PDA

View Full Version : Co-washing/dry scalp help!

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 5th, 2012, 07:07 PM
So I have a dry itchy, flaky scalp and co-washing works and gets rid of the itchy and everything, its great.
BUT. It doesnt clean my hair very well. My hair will get oily very fast, and within a day its dirty again, my bangs will get all stringy and flat and gross. I have fine hair, so its really hard to keep it from looking dirty without using sulfates.
If i shampoo, i use a sulfate free shampoo. Loreal everpure, I think it is. I believe its the moisturizing one. Which cleans my hair really well, but my scalp is usually not happy by the end of the day, as in my scalp gets itchy and irritated throughout the day and not instantly after hairs dried after a shower like maybe some people see with dandruff/dry scalp.

I tried just shampooing my bangs and conditioning the rest, but usually I get flare ups in the same areas anyway.
I tried a tea tree oil shampoo, didnt work.
I tried a dandruff shampoo, didnt work.
I tried monistat, didnt work.
I use to apply castor oil every 3 days, which made my hair GREASY, but it worked. That worked for about a month then for some reason stopped working, I dont know why.

So what do you guys recommend I do?
I currently have coconut oil, which i use for my ends.
I also have jojoba oil, probably some olive oil somewhere in the kitchen.
I just dont want to oil my scalp after or before each wash just to end up having limp oily hair after a few hours. Help? :confused:

Tia2010
February 5th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Maybe you could try mixing a tiny bit of shampoo with your conditioner wash? So it's still a CO type wash but maybe just enough shampoo to help? Or maybe try a clarifying conditioner like V05 kiwi or something similar it may be enough to help with the cleaning while still being OK on your scalp.

rachel809
February 5th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Hey Rebeccalauren,

I have the same problems as you - dry scalp, oily roots, dry ends so while I don't have anything to add, I really appreciate you bringing the topic up and will be watching for answers/insights! GL!

Madora
February 5th, 2012, 09:05 PM
I'd concentrate on getting the scalp clean first with a gentle shampoo formulated for your scalp condition.

Perhaps diluting it a bit with water might help.

Apply diluted conditioner after you've shampooed and see how your hair responds.

I'd go easy on adding anything else until 3 or 4 days have elapsed.

Rebeccalaurenxx
February 7th, 2012, 04:33 AM
Like, baby shampoo?

Madora
February 7th, 2012, 08:43 AM
You might want to ask other LHCers about gentle shampoo recommendations for oily hair. I've had no experience with baby shampoo since I was that age.

Good luck!

Remember, a shampoo cleans both your hair and your scalp. A conditioner protects the strands.

Bagginslover
February 7th, 2012, 08:49 AM
I used to use baby shampoo for my greasy hair, it worked beautifully (this was before I was a member here, and MANY years ago!). I was lured away from using it by pretty packaging and promises in adverts... :p

cuties
February 7th, 2012, 09:41 AM
You can try a mix of melted shea butter (do not heat it directly, instead put it in a bowl and keep the bowl in hot water for a couple of minutes) and coconut oil (1 tbs each). Apply this mixture to your scalp and hair an hour before washing and cover with a shower cap or towel. Then wash with a mild shampoo (I use Alaffia scalp recovery shampoo) and condition your ends. You can do this whenever you want to wash your hair and within a week, you should see improvement. This worked for me. I also have dry scalp/oily roots and dry hair ends.