PDA

View Full Version : Still getting horrid splits!

Dreamers91
February 7th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Hey everyone.
Lately I've become so frustrated with my ends. No matter how much I cut off, spits just keep coming back! I HATE SPLIT ENDS! :mad: It's gotten to the point of where I'd be in class, find one, and pull out my hair because I didn't have scissors (I have some at home, but can never find the splits at home!!). Please help :(

Last trim: Early December 2011.
Routine: In the shower I apply Sauve naturals conditioner to my ends, and then sauve naturals shampoo (diluted) to roots. I don't let the shampoo sit, I rinse almost immediately. I then apply 3 Minute Miracle to my ends (a little above my ears and down) and let it sit while i shave my legs (this is a good 5-10minutes), then rinse with cold (not freezing) water.
When I get out I towel dry my hair slightly, apply Pantene thick hair detangler, Treseme heat protectant (even when I dont plan on using heat), Redken Color Extend Sun Sparkling Shield Leave-In Smoother, and run my fingers through my hair, then apply coconut oil to ends.
I allow my hair to dry down without brushing. I only use heat on occasions. I only use my straightener, no blow-dryer or curling iron.
I mostly wear my hair down, My hair is between APL and BSL. I brush my hair with a BBB and apply coconut oil in the mornings.
I do have to do horrible things to my hair on occasion, because I am in pageants, I am forced to use tons of hairspray, teasing, and use of heat. Afterwards I always remove the gunk ASAP and use Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition 3 minute updo.
I have never dyed my hair, but I have bleached it, which you can see on the ends. My last bleaching was in August of 2010.
I'm currently taking: "Hair, Skin, and Nails" vitamins, and "Loestrin 24 fe", which is a birth control pill.
I eat 2 pieces of peanut butter toast (wheat bread) every morning, I mostly skip lunch (but when I do I eat a Caesar salad), and for dinner I have whatever the family is having. My family is currently on a high-protein low-carb diet, so we usually have chicken, steaks, or eggs. I also eat LOTS of pistachio nuts. So Yummy :)
I sleep anywhere from 7-9 hours a night.
I live in Florida, it is very hot here, and the sun is horrid. I burn easily, but I use Redken Color Extend Sun Sparkling Shield Leave-In Smoother (UVA/UVB protection).
Here's my hair, ignore the high bra, I had it rigged to push up my non-existant breasts, haha.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj117/gaiaangelz/11-11-11.jpg

Sorry for telling you my life-story, I just really want to figure out what is wrong with my hair!! :(

Sundial
February 7th, 2012, 10:24 PM
It seems to me that there is room for changes to your routine if you want to reduce damage and split ends. While there's nothing you can do about old bleach damage, you can reduce the amount of teasing and heat damage that you put your hair through. Hair that is past shoulder is at least 1-2 years old so damage accumulates and will show up at a later stage even if there are no visible problems now.

I was/am still growing out bleach damage and I used to bring a scissors around with me everywhere to cut of split or damaged ends. I no longer do that now though because the frequency of split or damaged ends popping up has reduced significantly. I learnt this tip from a few LHC members here who carry hair scissors around :o

Also, wearing your hair up helps to protect the ends. When it's down it tends to get caught in things or rub against stuff thereby causing mechanical damage. Most of us even wear it up in buns or braids while we sleep (silk pillow cases and scarves or sleep caps help too) :p

I'm not sure how much your hair likes protein, but you may also want to check out your ingredient list for proteins. For me, my hair hates proteins and proteins usually leave my hair dry and straw like. I start experiencing breakage with protein overload too.

Your current washing method (CWC with diluted shampoo?) seems gentle but if you like, you can probably give CO washing a try too. I found it helps a lot with my dry ends so I alternate it with other methods of washing.

sfgirl
February 7th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Maybe you're using too much products on your hair? My hair absolutely hates any type of chemical products.

Silverbrumby
February 7th, 2012, 11:27 PM
A couple of things:

* "I only use my straightener" If this is hot enough to burn the skin it's hot enough to be burning your hair which cannot heal. If possible I'd look to updo's, braids or anything other than heat. It will kill anything past the shoulders with accumulated damage. At a growth rate of 1/2 an inch a month by the time your hair is down to the shoulders the hair has been exposed to heat

3 x week = 156 times the hair has been exposed to heat in a year. When it gets to around APL it's in the 300's. That's a lot.

I'm not sure if you do this 3 x a week btw ;-)

The hairspray and teasing has to be done I imagine but I think if you remove the heat when you're not "On" then it will help.

Get rid of as much heat as possible. This has made a huge difference to my ends. I rarely get splits now with getting rid of heat.

ravenreed
February 7th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Catnip rinses have made a huge difference in the number of splits I get, but I am cone free. I don't know how catnip would work with your routine. I do think that you may need to avoid the straightener if you are getting so much damage at your length.

I would say that it is better to wait until you get home and find scissors than to pull out perfectly good hairs. I have a much easier time seeing the spits when I am out and about too, especially when I am in the car, but I wait until I get home. I usually go out and sit in the sun where I can see the splits and trim there. The other option is to do regular micro trims, removing just a bit of hair at a time.

Elenna
February 8th, 2012, 12:05 AM
I don't see anything wrong with you doing CO (with Suave naturals conditioner) on your length and scalp washing (with Suave naturals shampoo) on the roots. Nor the 3 Minute Miracle as a leave in. BUT do you really need to use all of the other products? A detanger, a heat protectant, and a smoother! And then coconut oil! All these last items may be contributing to your dry ends problem.

Let me tell you a secret. You can get smoothing results from properly using natural oils. The key word is properly. But even coconut oil can contribute to "crunchy" (read dried out) ends.

You say that you are in pageants. Well, you use hairspray, teasing, and heat. It is possible that this just adds to your hair problems. There may be some people here at LHC who are or had been in the same hair situation and found some method of hair care afterwards that alleviates the problem.

Dreamers91
February 8th, 2012, 01:19 PM
A couple of things:

* "I only use my straightener" If this is hot enough to burn the skin it's hot enough to be burning your hair which cannot heal. If possible I'd look to updo's, braids or anything other than heat. It will kill anything past the shoulders with accumulated damage. At a growth rate of 1/2 an inch a month by the time your hair is down to the shoulders the hair has been exposed to heat

3 x week = 156 times the hair has been exposed to heat in a year. When it gets to around APL it's in the 300's. That's a lot.

I'm not sure if you do this 3 x a week btw ;-)

The hairspray and teasing has to be done I imagine but I think if you remove the heat when you're not "On" then it will help.

Get rid of as much heat as possible. This has made a huge difference to my ends. I rarely get splits now with getting rid of heat.
I use a straightener approximately 2 times a month or less.

Also, to everyone saying CO: I don't really know how to co without having a greasy scalp?

B-L
February 8th, 2012, 01:26 PM

Also, to everyone saying CO: I don't really know how to co without having a greasy scalp?

The thing,when you CO wash is to wash your scalp more thoroughly then you would with poo. I wash and massage (gently) much longer and when I feel like I'm done... I wash some more! :)

B-L
February 8th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Oh and rinse out well..

I did the mistake of thinking I could use conditioner same way as a shampoo! I just applied some and massaged it in and rinsed quickly... Baad idea! It eas greasy and stringy!

spidermom
February 8th, 2012, 01:41 PM
When I get out I towel dry my hair slightly, apply Pantene thick hair detangler, Treseme heat protectant (even when I dont plan on using heat), Redken Color Extend Sun Sparkling Shield Leave-In Smoother, and run my fingers through my hair, then apply coconut oil to ends.
I have never dyed my hair, but I have bleached it, which you can see on the ends.Sorry for telling you my life-story, I just really want to figure out what is wrong with my hair!! :(

1) I think a towel is too rough. I use a flannel pillow-case to soak up extra water from my hair.
2) That's a lot of product, and once you coat your hair with all that, I doubt any of the coconut oil is going to sink in. Maybe try a bit of coconut oil FIRST.
3) Bleach damage can't be repaired, only trimmed away.

Dreamers91
February 8th, 2012, 01:48 PM
1) I think a towel is too rough. I use a flannel pillow-case to soak up extra water from my hair.
2) That's a lot of product, and once you coat your hair with all that, I doubt any of the coconut oil is going to sink in. Maybe try a bit of coconut oil FIRST.
3) Bleach damage can't be repaired, only trimmed away.\

Should I dump everything and just try coconut oil?

Isilme
February 8th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Cut down on the heat as much as you can, and stop teasing! Bleach damage just doesn't go away because you treat your hair better now, it has to be removed.
Let's say that you get a cm of new growth a month, put that into perspective on how much you have trimmed away.
Don't wear your hair down, your hair is already damaged from the bleach and heat, don't contribute to it by exposing your hair to wear and tear.
Also get something smooth like satin or silk to rest your head on while you sleep.

You are doing good, but there is also lots of room for improvement.

spidermom
February 8th, 2012, 02:02 PM
\

Should I dump everything and just try coconut oil?

After washing and conditioning, I think it's worth a try to apply only the coconut oil to give it a chance to penetrate, then use the heat protector only if you're going to heat style.

Just try this for a week or so to see if your ends improve a bit.

You'll see the best changes once the bleached ends have all been trimmed away.

heidi w.
February 8th, 2012, 02:02 PM
I allow my hair to dry down without brushing. I only use heat on occasions. I only use my straightener, no blow-dryer or curling iron.
I mostly wear my hair down, My hair is between APL and BSL. I brush my hair with a BBB and apply coconut oil in the mornings.

I do have to do horrible things to my hair on occasion, because I am in pageants, I am forced to use tons of hairspray, teasing, and use of heat.

I have never dyed my hair, but I have bleached it, which you can see on the ends. My last bleaching was in August of 2010.

I'm currently taking: "Hair, Skin, and Nails" vitamins, and "Loestrin 24 fe", which is a birth control pill.

I eat 2 pieces of peanut butter toast (wheat bread) every morning, I mostly skip lunch (but when I do I eat a Caesar salad), and for dinner I have whatever the family is having. My family is currently on a high-protein low-carb diet, so we usually have chicken, steaks, or eggs. I also eat LOTS of pistachio nuts. So Yummy :)

You talk about "straightening" and then claim no use of heat.

You talk that you're in pageants and "tease" your hair.

I am not aware of ways of straightening in the general care of hair care that doesn't involve some form of heat?

By straightening, are you perming it straight, or flat-ironing? This can produce volumes of damage, particularly white dots which is a complete breakdown of the hair's cuticle where the white dot is. Those who flat-iron to straighten often have volumes of white dots and hair breaking off, even if they also use serums and whatnot.

Teasing is a method of backcombing the hair such that it can be a bit more poofy or puffy in some specific area of the head, such as the top of the head, or for buns. This can produce volumes of tangles, and a fair amount of damage, as well, over time.

Use of some products, such as hair spray can also invoke problems because once hair is sprayed, it's relatively immobile and can't be combed through.

You're eating fine enough it appears to me. I think the core problem is how you're taking care of your hair, somehow. It's not a product problem per se, though. I think it's what you're doing to your hair to take care of it, your own manipulation and techniques.

I don't have to straighten my hair because I already have straight hair. But I would recommend never using a flat-iron technique. It causes damage, no way around it. I would never "tease" my hair, nor use hairspray more than once a year.

I'm kind of boring as it concerns hair care, but then I am also 51 and have fairly nice hair still.

It's just something that one learns, and prioritizes in their life. If you're after winning pageants, then you have to manipulate the hair a lot. Maybe once you're done with pageants, things will improve for you.

heidi w.

Euphoria.Dame
February 8th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I'm having this same problem, and I don't even use heat :(

heidi w.
February 8th, 2012, 02:10 PM

You're straightening twice a month. A month is only around 4 weeks long. That's a number of 24 times a year.

I have NO IDEA HOW you straighten your hair.

Former bleach damage takes a bit to get out of the hair. It has to slowly be cut out, it seems to me.

There's a book called Curly Girl which describes how to Condition Only hair wash. There's a companion Handbook. The author is Lorraine Massey. You might benefit from this book. One might be able to view it at a local library. It's typically not on bookstore shelves and needs to be special ordered. Devachan Salon is the salon and suite of products for those with curly hair. The inventor, Lorraine Massey, has super curly hair. She's very highly regarded as it concerns the care of curly tresses.

She invented low- and no-poo shampoos, meaning no use of sodium laureth or lauryl sulfates. Curls tend to do less well when sulfates are being used to wash the hair.

I would NOT recommend you sleep on a flannel pillowcase as a habit nor overly often. Only a smooth pillowcase such as satin, sateen, or polyester, the stuff they make parachutes out of. Even cotton is a bit rough on hair. OK, to have flannel sheets though.

Do you know how to detangle well? Do you brush or comb?

Today's salon hair care techniques are better than before, but they aren't necessarily the best for growing long hair and care of longer tresses.

heidi w.

heidi w.
February 8th, 2012, 02:12 PM
I additionally advocate that you find a "hair twin" and kind of copy their haircare routine, if you can.

I would be interested to see what your hair looks like when it's not straightened.

The photo you shared actually doesn't show overly damaged hair, and I presume is straightened hair?

heidi w.

Dreamers91
February 8th, 2012, 02:16 PM
You talk about "straightening" and then claim no use of heat.

By straightening, are you perming it straight, or flat-ironing?

I meant no heat other than straightening.
and
I am Flat-ironing

Dreamers91
February 8th, 2012, 02:18 PM
I additionally advocate that you find a "hair twin" and kind of copy their haircare routine, if you can.

I would be interested to see what your hair looks like when it's not straightened.

The photo you shared actually doesn't show overly damaged hair, and I presume is straightened hair?

heidi w.

The picture is without flat-ironing.

heidi w.
February 8th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Hair is an organic fiber, and much like lace. It requires quality care to be healthy. The youngest hair is closest the scalp skin. The oldest hair is at the hemline. A given hair strand can have many years of history in it ETA: as in my hair which is approximately 20 years old at the longest lengths. END ETA

Flat ironing is a heat method wherein one applies hot, flat surfaces to either side of the hair, usually. Topside and underside, and then allows the iron to heat up and impact the hair's texture.

Flat ironing often involves the use of "serums" which provide little protection from the heat applied, in truth.

Most who flat iron find their hair is overly fragile, breaks off relatively easily, has volumes of these white dots (once they look at their hair, if they can). White dots are a way that the hair was overheated and the outer layer of cuticle was burst, and in this way the hair strand is entirely compromised at that point. Hair far more easily breaks off at a white dot, leaving therefore a bit of damaged hair behind. Typically, those who flat iron can even notice hair breakage just by simply downstroking their hair with the hand and watching bits of hair flutter to the floor, or a volume of hair strand ends being in their hand.

We do not generally recommend overheating lace. The fabric becomes ruined. So does hair.

So, flat-ironing, and teasing and hair spray.

At some point, you just have to decide your priorities: healthy hair versus pageant wins?

You can apply all the conditioner you want and oil and whatnot, but your hair will continue to sustain the damage from these manipulations of the hair.

I'm trying to be nice and respectful of your choices, but at some point, it is what it is.

I would argue that former bleach damage is the least of your problems right now.

As long as you prioritize winning a given competition will mean that you will continue to be undoing yourself. Every long-haired person eventually makes a choice regarding their priorities in life. That's just how it is in life, in all things. We choose what we want.

I say stop the flat-ironing, teasing and hairspraying. Then things will get better within 6 mos. to a year's time. You have to allow time to grow and cut the damage out.

heidi w.

jeanniet
February 8th, 2012, 05:20 PM
If you have bleach damage on the ends of your hair (plus probably some heat/styling damage), you're going to see splits and breakage until it's all trimmed off. That's just how it is--babying it will make your ends look and feel better, but they'll still be damaged. Once that bleached bit is gone, you should see fewer splits, but you'll have to be as cautious as you can because of the styling you do.

The hardest part of growing hair out is getting rid of prior damage. You have to grow, trim, grow, trim...but once it's all gone, your hair will be in much better shape!

rakueru
February 8th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I'm having this same problem, and I don't even use heat :(

Ugh, me too! I don't know what to do! :mad:

cheetahfast
February 8th, 2012, 05:56 PM
I would suggest trying to straighten your hair in other natural ways. Yours is only wavy so it should work.
There is something called hair wrapping, that you might want to try.

When I straightened my hair it was always so dry. I also would have splits, cutting it all off helped so much! Now I have none, it has been over a year since my last trim.
I also don't use heat anymore.

Off topic but, by the way, Loestrin 24 fe is on shortage in some parts of the country so I would suggest trying to refill it a bit earlier than usual, if you can. I ended up going to a pharmacy 40 minutes away to get mine refilled. Some other members from here had no trouble though. Hopefully, you won't either. This happened to me about a month ago, so it might be better by now.

Dreamers91
February 8th, 2012, 05:59 PM
I would suggest trying to straighten your hair in other natural ways. Yours is only wavy so it should work.
There is something called hair wrapping, that you might want to try.

When I straightened my hair it was always so dry. I also would have splits, cutting it all off helped so much! Now I have none, it has been over a year since my last trim.
I also don't use heat anymore.

Off topic but, by the way, Loestrin 24 fe is on shortage in some parts of the country so I would suggest trying to refill it a bit earlier than usual, if you can. I ended up going to a pharmacy 40 minutes away to get mine refilled. Some other members from here had no trouble though. Hopefully, you won't either. This happened to me about a month ago, so it might be better by now.

Thanks for warning me! I get 3 month supplies at a time through Medco, so they are all mailed to my house. I'll definately call them and make sure everything will arrive on time :)

cheetahfast
February 8th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Thanks for warning me! I get 3 month supplies at a time through Medco, so they are all mailed to my house. I'll definately call them and make sure everything will arrive on time :)

That's cool! I get 3 months supply too, so I hope by the time I need more all is well.

ktani
February 8th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Hey everyone.
Lately I've become so frustrated with my ends. No matter how much I cut off, spits just keep coming back! I HATE SPLIT ENDS! :mad: It's gotten to the point of where I'd be in class, find one, and pull out my hair because I didn't have scissors (I have some at home, but can never find the splits at home!!). Please help :(

Last trim: Early December 2011.
Routine: In the shower I apply Sauve naturals conditioner to my ends, and then sauve naturals shampoo (diluted) to roots. I don't let the shampoo sit, I rinse almost immediately. I then apply 3 Minute Miracle to my ends (a little above my ears and down) and let it sit while i shave my legs (this is a good 5-10minutes), then rinse with cold (not freezing) water.
I do have to do horrible things to my hair on occasion, because I am in pageants, I am forced to use tons of hairspray, teasing, and use of heat. Afterwards I always remove the gunk ASAP and use Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition 3 minute updo.
I sleep anywhere from 7-9 hours a night.
I live in Florida, it is very hot here, and the sun is horrid. I burn easily, but I use Redken Color Extend Sun Sparkling Shield Leave-In Smoother (UVA/UVB protection).
Here's my hair, ignore the high bra, I had it rigged to push up my non-existant breasts, haha.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj117/gaiaangelz/11-11-11.jpg

Sorry for telling you my life-story, I just really want to figure out what is wrong with my hair!! :(

The pagents are every now and then and the heat styling is twice a month - that is where mechanical and heat damage is happening although a heat protector can help.

You are overloading your hair with product in an attempt to compensate for what the pagents and heat styling stress are causing on your previously bleached hair, in my opinion.

Understandable but what all of that is doing is making your hair drier and helping to give you so many split ends.

Do you need to give up all products and just use coconut oil? No.

Must you choose between the pagents and healthy hair? Not necessarily. Healthy hair is ideal but not if you have to sacrifice all pleasures and if you enjoy being in pagents, do so. If you cannot use more hair friendly methods at one, then you will be giving up having your hair as healthy as it could be. That is no hair sin. It is compromising.

That does not mean your hair cannot be healthier than it is now.

Start with removing all of the overload. Clarify your hair well. ETA:3 http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=224

If you want to do a coconut oil treatment, lightly oil your hair after clarifying, cover your hair while still damp and use a blow dryer on medium heat over the covering for 5 minutes.

You can conditioner only wash the oil out if necessary if what remains is too oily.

I suggest shampooing and conditioning when needed after that or conditioner only washing but clarify every so often and do not keep layering product on your hair in such quantity.

Yes, the flat ironing is drying but using too much product can be as well, especially when you are not removing it and using oil on top of it all.

Have a look at this thread too, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86298. It may help you rehydrate your hair.

ETA: This should have come first. Welcome (somewhat belatedly) to LHC.

You can do small trims to remove the bleach damage as you grow your hair longer.

And Good Luck!

ETA:2 There are other healthy hair tips you can use to in addition to what has been offered, seamless combs, silk or satin pillowcases (already suggested) and more on these boards.

jacqueline101
February 8th, 2012, 08:44 PM
I'd say maybe micro trims and dusting the ends and try less products.

BeckyAH
February 8th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Your hair is at the length mine was when it started splitting like mad. It was also the length when it started rubbing on chair-backs, getting caught under purse and backpack straps, rubbing against my sweaters (I wear a lot of wool), and getting caught in my bra straps and armpits.

So, if your hair is otherwise pretty resiliant - look for mechnical damage.