PDA

View Full Version : Dry Shampoo Causing Damage?

misspixie
February 7th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Since I have joined The Long Hair Community, I have cut down my hair washings to every two days. Since I was washing my hair everyday (cringe), my hair is in the transitioning phase of being overly oily. I am currently dwelling into the world of dry shampoos and it has had me thinking...

We avoid washing our hair so it can produce the natural oils but then we're drenching our hair in powders so they can be absorbed? Isn't this basically like washing our hair?

Also, do you ladies use dry shampoos or do you find that they're not necessary for your hair?

Starry_Eyed
February 7th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Sometimes I use dry shampoo, but if I feel like my hair doesn't look so oily, I skip it and go for a hair style that will conceal my less-than-perfect hair. I have used Frederick Fekkai dry shampoo, Shampowder, and my own at-home mix. (I also tried spray dry shampoo, but that usually has alcohol in it) My hair is fine and I can only stretch my washes every other day, but the dry shampoo isn't damaging for me - it helps save on the wear and tear of my ends. The Shampowder brand was nice because it was colored and so didn't show, but rather worthless for me insofar as absorbing the oil. The Frederick Fekkai dry shampoo powder was very absorbent and added volume and texture to my hair (!), but I found it cost prohibitive and the white powder shows up on my hair. (I've never been one to be able to brush enough out so you can't see the powder anymore) Now I use my own mixture from corn starch, flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and coco powder. I apply it with a big, old make up powder brush that I washed and use exclusively for this purpose.

Madora
February 7th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Since I have joined The Long Hair Community, I have cut down my hair washings to every two days. Since I was washing my hair everyday (cringe), my hair is in the transitioning phase of being overly oily. I am currently dwelling into the world of dry shampoos and it has had me thinking...

We avoid washing our hair so it can produce the natural oils but then we're drenching our hair in powders so they can be absorbed? Isn't this basically like washing our hair?

Also, do you ladies use dry shampoos or do you find that they're not necessary for your hair?

A dry shampoo cleans by means of friction and takes more hair manipulation to remove, which is not good for your hair on a regular basis.

If you wash your hair every day, over time the natural oil will be stripped from it, leaving it like hay.

If you're having trouble with oily hair, you might try putting a white cotton sock over your hairbrush and then brushing as usual. The sock will absorb some of the oil.

Personally speaking, part of stretching washes consists of washing the hair thoroughly..that is, using diluted shampoo over the length to get out surface dirt, rinsing thoroughly with warm water, then using diluted shampoo on the scalp and the scalp hair and massaging it in gently. That is followed by a warm rinse, then a diluted conditioner is applied and rinsed out.

I did this once a week..then gradually began stretching until I got to 4 weeks. This happened over a period of 4 months. Granted, my hair is not oily and I keep it brushed every day.

Successfully stretching washes can be helped by putting as little as possible on your hair between those washes and keeping the hair clean by brushing with clean brushes. There's not much point brushing your hair with a dirty hairbrush.

sarah061
February 7th, 2012, 08:31 PM
I use dry shampoo because I work out a lot and without it I would have to use harsh cleansing "regular" shampoos and using them that frequently would totally dry out my hair.

I don't think the dry shampoo is bad, or at least it doesn't seem to be for me, since it's basically just a powder that absorbs the sweat/oil. Totally different than washing with regular sulfate shampoos!

ktani
February 7th, 2012, 08:37 PM
A dry shampoo cleans by means of friction and takes more hair manipulation to remove, which is not good for your hair on a regular basis.

If you wash your hair every day, over time the natural oil will be stripped from it, leaving it like hay.

If you're having trouble with oily hair, you might try putting a white cotton sock over your hairbrush and then brushing as usual. The sock will absorb some of the oil.

Personally speaking, part of stretching washes consists of washing the hair thoroughly..that is, using diluted shampoo over the length to get out surface dirt, rinsing thoroughly with warm water, then using diluted shampoo on the scalp and the scalp hair and massaging it in gently. That is followed by a warm rinse, then a diluted conditioner is applied and rinsed out.

I did this once a week..then gradually began stretching until I got to 4 weeks. This happened over a period of 4 months. Granted, my hair is not oily and I keep it brushed every day.

Successfully stretching washes can be helped by putting as little as possible on your hair between those washes and keeping the hair clean by brushing with clean brushes. There's not much point brushing your hair with a dirty hairbrush.

I am not sure I get the friction part. Dry shampoos are removed by brushing in general. That is friction but - it depends as you know on how the brushing is done as to how much friction is created. If the hair is well detangled first there is much less friction created and the brush itself matters too.

Dry shampoos can be abrasive depending on the powder used. Talc itself is abrasive to a point. Starch can be too.

I agree that removing oil that is meant to lubricate the hair is not the greatest idea although sebum is limited in its ability to moisturize hair in all conditions.

You make sure that the sebum you produce does reach your ends to help lubricate and care for your hair with your boar bristle brush.

As to stetching washes, the idea of the sock on the hair brush is a good one but it should be a soft fiber sock as some fibers are abrasive too.

There is no way I know of to reduce the amount of oil the scalp produces. That is age and hormones. You can remove the oil and distribute it but it is produced from inside the scalp by the body.

ravenreed
February 7th, 2012, 08:54 PM
It only takes a couple of strokes to brush out a dry shampoo, much less than what would be required to distribute sebum with a BBB. I don't find dry shampoos damaging at all. In fact, I often get most of it out just by running my fingers through my hair.

The only problem I had with any thing like that was a volumizing powder that had silica in it. It made me shed something fierce, but I have a bad reaction to silica in make up too. It causes me to get cystic acne.

HollywoodRouge
February 7th, 2012, 11:30 PM
I feel like dry shampoo just makes my hair more fragile, i mean considering it is basically sucking all the moisture from your hair, it can't be good right? It might make hair more susceptible to splits, but i don't think it makes a huge difference.

MaryMarx
February 8th, 2012, 01:59 AM
I would have a hard time without dry schampoo. But I haven't noticed any damage, maybe it's because I use pretty small amounts, I don't even have to brush it out, just give the hair a small "finger shake". :)

Kitsu
February 8th, 2012, 02:16 AM
I have a dry shampoo with a push nozzle not an aerosol. It's made for dry hair and contains coco nut oil but its there for emergencies only

Tota
February 8th, 2012, 02:16 AM
I used to use it every week, to stretch washes. Now I'm afraid to because I read some posts here about friction, possible build-up and pore clogging. But sometimes there's no other way. I use it when I'm going somewhere and I have to look presentable (public appearances and so). I have blonette and very fine hair so my hair looks disgusting when oily - I cannot disguise it with an updo or a braid because it's just too obvious.

PorkChop
February 8th, 2012, 02:29 AM
I use it just on my fringe now in my inbetween days. I have a full fringe

LocustSpawning
February 8th, 2012, 03:58 AM
I use them regularly and have seen zero signs of damage! I think they're brilliant.