PDA

View Full Version : Reminiscing, trying to get back my curls!

rachel809
February 6th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Joining LHC has made me really look back at my hair history. I have always worn my hair APL or BSL, and in high school had almost waist length curly hair.

In my 20's I had a few really BAD haircuts (bangs can be a blessing and curse I have found), and my hair has straightened out. I am excited to learn that I may be able to coax my curls back out with better treatment. Right now I suffer from dry scalp - oily roots - dry ends and I am resisting my regular 2 month cut.

Here is my hair back in High School when it was long and CURLY! http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w450/rachl809/Longcurlyhair2003blurred.jpg

It's in a half pony and you can still see those tight ringlets! That's back in '03. It started turning into looser waves in my early 20's:
http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w450/rachl809/March2007blurred.jpg

And now it's mostly straight with some very loose waves on top - when I'm lucky:

http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w450/rachl809/Hair02-06-12.jpg

You can see the super straight under layer through the deceptive waves. I am hoping that by moisturizing and doing CWC I will get them back.

Has anyone else had their curls disappear and become temperamental?

jacqueline101
February 6th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Have you thought about layers or going shorter with them?

Avital88
February 6th, 2012, 11:07 AM
moisture will do sister ;-), no layers needed !!
my curls went away for a while too(bad handling) and now come back strong,its tailbone and i feel like getting curlier every week..
I suggest not to brush it,especially not when wet, and you might wanna look for Amla oil..
I'm sure you will get them back with some good care:)

rachel809
February 6th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Hi Jacqueline101 and Avital88!

@Jacqueline101, I have lots of layers, some very short in the front. It doesn't really make a difference for the texture.

@Avital88, thanks for the enthusiasm! I hope you're right! Any suggestions for a good deep conditioning regimen? I am going to try SMT this week I think, just need to load up on the ingredients.

moon2dove
February 6th, 2012, 11:48 AM
To encourage my waves and ringlets, I spray my hair with a mixture of conditioner and water and essential oil.

rachel809
February 6th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the idea moon2dove! I was wondering if there was a way to coax girls without using any damaging styling products. Any particular essential oil? I am thinking that I am going to just try using coconut oil (once I get some) as my go to oil for all deep conditioning and other treatments.

melusine963
February 13th, 2012, 04:03 PM
My hair used to be properly curly until I hit about waist length. Now it's just frizzy/wavy/occasionally curly. It's stopped having any kind of uniform texture too. The front bits still make nice spirals, but not much else. I think I'll follow rachel809's oiling advice and see if that helps.

Amazinggrace
February 13th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I have tried the "curly girl method," I have heard very good things about that?

Achtland
February 13th, 2012, 06:05 PM
In all honesty, I actually prefer the most recent hair picture!

I understand you are trying to embrace your inner curly girl however so I will let you know what works for me. In between washes to freshen up my look sometimes I will have a bath and get all my hair wet but not touch it, wash it, condition, anything (brushing before hand for tangles helps). Then I get out and just leave. it. No towel drying, scrunching, especially NO touching. My hair seems CRAZY at first till it is about 80% dry, then it starts making more sense. Seems to waken my natural inner waves. It's quite harmless so might be worth a shot!

Good Luck :flower:

Hollyfire3
February 13th, 2012, 06:11 PM
What moisture products and or routines do you use? My curls have gone MIA from damage! Any in depth tips?

tokitoki
February 13th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Well I've had the opposite experience, where my hair was once straight but is now wavy. Still, I notice if I bun or braid it that it tends to straighten out (to the point of bun or braid waves) but the more days in a row I let it air dry and do its own thing, the curlier it gets. However, I can't usually deal with it down so up it goes. But I would encourage you to try to give it a chance to bounce back by giving it a break from braids and buns, if you do those regularly. That could make a difference. For me I know I have to leave it alone consistently for it to really remember that it's curly.

rachel809
February 14th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Thanks for all of the advice and comments! I did try the SMT and it was wonderful, only I should not have put any on my roots - greasies galore. I washed CWC today though, and it should be back under control. I am also going to start applying coconut oil to the ends a few hours before washing. My hair is super moisturized and behaving lovely. Definitely not back to its former "curl glory" but I am getting some beautifully defined waves.

Hopefully as I start treating it better, I will coax out those curls!

Dragon Faery
February 14th, 2012, 07:56 PM
*Subscribing!*

I have seen my hair gradually regain some of the curl it had in high school, in the 7 months that I have been here and treating it better. But I still haven't gotten back a few of the ringlets I used to have, specifically the ones behind each ear. I'm hampered by wearing it up all the time to stop breakage, but hoping to profit by any and all advice here. :)

rena
February 14th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Is it possible you are using any products with cones' in them? I know those can really flatten curls out very much.