PDA

View Full Version : Growing out "thinned-out" hair

Tangles
July 17th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I just remembered that my spring "chop", which was just above shoulder length, was thinned out slightly by my stylist.
I've been growing with no trims for nearly three months.
The stylist thinned just a tiny bit around the base of my head to prevent my hair from poofing out there.

My question is when will this thickness begin growing back in? I haven't noticed a change yet.

On a different note I was wondering if any of you with really long wavy hair have it thinned out regularly to make it more manageable.
Doesn't sound like orthodox LHC to me but I was curious ;)

Speedbump
July 17th, 2008, 08:31 PM
I am a true curly, and my experience with "thinning out" was terrible. The more your hair bends, the worse thinning shears are for your hair's natural wave/curl formation. That can create Alfalfa Hair :lol: or it can just make your hair go all over the place because the hair's natural formations are disrupted.

The thickness will take a while depending on how short the stylist cut the hairs. If he/she cut them as short as mine did, then it's going to be a while.

Also, cutting some of the hair short to prevent poofing just prolongs your pain. The best way to get rid of poof when you are growing it to wait for your hair's weight to remove it. You can also make sure it's very moisturized; that reduces poofing as well.

HTH!

Speedy

tiny_teesha
July 18th, 2008, 02:58 AM
I have thinned out hair from ruining it basically from dye, bleach, bad car etc.
Now i am growing it out, i have a distinct thick tuft of baby hair that is just grazing my sholder after not useing hair dye for 1 year and 7 months! WOOT!
When your hair gets longer most likely it will naturally taper and you won't need to "thin it out" with layers or anything. It also depends what look you are after- i LOVE triangle head....not many do...i LOVE it. And i don't have it :( lol
Looking at your ii/iii hair you probably will get a good thickness- but my advice is to not thin it out, hair looks better fuller! :)

liseling
July 18th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Oh tangles, you didnt! I've had lots of stylists offer to 'thin' my hair. But it's just a short-term solution. It's the equivalent of wanting your braid tassel to look perfect one day and trimming it into the right shape. Sure it'll look great for that day, but as soon as you take your braid out you realize that it's created a problem for the rest of your hair.
Basically all thinning is is cutting a lot of interspersed hairs shorter than the rest. I would think that this would just result in hairs that stick out and make the surface of the length look fuzzy. Also, as the length of the hair increases, your hair will naturally get thinner (whether it just looks thinner or it actually is thinner I dont know) and the part that was thinned by the hairdresser will start looking stringy.
regarding your question, the thickness will grow back as fast as your hair grows. It might be quite a while till all the hairs are the same length again though, unless you eventually even it up by trimming off the ends of your hair (the part that was 'thinned').

toodramatik
July 18th, 2008, 07:07 PM
It took mine about six months. Drove me mad. I used to always wish for thinner hair.. Then when I got it..

The grass is always greener :(

Riot Crrl
July 18th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Lol, the other curlies already weighed in I see. Thinning shears = curl kryptonite.

SweetPea88
July 18th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Bleh, I made the mistake of doing this when I got my hair cut last summer. Now I'm stuck in the process of growing out layers plus the thinned out sections.

Cinnamon.locks
July 18th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I haven't done it myself but in 1993 a friend of mine thinned out her hair because she has thick as heck black straight hair, she complained the ends stuck her like razors, that they never really grew in, she had to actually cut her BSL hair back up to shoulder length to cut all the thinning out, she was not happy at all.

Another experience from another friend, this one has sheep curly hair, dark brown and she thinned it out, even thought she has very little and very fine hair. she was not very happy with the results, told me her curls suddenly looked crooked and bent, not nice looking. she finally cut her hair from almost waist to shoulder and straightened it out chemically. not a pretty sight.

Just sharing my knowledge of what i've heard about thinning hair out by a stylist. HTH.

Tangles
July 18th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Ouch, cinnamonlocks. Luckily my thinning was pretty minimal, though I'm noticing there's a gap between my waves in one section of my hair.
I'm hoping I can just get away with it.

Periwinkle
July 19th, 2008, 04:23 AM
That's me!

I have hair that is beyond thick and I've pretty much always thinned it out. I'm not sure when my last thin was, because I bought some thinning scissors (observe the level of my addiction) and had a friend do it for me, though it was probably sometime towards the end of last year.

The difference from thinning is nothing like the difference from my layers, which I'm also growing out (my chain of thought has always been 'I'll get it layered and thinned and then I'll wear it down!', forgetting that (a) my hair drives me mad when it's down and (b) layers look dreadful with my wavy hair). With the layers, there's huge lines of thinning. With the thinning, though, it's not really noticeable unless you run your hands through my hair. The first couple of inches at the roots are much, much thicker (and I have super-thick hair already! eek!) than the rest and also look much shinier and healthier, but I wear my hair up all the time so fortunately it looks a bit like all my hair is like that as the nice bits cover my scalp.

suicides_eve
July 19th, 2008, 03:18 PM
oh i i did this to my self about a year ago. I only did about 4 inches of hair and it has taken 3 major trims and one year to get my natural flow/thickness back

rrborn
July 24th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Good grief, I will get up and run the next time someone whips out the thinning shears on me. In the past 4 years, I have let 3 different stylists talk me into thinning.

The first time was when I got the infamous pixie. The stylist spent 2 hours thinning my hair to get my pixie to be cute. It was awesome till about two months late when I was a big thick mushroom head. Now that my hair is long, my poor ends look scraggly compared to all the thickness above. It can take a while to undo that damage.

burns_erin
July 24th, 2008, 03:20 PM
My sister has very thick (like I could not get both hands around her pony tail before she started thinning) and curly hair. She both thins and keeps layers, she does this regularly, but she is not keeping especially long hair because of her job.

http://a855.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/38/m_15705e30dc6ef4992ca5d380a9f9ad9e.jpg
Before henna
http://a222.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/34/m_4eda95daf194a562932e4e040fd2c4f5.jpg
After Henna

On her it seems to work, and when she kept it longer she did have to do alot more management and maintainence to keep the ends from getting too straggly. Although now that she has hennaed and it is not so curly she is planning to trim without thinning for a bit.

Tangles
July 24th, 2008, 03:56 PM
That's why I'm upset; because my hair is really only a little bit thick. The only reason I had it thinned at all is because I was wearing it at a shorter length. I realize this may mean more taper later on. Luckily, taper suits me.

renarok
July 24th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I have to put my 2 cents in here because I would have lost my mind and cut about 10 inches off my hair if not for the skilled use of thinning shears. I grew my hair out from a heavily layered style. When my hair was about 26 inches long I had a large layer that looked like a ledge, or a lump in the back. I could have cut to that length and started over.... instead my stylist thinned out the thickest layer and it improved it 1000 percent. I still have micro trims of the layers about every 8 weeks. I just took off 3 inches off the bottom to maintain a thick hemline it kind of made me sad to lose the length but I want blunt ends.