PDA

View Full Version : What do you do after clarifying?

Long_hair_bear
February 8th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Hey everyone!

You'll have to forgive me as I've never clarified my hair by myself before. I bought neutrogenas clarifying shampoo, so I figured I'd do my monthly clarifying next week. What exactly do you do after clarifying? I've heard it can be drying. Do you condish and oil? Thanks! :D

airmid
February 8th, 2012, 09:45 AM
I've only clarified once, with the same shampoo you're going to use, and afterwards I definitely had to do a deep condition. I left it in a hair mask for at least 20 minutes, but you can leave it in for longer. All dryness was taken care of! An oiling wouldn't hurt either if you like oil. Good luck with your clarifying! :)

spidermom
February 8th, 2012, 09:46 AM
I just get on with my life as before.

white.chocolate
February 8th, 2012, 09:50 AM
The first time I clarified, I panicked because I found my hair so dry that I could hear the sound when I rubbed it... and it was during a dry winter. I placed oil and carried my mister bottle around, which has my usual leave-in conditioner mixture. (Hope I did something effective, though. At least I think I did.)

Carolyn
February 8th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Clarifying IS drying. The purpose is to strip all the product build up off the hair. So after I do a clarifying shampoo I do a nice rich moisturizing treatment. Sometimes it's an SMT with a rich moisturizing conditioner. Sometimes I just sit in the bathtub with a concoction of favorite moisturizing conditioners on my head for a while. After that I like to do a light oiling or use a leave in to help seal in the moisture.

Long_hair_bear
February 8th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I'll pry deep condish then use some of nightbloomings oil, then, when it's dry, panacea.

gracenotes
February 8th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I usually just condition as usual [rinse out conditioner, leave in conditioner, oil]. If I'm not pressed for time, I'll do an SMT.

mzBANGBANG
February 8th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Surprisingly my hair doesn't get too dry after rice vinegar clarifying (and I don't dilute my vinegar... now I have to because I am running low, haha!). I go about my usual routine, which is over-conditioning, rinse with freezing cold water, wait for it to dry 25%, blow dry it on cool 50%, and let it dry in an updo the rest of the way (I know this is particular, but I love the way cool, almost dry hair feels when I take it out of an updo after clarifying... so clean!)

pepperminttea
February 8th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I do a deep moisture treatment, just to off set the dryness. Sometimes I sneak a protein treatment in between the two, as well.

I just get on with my life as before.

:lol:

heidi w.
February 8th, 2012, 11:35 AM
I rarely clarify anymore, but when I do, I condition the hair well as part of such a hair wash. One should replace what's been removed.

Then what Spidermom said, Just get on with my life.

heidi w.

jacqueline101
February 8th, 2012, 12:25 PM
I clarify then oil my hair.

Tia2010
February 8th, 2012, 12:42 PM
I do a deep conditioning after a clarifying shampoo. I leave it in for a few hours, rinse and apply a little oil to my ends. :)

Long_hair_bear
February 12th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Ok, so I just found out that my hair HATES clarifying. I washed tonight with neutrogenas anti residue shampoo, and my hair felt like straw in the shower after I rinsed it out! My first thought was, I'm definitely gonna need my cone condish! Kinda defeats the purpose of clarifying in the first place. I hadn't clarified in a month either so it's not like I'm overdoing it. After my silicone condish, it felt abit better, but I put some of nightbloomings triple moon oil on my damp hair to be safe.

Kelikea
February 12th, 2012, 06:42 PM
If using clarifying shampoo, I would follow with cone-free conditioner. I usually clarify with BS, so I follow that with acv rinse.

Amber_Maiden
February 12th, 2012, 06:58 PM
I use ACV, then condition and oil it.

Sillage
February 12th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I condition as usual and oil-- usually with rosehip seed or tamanu oil or a combination of both. I like silicones and styling products so I clarify one or twice a month.

Stagecoach
February 12th, 2012, 07:47 PM
I do a deep condition with a cone free conditioner, and oil a little heavily while it's wet. Then I return to whatever my current routine is.

annamoonfairy
February 12th, 2012, 07:52 PM
I do it about once a month then condition. Hope this helps some.

PixxieStix
February 12th, 2012, 08:02 PM
I clarified with baking soda for the first time today, and ew, was my hair nasty. After washing out the baking soda (took forever!), I put in my oil shampoo and left it on for about 5-10 minutes, rinsed out, did a diluted AVC rinse to adjust my scalp pH, then rinsed my hair as usual in freezing cold water. Put on some coconut oil as a leave in and ta-da! Happy, healthy hair.

SHADOWSCODE46
February 12th, 2012, 08:22 PM
I use & love the same shampoo you are using (next best thing since Aveda discontinued theirs :(). After I clarify I take advantage of my hairs 'clean slate' and do something intensive. It will either be a penetrative deep conditioner (like Joico's Moisture Recovery Balm, Jessie Curls Deep conditioner, or a mix of my own), a hard core protein (like Nexxus Emergencee) or on the rare occasion, a Bentonite clay mud mix. It's a must in order to restore the integrity of my hair. It is way too stripped and vulnerable after clarifying, for me to get away with the regular 2 minute condition & rinse. :-(

Lissandria
February 13th, 2012, 02:59 AM
Usually after I clarify, I henna, then indigo my hair. Then I condition the ends and oil them.
I seldom clarify if I'm not hennaing. My monthly/six weekly clarifying pre-henna gets rid of buildup so I don't need to do it much otherwise.
If I do clarify for buildup/dry ends I would follow up with an SMT and heavy oiling.