PM
While I can't give you an explanation, I can say that I've had similar experiences with the Organix Coconut line. My hair tends to be very sensitive to any sort of protein, but really adores this stuff, and it is the only thing that will really bring out what little waves/curls I've got in a non-frizzy way. Even their mousse is really effective, and incredibly light. I guess they've just got a good balance?

HintOfMint
February 8th, 2012, 08:09 PM
I don't think all proteins are created equal, so maybe Organix and coconut stuff has a certain protein that agrees with your hair.

ktani
February 8th, 2012, 08:21 PM
I have some questions about coconut. If anyone on here has read my multiple threads on messed up hair, curl loss or other things, they know i was willing to try anything to fix this inbalance i supposed i had. So, after much moisture and still not better hair, i poured canned coconut milk on it and left it in for 30 mins, heating with a blow dryer for 10. My curls came back a bit, but the milk was heavy, i didn't mind though. Apparently my hair likes coconut, i proceeded to wash my hair with organix coconut shampoo and conditioner (which i assumed my hair would hate because of the proteins in it) and my hair got curlier and curlier with each succesive wash. Then, upon using some vitamin treatment after using half coconut shampoo and half of another shampoo i have tons of, my hair felt protein overloaded again. Washed with organix last night to correct this and, success, my hair is almost good again, after another wash and condition (i plan on wrapping my head with a warm towel and leaving for 30 mins or so this time for extra beneft) my hair should be good. Now, if my hair was ruined from protein overload months ago, and no protein treatments work for me now (hence why the vitamin treatment didn't work, it was nearly all protein) why does my hair like this shampoo? Is this just a fluke and not a real solution? or does my hair just like coconut and i might have actually found a long term solution to my problems? Why would it work if my hair supposedly hates protein? sorry for the long post, i realize this sounds like a lot to do to hair, but it was over 2 and a half weeks, not all at once, not to worry. Thanks again, guys:)

The protein from the coconut milk plus whatever else is in there (some contain gums) plus the protein in the hair products are surface conditioners.

Not all protein surface conditioners are the same weight.

You also clarified your hair recently, so while the coconut milk was heavy (it contains a fair amount of oil) and you mixed two different products together, the coatings of one did not obvioulsly agree with the coatings of the other.

It is about finding products your hair likes and not overusing them and removing coatings when too much of them have been used, whatever they may be. ETA: You do not have to clarify in all instances for that to happen.

jacqueline101
February 8th, 2012, 08:30 PM
I love coconut oil. My hair loves it and I hope my hair loves it and I hope it never changes

getoffmyskittle
February 8th, 2012, 08:35 PM
If I put coconut oil in my hair while it's damp, it makes my hair very curly. I don't know why.

Hollyfire3
February 9th, 2012, 01:53 PM
The protein from the coconut milk plus whatever else is in there (some contain gums) plus the protein in the hair products are surface conditioners.

Not all protein surface conditioners are the same weight.

You also clarified your hair recently, so while the coconut milk was heavy (it contains a fair amount of oil) and you mixed two different products together, the coatings of one did not obvioulsly agree with the coatings of the other.

It is about finding products your hair likes and not overusing them and removing coatings when too much of them have been used, whatever they may be. ETA: You do not have to clarify in all instances for that to happen.

Oh alright, this makes a bit of sense. All i know is that my hair seems to be good with this stuff..its a rough right now, and not perfect but i also blow dryed to make it dry faster last night so i will wash, then leave the conditioner on for like 30 mins, will this act as a deeper conditioning treatment or does it just stop working after a while of sitting on my head?