PDA

View Full Version : How do I do a scalp scrub?

Mannaz
February 8th, 2012, 04:29 AM
My scalp is very flaky at the moment, maybe it's just the winter but it's really starting to get to me! So I was thinking a scalp scrub might help, but I've never done one. Any good recipes or techniques to share with me?

B-L
February 8th, 2012, 04:49 AM
I havn't done one my self but raw sugar could work if you blend it with your condish.

I've also read somewhere that you can make a ACV+sugar scrub but I can't remeber where... :confused:

Kiwiwi
February 8th, 2012, 04:56 AM
Hm, maybe that means your scalp is very dry because of the winter. I would suggest doing a regular scalp oiling. That will make your scalp less dry and soften the flakes you have now and prevent new flakes to come.
Scrubbing might irritate your dry scalp more?
Just a thought.

rock007junkie
February 8th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Mix some some brown sugar with some olive oil (I personally like to mix it with some conditioner instead so I can just cowash with it) and some drops of peppermint or tea tree oil. I do it without this last ingredient most of the time and it works fine as well.

QMacrocarpa
February 8th, 2012, 06:52 AM
I haven't tried it, but there are instructions for a coconut oil and salt scalp scrub here (http://www.prismnet.com/~cortese/hair/routine.html#dandruff). (Disclaimer: putting coconut oil down the drain sounds like a good way to get clogged pipes to me!)

Neneka
February 8th, 2012, 07:42 AM
I have done it a couple of times. I used olive oil and sugar (or salt.. actually I don't remeber..). I just had to wash it with SLS shampoo but my scalp felt really good after the treatment. :) I know that there is some products for that too. They just might be hard to find...

goldenmoments
February 8th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Scrubs are rough of on your hair. I would recommend scalp massaging to loosen the buildup. Make sure you are actually stimulating the skin on your scalp by applying pressure in one spot with your finger tips and making a circular motion, you should feel the skin moving with your fingers, rather than moving hair around on your head.

This will really promote blood flow to your scalp ( ps, I find it helps to keep my head covered to protect my scalp in the winter) You might notice afterward that all the skin is clinging to your roots and/or length so you might need to wash right then (or bbb/comb if that is something you find works for you) to get the flakes out and look presentable.

Hope this helps! My scalp was particularly bad last week but one thorough scalp massage cleared everything, flakes and itchies too

blondie9912
February 8th, 2012, 05:31 PM
I mix brown sugar into my shampoo until it forms the consistency of...well, a scrub :p Then I just massage it into my scalp as I usually wash my hair

Mannaz
February 9th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Thanks for all the replies!

I've been doing scalp massages pretty consistently with castor oil with a few drops of rosemary EO mixed in, and they seem to help only for a moment, so that's why I feel that a scrub is worth a try :) I'll keep doing the scalp massages too though, as I know they really stimulate the blood flow and feel so good.

One thing that might contribute to the problem is that I've been using dry shampoo about once a week, it seems to be a very dry shampoo indeed! :P Maybe I'll save using it for the summer.

I like the idea of mixing raw sugar, olive oil and peppermint EO, and happen to have all of them at hand, I think I'll try it tonight! I might add a bit of ACV too, as my scalp seems to like it. Just remember to be very gentle.

Thanks for all your advice, have a great day! :flower:

melusine963
February 10th, 2012, 01:31 PM
I've never tried this before, but I might have to give it a go. I've heard of people using sugar scrubs, but never salt. Which would work better, so you think?

shikara
February 11th, 2012, 10:57 PM
I agree about scalp scrubs possibly being rough on your hair. Also, like you I did massages with carrier and some essential oils, and my scalp loved them for quite some time, then I got the itches - I was surprised because tea tree, rosemary, and lavender were in the mix. My old never let me down stand by, Head and Shoulders fixed it in one wash. How are your scrubs going?

nicolina
February 12th, 2012, 12:02 AM
I have to join the call for a scalp oiling - I have also had a very dry and flaky scalp this winter. Adding scalp massage with olive oil (and the teensiest bit of tea tree) has made ALL the difference. Plus it's mega relaxing.

There's an article on how to do scalp massage here:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=172

Mannaz
February 12th, 2012, 04:18 AM
Well, I did a srub with raw sugar, olive oil, ACV and a couple of drops od peppermint and EO's, and things are much better now! It's been two days since the scrub and there are no flakes or itchies whatsoever, I'm very pleased at this point.

I really think there was stuff going on with my scalp that massages couldn't get rid of, I mean I could actually see a layer of skin trying to come off :run: Gross, I know.

It was a bit hard to get the mixture to the scalp cause I was dumn enough to get my hair wet first...But it went okay, and I'm going to do this again. Oh, I also scrubbed my face with the mixture and it turned my skin very soft :)

Melusine639, maybe sugar is better because the grains are more round compared to say sea salt?

Shikara: Yeah, I don't know why the oil mixtures start behaving bad at some point, maybe it's time to adjust the ratios then? Come to think of it, I've slept with the mixture on many nights, maybe it clogges things up?

Dorothy
February 12th, 2012, 07:14 AM
I don't have these issues so I wouldn't do this to my tender head, but I do have some advice about salt vs sugar, as my body requires a great deal of scrubbing.

And I heartily recommend sugar.

Scrubbing yourself with salt does result in tiny scratches, or if you should already have a scratch somewhere, you will find yourself literally rubbing salt into your wound, and that is indeed as painful as the saying might suggest. OUCH! Stick to sugar.