PDA

View Full Version : Home made leave in conditioner?

cuties
February 7th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I am planning to make a leave in conditioner for myself and my 3 year old daughter, in a spray kinda format. I read one recipe like 1 part conditioner, 1/2 part coconut oil and rest water. Anyone tried it? Any other simple recipes. I would like to keep it as natural as possible.

heidi w.
February 7th, 2012, 12:28 PM
If you're interested in making homemade recipes for conditioner and shampoo and such, I recommend Naturally Health Hair, by Mary Beth Janssen.

She approaches hair care with Ayurvedic principles, which she outlines in this book, in the beginning. Her book includes information on how hair grows, the middle section is piles of home recipes for rinses, conditioner, shampoos, and the end is about styling hair.

It's a good basic book to have in a longhair library.

http://www.amazon.com/Naturally-Healthy-Hair-Treatments-Fabulous/dp/158017129X

So you can see what the cover looks like. This book is typically not in bookstores but instead needs to be ordered. It MIGHT be in libraries, though.

I worry that this concoction you're thinking of might weigh down a young child's head of hair. That's a possibility.

heidi w.

*Aneles*
February 7th, 2012, 12:33 PM
you can use different oils in water.

jaquelines
February 7th, 2012, 12:52 PM
I use egg shampoo - two whole eggs, yoghurt, amla and shikakai, a bit of honey and ACV, mix them in a shaker, leave it on the hair for 10 min, good rinse. I don`t have any recipes for leave-ins. would be interested as well. it gets tricky because some people use for ex. oil on their ends as a leave-in with great results. my hair hates oil as a leave in.

sorry just realized this is for a kid. than you can use only one egg, a bit of amla and shikakai and...well..just a bit of everything. i have a friend who has been washing her hair only with this mixture ( except the amla and shikakai , this is something that I personally add ) since she was a kid and she has wonderful hair.

bouclée
February 8th, 2012, 04:42 AM
A very simple leave-in I often use is a mix of aloe vera gel and argan oil (or other oil). You might want to try various ratios (half-half, one third oil-two thirds aloe vera gel...) to see what yours and your daughter's hair likes most. I usually just mix AVG and oil in my hand and apply on the ends/lengths, but once you have found what ratio you like most, you can prepare some mix in advance and shake before use (I would not recommend a spray bottle though, because the mix might be too thick because of the AVG).

Lucky
February 8th, 2012, 07:09 AM
The one I use for my daughter is very simple, I just take a cheap (silicone free) conditioner and mix 2c conditioner with 1/4c water and put it in a spray bottle. You can use more or less water, depending on the consistency you want, but that particular ratio works well for my daughter's fine, curly hair (she's 2 years old)

You could use the conditioner of your choice, of course, something with natural ingredients to keep things as natural as possible.

It looks like the lovely members here are already giving a lot of good suggestions too - hope you find something that suits you! :)