PDA

View Full Version : clarifying after protein treatment

airmid
February 8th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Hello! The other day I decided my hair needed some protein, as it's been having a major problem with shedding and breaking off and is rather thin and fine. I mixed up a goopy mix of one egg, a glob of goat's milk yogurt, and about a tablespoon of olive oil. My hair was already oiled as well. I sat with it in for about a half hour then CWCd it out with a deep moisture conditioner.

My hair was really dry feeling when it was wet but when it air-dried it was very soft and moisturized and... thicker feeling, if that's possible. However, it's very heavy and kind of greasy looking.

I was wondering if now I`m due for a clarifying (Neutrogena anti-residue is what I`d use)... my hair feels like it needs to be clarified, but I don`t want to undo all the goodness of my protein treatment. So my question is, should I clarify or will that strip my hair too much after my protein treatment? Could the heaviness just be caused by oil and another CWC might take care of it?

How long should one wait to clarify after a protein/moisture treatment?
Thanks!

ktani
February 8th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Hello! The other day I decided my hair needed some protein, as it's been having a major problem with shedding and breaking off and is rather thin and fine. I mixed up a goopy mix of one egg, a glob of goat's milk yogurt, and about a tablespoon of olive oil. My hair was already oiled as well. I sat with it in for about a half hour then CWCd it out with a deep moisture conditioner.

My hair was really dry feeling when it was wet but when it air-dried it was very soft and moisturized and... thicker feeling, if that's possible. However, it's very heavy and kind of greasy looking.

I was wondering if now I`m due for a clarifying (Neutrogena anti-residue is what I`d use)... my hair feels like it needs to be clarified, but I don`t want to undo all the goodness of my protein treatment. So my question is, should I clarify or will that strip my hair too much after my protein treatment? Could the heaviness just be caused by oil and another CWC might take care of it?

How long should one wait to clarify after a protein/moisture treatment?
Thanks!

The protein you added is on the surface of your hair. If you clarify, you will be stripping it off along with whatever hair product coatings that may be underneath it.

It may well be just the oil that you need to remove and a conditioner only wash may just take care of it for you.

airmid
February 8th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Excellent! Thank you! I suspected as much, that clarifying would just undo everything I did. If I use regular shampoo on the scalp (my scalp is oily and doesn't CO very well, usually likes a bit of shampoo) will that hurt? Or should I just try the CO?
Again, thanks! :)

ktani
February 8th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Excellent! Thank you! I suspected as much, that clarifying would just undo everything I did. If I use regular shampoo on the scalp (my scalp is oily and doesn't CO very well, usually likes a bit of shampoo) will that hurt? Or should I just try the CO?
Again, thanks! :)

You can do both. The shampoo on your scalp is necessary for you. Use it because that is best. For the length, you can emulsify the oil out with conditioner.

And you are very welcome.