PDA

View Full Version : Do these ingredients sound drying?

WillowHair87
February 6th, 2012, 10:42 AM
I bought an oil treatment and would like opinions on the ingredients. My hair is currently dry and was thinking of using this in replace of plain castor oil

-glycerine,propyline glycol,mineral oil, aloe vera oil,castor oil, almond oil, rosemary oil,olive oil,lanolin, vitamin a, vitamin e, panthenol, menthol,methyl salicylate, herbal extract-aloe vera,ginseng,rosemary,chamomile,henna, clyclomethicone,phenoxyethanol,butyl paraben,propyl paraben, methyl pareben.

It's called, sahara oil caress single bible hair treatment.

WillowHair87
February 6th, 2012, 11:15 AM
I bought an oil treatment and would like opinions on the ingredients. My hair is currently dry and was thinking of using this in replace of plain castor oil

-glycerine,propyline glycol,mineral oil, aloe vera oil,castor oil, almond oil, rosemary oil,olive oil,lanolin, vitamin a, vitamin e, panthenol, menthol,methyl salicylate, herbal extract-aloe vera,ginseng,rosemary,chamomile,henna, clyclomethicone,phenoxyethanol,butyl paraben,propyl paraben, methyl pareben.

I would use this mixed in with a deep conditioning mask, honey, coconut oil and aloe vera gel.

then do the normal wash and condition.

smells minty..

hmm..

puts me off.

Siiri
February 6th, 2012, 11:40 AM
It has humectants, (aloe vera gel, glycerine, propyline glycol, pathenol), which can be drying if you live in a dry environment and especially if you'd use them as a leave-in. But if you're using it as a deep treatment, it's probably not such an issue. Where I live it's pretty dry right now, and I haven't had problems with humectants - I have them in my deep treatments and conditioners. I use oil as a leave-in, because oil is supposed to help keep the moisture in the hair. While doing deep treatments, I use a shower cap to keep the moisture in, because the air in our department is pretty dry too, probably drier than outside.

It has also some a small amount of silicones (cyclomethicone), but there are a lot of people who like them, so it may not be a problem. They are not automatically drying.

B-L
February 6th, 2012, 11:44 AM
I don't know how drying it is :confused: It does contain alcohol (that dryes hair) and cones (if you are trying to avoid them).

If you're looking for a good treatment for dry hair then try a SMT = Snowymoon's Moister Treatment, that is very popular! :cheese:

Siiri
February 6th, 2012, 11:50 AM
The alcohols it has are non-drying ones, btw.

allio21
February 6th, 2012, 12:03 PM
I've heard mineral oil (paraffin, petroleum jelly) actually dries out. I think it makes your hair and skin feel and look healthy and moisturized but doesn't actually make it healthy and moisturized. If that makes sense.

rock007junkie
February 6th, 2012, 12:40 PM

The mineral oil can coat your hair and won't allow any moisture in. The cyclomethicone is a silicon that will coat your hair as well.

ktani
February 6th, 2012, 12:40 PM
I've heard mineral oil (paraffin, petroleum jelly) actually dries out. I think it makes your hair and skin feel and look healthy and moisturized but doesn't actually make it healthy and moisturized. If that makes sense.

That is a myth, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86298

ktani
February 6th, 2012, 12:42 PM

This is quite a mix. Bottom line it is not drying. It will build-up because of the botanicals and lanolin, which is a wax but if you clarify that is no big deal. It can help moisturize your hair. Use it damp hair and it can help rehydrate it, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=86298

WillowHair87
February 7th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Thanks guys. What would be the best way to use this then?

I tend to mix castor oil with coconut oil and a deep moisturising conditioner.

on damp hair?

I'm still worried as it smells sooo mintyish. lol. Makes me think it'll dy my already dry hair even more.