PDA

View Full Version : Coffee natural dye on blonde?

mzBANGBANG
February 6th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I tried searching and couldn't find any posts (if you know of one, please link me!). Since my ends are pretty light I was thinking about getting a golden hue with a coffee rinse.

How do I go about doing this? Does anyone have any before and after pics? Also, how long does it last? I'm just looking for a tiny change and hope it would wash out in a few weeks.

Any other at home tips for a blonde that wants to be more golden? :)

mzBANGBANG
February 6th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Figured I'd reply that I tried it with a medium roast. After some online research, I read that it could have drastic effects on light blonde hair so I only left it on for about 5 minutes. It barely tinted it, but that's kind of the idea I was going for (didn't want drastic anything and was worried it would go completely brown!). It seemed to calm down my ends a bit. I used conditioner in it at the same time and blow fried my hair for the first time in a couple months. I like it! I'm sure only I can tell the difference. I think I should have left it on for at least 10 minutes, maybe even 15, but I'm glad it didn't ruin my hair. :)

maborosi
February 7th, 2012, 01:40 PM
That's good it worked for you! :D I used to dance with the idea of coffee rinses in an alternative to dyeing my hair dark, alas, I've heard it really doesn't tint very dark.

As far as golden tones go, cassia is supposed to help enhance them, and imparts a subtle color change (unless your hair is like white-blonde) for people with blonde hair. It also conditions and imparts shine, but the effect is not as long as with henna (which...well, unless you want red hair...).

Chamomile is another one. My mom's sister used to use a chamomile tea rinse in lieu of coloring her hair when she was younger. That's another good one. Some people also say it can lighten hair naturally, but idk if that's true, esp. for people with really dark hair.

You can mix the two together, too.

Hope I helped.

~maborosi~

mzBANGBANG
February 7th, 2012, 07:52 PM
I'll have to try the cassia! I've been curious about it but didn't want it too make my hair too dark.

Day 2 update: my hair is extremely dry! Uggghhh. I just shampooed and conditioned... put my hair up to dry 50% hoping it would feel smooth once I took it down. Nope. Applied some leave-in conditioner. Nope.

So, I probably won't be doing the coffee method again.

WaitingSoLong
February 8th, 2012, 06:00 AM
I tried a coffee rinse once. The difference was barely noticeable and it washed out the next time I washed my hair.

ktani
February 8th, 2012, 06:42 AM
There were several coffee threads a while back, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=1126228&postcount=3
You may find some useful info in them.

Search keywords for here - coffee darkens hair

mzBANGBANG
February 8th, 2012, 08:19 AM
I tried a coffee rinse once. The difference was barely noticeable and it washed out the next time I washed my hair.

Basically what I am noticing. The cons didn't outweigh the pros for me. I did use a medium roast and only for about 5 minutes, because I was scared, lol. Maybe I'll try the cassia for a more golden appearance, but again I am pretty scared about dealing with roots. I hate hair color upkeep. I wouldn't be in this position if it wasn't for it!