PDA

View Full Version : Buns for really thick hair?

Artsygirl71
February 6th, 2012, 08:42 AM
How long does your hair have to be to do a celtic knot/bun? I have watched many Youtube vids on how to do them. Many of the girls have shorter hair than I - and I still cannot do it. My hair is waist length, but super thick. I feel like my hair has to be extra long in order to do many of the cool twists and buns. I cannot do an infinity bun either...it slips out and my fork won't hold it.....I bummed.... any tips? Should I layer may hair to thin it out more? :rolleyes:

pepperminttea
February 6th, 2012, 08:48 AM
You just need more length I'm afraid. Your coils will be wider due to the thickness, and that'll mean you'll need more length to make as many as someone with thinner hair. It's frustrating, but I wouldn't recommend thinning your hair with layers, they'll just pop out of the styles (unless that's the look you're going for). Try looking at styles for less length than you have (ie. if you're at bra-strap length, try looking for styles for arm-pit length). The pencil bun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34#at=016) - a variation of the lazy wrap bun - works well for a lot of people. :)

Madora
February 6th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Longer hair helps with buns in general.

If you have really thick hair then you might want to look into sectioning your hair when doing buns with twists, ropes or braids. Sectioning helps distribute your hair more comfortably, plus doesn't put all the stress on one particular spot (i.e. the ponytail base used in some buns).

If you're looking to do updos in the future, layers are not your friend.

bumblebums
February 6th, 2012, 09:14 AM
You can probably do a Gibson tuck at your current length and thickness.

Also, if one bun doesn't work, try making two. They can look kind of young for a professional setting, but at least you get to practice until your hair grows out.

Loreley
February 6th, 2012, 10:10 AM
I couldn't do the celtic knot till my hair was about 45" long, although it is not incredibly thick.
I wear a modified cinnamon bun almost all the time.

Sundial
February 6th, 2012, 10:38 AM
I still can't do the Celtic knot either and I'm sure it's not from lack of trying :p I have layers in my hair and even though it's a little past hip, I still can't do it. There are some styles that require more length especially if your hair is thick and doesn't have layers.

I always try to go back to certain styles when I reach new milestones just to see if I have grown into them.

torrilin
February 6th, 2012, 10:59 AM
I can do a celtic knot now at around 30-32" of hair. I don't have any hair wrapping around the knot yet, but I can make the knot :). I'd need another 6" or so to get it looking really spiffy. But I'm a fairly middle of the road ii, and that means I have a lot more flex in terms of styles. You'll usually be able to do a plain knot bun with rather less hair. For me, about 25" will do it.

I can do the infinity bun based on a cinnabun at around 27", tho it holds better with more length. On my hair, a figure 8 tends to hold better. There are a lot of infinity and figure 8 variations based around 2 or more braids, and you might find they work better for you. I do a bunch of them, and almost all the ones I find are designed by ladies who have thicker hair than I do, because sectioning thick hair makes it easier to put it up.

On all of these, I'd expect you'd need another 6-12" of length to do the same style, because my ponytail is 3" around tops, and yours is thicker.

Anje
February 6th, 2012, 12:41 PM
As others have said, you need more length. You're going to have much wider, fatter buns than those of us with skinny hair. (Wow, that reads wrong!)

A good way to cheat and do these styles earlier is to do them just with the top half of your hair. Gather the top section, do the bun with it. Then wrap the lower half of your hair around it. Sometimes, like with an infinity bun, you might be able to wrap it underneath the "wings" of the infinity before pinning the thing down. Other times, you'll just want to wrap it around the outside like a frame.

Hair pins are your friends. Most of us like Amish hairpins (and use them like mini hairforks). With thick hair, you may find you want to use a LOT of them to distribute the weight comfortably.

Artsygirl71
February 7th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Thank you all for the tips :)

heidi w.
February 7th, 2012, 12:19 PM
How long does your hair have to be to do a celtic knot/bun? I have watched many Youtube vids on how to do them. Many of the girls have shorter hair than I - and I still cannot do it. My hair is waist length, but super thick. I feel like my hair has to be extra long in order to do many of the cool twists and buns. I cannot do an infinity bun either...it slips out and my fork won't hold it.....I bummed.... any tips? Should I layer may hair to thin it out more? :rolleyes:

Layering, in the long haired world, is generally not the friendliest thing to hair. And for updos presents real problems.

You don't need thinner hair; you need longer hair. I have no idea what length your hair is at.

heidi w.

heidi w.
February 7th, 2012, 12:21 PM
As you gain in overall length, some updos will be unavailable to you; whereas, others, you have to tweak to be able to complete them. French twist is my example. I have a lot of hair and it won't all fit in a french twist, anymore.

heidi w.

*Aneles*
February 7th, 2012, 12:36 PM
a cinnamon bun ? that was my favorite bun.

Artsygirl71
February 7th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I tried a lazy wrap bun last night and it actually came out really nice. Pretty tight hold too.
I also attempted the infinity bun, which I can do......... problem is getting a clip or fork to hold it in place firmly. Hair sticks & ficcarre do not seem to work on it

UltraBella
February 7th, 2012, 01:45 PM
I never had a problem with my layers when my hair was TBL, my updos didn't suffer because of them at all. And I liked the wispy bits around my face, it made the updos look softer.