PDA

View Full Version : Protection from Sea Water and Chlorine

Artsygirl71
February 7th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Hi -
What can be used on hair prior to going in the ocean or in a pool to protect it? As a rule I try not to get my hair wet at all, but it doesn't always work out that way. Splashing ect.....it ends up getting wet. Any thoughts or suggestions? I used an SPF spray for hair when I go to the beach, but not sure that is the best protection from sea water.:cool:

littleizz
February 7th, 2012, 07:52 AM
I wouldn't worry to much about the sea salt. Yes, too much salt can be drying, but a lot of people love the way their hair behaves after swimming in the ocean. There was actually a thread on here about someone liking the way their hair looked after working out because of the salt in their sweat! Salt is used in water softeners, too, so I would vote that as long as you make sure you condition afterwards, you shouldn't stress yourself to avoid that unless you're in it like, everyday :)

The CHLORINE, though... ungh... I'm hardly ever in a pool, but when I am I find the nearest source of clean water and rinse immediately. I'd like to see how people go about protecting their hair other than swim caps - maybe a good dose of oil beforehand, but I'm scared to think of what the pool would look like if everyone decided to slather oil in their hair beforehand! I'll be watching this :)

Artsygirl71
February 7th, 2012, 08:46 AM
I wouldn't worry to much about the sea salt. Yes, too much salt can be drying, but a lot of people love the way their hair behaves after swimming in the ocean. There was actually a thread on here about someone liking the way their hair looked after working out because of the salt in their sweat! Salt is used in water softeners, too, so I would vote that as long as you make sure you condition afterwards, you shouldn't stress yourself to avoid that unless you're in it like, everyday :)

The CHLORINE, though... ungh... I'm hardly ever in a pool, but when I am I find the nearest source of clean water and rinse immediately. I'd like to see how people go about protecting their hair other than swim caps - maybe a good dose of oil beforehand, but I'm scared to think of what the pool would look like if everyone decided to slather oil in their hair beforehand! I'll be watching this :)

Ok, I found something on Youtube.... Club Soda and leave-in conditioner...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6JA3c2k_qc

ktani
February 7th, 2012, 08:57 AM
That is here too, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=115

naturally yours
February 7th, 2012, 09:56 AM
If you want to protect your hair from chlorine or ocean water. Before you go to the ocean or get in a pool wet your hair and leave some conditioner in it. The conditioner will provide a protective barrier and prevent too much chlorine or salt water being asorbed in hair. After you come back from the ocean/pool wash your hair with moisturising shampoo and condition as soon as possible.

Teao_the_cat
February 7th, 2012, 10:11 AM
I oil my hair before swimming in a chlorinated pool, braid it up and always wear a swimming cap. You can get special ones for long hair that have a larger top to fit all the hair into. I usually slather my hair in conditioner afterwards and leave it fro an hour or so before rinsing it off.

Madora
February 7th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Dr. George Michael suggested using undiluted creme rinse through your hair before swimming.

Afterwards, just rinse it off with plain tap water and reapply some creme rinse.

WaimeaWahine
February 7th, 2012, 05:21 PM
I swim several times a week. Oil a lot before then CO only afterwards. The salt content will be different depending on the sea water where you go to the beach. Sea water completely strips my hair of moisture.

melusine963
February 10th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Huh. I haven't actually been swimming (sea or pool) in over 5 years, before my long hair journey truly began, so I've never had to think about this before. Thanks for all the advice everyone, I'll put it to good use sooner or later :)