PDA

View Full Version : Query for the Pixies

BeautifulSoup
February 8th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Are there any ladies out there who got a pixie cut and regretted/didn't regret it?

It's just my hair is thinning terribly, it's very tempting to shear it all off. It would be great to hear your experiences.

Thanks!

skydancer7
February 8th, 2012, 12:11 AM
After having chopped a few times now, I can say that getting a pixie DID NOT help me personally. It did not ruin my life, but it didn't really help the situation. However, my problem was a little different: issues with hair dye, trying to blend the stark demarcation line etc.

I am still happy with my hair. Righ now it is just barely jaw length, in a bob. I am ok with it but am waiting for it to grow.

For me, I finally found a hair colorist who could blend the hendigo with my natural color using some dark streaks as lowlights. Had I done this earlier, I would not have had to chop off the 8 inches of hair to get rid of the black ends. Oops! Oh well.

Maybe try a shorter length than what you have but something still long enough to put up if you want. My issue right now is I want to be able to put my hair up but it is still too short.

If you get a pixe, and your hair still feels too thin and you want to put it up and forget about it but CAN'T because it is too short, you may get frustrated.

Good luck!!

sfgirl
February 8th, 2012, 12:14 AM
I'd go with a bob first. Some people gave me this advice when I joined, wanting to cut the damage off. Turned out I only needed to go to APL. :)

BeautifulSoup
February 8th, 2012, 12:26 AM
I have considered a bob, but I was forced to have one for all of my childhood and have been turned off ever since..

BeautifulSoup
February 8th, 2012, 12:29 AM
After having chopped a few times now, I can say that getting a pixie DID NOT help me personally. It did not ruin my life, but it didn't really help the situation. However, my problem was a little different: issues with hair dye, trying to blend the stark demarcation line etc.

I am still happy with my hair. Righ now it is just barely jaw length, in a bob. I am ok with it but am waiting for it to grow.

For me, I finally found a hair colorist who could blend the hendigo with my natural color using some dark streaks as lowlights. Had I done this earlier, I would not have had to chop off the 8 inches of hair to get rid of the black ends. Oops! Oh well.

Maybe try a shorter length than what you have but something still long enough to put up if you want. My issue right now is I want to be able to put my hair up but it is still too short.

If you get a pixe, and your hair still feels too thin and you want to put it up and forget about it but CAN'T because it is too short, you may get frustrated.

Good luck!!

That's a good point; if I want to put it up but can't because of the shortness.

woolyleprechaun
February 8th, 2012, 12:49 AM
If thinnings your problem, you run the risk of scalp showing through a short hairstyle. If you do realy need to cut lots off, something blunt like a bob will be better, I think :) Not to mention A LOT easier to grow out than a pixie (think of all those mullet stages....)

Neneka
February 8th, 2012, 01:37 AM
I'd go with a bob first. Some people gave me this advice when I joined, wanting to cut the damage off. Turned out I only needed to go to APL. :)

Ditto. I recommend to not to cut a pixie at once. I got my BSL hair cut to pixie and I really regretted it. I still regret it. It would have been enough to cut it to APL, I think, or maybe shoulder. I had some chemical damage from bleach and harsh dyes.

stinamoo
February 8th, 2012, 03:55 AM
I cut to 1" long all over to remove bleach damage. I don't regret it :)
I only had APL-ish hair at the time though, and I'm just reaching past APL two years later. The in between stages are a bit of a pain if you want to grow out again, but you can do a lot with cute clips.

LissaJane
February 8th, 2012, 03:59 AM
I went pixie (buzz-cut, actually) and I'm super happy with my choice.
My hair was so thin and damaged just before I cut it, my braid twithered into nothing ness. Now, I can grab parts of my hair on my head and, it's not long enough for a ponytail, but the tiny amount I can gather together on one quarter of my head is more than my braid when my hair was long.

I feel like it also helped me a little as a person, beforehand I feel as though I used to hide behind my hair... when pictures were taken, when going out, etc....
When I had no hair I had nothing to hide behind. I feel like I've discovered a more confident part of myself and I feel happier for it.

All in all, my pixie experience has been a good one :)
I hope whatever you decide to do works out

Pixie0763
February 8th, 2012, 06:08 AM
I've had my hair in a very short pixie for years; just started growing it out 6 months ago. For me a pixie was great. It's super easy to "style" ... wash it and add a touch of styling goop, and off I went.

IMHO, the downside is the lack of versatility. It always looks the same. There's not much you can do to change up hair that's that short. This is the reason I'm growing it now. I want to be able to pull it back, put it up, braid it, etc.

XcaliburGirl
February 8th, 2012, 06:59 AM
I kept my pixie for about 7 months. It didn't really suit me. Some people do look great with them, though. The day-to-day aspects were great, but keeping it maintained with trims was a pain.

Unhappiness with how your hair looks won't be helped by all the awkward stages and weird flippy layers that come with growing out a pixie cut.

If you think you would enjoy the pixie and keep it for a while, then go for it. If you are just doing it because you are unhappy with your hair, I think if you should try shoulder or chin length first (maybe you can get a chin-length cut that's not a bob?), if that doesn't help, you can go shorter.

chou
February 8th, 2012, 07:06 AM
I had a pixie cut for several years and loved it. It made my average eyes look really big and pretty. The upkeep was a massive pain, though. Imagine maintaining bangs... all over your head. So be sure you have a good stylist if this is what you want.
But, I worry that you might not be happy with a pixie cut if you get it just as a last resort. Try less short short styles first because they will be easier to grow out if you don't like them.

ascension101vr2
February 8th, 2012, 07:20 AM
With my face shape I actually look better with short hair. Short hair makes it easier for me to use shampoo bars and some non traditional hair care routines then when I had long hair. It was a wear and go type hair that I could wear messy or styled. If you look at hair just being hair, and don't mind dramatic change go for it. If you think it will become a frustration point if you choose to grow it back out I would consider trying to cut your hair in increments first as some of the other members have suggested.

BeautifulSoup
February 8th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the replies! They've actually been really helpful. I think I would like to try a pixie some time in the near future, but many of you have suggested doing something less drastic first so that's what I'll do. A long bob should do the trick!

dulce
February 8th, 2012, 06:00 PM
I agree with the blunt bob .My hair thinned at the temples but my long hair on top covers it.When I had a pixie 3-4 years ago the pixie clearly showed my thin areas a lot as I had no long top hair to cover it up.

JaneinMarch
February 8th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Back when I was smoking a lot and not eating very well, I had some major thinning in my center part. It was looking really bad even though I could pull it back and sort of disguise the damage, so I decided to just cut it off. I went down to about two inches and it looked so much better. I did not regret it at all.

joflakes
February 9th, 2012, 05:43 AM
I had my hair cut into a pixie last May.
I don't regret it but I didn't keep it that way as I felt totally unconfident and like a man. I just lost a lot of my femininity so my advice would be to cut to a bob. If you still want it after that then fair enough!
I'm just a mini-bob now. It's alright but I still feel kinda apathetic about my hair.

SeaPhoenix
February 9th, 2012, 09:43 PM
I almost went pixie this time - decided long hair isn't for me, after - well.. most of my life of pursuing long hair as a goal (got to hip length once even). I cut it in layers with the longest at the neck. At the current length I can roll it in curlers overnight and have curly hair all day long (my long hair wouldn't hold a curl to save its life).

I think I'll give a pixie another whirl in the near future, but I don't see myself growing my hair out again. Even healthy, it was thinnish, flat... meh. Shorter hair just looks much better on me.

I think the reasons for cutting also matter though. Before when I would cut my hair it was always to fix the damage from something - and I would anxiously obsess over it growing out. This time, I cut it because I was choosing to change things. Appearance, style, presentation to the world and to myself... I think genuinely wanting the shorter hair (where I'm at now) vs feeling I had no choice but to cut it (previous short hair forays) makes all the difference in attitude :-)

BlazingHeart
February 10th, 2012, 01:33 PM
I was happier with a pageboy/wedge than I was with a pixie, but that is partly because it is hard to cut very thick hair into a pixie and the stylist I saw did not do a good job.

I had that cut 10 years ago and I still miss how easy it was to take care of and how fast it dried.

Kumiko033
February 10th, 2012, 02:12 PM
The pixie is a experience in my opinion.
you can no longer hide behind your hair, nothing!

When you have a face for it, rock it! It took me 8 month's to grow it in a bob and now in a month it will be a year and almost shoulder length so there will be times of..well, being frustrated with the growing out stages!

Be aware of mullets in the back lol!

Like everyone is already saying, first try a bob, you can always go shorter.

yet in my opinion, short hair is something that can make you notice some features of your self you've never noticed before and you'll be able to experiment more with your looks in a different way.