PDA

View Full Version : How damaging are curling irons?

lillikins
February 6th, 2012, 01:45 PM
I mean, I'm well aware that any type of heat causes damage, but I was just wondering how much putting a few curls in random places throughout my hair like once a week would hurt it. Does anyone know?

Maelyssa
February 6th, 2012, 01:59 PM
I look at it this way, put that curling iron tonyiurnskin for a minute or two then tell me what happens. You're doing that to your hair except your hair does not have the ability to heal and recover. I used to use either a curling iron or straightener once or twice a week for a year. The damage resulted in hip length hair being chopped to shoulder.

I hope that gives you a realistic idea.

Madora
February 6th, 2012, 02:01 PM
I'd try another method to achieve your purpose. Curling irons are not hair friendly.

embee
February 6th, 2012, 03:10 PM
As long as the curling iron is unplugged and cold .... ;)

Or being used on short bangs.

Phalaenopsis
February 6th, 2012, 03:13 PM
I wouldn't do it. A friend of mine thought the same and after a while she had to admit it damaged her hair, because suddenly she got really velcro-y ends.

C_Bookworm
February 6th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Really, really bad. Especially is you have damaged or fine hair to start with. Can you do sock curls instead?

white.chocolate
February 6th, 2012, 03:25 PM
It's the same - you'll just do damage to your hair with that kind of heat. If you want to protect your hair, I suggest against it. There are other methods without using heat to achieve curls, so a curling iron isn't your best option, I would say.

kidari
February 6th, 2012, 03:25 PM
I used a curling iron daily and also had to chop my hair to my chin because of the damage. It caught up to me after a couple years of doing this. At first it didn't seem harmful at all then I noticed that my hair didn't look good unless I used a curling iron on it. After more time passed it just looked so horrible and it was so unmanageable I just cut it all off.

jacqueline101
February 6th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Its damaging and if you're going to use a curling iron I'd suggest using a heat protector.

einna
February 6th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Yes, it causes damage. It is up to you how far you are willing to go in your hair care regimen and how long you want your hair to grow. Everyones hair is different, and can manage different amounts of damage.

Try to search here and on youtube for no heat curling methods. There are many ways to curl your hair without using heat, sock bun curls, rag curls, rollers etc.

Kira94
February 7th, 2012, 02:41 AM
Why not try a couple of pincurls instead? Gives pretty much the same effect. :)

Avital88
February 7th, 2012, 02:45 AM
it will hurt your hair a lot after a while!! try youtube for cocoon curls, theyre just as lovely and without heat

Bagginslover
February 7th, 2012, 07:48 AM
I know its very damaging, but personally, for special occasions (once a month at most!) I will be using my curling irons or straightners.
I am babying my hair all the time now, but if I can't then enjoy it, I don't see the point. To me, enjoying it involves being able to style it the way I want to, heat or no.
So I am going to contunue to use my heat styling tools, just less frequently.

lunalocks
February 12th, 2012, 02:30 PM
this is my method of curling. I do this maybe once a month, and I baby my hair the rest of the time, and s and d and so far my ends are in pretty good shape.

I use tubes, the foam tubes, moisten the hair and roll them up. I use no product. Slept on overnight, by morning there are curls.
But if I want curls in a pinch, I will roll up after dampening. Then I will apply a HEAT PACK to my curls. I made this out of thick cotton filled with raw organic brown rice. I heat it in the microwave for 3 min. I wrap this around the hair in tubes and hold in place for 5 or 10 min. and then move on to some other curlers. I may reheat the bag 2 to 3 times. Rolling up takes 10 min, holding the heat takes 20 to 30 min, then I have curls. The heat from the pack is not as hot as a curling iron or hair dryer.

spidermom
February 12th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Fine hair? Don't do it! There are other ways to get curls.
I've read good reviews about the Caruso curler set, which uses heat, but not as intense.