PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles for a female auto mechanic?

Blackfire
February 6th, 2012, 04:56 AM
I love cars and I love taking them apart and putting them back together.... and learning all about how they work! I made the descision (against some comments from sexist family) to enroll in a ford certification program at the comunity college nearby. Im super exited to learn more and start a career in a garage! :cheese::cheese::cheese:

My boyfriend (who is attending beauty school currently) brought up a few concerns about hair.... My hair is shortish now but it has always been long and the only reason its short now is because I cut mine into a pixie when my mom lost hers to chemo :( He got me thinking..... How am I going to style my hair for garage work and still look....... well, feminine???

Im def not the butch type.... I need cute ways to cover my hair and not look manish, or like an old lady in the rain.... or like a religious hair-coverer! Ideas???? PLEASSS!!!!

Aveyronnaise
February 6th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Yay, I was a mechanic and service advisor for some years before I moved to europe .It was really fun. However on the hair situation , I had an almost shaved head with bangs and side pieces. I had to wash daily due to debris in my hair .
I would try to cover your hair up somehow , you could do a cute 1940's bandana wrap ? But a hat is a better idea because you really have to watch out for anything dangling. I was lucky I still have my hair and my fingers :)
I did wear gloves though they are very comfy and modern I recommend them - like I told my guys - " Your hands are your tools , protect them . "

roxee
February 6th, 2012, 05:59 AM
:)This could be a cute hairstyle that keeps your hair out of your way
http://cdnimg.visualizeus.com/thumbs/cd/f8/hair,bandana,beach,floral,girl,red-cdf8576fa81b775af18ec24a0ee48284_h.jpg

Good luck with your new career :)

Nini
February 6th, 2012, 06:05 AM
I'm a farmer, and a buff with a cap on top is what I do every day. It keeps the hair out of my way, it keeps the dirt out of my hair, and I'm not in danger of getting stuck in moving machinery, effectively scalping myself.

It's not looking all that hot the way I do it, but with the right hat and buff you like I don't see why it shouldn't look stylish and still be practical.

Lippytoes
February 6th, 2012, 06:05 AM
I love cars and I love taking them apart and putting them back together.... and learning all about how they work! I made the descision (against some comments from sexist family) to enroll in a ford certification program at the comunity college nearby. Im super exited to learn more and start a career in a garage! :cheese::cheese::cheese:

My boyfriend (who is attending beauty school currently) brought up a few concerns about hair.... My hair is shortish now but it has always been long and the only reason its short now is because I cut mine into a pixie when my mom lost hers to chemo :( He got me thinking..... How am I going to style my hair for garage work and still look....... well, feminine???

Im def not the butch type.... I need cute ways to cover my hair and not look manish, or like an old lady in the rain.... or like a religious hair-coverer! Ideas???? PLEASSS!!!!

I'd say that (especially as your hair gets longer) buns and such will probably be your best bet. But yeah, covering your hair with cute bandannas and scarves is probably a good idea. Also, crown braids (when your hair is longer)!

Can I just say that I think it's super awesome that you're training to be a mechanic and your boyfriend is in beauty school? :cheese:

StormVixen
February 6th, 2012, 06:10 AM
I've been known to use a (clean) spanner to put my hair up... but I *always* cover my hair with hat or scarf whilst working on my car... :)

jacqueline101
February 6th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Twin braid criss crossed and pinned to your head with barrettes or clips.

Vanilla
February 6th, 2012, 06:32 AM
Twin braid criss crossed and pinned to your head with barrettes or clips.

I second this. I used to do a lot of car work and this hairstyle kept my hair out of my face and safe. As others have mentioned, I'd cover it with a scarf when you are actually underneath the car.

Blackfire
February 6th, 2012, 06:35 AM
I would love to braid it up securely and wrap it 1940s style.... but everytime I try that It looks REALLY bad... like ashamed to leave the house bad on me. and YES I always wear gloves and usualy a ball cap. I feel that before classes start is a good time to find something a little more sophisticated then a ballcap..... I need a trademark if you will, lol. Silk scarves my be the way to go? How to tie them is the question... and also get all the hair in it....hmm hmmm hmm

Its good to see other girls who like cars, the men in my family think im wierd hehe :D

StormVixen
February 6th, 2012, 06:53 AM
I suggest starting a collection of different hats and scarves, my personal favorite hat style is the peaked beanie, I wouldn't say I'm interested in carS, Just the Peugeot 205 <3 (oh and maybe the LandRover Defender :P)... Good luck with your course :D

Vanilla
February 6th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I would love to braid it up securely and wrap it 1940s style.... but everytime I try that It looks REALLY bad... like ashamed to leave the house bad on me. and YES I always wear gloves and usualy a ball cap. I feel that before classes start is a good time to find something a little more sophisticated then a ballcap..... I need a trademark if you will, lol. Silk scarves my be the way to go? How to tie them is the question... and also get all the hair in it....hmm hmmm hmm

Its good to see other girls who like cars, the men in my family think im wierd hehe :D

What about a french or Dutch braid with the tail bobby pinned underneath?

jeanniet
February 6th, 2012, 12:06 PM
I'm a farmer, and a buff with a cap on top is what I do every day. It keeps the hair out of my way, it keeps the dirt out of my hair, and I'm not in danger of getting stuck in moving machinery, effectively scalping myself.

It's not looking all that hot the way I do it, but with the right hat and buff you like I don't see why it shouldn't look stylish and still be practical.
How do you do your buff? I wear a buff a lot, but usually I either just do the beanie style (a little looser so it fits over my bun) or tuck the ends underneath at the back of my neck. Just wondering if you do yours differently.

You can also use two buffs together in contrasting colors--one to cover your head, and the other as a sort of hair band over the first. I have a bright pink one I wear with a darker one sometimes to cheer up the look.

Amazinggrace
February 6th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I would do: french braid, crown braid, heidi braids bunned at the end, or upside down french braid bunned at the top.

I would wear a buff or scarf whenever I worked under the car. I would also use aloe, or gel to keep the flyways in place as your hair gets longer. You wouldn't want the flyaways to get caught in any parts.

MamaCimino
February 6th, 2012, 01:06 PM
I just wanted to say good luck with school! My hubby and I own an automotive repair and exhaust shop and I know how dirty his hair can get and it is short!!! Last year he actually had long hair and he usually had it in a low pony tail and under a cap or hat.
I think some sort of braid that hung down like an English or French braid so you could either tuck it in your hat or down your shirt in back, though that might not be too comfy if your on one of those wheeled boards... (I'm not the mechanic ;)) but it may depend on the school too, I know when we get an intern from local community colleges they have to wear the same coveralls that his employees wear. Do you know if there is a uniform requirement?

Nevvie
February 6th, 2012, 01:14 PM
I'm not really sure on a feminine style but I would like to point out that the #1 focus should be on protecting the hair. My guess is (and I could be wrong, maybe it's just something they do here) that after you finish the program/degree and find a job you'll probably be working in maintenance - oil changes, brakes, inspections, light bulbs ect. Most people I know start out there until they have a little work experience in the field. The fluids and general gunk are very harsh on the hair. This department also goes through cars fast, expect a new one in the air every 15 minutes or so depending on what you're doing. Lots and lots of oil/dust/shavings ect. on you, your clothes, in the air, on the floor and on about everything you touch. Not enough that you'll be soaked or anything, but definitely a good layer of grime everywhere.

My boyfriend (his hair is about waist length) tends to wear a banded ponytail or braid (usually tucked into his uniform) with a skull cap/doo-rag on top. Even with the protection it's still taken a toll on his hair. Most women I know who do mechanic work have short hair =/ so that's not much help. My Dad's shop had 2 women that used to work there with longish hair. Neither had super long hair, maybe shoulder- apl. When I saw them they usually wore ponytails, folded ponytails or braids tucked up into a hat/beanie. Not very feminine but you still didn't mistake them for men or anything. There's a female motorcycle mechanic I know who wears corn rows and no hair covering. Her hair is probably a little above shoulder length and not damaged from it, though I doubt that would work at longer lengths. My younger sister started an automotive course back in high school but I'm not really sure what she did about her hair back then. Knowing her I would assume just a ponytail and hat. Low buns (as long as they aren't huge) should work. I think a braided bun would be especially useful.

I've also learned recently that co-washing (if you let it sit in the hair a while before) works pretty well at lifting some of the grime out of my bf's hair. Sometimes he still needs to shampoo after, other times the co-wash alone does the trick. It's a never ending challenge, lol. Oiling (as a leave in) didn't work out for him. It just seemed to draw more gunk to his hair.

Oh and completely hair unrelated but do NOT wear any jewelry on your hands. My Dad saw more than one person lose a ring or finger when their wedding band got stuck or caught in something. BF also took a pretty good chunk of skin out of his hand when his watch got caught. He doesn't even keep extra hair elastics around his wrist anymore because of it, puts them around his phone clip instead.

Good luck! Female mechanics are a minority but they aren't that rare, not where I live anyways. I'm sure you'll fit in just fine :)

HelloKitteh
February 6th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Awesome idea to be doing what you want! I did IT/Computing, which is a bit sexist because they've usually never been near a girl that's not a mother or a sister!
Careful with the 'being feminine' side of things, we'd love the world to be different, but in general people will judge you according to how you look, and looking too feminine these days may get customers to think you won't be able to do the job. You will need to be very good at your job for sure, to get the respect of your team mates. Customers at the beginning may be worried that the car won't be taken care of properly, but you might get some bonus points with female customers if you can make them feel that they can trust you!
So, if you still want to go for feminine, a nice bun would be the best. The guys, who will have been instructed to never let hair hang, etc. will be waiting for you to make the mistake of having your hair down, showing how little you know about basic health and safety (implying you're a total moron that doesn't belong). So I would avoid tresses or anything that sticks out of your head more than your ears! A shame because I'm sure you'd attract interest with a bandana over 2 tresses! :D

As another poster said, your hair will get dirty, so you might want to consider using some water-based hydrating cream during the day while your hair is tied, wash it off when you get home and have absolutely fabulous hair every evening! (Phyto 7 might do the trick, rather than an oily base, but experienced LHCers will know better)
There's a trick for nails getting dirty also, scratch soap so that it's filling up the gaps between nail and fingers where the dirt would lodge, and the cleaning might be a bit easier after work.

Again, so glad you're doing this if this is what you love.
All the best

sfgirl
February 6th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Can I just say that I think it's super awesome that you're training to be a mechanic and your boyfriend is in beauty school? :cheese:

This is exactly what I was thinking!!! Yay for breaking gender norms!:cheese:

Blackfire
February 8th, 2012, 07:03 AM
I do realize that safety is the first concern when it it comes to long hair and moving machinery.... Imjust trying to think of a way to be myself and retain my feminine side while still being a functional (and pretty XP) technician/student.

Ive already a few XP where I was treated differently due to being female. Not cool, but I get that everwhere and honestly.... Im just different in general so Im used to it :) Ive done enough car work to know that I have to tie or braid it ALL up to be safe.. I just need to find some good secure ways to cover this curly mess, lol.

as for grease and grime.... another reason I want it always covered. if its covered, it wont get too dirty right?

Nevvie
February 8th, 2012, 07:39 AM
I do realize that safety is the first concern when it it comes to long hair and moving machinery.... Imjust trying to think of a way to be myself and retain my feminine side while still being a functional (and pretty XP) technician/student.

Ive already a few XP where I was treated differently due to being female. Not cool, but I get that everwhere and honestly.... Im just different in general so Im used to it :) Ive done enough car work to know that I have to tie or braid it ALL up to be safe.. I just need to find some good secure ways to cover this curly mess, lol.

as for grease and grime.... another reason I want it always covered. if its covered, it wont get too dirty right?

Hmm, I almost wonder if the things I use for my hair while riding might work. I can't remember their exact name - hair sock, hair sleeve... something like that. I think there's even a couple threads on here about them, they're fairly popular with motorcycle riders. It could protect the hair while still showing the length and they come in a variety of styles/colors. It also holds the hair pretty tight, it wouldn't be able to slip out like with a scarf. They only cover from the nape down (how far down depends on the style and size, some only cover a couple inches, some cover all but the ends and some completely contain the ends) but could be paired with a hat, bandana, scarf ect. to protect the top of your hair. You could even color match them, maybe a solid cover sleeve and a printed scarf with accent colors that match the sleeve.

ETA: These things - http://www.touringdepot.com/wrapter.html I don't know of and can't recommend that brand in particular but it gives you a good idea of what they look like and how they work. There are many, many other types and styles.

Falcore
February 10th, 2012, 06:50 AM
I work on cars all day but I do panel beater work and it's diiiiiiirty work. I care more for protecting my hair compared to being feminine. I usually bun it and put a cap on or bun with a scarf. I would HATE for my hair to get caught in the machinery so that is my number one priority. Perhaps pretty clips or some lip gloss to be more feminine in such a male orientated place could work?

Good on you too for doing what you want and forget those sexist comments. I get comments from new male customers allllll the time. It is funny seeing their faces when they're not expecting me (I'm far from butch) to be working on their car, and a lot seem to get worried that I will hurt myself lol.

HelloKitteh
February 12th, 2012, 02:05 PM
...and a lot seem to get worried that I will hurt myself lol.
So funny!!

annamoonfairy
February 12th, 2012, 02:14 PM
I would buy a short wig that is fully lined to protect my hair and still look cute : )

Littlewing13
February 12th, 2012, 02:58 PM
I knew a mechanic that had looong hair (i think she usually grew it to classic before trimming it to waist, then grew again. It was never shorter than waist). She always wore it up in a bun. She had no fringe or layers though.

Blackfire
February 12th, 2012, 04:17 PM
As for a wig.... I wear wigs to cosplay and they are HELL on the hair underneath! even with a wigcap... also im not THAT worried about looks. Its not like I want to be glamorous or anything lol. Im really trying to think of way to cover ALL of my hair without looking odd. I always look kinda freaky when I cover it all.... I will still wear my signature black eyeliner and probably will never stop, lol. I even wear eyeliner to the gym.... and hiking. :D.... I love the ponytail wrappers for when my hair gets longer! I could tuck that down my shirt back and it would be safe with the front wrapped in a scarf if I wanted to show off length!

I also looked into tichels and snoods and found some cute stuff. I saw a little headband that religous hair coverers use to hold on scarfs and tichels and thought that maybe that would help me not look odd with my hair covered? idk... Im going to start ordering stuff for back to school shortly! Also searching for tools to add to my colection, lol. so much fun!

omnivore
February 12th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Coming late to the thread, but just wanted to throw out that I do just about all the work that my car or pickup might need. I wouldn't go so far as to call myself a mechanic, but I can hold my own and keep my 'kids' on the road.

I don't worry so much about my hair getting dirty; For me, it's just going to happen. It could be middle of winter and I'm bundled up in long johns, fleece pants, fleece pullover, shop jacket, and insulated Carhartt coveralls and I still find brake dust on my torso. You betcha my hair is going to get dirty. :)

What I do really worry about is snagging it on something or a fan eating it and scalping me. Plus, when it gets in my face and tickles me, it drives me bonkers.

When I'm doing car work, my hair is generally restrained in one the following ways. If it's wintertime, I bun it and hold it in place with a fleece hat. In the summer, I braid it and fold the braid on itself and secure it with three or four elastics. To keep wispies at bay, I'll add a stretchy latex lined headband.

Pierre
February 12th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Two braids, bunned or crossed, and covered with a Buff will do quite well with your hairtype. If you get oil on it, you can take the Buff off and wash it, instead of having to undo your hair.

trolleypup
February 12th, 2012, 08:12 PM
I'm a fan of ponyscrubs (http://http://www.blueskyscrubs.com/)...they are my favorite hair protection when out doing logging and treadwork on trails. And they come in a vast range of pretty colors/patterns.

mz_butterfly
February 12th, 2012, 08:20 PM
When it gets long enough you can start off with little ponytails and a bandanna or a hat. When it's longer you can braid and cover it. Anything to keep that grease out of your hair and keep your hair out of dangers way, like a running fan if your head is poked under the hood, will be to your advantage.

My biggest concern would be not getting sucked into the fan or slammed in a door, hood or trunk and my secondary concern would be dirty hair. Or rather hair so dirty that it takes a harsh shampoo and several washings to get clean.