PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyles for under a helmet.

Alix
February 5th, 2012, 12:54 PM
I just started roller derby and I need to figure out a way to get my hair up. I'm not so concerned about protection, but I HATE hair on the back of my neck when I workout. Which leaves out a nape bun.

I've been doing a single french braid to the side, but the braid is getting fuzzy.
Any ideas?

Madora
February 5th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Perhaps this simple lace French twisted crown braid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPHEzUr5bWQ

Alix
February 5th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I do love me some crown braids, but my helmet sits snuggly, and Any hair on top will make it to small. I thought about it thought, crown braids are my go to for working out.

darklyndsea
February 5th, 2012, 01:59 PM
How far down does your helmet go in the back?

Alix
February 5th, 2012, 03:29 PM
It's a skating helmet, so all the way down to the nape. I'm trying twin braids tonight so we'll see how that goes.

jacqueline101
February 5th, 2012, 03:35 PM
I'd suggest the twin braids or pig tails.

white.chocolate
February 5th, 2012, 03:43 PM
If the updo sits flat on your head, will it do? I can only think of the braided beehive. You might want to make it 4-5 strands.

Aethernaught
February 5th, 2012, 08:53 PM
I have two motorcycle and two bicycle helmets; right now my hair is so short that I use the 1/4" smaller helmets, or the larger ones with a knit hat under (great for winter.) When my hair was longer I did dual ponytails up top and laid them over and around each other, then crammed my helmets on, hair took up all the space.

Amazinggrace
February 5th, 2012, 08:58 PM
The microindonesian braid. It is very tight to the head, and protects great :)

novemberfoxtrot
February 6th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I wear two french braids under my bicycle helmet but I'm worried about yours getting pulled during derby. OUCH!

I haven't tried this but what about a french braid with the tail tucked up and under?

I am going to try a crown braid for my work out today, what a great idea!

Eden75
February 6th, 2012, 11:36 AM
For roller derby I have been wearing double braids. I have to redo them a couple of times throughout the match but they have been working well. For under my motocross helmet, I pull it into a low pony tail and then braid the ends. It then gets tucked into a satin bag that my mother in law has made for the back of my helmet. I never, never, never tuck all of my hair into my helmet as it will not fit properly if I do, which then renders the helmet useless. I'd rather be bald than dead.

Silver Swan
February 7th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Hi Alix,

My hair was a bit shorter when I was playing roller derby, but I always just did twin braids. I don't recall them ever getting caught or being a problem during game play. (Hair pulling is not allowed!) If you find they swing around a bit too much (all that looking behind you!), you could tye/braid the twin braids together at some point down your back. They would still be off the nape of your neck.

If your helmet fits snuggly and well, I can't imagine you getting any hair up under it. Some of the other ideas like crown braid might work if you bought/have another helmet one size larger?

Happy skating!! :D

HelloKitteh
February 7th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Arg, computer crashed, I'd written 3 options, can't face writing it all down again, so here are the 2 most 'unexpected'.
They both use a fabric cap (for example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Light-Blue-Du-Rag-Wave-Cap-Sleeping-Cap-Doo-Rag-Durag-Unisex-Men-Women-/360431343328?pt=US_Hats&hash=item53eb61d6e0 - if link disappears, search for "Spandex Wig Cap Wave Swimming Cap Fitted Wrinkle Free Durag Du-rag Doo-rag")

One of the options is simply to braid your hair, roll it around your head and use the cap to hold your hair, making it dead easy to fit the helmet - I mean dead easy because you don't have to hold your hair while fitting the helmet, not because your head will suddenly fit into the helmet. Is it a proven fact that you shouldn't get a helmet slightly bigger, or could you do it if needed, so you can fit your hair inside it?

The other, more outlandish option, is to actually have your hair *outside* the helmet. How to proceed? Well you make 2 braids, one on top of each ear, and you use the same hole as the ear to get the braids out. If you tie them very loose, they will hardly make a bump when you fit them on top of your helmet! And then for safety/protection, you put the fabric cap on top of your helmet, hiding the braids and creating a new trend!:disco: I understand that if you're shy, it might not be the option for you, but I would consider it. Being a DIY natural, I woud then consider putting velcro ties on the helmet to guide the braids in/hold them in place, or something of the kind sewn on the cap (which would be more secure if there is a lot of impact)

We could elaborate on this easily, I have a few other ideas, but this might already be too far fetched! :stirpot: