PDA

View Full Version : Different hair types on the same head!!!

HelloKitteh
February 7th, 2012, 04:55 PM
I'm posting this, without really knowing what to expect from it...

I'm new to the site (check my profile pic to see how new I am, hair looks baaaaad!!!) and I was wondering if anyone had the same issue:
I am about 1b/c on the top layer of my hair, and a definite 2c below (for the first 2 days after wash, after it's more 2b/2a), which is driving me crazy.
In addition I lost a lot of hair last year after a drastic diet that lacked some vitamins, so hair looks very scraggly. I'm hoping that things can get better with moisture and that my 1b/c top hair will become a bit wavy with some care - although all my youth I was a 1b. I have a long term illness and I think my hair changed because of it, but I want to make do with what I have right now!

I'd be interested to know if anyone has the same kind of issue as me, how they cope with it etc. with the least effort...

While I'm writing, I'm realising one thing actually. I cut my hair while wet, meaning that the hair below will always be shorter than the one at the top, and my hair will always look scraggly if I keep doing that, hair loss or not! I'll experiment with this at the next waxing moon (just cut yesterday). What are your thoughts about this?

If you remember another thread talking about this, please point me to it, I can't search with only 2 letter words, so no chance to find messages that mention 1c/2c at the same time!

spidermom
February 7th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I have crazy mixed-up hair, too. It's 1B-2C. It's fine, medium, and coarse. I have hairs of every possible color.
But that's o.k.

HelloKitteh
February 7th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I would expect anything from a food coloring tinted unicorn avatar adorning person! :p

I have crazy mixed-up hair, too. It's 1B-2C. It's fine, medium, and coarse. I have hairs of every possible color.
But that's o.k.

amantha
February 7th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I have this too. The top layer of my hair is probably like 2b/2c and the underneath is anywhere from 1a to 2a (depending on how long its been since I washed it). Most of my hair is fine, especially around my face, but I have lots of course wiry hairs too. You're not alone! :)

Pazita!
February 7th, 2012, 05:12 PM
I'm posting this, without really knowing what to expect from it...

I'm new to the site (check my profile pic to see how new I am, hair looks baaaaad!!!) and I was wondering if anyone had the same issue:
I am about 1b/c on the top layer of my hair, and a definite 2c below (for the first 2 days after wash, after it's more 2b/2a), which is driving me crazy.
In addition I lost a lot of hair last year after a drastic diet that lacked some vitamins, so hair looks very scraggly. I'm hoping that things can get better with moisture and that my 1b/c top hair will become a bit wavy with some care - although all my youth I was a 1b. I have a long term illness and I think my hair changed because of it, but I want to make do with what I have right now!

I'd be interested to know if anyone has the same kind of issue as me, how they cope with it etc. with the least effort...

While I'm writing, I'm realising one thing actually. I cut my hair while wet, meaning that the hair below will always be shorter than the one at the top, and my hair will always look scraggly if I keep doing that, hair loss or not! I'll experiment with this at the next waxing moon (just cut yesterday). What are your thoughts about this?

If you remember another thread talking about this, please point me to it, I can't search with only 2 letter words, so no chance to find messages that mention 1c/2c at the same time!

I don't have any illness but I experience the same thing as you, when I just wash my hair the top layer of my hair is 1b/1c and below 2a/2b. When my hair is oily or needs to be washed the top layer is 1a and below 1c. :) At first I didn't like my hair, but I learn to embrace it, and actually a lot of people like my hair.

Shebelina
February 7th, 2012, 05:12 PM
We have very similar hair types I think, my hair is all over the place sometimes. I found that as my hair got longer, the weight of it evened it all out to some extent. I'm fairly new to taking care of my hair also, and back when I was at BSL, I was straightening fairly regularly so that it all looked the same. I certainly wouldn't suggest doing this now that I know how much damage heat can cause.

I sleep in braids every night, so my hair is always in braid waves if I wear it down. Could this help you to even out the appearance?

jacqueline101
February 7th, 2012, 05:35 PM
I've always wondered about this my hair has gotten thicker in the last four years. Its changing colors.

ludwig20
February 7th, 2012, 07:51 PM
The majority of my hair strands are medium or coarse, but I've found a lot of fine hairs, too. Some strands are straight, and others are very wavy. This tends to make my hair look 1c on some days and 2b on others.

maborosi
February 7th, 2012, 08:45 PM
I have a majority of 1a/1b hairs...but then, I have one tiny little section that, since I was a little kid, was very, very kinky. It's probably at least a 1/c, maybe even curlier.

I have a pretty good mix of F/M hair. I don't think I actually have anything that would count as a C.

~maborosi~

Schrei777
February 7th, 2012, 09:03 PM
I literally have two different hair colors on my head if that counts lol. It's been like that my whole life.

Im growing out my hair but my roots are only about 2 inches long, but here is a pic from last month where you can see my two colored hair :):

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab291/jrmlover7/118.jpg

Part of it is dark ashy blonde and part is white blonde, very weird.

Schrei777
February 7th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Grrr, can someone tell me why no matter how small I resize my picture it still turns out huge when I post it?

Shebelina
February 8th, 2012, 03:50 AM
Schrei777: I get exactly the same thing, all my life. My natural hair is dark blonde with very pale blonde streaks down the front, I look like Rogue!

Aveyronnaise
February 8th, 2012, 04:06 AM
My canopy is medium and 1C and the underneath graduates from medium to fine and is 2B I wish I could get my freaking canopy to curl.
It's annoying it's a tiny part of my canopy and it covers up all the cute wavy part, grr.

Schrei777
February 8th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Schrei777: I get exactly the same thing, all my life. My natural hair is dark blonde with very pale blonde streaks down the front, I look like Rogue!

Your so lucky! Ive always wished mine was in the front like Rogues because it looks so pretty. But alas mine is plopped randomly in the back in a huge chunk rather than in streaks lol.

HelloKitteh
February 8th, 2012, 07:32 AM
My canopy is medium and 1C and the underneath graduates from medium to fine and is 2B I wish I could get my freaking canopy to curl.
It's annoying it's a tiny part of my canopy and it covers up all the cute wavy part, grr.
Yep, isn't it lol! I used to make this romantic bun where most of the hair would be in the bun, and some of the hair from the bottom I'd let stick out. People never believed I hadn't used curling irons! That's the only hair style that's worked so far...

I sleep in braids every night, so my hair is always in braid waves if I wear it down. Could this help you to even out the appearance?
Yep, I used to do this years ago, and it is time for me to do it again, it does help a bit.
I actually sometimes would only braid the curly bottom hair in a loose braid letting the top dry its own way! :pray:

HelloKitteh
February 8th, 2012, 07:50 AM
I literally have two different hair colors on my head if that counts lol. It's been like that my whole life.

Part of it is dark ashy blonde and part is white blonde, very weird.
LOL that's an annoying one as well!

For your picture size, I don't know why you think it's resized, because it's over a thousand pixels large, and the forum software doesn't seem to resize it much if at all. You would want to physically resize the picture to 300 or 400 large. I.e. image properties on your computer before you upload should give you that kind of size.

1nuitblanche
February 8th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Hey! I have straight 1c hair on top and 2c ringlets on the bottom. It is my main hair pet peeve. There used to be another thread on this.

Schrei777
February 8th, 2012, 09:26 AM
LOL that's an annoying one as well!

For your picture size, I don't know why you think it's resized, because it's over a thousand pixels large, and the forum software doesn't seem to resize it much if at all. You would want to physically resize the picture to 300 or 400 large. I.e. image properties on your computer before you upload should give you that kind of size.

Thanks :). I did resize it in my picture manager which usually works but it didn't this time. Maybe I didn't save it? Oh well.

Shebelina
February 8th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks Schrei777. Unfortunately, I gave into peer pressure years ago and dyed it all blonde. It would take me forever to grow it out, and because of the streaks I can't just dye it closer to my natural colour. :(

HelloKitteh that's a good idea, you will have to figure out a way to stop the top half from getting all tangled though.

gracenotes
February 8th, 2012, 01:13 PM
My hair ranges from F to M to C, and I have yet to figure out a hairtype because I have some straightish strands, some wavy strands, and some defined spiral curls. My hair is also thinner on one side than the other--has been all my life! If I want to divide it in half evenly, the part has to be asymmetrical. Silly hair!

elbow chic
February 8th, 2012, 01:22 PM
oh, yeah, my canopy is much straighter than my underlayer. Also different shades-- the canopy is very, very blonde, the underlayer is also blonde but more of a dignified shade.

Wearing it down makes it look WILD AND BUSHY. Like... Viking-cavewoman-on-a-bender or something. So I section off the canopy and braid it, and wear the rest of it down. That looks better. Layering also helps me, but I don't want to mess with keeping up layers any more.

You'll figure out something that works for you!

Cool picture, Schrei!

turtlelover
February 8th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I think the right kind of layering can do WONDERS when the top layers are straighter than the underside of the hair. My stepdaughter has this issue, and I just layered her hair the other day, and it falls soooooo much nicer now than when blunt cut.

Schrei777
February 8th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Thanks Schrei777. Unfortunately, I gave into peer pressure years ago and dyed it all blonde. It would take me forever to grow it out, and because of the streaks I can't just dye it closer to my natural colour. :(

I totally feel your pain. My head is looking like a bowl of Noepolitan ice cream right now with the 3 different colors. And I can't dye the pink to match because it's to bright to cover and my hair is too odd to match. But I'm going to rock it anyway because I'm determined to have my natural hair again after dying it for so long. If you decide to grow yours out let me know, we can suffer the horrible three tone color together :D

And thanks elbow chic! :)

bubblyredhead
February 9th, 2012, 05:01 AM
I have f/m/c my fine hairs are my blonde hairs ( thanks dad) my medium hairs are a comb of my mothers and fathers hair and my C hairs are my deep copper red hair like my moms that can take a beating sadly most of my fine hairs are on my top layer and that layer is a 1c/2a and the rest is a 1a/1b. BUT I am not as nice to my hair as most on the boards I chase away the random wave/curl with a blow dryer and maybe a flat iron depending on how annoyed i am that day

diamantenstaub
February 9th, 2012, 05:31 AM
My hair is usually pretty strong and thick - I'd say M and C - not really fine. Though I do have straight ones at the top and all the others are mixed - wavy and curly. I have got lots of little ringlets on the bottom and lots of S-waves on the top and in the middle. So it's all mixed together! :p

Shebelina
February 9th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I totally feel your pain. My head is looking like a bowl of Noepolitan ice cream right now with the 3 different colors. And I can't dye the pink to match because it's to bright to cover and my hair is too odd to match. But I'm going to rock it anyway because I'm determined to have my natural hair again after dying it for so long. If you decide to grow yours out let me know, we can suffer the horrible three tone color together

Loving the description! It will probably look very cool once the virgin hair grows a bit. I will definitely let you know if I decide to grow mine out too, DBF keeps mentioning I should grow it out, so the idea is firmly wedged into my brain :D

HelloKitteh
February 12th, 2012, 09:42 AM
HelloKitteh that's a good idea, you will have to figure out a way to stop the top half from getting all tangled though.
Well even though I did the underlayer braids very loose, I still looked like a puffball, so this previous attempt was a fail.
Shebelina, I'm lucky enough that as long as I detangle when wet, I do not have any tangle issues with the straight portion :D

I have been trying something I tried years ago, but I may have had more resolve this time... I've used those huge velcro rollers after washing my hair again, decided to put them on my whole head rather than just in the underlayers, and it's worked quite well today, as I don't have puffy hair 2 hours after washing, and in some way to straightness of the top layers reminds me of last time I went to the hairdresser's!! I would put a picture up of before/after, but strangely I don't seem to get a picture where my hair doesn't look greasy, scraggly and generally ugly, not sure what I'm doing wrong, my hair doesn't look *that* bad...

http://www.hairworldsuperstore.com/ekmps/shops/wholesalonsale/images/velcro-rollers-210-p.jpg

I think the right kind of layering can do WONDERS when the top layers are straighter than the underside of the hair. My stepdaughter has this issue, and I just layered her hair the other day, and it falls soooooo much nicer now than when blunt cut.
Would you mind explaining how this would be done please? I had my own idea about that, but my method would not extend to the next growth - i.e. once hair has grown it's not as easy to repeat the same process.

Vintagecoilylocks
February 13th, 2012, 06:12 PM
This has hindered growth all my life because I did not realize the imporatance of it. I have a 4a wiry fringe and canopy gradually changing to 3c to the next under layers then to a 2c fine wispy iin the rear lower layer nape. For years that lower area was short tapered and always knotting and tangling mess. Since my hair journey began in earnest in 2002 I began to isolate the areas and learned I have to treat them differently. Its been a long learning curve. My nape and lower layers are now the longest reaching BCL - TBL while my canopy is trailing fromSHL to Hip. I have just perfected my own recipes of natural products to deal with the different areas. It is impossible for me to use the same product on my entire head which is what I tried to do for years. I am seeing improvement and hope to see growth of the canopy as a response. Time will now tell.:cool:

Shebelina
February 13th, 2012, 06:23 PM
HelloKitteh I would love to see some photos if you can. I tried those velcro rollers a while back, but they just seem to tangle in my hair, I am not so lucky when it comes to tangles :D

HelloKitteh
February 14th, 2012, 05:57 AM
HelloKitteh I would love to see some photos if you can. I tried those velcro rollers a while back, but they just seem to tangle in my hair, I am not so lucky when it comes to tangles :D
Yes my hair got tangled even with a short length compared to yours (BSL). I just had to pull slowly not to hurt the hair, and detangle with my fingers, but my hair are easy going once straight, so that wasn't a big issue.
However, what is important here was the size of the rollers. I used velcro ones because I'm a hair idiot and I needed something easy to put on, and big enough.
Could we find big size foam rollers instead? Or any big (perforated, for quicker drying) tube in DIY stores? It would do the same job without tangling.
Pictures wise, I took some but my hair itself looks really bad and greasy on pictures at the moment, and I'm worried that would put everyone off! I can only say that the next morning my hair felt still as slick as if I'd been to the hairdresser's the day before to get a proper blowdry. Couldn't stop touching it!

This has hindered growth all my life because I did not realize the importance of it. [...] It is impossible for me to use the same product on my entire head which is what I tried to do for years. I am seeing improvement and hope to see growth of the canopy as a response. Time will now tell.:cool:
That is a very good and interesting point. So far, I have been oiling the lower hair much more hoping that it would change texture, but I'm too much of a beginner to have found out what works well with my hair - even though the improvement in 2 weeks is enough to have solved my biggest issues. I will keep your idea in mind once I've found the right routine for one part or the other!!
In which way do you think your hair routine would improve the growth? Do you mean that your hair would break less?

Moonlake
February 14th, 2012, 06:25 AM