PDA

View Full Version : My cat thinks my hair is a toy

Artsygirl71
February 6th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Hey there,
Just wondering if this happens to anyone else.....

Almost daily, my cat goes after my hair. If I am sitting with the cat on my lap and I turn my head (causing my hair to move)......she'll go after the ends. Most of the time, she go after my hair while I am sleeping. She'll sink her claws into the pillow want to play.... It's doesn't bother me too much....she's an awesome cat.

joflakes
February 6th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Haha. That's quite funny but make sure she's not damaging your hair in your sleep! My hair is too short to be chased after. Still growing out from a pixie cut!

rock007junkie
February 6th, 2012, 12:56 PM
This is the stituation I have with my son now which is why I never leave my hair down at home except when it's drying. Whenever he says my hair he starts pulling it and slapping it or starts combing it with one of his toy trucks.

sbhonda
February 6th, 2012, 01:20 PM
One of my cats loves licking hair. My dad encourages it because it cracks him up, even though after a while she'll start using her claws to hold your head in place. But sometimes she'll get up on back of our armchair while I'm sitting in it and try doing it to me, which I think is funny, but I don't want her to do it. Scratchy cat tongues can't be good for hair.

Tota
February 6th, 2012, 01:37 PM
My cat doesn't pay much attention to my hair most of the time. But he gets all crazy with my bun in the morning when he decides that I need to serve him breakfast. He tries to sit and lay on it and if I don't react (I just can't care much about the damage in 5 a.m.) he starts to pull on it - gets his claws out and pulls my hair out of the bun with them. All resistance is futile - I get up and serve the master. Then my hair is at peace for 24 hours :)

RapunzelKat
February 6th, 2012, 01:57 PM
My kitties love my hair, especially my little female. They think it's so handy that I have a cat toy permanently attached to my head :D They both love to play with my braid tassel, and she loves to pounce on my hair when I have it spread across the back of the couch to dry.
I do let them play with it a little, I'm just careful not to let either of them get a good grip! ;) Luckily she seems to have outgrown attacking it while I sleep. :)

beachgirlla
February 6th, 2012, 02:04 PM
At least this is better than a cat that chase your legs when you walk or attack your legs when you sleep ( I do mean attack !! like with TEETH and CLAWS) and out of nowhere attack your arm when you are massaging him for no reason just because he likes to play :D
I hope you can train her to stop as this is no no territory and its not fun when there is pain, well in my case I have many tiny scars to prove it, LOL, but what can I do, I picked a breed that is called Bengal, he has a wild thing about him that everyone likes, of course I the one who pays the price :p

Lady Neeva
February 6th, 2012, 04:41 PM
My brother snags my mom's hair out of place all the time. Imagine how atrocious that feels

Ligeia_13
February 6th, 2012, 04:45 PM
One of my cats loves licking hair. My dad encourages it because it cracks him up, even though after a while she'll start using her claws to hold your head in place. But sometimes she'll get up on back of our armchair while I'm sitting in it and try doing it to me, which I think is funny, but I don't want her to do it. Scratchy cat tongues can't be good for hair.

My cat likes to lick my hair too! She doesn't even do it as if she's brushing it, she just sticks her tongue out and starts licking in any direction.

rachel809
February 6th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Ok, it's reassuring to know my cats aren't the only ones who do this! My older one will strategically takes a claw and pulls strands away from my bun or braid, so effective and annoying! He doesn't hurt, just annoys me enough to get me to obey his will...

pixietail
February 6th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Our almost-grown cat Mitten loves hair too. She likes cuddly up by my head in bed and attack my hair with her teeth and claws. As cute as she looks doing it, and as devoted a cat slave as I am, I've recently banned her from doing it anymore. I also have a friend who has a immensely long hair, usually in a braid, that Mitten likes to attack. But then, that kitten in made of badness. If she's awake, she's trying to destroy something.

turtlelover
February 6th, 2012, 05:59 PM
My cat used to LOVE to groom my hair obsessively when it was super short. She seems to leave it alone now that it is growing longer.

Piyo
February 6th, 2012, 05:59 PM
My kitties use to do this often, especially when they were kittens. I would let them chew on my hair, but with how I am now, I don't know if I'd let them get away with that!

Sheryl
February 6th, 2012, 06:03 PM
My little girl kitty likes to play with my braid too. She doesn't hurt it and is such a cutie!

jacqueline101
February 6th, 2012, 08:31 PM
My cat smells my hair oils and sneezes in my hair she thinks I'm a kleenex.

AspenSong
February 6th, 2012, 08:51 PM
My one older cat doesn't care, but my two younger male cats DEF think my hair is a toy or something to eat. lol. It's especially when I'm brushing it lately, I can't have them in the room hardly because they're jumping and swatting at my ends. :p

DoubleCrowned
February 6th, 2012, 09:29 PM

Scratchy cat tongues are good for kitty hair, so probably won't hurt your hair... if done in the right direction. But, claws on the scalp? Ouch.

My cat would lick my hair in the correct direction as far as his neck would stretch, then hold down the hair with his paw where he ended for a fresh start and take another long lick.

sfgirl
February 6th, 2012, 11:53 PM
My cat actually chewed some of my mom's WL hair off while she was sleeping, and now she has awkward top layers. :( Be careful!

Amber_Maiden
February 7th, 2012, 09:50 AM
My cat licks my hair, he doesn't play with it. The other cat, my husband's, doesn't care about anything.

melusine963
February 10th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I don't have a cat, but if I'm not careful and let it dangle too far down my gerbils will chew on the end of my braid. They seem especially attracted by colourful elastics and will nibble right through them.

SpinDance
February 10th, 2012, 02:31 PM
My cat (male) loves to play with my braid, or even my hair when it's loose, which is rare. If I'm sitting on the floor I'm in easy range, but if I'm sitting in a chair that he can get up behind me on the chair (like in a kitchen type chair) he'll often jump up behind me. Sometimes he'll just sleep there, but if I take my hair down, or I've got a braid hanging down, he'll attack it and even take off the elastic and run off with it. My oldest son is convinced that he taught the cat to do this, for some reason. If my hair is loose the cat will sort of jump into it with both front feet and his mouth, which is a bit startling if you don't know he's aiming for you!

Viola88
February 12th, 2012, 06:31 AM
I have an 11 year old 22 lb big tom. On the drive home after adopting him as a kitten, he sat on my shoulder, chewing my hair. He still does it. Right now, I wear my hair down a lot. When I bend down to tie my shoes, he comes running. He bats the hair with his paws and generally attacks and pulls. :) He's partially sitting on my lap right now and I have my hair tucked away or he would be attacking. He'll grab and chew if he gets a chance to when I am not paying attention.

Heian Beauty
February 12th, 2012, 06:45 AM
My uncle's cat likes to knead hair when it's got spread over something soft (arm of the sofa, my chest, my back). I don't think it's specifically hair he likes though, just kneading soft things.

CastaDiva
February 12th, 2012, 09:21 AM
My cat is scared of my hair when I wear it down. She runs and hide if it touches her when we play, so I try to keep my hair out of the way when I'm around my Agnes:)

TitaniaOfFairys
February 12th, 2012, 11:25 AM
My cats were never interested in playing with my hair, but my dog loves to hunt down the end of my braid and pulls the elastic out of it :D :D :D

Beckstar
February 12th, 2012, 12:24 PM
My cat doesn't play with my hair but he will swat at my braid to get my attentions in the morning when it's time to get up. Or he will try to push my braid out of the way if he wants to sleep on my back/chest or whatever side I'm sleeping on...:cheese:

Capybara
February 12th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Yup, my cats play with my hair. I actually like it, it is super funny to have a kitty batting at your ponytail! They've never done any damage. They have their claws, too, but I've never had any hairs pulled out or anything :)

misspurdy06
February 12th, 2012, 01:48 PM
My cats think my hair is a chew toy, a dangling toy, a nest and a mouse.