PDA

View Full Version : Time to dye back to natural...suggestions?

GoldberryHair
February 7th, 2012, 12:57 PM
So it's about time to dye my hair back to its natural colour, as there is about almost an inch of root showing and it's beginning to look tacky, and I miss my old hair. SO, that being said, I'm going to go to Sallys to get the dye, (I'm going to do permanent), but I'd like suggestions of brands, and pehaps a color or something if anyone has experience if they darken or lighthen more than others...after perusing the site a little so far I'm looking at

Ion brand in Medium Golden Blonde

http://s7d3.scene7.com/is/image/SallyBeauty/SBS-305365?wid=225&hei=225&fmt=jpeg,rgb&qlt=85,1&op_sharpen=1&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.9,1.0,4,0&iccEmbed=0

Suggestions are welcomed :)

FYI for anyone that doesn't know, I bleached my hair about a month ago, and I'm going back to my natural colour now.

Synnovea
February 7th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Since you're trying to get closest to your natural hair color, are you sure you want to go permanent on your first try? Maybe try the semi-permanent first to see if it yields the results you're looking for so that you're not locked into further commitment you don't want.

GoldberryHair
February 7th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Since you're trying to get closest to your natural hair color, are you sure you want to go permanent on your first try? Maybe try the semi-permanent first to see if it yields the results you're looking for so that you're not locked into further commitment you don't want.

True, but how fast would it fade out, and I don't want to spend tons of money

Jessykins
February 7th, 2012, 01:08 PM
well its just to see if its the right shade, better than it being permanent then lightening it :)
i used colour b4 on my hair to get some of the build up of dye out so you might want to see if it works for lighter hair

Long_hair_bear
February 7th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Go to a professional..... That's my suggestion. I'm thankful I did when I had to dye my hair back natural. :)

sfgirl
February 7th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I think it's a good idea, but you should know bleached hair does not hold color well. I took my mom years to finally get dark dye to stick to her old highlights, they kept fading back.
If you can, to keep the dye in as long as possible, avoid washing and wash in cold water. You basically need to treat your hair like you colored it with manic panic.

Lissandria
February 7th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Go to a professional..... That's my suggestion. I'm thankful I did when I had to dye my hair back natural. :)

This exactly. Boxed dyes have a large amount of strong developer that could cause unnecessary damage to your hair. Also because bleached hair doesn't hold colour well, if you do it yourself you may spend more money trying to redo it or fix it if it all goes wrong.

ladonna
February 7th, 2012, 02:52 PM
I like to highlight then when I'm bored with that I go back to my natural color. When going back to my natural color I pick a dye that's a couple shades darker than my root's, then when it fades the color is the same or pretty close to my natural color, I have dark brown hair so I don't know how this would work with light colored hair.

GoldberryHair
February 7th, 2012, 08:08 PM

With my length it would cost so much money and I'm really tight on cash right now :(

BritHair
February 8th, 2012, 05:56 AM

I too think a semi permanent would be your best bet. I used to highlight my dark brown hair and decided to go back to my natural hair color. I used a clairol semi permanent color and was pleased. It lasted 28 washes, which for me lasted a long time as I wash my hair every 1-1 1/2 weeks ;) Now I will follow with staining verses dyes.

Firefly
February 8th, 2012, 06:54 AM
I went through this several years ago when I wanted to go back to natural from previously heavily highlighted hair-- what a nightmare it was! I found that semi-permanent dyes still lift color out of the hair, and because my hair did not hold color well because of the damage, the color would fade and once again leave me with hair that was lighter than my natural color! It was a never ending cycle. So, although it was a major PIA, I started using a deposit only color-- Loving Care-- on the ends as they grew out. It worked well; I had to use it about twice a month (because again, the color faded so fast), but since it was a cheap drugstore brand I wasn't spending a lot of money. Good luck and HTH!